226

Re: Will November still be the release month?

EON isn't stuck with the bag, though. There's both MGM and Universal involved. I doubt their going concern is in any risk.

Regardless, I don't think it'll be delayed for financial reasons. If theaters are shut down, it'll be delayed again. All the reason to stay vigilant and take this seriously.

227

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Sadly, the same people that were having pre-'rule of six' parties over the weekend will be the same ones moaning about a second lockdown (should it come) and bemoaning they can't do normal things like go to the cinema. Covidiots of the highest order.. ajb007/mad

"Any of the opposition around..?"

228

Re: Will November still be the release month?

In the column for it being released, Nimax Theatres have announced their six West End theatres will reopen on 22nd October under strict social distancing.

The box office is interesting. Even socially distanced showings aren't sold out plus most chains here are doing discounted seats due for example are doing every film every day at 60% of pre-pandemic prices. And that included Tenet...so there's just no comparison.

Studios must be looking at very early VOD or streaming deals to try and supplement $$$ after limited theatre run, if they are going as planned.

229

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Is is plausible that Warner Brothers rereleases Tenet in theaters some time next year, you know, assuming the world ever opens up again? I mean, they rolled the dice in August 2020, things didn’t work out. “If at first you don’t succeed...

MrSwinderman wrote:

While I want to see NTTD as soon as possible, I would rather them wait. I don't think that big blockbusters will be viable until Spring 2021. I don't want to see EON take the big risk that WB did with Tenet.

The box office numbers for Tenet after THREE weeks in the US alone are not as much as Nolan's previous opening weekends stateside. On top of that, the rest of the world hasn't faired much better either.

For reference: Tenet Box Office (3 weeks in) in USD sorry I am in the States.  ajb007/crap
$29.5 mil - US
$177.5 mil - Foreign
$207 mil - Worldwide

For reference, Interstellar opened at $47.5 mil in the US and Dunkirk opened at $50 mil in the US.

The "break-even" point for Tenet, which only includes what they reportedly spent not including advertising, is around $450-$500 mil.

WB can take that hit and so can Nolan. Bond cannot. EON needs Bond to make the kind of numbers that Skyfall and Spectre made. On top of that, everybody is quick to say that Bond is an old breed of film that is dying off.

Pandemic or not, NTTD releasing and doing poorly could send it over the edge and we could be looking at an even longer wait for the next film. We may even see EON taking such a loss that they have to sell the rights which I do not want to happen. While I love the Marvel movies for what they are, I don't even want to imagine a Disney 007.

Nevertheless, I will take another delay if it means the film succeeding. I'd rather that then a possibly huge blow to the franchise which could put it in jeopardy.

230

Re: Will November still be the release month?

This won't come out in North America in November....with cases starting to spike again and knuckle head kids not following the rules I see this getting pushed back to summer of 2021 at best...the option of going to VOD would make sense at this point....I know Universal and EON may not want to do that but at this point nothing is in anyone's control....sucks as I really want to see this one in IMAX but will be ok watching at home also.

231

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Sriram858 wrote:

This won't come out in North America in November....with cases starting to spike again and knuckle head kids not following the rules I see this getting pushed back to summer of 2021 at best...the option of going to VOD would make sense at this point....I know Universal and EON may not want to do that but at this point nothing is in anyone's control....sucks as I really want to see this one in IMAX but will be ok watching at home also.

I think America will have the least barring on the decision, actually. The United States is a lost cause at this point. People and leadership (across the aisle) have decided to just give up on doing anything. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets released twice in the States.

This is all frustrating because Fukunaga and the cast and crew looked to have put together an amazing picture and they deserved to have the release, pomp and circumstance, and general festivity that they earned. Making a film at any scale is a small miracle, but making a big blockbuster like this is truly the stuff of wonder.

232

Re: Will November still be the release month?

BlindManBaldwin wrote:

This is all frustrating because Fukunaga and the cast and crew looked to have put together an amazing picture and they deserved to have the release, pomp and circumstance, and general festivity that they earned. Making a film at any scale is a small miracle, but making a big blockbuster like this is truly the stuff of wonder.

Exactly this, it looks and sounds and teases at being so bloody good.

233

Re: Will November still be the release month?

