The war in Ukraine

12346»

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,153MI6 Agent
    edited September 12

Andøya air base in northern Norway is the premier space base in Europe, and the plan is to station Norwegian AF (air force, not .... dammit 🤣) long range surveilance drones. During an international test of electronic jamming and counter meassures it was discovered that fiber cables to the base's jammer had been cut.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,449Chief of Staff

Now who would do a thing like that?

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,825MI6 Agent

Putin has people everywhere.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,825MI6 Agent
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

😮😮😮😮

Hmm .... I guess the first thing is to try and find out if I'm having a very strange dream/nightmare. If I'm awake the situation becomes more difficult.

Whatever you do don't take a drink from that bottle! 😮

Strangely enough, it reminds me of a scene from "The Ministry Of Truth" in the Comic Strip thread.

There's not much truth to be had from those two. 😃

I sent the image to a friend of mine and he suggested opening the door and serving the two of them a cup of coffee.

It reminds me of this from the comedy show Still Game:

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,392Chief of Staff

Love Still Game…🤣

Hate Putin & Jong Un 😡

YNWA 97

Vlad and Kim: The Sitcom. I'm sure it'd be a barrel of laughs...

edited September 13

You could try to keep quiet and pretend you're not home, ut we already know Vladimir doesn't respect other people(s)'s boundries.

That would be an interesting episode of Neighbours from Hell...

You should try actually being a neighbour of Russia...... 😩

edited September 15

I also found his graph of defense spending by GDP in NATO. At the top we find Poland. Not a neighbour of Russia, but of Belarus and that's pretty much the same. Next is USA. No land border with Russia, but we're talking USA here. Greece isn't neighbour of Russia, but they're preparing for a war against their neighbour - the NATO member Turkie! The Baltic nations and Finland are living next door to Russia. The rest are former Warsaw Pact members who know Russia well from the past and the UK. The only neighbour of Russia that spends less than NATO's goal of 2% is Norway. But we have never been members of the Warsaw Pact (Read: occupied by the the USSR) or invaded by Russia/USSR (*) and we've decided to increase our defense spending dramatically.

* The USSR invaded the far northeast of Norway in 1944. But at that time we were occupied by nazi Germany and in an almost unique move the Soviets left instead of occupying us.

edited September 15

Red is a very suitable colour for that chart considering it's referring to Russia. ⚒️

It's good to see that the UK has at least met its 2% of GDP target on NATO defence spending. A major power like France just needs to up their spending a little to get into the 2% bracket as well.

edited September 14

I think that's the case with most NATO countries. Some reached 2% after 2020 and they really hit their stride after 2022. Norway spends 2.2% of our GDP on defense this year and in ten years the plan is to reach 3.2%. That's almost as much as we spent during the coldest cold war years.

The Russians love their jamming. They’re sending jamming signals from specially buildt directional equipment aimed at western countries. Norwegian authorities have now stopped counting Rusdian GPS jamming in the county of Finnmark north of Finland because it happens so often, 294 times so far this year. That's 49 times as many as last year. It's become the new norm. The GPS jamming causes problems for civilan and military planes and helicopters. Will this end in an accident?

Jamming signals? Shades of Dr. No there...

Yes. And jamming GPS signals is taken straight from TND.

Number of days with Russian GPS jamming in the county of Finnmark. Please note the jump after the Russian large scale invasion in 2022:

2019: 6 days

2020: 22 days

2021: 18 days

2022: 122 days

2023: 294 days 

This is very frightening. Would it be a stretch to think that (being deliberately vague) matters here will depend on matters elsewhere?

That's often the case.

Sunset in Russia. Or a huge ammunition depot blowing up after an Ukrainian attack. Or both? 😁

It looks ominously like a mushroom cloud too. I really hope that's not where we're headed...

edited 1:51PM

I don't think nukes will be used in this war. The most recent threat from Putin goes like this: if NATO allows Ukraine to launch lang-range missiles at Russia it means NATO is at war with Russia. This is (yet another) red line! But Ukraine has been firing these missiles at Russian-occupied regions of Ukraine, regions Putin officially considers parts of Russia. If he really belives this, why wasn't in his opinion NATO at war with Russia then? And North-Korea has been supplying Russia with weapons for a while now. By Putin's logic wouldn't that mean North Korea is at war with Ukraine? 🤣

Putin's puppet Medvedjev often threatens the West with nuclear war. "Medvedjev threatens nuclear war again - it must be Thursday!". When it come to stopping western help to Ukraine Russia only has hybrid warfare and threats of nukes left. They know they can't use nukes for real. The advantages on the battlefield are too small. Armies can't concentrate too large forces in a limited space anymore because drones see them and conventional long-range weapons destroy them. This is part of the reason Ukraine's spring offensive in the south didn't work last year. This means tactical nukes won't have much military effect.

At the same time the political and economic downside of using nukes in Ukraine is too great. NATO will impose North Korean levels of sanctions and help Ukraine with everything but nukes. China and India will go against Russia in the UN and stop helping Russia economically.