CHB’s Comic Strip Thread

1192021222325Β»

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,662Chief of Staff

😁

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,570Chief of Staff

Why is the light SO bad in here? I guess I’ll have to read Danger Girl in the loo…because the light is better in there…honest πŸ€—

YNWA 97
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 7,049MI6 Agent

πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ Mrs Sir Miles will be wondering if the Canadian food is upsetting your stomach πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ glad to see you’re enjoying the adventure!

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Todays British comic spotlight falls on Countdown - something covered previously, but time restraints have caught up with me so even though some of this has been posted before some of the pictures haven’t. Here are some of the pages from the first issue - the pages were numbered in reverse order to simulate a “countdown”. The first issue contained a free giant wall-chart with stamps to be affixed, further issues would contain more stamps until the chart was filled.

It’s always nice to see some advertisements of the day…

…and the strip titled Countdown used imagery from 2001: A Space Oddysey ( I don’t know if they had to pay MGM or Stanley Kubrick for the right to do that).

Next Monday will feature the first part of the Marvel UK Comics story.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,662Chief of Staff

Thanks as ever, CHB. I don't remember this comic as well as others (I think I was by that phase by then, busy reading books).

Its great reading these…brings back happy memories…I read a few of the Countdown annuals…

YNWA 97

Nah, she’s just happy I’m out of her way 😁

YNWA 97

I never lost the love of reading comics - alongside my devouring of pulp paperbacks (and owning a bookshop) I was never short of reading material 😁

My daily fix was stopping at the newsagents close by and picking up the daily papers and whatever comics caught my eye, especially new titles with free gifts.

80-Page Giant was a DC title that lasted for 15 issues - it was mainly reprinted stories and each issue focused on a particular superhero. The title harks back to Secret Origins (Summer 1961) which had been a one-off comic featuring several reprinted stories…

This 80-page format was popular so 80-Page Giant was launched in 1964 featuring past tales of Superman. But today we are featuring issue #8 Secret Origins, which told another batch of umm…secret origins.

And the chosen story is How Aquaman Got His Powers…

And a couple of advertisements…

Tomorrow - a Famous First appearance of a Famous Villain…