As we’ve learned the hard way in the US, indoor activities such as dining are the absolute worst in terms of spreading Covid. Watching a film is a little better since, unlike dining, you can wear a mask. But it still seems like it’s high-risk since you’re stationary for a prolonged (more than 15 minutes) period of time. As a result, I’ve decided not to see NTTD even if it does come out in November. Many others will do the same, and the film will fail financially if it’s released during the pandemic.

That said, I hope it still comes out in November because I’d like to get NTTD over with. It’s been a long, tortured process - and that was before covid - and I’m ready to move on.

234

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Agree...its terrible that this is how the Craig era is going to end....at this point I would hope we get VOD and then get to see it in the theater when its safe....miracles can happen I guess so time will tell but I am not holding my breath.

Miles Messervy wrote:

As we’ve learned the hard way in the US, indoor activities such as dining are the absolute worst in terms of spreading Covid. Watching a film is a little better since, unlike dining, you can wear a mask. But it still seems like it’s high-risk since you’re stationary for a prolonged (more than 15 minutes) period of time. As a result, I’ve decided not to see NTTD even if it does come out in November. Many others will do the same, and the film will fail financially if it’s released during the pandemic.

That said, I hope it still comes out in November because I’d like to get NTTD over with. It’s been a long, tortured process - and that was before covid - and I’m ready to move on.

235

Re: Will November still be the release month?

MrSwinderman wrote:

While I want to see NTTD as soon as possible, I would rather them wait. I don't think that big blockbusters will be viable until Spring 2021. I don't want to see EON take the big risk that WB did with Tenet.

The box office numbers for Tenet after THREE weeks in the US alone are not as much as Nolan's previous opening weekends stateside. On top of that, the rest of the world hasn't faired much better either.

For reference: Tenet Box Office (3 weeks in) in USD sorry I am in the States.  ajb007/crap
$29.5 mil - US
$177.5 mil - Foreign
$207 mil - Worldwide

For reference, Interstellar opened at $47.5 mil in the US and Dunkirk opened at $50 mil in the US.

The "break-even" point for Tenet, which only includes what they reportedly spent not including advertising, is around $450-$500 mil.

WB can take that hit and so can Nolan. Bond cannot. EON needs Bond to make the kind of numbers that Skyfall and Spectre made. On top of that, everybody is quick to say that Bond is an old breed of film that is dying off.

Pandemic or not, NTTD releasing and doing poorly could send it over the edge and we could be looking at an even longer wait for the next film. We may even see EON taking such a loss that they have to sell the rights which I do not want to happen. While I love the Marvel movies for what they are, I don't even want to imagine a Disney 007.

Nevertheless, I will take another delay if it means the film succeeding. I'd rather that then a possibly huge blow to the franchise which could put it in jeopardy.

In terms of "tentpole" movies, Tenet is the only game in town until NTTD is released in late November (Wonder Woman was pushed off to 12/25). Tenet could easily average about $10 million a week in the US for the next three months, giving it a total of maybe $160 million in the US by the time it's through. Plus it should rule the foreign markets. It could easily surpass Dunkirk's $525 million.

236

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Considering how they've been ramping up the marketing for NTTD over the last couple of weeks, I wonder if they have the stomach to punt this again.  Too many egos are involved, and punting this again would be an admission of error.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

237

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Gymkata wrote:

Considering how they've been ramping up the marketing for NTTD over the last couple of weeks, I wonder if they have the stomach to punt this again.  Too many egos are involved, and punting this again would be an admission of error.

I don't think it's an admission of error, rather I suspect that EON/MGM/Universal have looked at the environment and believe there best chance to maximize earnings is to get it now now thus expediting the process of getting it on streaming platforms and home video. This could change if the environment changes again (which it might). Next 4-6 weeks are key.

And who knows, if Pfizer or other companies/research institutions developing vaccines have positive press come late October, that alone could change people's psychological behavior. So much of how people act is not "what threat does the virus pose" it's "what threats do I believe the virus poses".

Want to be clear I'm not endorsing that kind of behavior, but I suspect it could happen and may be factored into their [EON/MGM/Universal] decision making process.

238

Re: Will November still be the release month?

I don’t see too many reasons not to release it again, if it doesn’t do well in November. There’s going to be very few new tentpoles in 2021 as it is, people will be dying to return to the cinema, and it no longer costs millions of dollars to strike tens of thousands of 35mm prints and ship them around the world. Distribution is relatively cheap, even a second time.

