CHB’s Comic Strip Thread

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,449Chief of Staff

I've seen that front cover many times but never knew the story within. Thanks as always!

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,392Chief of Staff

I always wondered about the “leap tall buildings” thing…didn’t realise he couldn’t fly from the off…but I was more perplexed as to where he kept his ‘street clothes’ that he changed back into, like in the story above 🤔🤣

YNWA 97
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 4,044MI6 Agent
    edited August 28

CoolHand mind if I tell the gang about the creators of these American superhero comics? theyre the intellectual properties of a faceless corporation now, but the individuals who came up with the ideas and did the work should be known

Batman was created by Bob Kane (art, always the only one credited as per his contract with DC no matter who did the work, and DC paid him all the money) and Bill Finger (writer, uncredited, Kane paid him as an employee). The relationship between Kane and his "ghosts" is controversial, but in recent years people like Finger, Jerry Robinson, and Dick Sprang have been given the credit they deserve. For example we now know it was Finger who suggested Batman should dress all in shades of black and grey, and wear a cape and a cowl with slits where the eyes show as white, kind of the whole character design that is unique. Kane's original sketch looked more like Superman with bat wings.

Kane and his ghosts (Finger and various artists) continued creating all Batman content til 1964, when DC replaced them with a new generation and updated the look and the feel of the series. Batman had actually been a low seller through the late 50s and early 60s, but Kane had negotiated a very good contract where all rights would revert to him if DC ever stopped publishing the character.

Superman was created by Jerry Siegel (writer) and Joe Shuster (artist). Theyd been trying to sell Superman as a newspaper strip for several years and were repeatedly rejected. The story in Action 1 (continued in Action 2) was pasted together from the newspaper strip samples, thats why its so episodic. notice not only does it end in a cliffhanger, it begins in midaction unexplained! Shuster had lost the first four pages worth of strips when they were finally given the chance to publish the story. When this was reprinted in Superman 1 a year later, he redrew those four pages from memory, in a notably evolved style. Note also how much crosshatching there is, these drawings were intended to be printed black and white

I really like the sequence that begins at the bottom of the sixth page, where Clark asks Lois out on a date. The essence of the Superman love triangle is established over the next couple of pages, builds up to the image seen on the cover, then climaxes with the sexually charged drawing of Lois meeting Superman for the first time! the first couple ages are interesting stuff too, with Superman as a oneman vigilante fighting for good progressive causes, beating up slumlords and wifebeaters. He would quickly stop all that and become a straight establishment figure.

Siegel and Shuster signed away all rights to Superman when DC bought the character. DC owners Harry Donenfeld nd Jack Leibowitz got very rich very quick from Superman, and Siegel and Shuster got paid by the page. They did get paid very well though compared to other comic book talent of the era, until lawyers encouraged them to demand a share of ownership in 1947, at which point they were fired. Decades later, when the movie was coming out and they were starting to get bad publicity over the issue, DC finally agreed to pay them a pension and included their names in the film and all subsequent publications.

Joe Shuster spent his childhood in Toronto, and is considered a local hero. there is now a Joe Shuster Way near Liberty Village!

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 4,044MI6 Agent

here are the first four pages of Superman 1, that lead into that Action 1 story: Shuster had lost them when Action 1 was published, and a year later redrew them from memory when the story was reprinted. (Superman 1 reprinted the stories from the first four issues of Action Comics)

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,908MI6 Agent

As always @caractacus potts your input is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

@caractacus potts thanks for the extra information…I didn’t know much of that…

YNWA 97

CONTENT NOTICE:

The content of this comic strip contains very strong language not permitted in the ongoing threads of this site. It also contains themes that some readers may find upsetting. Reader discretion is advised for those who may be easily offended. The content has been cleared for posting by the moderators.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

THE DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH - Chapter 3 (Part 1 of 2)

To be continued tomorrow…

edited August 29

glad you appreciated the info on the creators of Superman and Batman @CoolHandBond and @Sir Miles , I had hesitated to post. I could probably blather on forever about the early history of American superhero comics, just information off the top of my head. though I probably should factcheck first. thing is I got so much of this stuff in my head, I'm tempted to go down deep rabbit holes when you guys really need me to be concise and get to the point.

I will say, Batman starts to get really interesting a year after his first appearance. Bob Kane hires a second uncredited ghost to do the art, Jerry Robinson (so if Bill Finger is doing the writing uncredited and Robinson is doing the art uncredited, what exactly is Kane doing aside from collecting the paycheck from DC? this is why Bob Kane is now considered a controversial figure in comics history). Robinson is a much better artist, giving WWII era Batman more realistic anatomy and a dark, inky noirish style. And almost immediately the character of Robin is added in a classic story in Detective 38, then the Joker and Catwoman both debut almost immediately after that, each in separate stories in Batman 1. The Jokers first appearance in particular is an absolutely incredible story, dark and disturbing, and all three men have claimed credit for the villain's creation.

edited August 29

Oh, and I’ve decided on the James Bond comic strip, but you’ll have to wait until Saturday to find out what it is 😁

edited August 29

I took the day off yesterday, so am slow to add my usual thanks to @CoolHandBond for his work in this thread and now to @caractacus potts for the extra information which is fascinating me for one and I wouldn't mind hearing more.

