Gunbarrel at The Spy Museum, Berlin

Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,995MI6 Agent

I'd recommend a visit to The Spy Museum at Potsdamer Platz if ever in Berlin. While the museum covers the whole history of espionage, the Cold War exhibits are especially interesting.

A simple attraction there is a JB gunbarrel space for photos, with lighting effects to represent the switch from white to red. When I visited, people of all ages and genders were taking turns to try out their Bond poses. Me included, of course (silhouetted here):

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,570Chief of Staff

That does sound like a great place to visit…we’ve all given that pose a try at some point in our life, but it’s even better when you can have that effect with it 😁

YNWA 97
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,995MI6 Agent

Yes, it was good to be looking at stuff like actual 60s decoding devices in hand baggage, concealed cameras and miniature tape recorders (all very FRWL), plus a (Soviet) one-man skin diver submersible propulsion unit (very TB). There were a few SMERSH ID cards on display as well.

I was trying to simulate Moore's mannequin pose of TMWTGG with the shootable-off fingers, not that anyone awaiting their turn in the gunbarrel spotlight cared or noticed!

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,554MI6 Agent

Good thing you watched all those anniversary movies - no need to refresh your memory on the pose. A good report. Thanks.

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 585MI6 Agent
    edited August 21

I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed this museum in my hometown! 😊 I was there only once a few years ago and had the feeling it lacked original gadgets / exhibits as opposed to information boards and technical installations. On the other hand, I found "Bond in motion" in London outstanding. Maybe it's being in another city that contributes to the feeling? However, I do not recall the gunbarrel, and that looks pretty cool indeed. Perhaps I'll have to go again soon.

Side note: I only just realized we no longer have the old, Bond-related emoticons on this forum any more. What a shame. I was originally going to toast you with a Wodka Martini instead of randomly smiling.

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,570Chief of Staff

🍸 the vodka martini still exists 🙂

YNWA 97
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,995MI6 Agent

The information boards and technical installations are still prominent but there are original artefacts aplenty. If some of the artefacts look a little inauspicious I guess that's in keeping with their espionage function!