239

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Gala Brand wrote:

Tenet could easily average about $10 million a week in the US for the next three months, giving it a total of maybe $160 million in the US by the time it's through. Plus it should rule the foreign markets. It could easily surpass Dunkirk's $525 million.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/tenet … 234586104/

It's not even making enough for theaters to make a profit, and now that they've opened for it,

This weekend, the average complex grossed under $5,000 (before concessions). More than half of that goes to film rentals. They have staff and other operational costs to pay, as well as rent to landlords. Theaters have a stronger hand in negotiating rent if they’re closed. Once open, they owe, and now they face weeks of operation at a significant loss.

They opened on faith that folks would show up for Tenet, and that would encourage more releases and wider attendance. Tenet's box office showings have only discouraged studios from staying on schedule, leaving these theaters to run with no new content to play. Tenet won't be a grower because that's not how movie attendance habits tend to go.

240

Re: Will November still be the release month?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - delaying to 2021 is just silly IMO because WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WORLD WILL BE LIKE IN 2021.

In 2021 things could be just as bad. They could be even worse. They could be better too, but we just don't know. We can't predict the future, nobody can.

Release NTTD in November and just accept that it won't make as much money as other bond films, and realise that covid is the main reason for that. Release it, move on, and find solace in the fact that DVD/Blu-Ray sales will be huge.

If cinemas really are unsafe in November, then VOD is the way to go, I mean, they have no choice here IMO, because the state of the world is not in their control. And in areas where cinemas are safe, strict distancing guidelines, masks compulsory.

There's nothing else they can do. They can't just keep delaying it again and again. Because as said, the state of the world is not in their control. They can't work around it by "predicting" the future in the form of delays. Simple as.

Summer 2021 might not mean anything. Covid could be with us for a decade for all we know.

NTTD is destined not to make as much money as other bond films, and they need to just accept this.

1 - Lald, 2 - Ltk, 3 - Avtak, 4 - Op, 5 - Dn, 6 - Fyeo, 7 - Tswlm, 8 - Daf, 9 - Sf, 10 - Ohmss, 11 - Yolt, 12 - Ge, 13 - Tld, 14 - Mr, 15 - Gf, 16 - Tb, 17 - Tmwtgg, 18 - Sp, 19 - Tnd, 20 - Dad, 21 - Twine, 22 - Frwl, 23 - Cr, 24 - Qos

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

241

Re: Will November still be the release month?

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:
Gala Brand wrote:

Tenet could easily average about $10 million a week in the US for the next three months, giving it a total of maybe $160 million in the US by the time it's through. Plus it should rule the foreign markets. It could easily surpass Dunkirk's $525 million.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/tenet … 234586104/

It's not even making enough for theaters to make a profit, and now that they've opened for it,

This weekend, the average complex grossed under $5,000 (before concessions). More than half of that goes to film rentals. They have staff and other operational costs to pay, as well as rent to landlords. Theaters have a stronger hand in negotiating rent if they’re closed. Once open, they owe, and now they face weeks of operation at a significant loss.

They opened on faith that folks would show up for Tenet, and that would encourage more releases and wider attendance. Tenet's box office showings have only discouraged studios from staying on schedule, leaving these theaters to run with no new content to play. Tenet won't be a grower because that's not how movie attendance habits tend to go.

And, yet, they just increased the number of screens Tenet is being shown in by 100.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/tenet-seco … 234575952/

242

Re: Will November still be the release month?

The link you shared is saying that those 100 new screens were added FOR that second weekend, the one with the 29% drop.

Over 3-days in its second weekend, Tenet made $6.7M, -29% off last weekend’s Labor Day 3-day of 2,910 locations, up by 100 venues

243

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Jarvio wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - delaying to 2021 is just silly IMO because WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WORLD WILL BE LIKE IN 2021.

In 2021 things could be just as bad. They could be even worse. They could be better too, but we just don't know. We can't predict the future, nobody can.

Release NTTD in November and just accept that it won't make as much money as other bond films, and realise that covid is the main reason for that. Release it, move on, and find solace in the fact that DVD/Blu-Ray sales will be huge.

If cinemas really are unsafe in November, then VOD is the way to go, I mean, they have no choice here IMO, because the state of the world is not in their control. And in areas where cinemas are safe, strict distancing guidelines, masks compulsory.

There's nothing else they can do. They can't just keep delaying it again and again. Because as said, the state of the world is not in their control. They can't work around it by "predicting" the future in the form of delays. Simple as.

