James Bond's Medals - Pierce Brosnan.

MarkerMarker Posts: 138MI6 Agent

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,215MI6 Agent
    edited October 17

Damit, We both started threads on the same topic featuring the same video on the same day, but you started it first. 😂

I'll repost my posts on the matter here and ask Barbel if he can close down my thread.

This video's is about BrosnanBond's medals, but Connery's Bond also wore a parade uniform. Discussions about those medals would be interesting too. I feel the video ignores that Bond is wearing an SBS uniform and was more likely to serve in special operations.

A couple of medal seems ill-advised to me. The Rhodesia medal. Really ? The Northern Ireland medal may not be completely uncontroversial either. No offence to those who did serve in that conflict, but wouldn't it be a better choice to have Bond wear medals from the Falklands war and the 1st Gulf war? Not to mention the two Cod Wars against Iceland? 😁

• MarkerMarker Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    edited October 17

I was just going to ask that you be banned for plagiarism!😉

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

• MarkerMarker Posts: 138MI6 Agent

I thought the Rhodesia medal was a strange choice. I wonder why that decision was made by the film/costume people?

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,516MI6 Agent

Going on from N24s nicked thread. It’s a RN uniform with FAA pilots wings on the shoulder. It’s not an SBS uniform, far from it. It has nothing in any way to do with the SBS, and neither has Bond except in some weird DC Bond universe. It’s a stretch to have Bond in the SBS and reduces him from an elegant RN officer to basically a thug super soldier, which isn’t Flemings Bond in anyway. Plus Bond is an officer, so it’s an even bigger stretch and weird choice to have him as an SBS head shed. The NI medal would have been standard fodder for someone seconded to DI during those times. Rhodesia is too early for Brosnans Bond though.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    edited October 17

This is the Special Forces patch:

And look at the arm on Bond's uniform. Isn't it the same? The photo isn't very clear.

I belive you on the uniform. Could it be that Bond's uniform says he's a Royal Navy commander who's also a qualified pilot and took part in special operations and/or is SF qualified, but wasn't in the SBS?

Here's Bond in uniform in YOLT. Can anyone tell us more about the uniforms and his medals?