CHB, the above story is really frightening because, I think, there's so much truth in it. The poor woman above represents real people we all heard of in the news.

And caractacus, on the subject of the Joker's creation there's an old silent movie called "The Man Who Laughs" starring Conrad Veidt-

Look familiar? That was years before Batman was created. Veidt is more known these days, I suppose, from playing the villain in "Casablanca" except to old horror movie fans who know him from "The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari".... but I digress. Anyway, The Man Who Laughs is more of a tragic figure than a supervillain but the look is so unmistakably very close to the Joker that one of the writers/artists must surely have been inspired by it.

@caractacus potts Do not hesitate to expand on the brief details I give, your input is both welcomed and interesting to read, I’m learning things that I didn’t know. And leave as much information as you wish.

@Barbel I don’t know about Conrad Veidt’s lookalike Joker either. Great post.

Learning so much today, thanks all 🙂

YNWA 97
    edited August 29

@Barbel said:

And caractacus, on the subject of the Joker's creation there's an old silent movie called "The Man Who Laughs" starring Conrad Veidt-

Look familiar? That was years before Batman was created. Veidt is more known these days, I suppose, from playing the villain in "Casablanca" except to old horror movie fans who know him from "The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari".... but I digress. Anyway, The Man Who Laughs is more of a tragic figure than a supervillain but the look is so unmistakably very close to the Joker that one of the writers/artists must surely have been inspired by it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

this is exactly right Barbel, Veidt's makeup in that film is cited by Kane, Finger and Robinson as the inspiration for the Joker's character design, though they each contradict the other as to whose idea it was. I'm guessing Robinson since he's the one who actually drew the character.

Here's the splash panel from the very first Joker story, lead story in Batman 1, Spring 1940. note even the long combed-back hair is the same as in that photo of Veidt, and the shadows under the eyes and the wrinkles in the forehead.

The original Joker was a seriously creepy character, they made him more of a zany "clown prince of crime" in the 50s when comics were forced to tone it down, but originally he mustve given a lot of kids nighmares.

a later page from the same story demonstrates his villainous plot to murder his victims with a timedelayed poison that freezes their faces into a hideous smile like his own. Wasnt this in the Burton/Keaton/Nicholson movie?

many of these Batman character designs were "borrowed" from then recent Universal horror or other cinema sources. TwoFace was based on a poster for a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde film. The splitface effect is symbolic in the poster, but was real for the TwoFace character. The Penguin was based on a character in a cigarette ad. They had to get their ideas from somewhere, and think up new ideas every month.

edited August 30

CONTENT NOTICE:

The content of this comic strip contains very strong language not permitted in the ongoing threads of this site. It also contains themes that some readers may find upsetting. Reader discretion is advised for those who may be easily offended. The content has been cleared for posting by the moderators.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

THE DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH - Chapter 3 (Part 2 of 2)

More of this intriguing tale next Thursday. I’d like to say that the artwork is unusual and very effective.

Tomorrow…James Bond.

I am of course looking forward to more Bond, but this story is exciting and evocative. Kudos to the artwork as you say, but I'm drawn into the plot and want to know more.

The artwork IS unusual, but it does convey the twisted plot and the fracture of people’s minds and thinking very well…looking forward to more 👏🏻

YNWA 97

The James Bond weekend comic strip continues with a new adventure. There are some references to previous comics not posted before, but they are not essential to the plot lines.

CONTENT ADVICE: Reader discretion is advised for those who may be easily offended.

JAMES BOND: FELIX LEITER (2017) Part 1 of 12

Part 2 tomorrow…

Interesting ...

Haven’t read this before 👏🏻

YNWA 97
    edited September 1

CONTENT ADVICE: Reader discretion is advised for those who may be easily offended. 

JAMES BOND: FELIX LEITER (2017) Part 2 of 12

I think the visualisation of Leiter is excellent, and Bond as well, it’s got a DAF (novel)/TB (movie) feel to it. Oh, and it’s good to see Tiger again.

More next weekend.

Yes, it's good though this guy doesn't fit my mental image of Tiger (a bit like Toshiro Mifune). Enjoying the story!

I agree that Bond & (especially) Leiter are far better realised here…🙂

YNWA 97

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE - (Part 3 of 5)

More next Monday…

This is great, and I'm glad you chose it.

Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer - Chapter Four (Part 2 of 2)

A great ending to a rather good story. For those who are unfamiliar with Mickey Spillane’s writing here is a short piece…

Now, that is the way to write pulp fiction.

Good story, I love hard-boiled private eye stuff. Keen to see where you go next!

Thank heaven for emergency blood, far better than that regular stuff 🤣

That was great fun, thanks CHB 🍸

YNWA 97

Thank you, gentlemen, there are a few options to go with for the next comic strip, I haven’t quite made my mind up yet.

edited September 4

FAMOUS FIRSTS - SPIDER-MAN 1st appearance.

Whereas there is always debate whether Superman or Batman is DC’s greatest character, there is no doubt that Spider-man holds that mantle for Marvel Comics. First appearing in Amazing Fantasy #15 in August 1962 it told the origin of how Peter Parker became Spider-Man. Although some aspects were changed as time progressed, it’s basically the story we know and love. Stan Lee and Steve Ditko on writing and art duties. It is the most highly valued Marvel comic.

Next week - Silver Age Flash.