Summer 2021 might not mean anything. Covid could be with us for a decade for all we know.

NTTD is destined not to make as much money as other bond films, and they need to just accept this.

This take is 100% correct. It’s fairly likely that the world as we knew it is over and is not coming back. VOD is not just the present, but also the future. I understand why it’s hard for people to accept that, but it’s facts.

244

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Miles Messervy wrote:
Jarvio wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - delaying to 2021 is just silly IMO because WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WORLD WILL BE LIKE IN 2021.

In 2021 things could be just as bad. They could be even worse. They could be better too, but we just don't know. We can't predict the future, nobody can.

Release NTTD in November and just accept that it won't make as much money as other bond films, and realise that covid is the main reason for that. Release it, move on, and find solace in the fact that DVD/Blu-Ray sales will be huge.

If cinemas really are unsafe in November, then VOD is the way to go, I mean, they have no choice here IMO, because the state of the world is not in their control. And in areas where cinemas are safe, strict distancing guidelines, masks compulsory.

There's nothing else they can do. They can't just keep delaying it again and again. Because as said, the state of the world is not in their control. They can't work around it by "predicting" the future in the form of delays. Simple as.

Summer 2021 might not mean anything. Covid could be with us for a decade for all we know.

NTTD is destined not to make as much money as other bond films, and they need to just accept this.

This take is 100% correct. It’s fairly likely that the world as we knew it is over and is not coming back. VOD is not just the present, but also the future. I understand why it’s hard for people to accept that, but it’s facts.

+1

245

Re: Will November still be the release month?

From Variety:

Disney will likely delay “Black Widow,” the superhero adventure from Marvel that was slated to open on Nov. 6, according to multiple individuals with knowledge of the situation. The studio is also exploring various release options for Pixar’s existential cartoon “Soul.” The animated kids’ film is still scheduled to release on Nov. 20, but it is unlikely to move forward with those plans. The studio is even considering releasing it on Disney Plus.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/blac … 234769426/

If accurate the next major release scheduled in the US is No Time to Die, since Wonder Woman 1984 moved from October to Christmas Day.

246

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Westward_Drift wrote:

From Variety:

Disney will likely delay “Black Widow,” the superhero adventure from Marvel that was slated to open on Nov. 6, according to multiple individuals with knowledge of the situation. The studio is also exploring various release options for Pixar’s existential cartoon “Soul.” The animated kids’ film is still scheduled to release on Nov. 20, but it is unlikely to move forward with those plans. The studio is even considering releasing it on Disney Plus.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/blac … 234769426/

If accurate the next major release scheduled in the US is No Time to Die, since Wonder Woman 1984 moved from October to Christmas Day.

Wouldn't surprise me. Both those would need big US audiences. AFAIK, Bond is less reliant on US.

247

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Interesting comments on this thread. I have taken a massive break from Bond as the whole NTTD process was getting me a bit down in the dumps about Bond and Bond related content. But with the release date getting closer I have just started to watch some of the films again and am getting into the swing!

Regarding November - I am in Melbourne and we are currently in a heavy stage 4 lockdown. We are not allowed to leave our homes for more than an hour, need permits to travel and are permitted to go no further than 5 Km's from our homes. Obviously, cinemas are closed, and with a Nov 12 release date, it is very unlikely that they will be open again in time for Bond.

However, I think that the producers can't afford to delay it again and will have to commit to a release this time. The entire film industry will be affected if they delay again and the marketing costs must now be huge. I would actually love a VOD release, though I know this may not be an option. It is such a shame that this film will probably not make as much money as it should (like Tenet) but even with a second spike I would be taken aback if they delay again. But who knows...what a roller coaster this has been!

248

Re: Will November still be the release month?

Revolver66 wrote:

Regarding November - I am in Melbourne and we are currently in a heavy stage 4 lockdown. We are not allowed to leave our homes for more than an hour, need permits to travel and are permitted to go no further than 5 Km's from our homes. Obviously, cinemas are closed, and with a Nov 12 release date, it is very unlikely that they will be open again in time for Bond.

Tough times hope it does the trick...I think we in the UK are ambling back towards similar lockdowns.

Meanwhile over the weekend I had 3 emails from Vue cinemas all entitled with variants of 'book your trip to Vue!'....but with 50 odd days to go, in London, there are No Times To Book for NTTD.