Bond26 in 2025 and 007 to be "reinvented" says Babs Broccoli

1121314151618»

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,570Chief of Staff

Major Boothroyd is mentioned in the films too, so could still be tricky…no gun barrel either - but that’s hardly hindered the Craig tenure 🤣

License the theme tune? 🤣 That will be another decade going through the courts then 😳

YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,662Chief of Staff
    edited October 16
  • sinlumsinlum Posts: 187MI6 Agent

I was reading earlier through some of the ideas that people have proposed to how Bond26 can continue and a number of people still cling to the idea that Mathilde and Madeleine might make an appearance.

A thought came to my mind - is it possible Bond26 has not been put into production because the producers are waiting for Lisa-Dorah Sonnet, the actress who played Mathilde, to reach a certain age so she can return as a teenager or young adult? 😅

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 7,049MI6 Agent

Nice money if you can earn it by doing absolutely sweet Fanny Adams.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,662Chief of Staff

Very true. This subsequent article

has only a fleeting reference to Bond (it's in the penultimate paragraph) but a very relevant one to the subject of this thread.

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 453MI6 Agent

I'm not sure to understand. How could Bond 26 use the Craig era's timeline after what happened in NTTD ? Or do those people suggest the next film should not feature Bond considering he's dead and instead of that, keep going with the Scooby gang, Nomi, Madeleine and Mathilde ? But in that case, it wouldn't be a Bond film anymore...

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,233MI6 Agent

I don't think the idea of waiting for Bond's daughter makes any sense economically, logically or in any other way. Let's also make it clear: having Bond's daughter take over the movie series means no longer making James Bond movies.

What could possibly work is making her the main character in some other format such as YA novels or an animated TV series. But this should never happen at the expense of James Bond movies in the cinema, obviously in a differnt timeline than CraigBond.

Would putting a one-movie character like Mathilde into the literary universe just because she's CraigBond's daughter really work? I'm not sure. Not forgetting IFP probably wouldn't be interested in such a concept.

Most of the authors who had the privilege to keep Fleming's universe alive seem to be strongly attached to Bond's journey from CR to TMWTGG. I like when Kim Sherwood describes Bond as "conqueror of SMERSH", although it doesn't match with the period. I take it as a way to remind the reader it's the original character she's dealing with.

edited October 18

I'm not a big fan of the concept, but In my opinion it's the only ways I can see something centered on Mathilde could work. Waiting for the "right" time to let her take over the movies doesn't work for me at all.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 7,049MI6 Agent

The quicker they forget the Craig reign the better it will be.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Not forget, but it's important that they ignore it when making more movies.

Yes I see your point, but when you think about it, why would people want to learn more about Mathilde?

She's just one character among many others, and given Bond's paternity is everything but a new concept, I really don't see any reason to explore it again. Benson's short story 'Blast from the past' is a good conclusion to Kissy Suzuki's pregnancy in YOLT. I don't think a series of novels involving Mathilde would be very successful considering the global audience's lack of interest for the literary universe.

Maybe, but not in the movies.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,560MI6 Agent

I think this writer got it right, a more conservative Bond reboot, meaning not some radical change, is a likely outcome after Hollywood's recent travails. MGW sort of referred to that idea of a more conservative Bond when he talked about Bond26 having a Bond who is already in their mid-30s, experienced, already a member of the 00 section. I'm still mystified as to why we had so much reinvention talk in late 2022 and then it all dissipated.

I am also not a fan of the idea but could see it in some kind of spin off media like a book series. The concept of Mathilde being hunted down by Dryden's daughter could be quite a gripping read. (Dryden was one of Craig's first kills. He has a daughter who is pictured very briefly after he is shot in CR).

Considering that the Wai Lin and Jinx concept films never got the go-ahead, I can't see how the Bond films would continue without James Bond in some kind of secret agent role as the central character. I think Joker 2 has proven that experimentation is a dead horse.

Remember NTTD ends with the line "James Bond will return" and the Bond series has always had the ability to bounce back after periods of uncertainty.

Joker 2 failed, But if experimenting in movies is over, then movies are over.

Maybe I should rephrase and say "major" experimenting usually leads to box office disaster

That's a better way to say it. 🙂

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,772MI6 Agent

The most radical thing they could do at this point is to give us the Bond we used to expect.

I've had the same thought.