Her Majesty's DBS Restoration Update: Inching to the Finish line...

Dear AJB Friends,

a great deal of different operations ongoing, and I must open by saying that I am impressed and delighted with Marine Boy's work. I only hope that my attention to detail is half as good as this chaps'. The brief glimpse that he has awarded me will redouble my efforts...

Leading off: The 6 cylinder twincam engine goes into the car, aided by the overhead hoist and a nifty, adjustable engine sling which can change the angle for a very uneventful and easy install.

The ZF 5 speed gearbox (virtually the same gearbox as in the V8 cars, and the Maserati Ghibli) is ready to go in via a very useful transmission stand, which is foot operated. Tiltable and adjustable 180 degrees!

My home made clutch alignment tool for the Borg and Beck 10 1/2" clutch. Clutch cover plate goes on next, then in goes the gearbox. No, wait....incorrect pilot bearing, so out goes the clutch and gearbox, bearing puller used, then a new pilot bushing made of oil impregnated bronze, and the Aston part ditched. Clutch back on, gearbox back in, and it serves me right for not measuring everything and trusting the Aston Parts guys..."The only thing that part fits is the box it came in."- a wise old mentor of mine.

Engine is now shimmed to lift the inlet side 2-3 degrees, where the Weber DCOE 9 carburettors will be happiest. Engine tilts down under load, so we must compensate. Shims were made and go under the motor mounts. Do this job right away, or you'll have to disconnect everything when the engine gets raised to accommodate your fingers!

I purchased a radiator fan shroud from a chap in England, and then set about to reinforce it, and take care of some rust damage. welded up, test fit, then powder coated. Chuffed with the results.

Here we go! Engine nearly ready to start. A couple of breather hoses are yet to be attached, but as I have to remove the sparking plugs and ignition leads to run the oil pressure up using the starter motor before ignition, they can wait. Filled the system with Evans Waterless Coolant- highly recommended by restorers such as Jay Leno. Found a leak. Rectified it, Chased another leak, and one more appeared. All due to original Cheney type clamps. Junked them for period correct Jubilee type. Power steering system leaks. Chased those, and rectified the leaky pump by tightening the banjo fittings that the rebuilders left loose. Again, my fault for not testing out a component before install. Another puddle of oil- leaky hose this time. Fixed and praying for no more! $8000 in plating of the brake servo canisters, hardware, bracketry, etc.

Here's a detail that the resto nerds like me adore. This radiator hose is absolutely of original materials, and I was able to score an NOS set of them from an Aston garage in Australia. The have the textured fabric type finish, but the rubber is textured, so no fabric sleeves to make it look original. I am in contact with other DBS owners worldwide, and we are campaigning for Aston Martin to reinstate the original hoses. They are very visible, and add value to the model.

During the dyno run, the engine builder suggested that I install an oil thermostat to better regulate the oil temp, as there was too much oil pressure when cold. I set up a jig with the radiator, oil radiators (coolers) and the thermostat, and had bespoke hoses made, then blacked it all out so the judges hopefully will not see them, as they are partially hidden by the grille. I also fabricated mounts for the electric cooling fans, which will be needed with modern traffic and California weather. The new oil coolers supplied by Aston Martin have a narrower spigot profile, so I had to fabricate new mounts to accommodate. More hours!

Lastly, the Millennium jack arrived from being refurbished in England, by Goldsmith and Young. A superb job, which adds value and points at concours events. That is the original jack to Her Majesty's DBS, and the internals had nearly no wear, but the seals went bad over time.

Well friends, that wraps it up. I'm getting nearer to starting the DBS for the first time in over 8 years, once the exhaust system gets built and "A few other things" get sorted. Very exciting time ahead, stay tuned and thank you for the kind well wishes. Since the San Francisco Auto Show has been cancelled again (5 years in a row), I have been invited to debut Her Majesty's DBS at the Silicon Valley Auto Show in February 25. Applying for Pebble Beach, so I need all of the prayers and karma that you can spare...

All the best,

Tom

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,570Chief of Staff

Shaping up very nicely 🍸

YNWA 97
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,332MI6 Agent

Thanks for the update, Tom. You're getting there..!

Looking forward to seeing this beauty in all its glory very soon.🤞

"Any of the opposition around..?"