801

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

My lonely hearts advert reads
Looking for lady with a big house, ...... please send photo of the house  ajb007/wink

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

802

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

803

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Thunderpussy wrote:

My lonely hearts advert reads
Looking for lady with a big house, ...... please send photo of the house  ajb007/wink

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Well, I may have exaggerated a bit erm a lot ajb007/embarrassed

804

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

GoldenEye, or a bit of it.

Now, the odd thing is that in many ways this has the hallmarks of a perfect Bond film esp the pre-credits. That opening shot of the dam that seems to go on forever to emphasise its height, for instance. The editing and the perfect intro of Brosnan (wasn't he young back then?  ajb007/mad  Weren't we all?)
And the cinematography by Phil Meyeux is a joy - the film has a sort of metallic sheen, a glow. The dam walls seem to almost sparkle.

But soon enough the sheer stupidity of the film grabs you, like a big sloppy kiss from President Trump.

It's like a woman on a Tinder date who finds him smart, handsome and all the right moves in bed - but also quite thick and more than a little creepy.

If 006 is a double agent and the mission is set up to fail, why not just shoot Bond as soon as he sees him? Why go through the charade of having him plant the bomb, and why would 006 shoot all those Russian soldiers and put himself at needless risk? I know 006 is a ruthless bad guy anyway, but it's all unnecessary.
Why the charade of him kneeling to lure Bond out? He had Bond all along.

But even watching for the first time when you don't know all this it's dumb. All that 'For England, James?' stuff might work if said in a jokey, lads sending it up way. It's so po-faced even England captain Harry Kane would baulk at it prior a World Cup final.
Why would Bond be lured out because 006 is captured, just so he too can be shot? But having been lured out, why do they then shoot 006? And then be unable to shoot Bond jumping back into hiding?
And after the visually spectacular opening bungee, the freefall into the aeroplane is pure rubbish!

Can't get on with Serena Gordon's turn in the Aston, it's too much broad comedy and not funny enough. I can see what they were trying for but the line delivery of both her and Brosnan is all off. 'Very thorough evaluation...' it's creepy.
Then there's the full-on shooting of innocents, not just Russian soldiers but everyone, put alongside naff jokes just makes the film rather distasteful. Shame really, because otherwise the film punches above its weight or budget as a spectacle. As this was a box office smash, how odd that its follow-up Tomorrow Never Dies didn't look more expensive, save perhaps its its - it looked a bit dull and scrappy.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

805

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Napoleon Plural wrote:

GoldenEye, or a bit of it.

Now, the odd thing is that in many ways this has the hallmarks of a perfect Bond film esp the pre-credits. That opening shot of the dam that seems to go on forever to emphasise its height, for instance. The editing and the perfect intro of Brosnan (wasn't he young back then?  ajb007/mad  Weren't we all?)
And the cinematography by Phil Meyeux is a joy - the film has a sort of metallic sheen, a glow. The dam walls seem to almost sparkle.

But soon enough the sheer stupidity of the film grabs you, like a big sloppy kiss from President Trump.

It's like a woman on a Tinder date who finds him smart, handsome and all the right moves in bed - but also quite thick and more than a little creepy.

If 006 is a double agent and the mission is set up to fail, why not just shoot Bond as soon as he sees him? Why go through the charade of having him plant the bomb, and why would 006 shoot all those Russian soldiers and put himself at needless risk? I know 006 is a ruthless bad guy anyway, but it's all unnecessary.
Why the charade of him kneeling to lure Bond out? He had Bond all along.

But even watching for the first time when you don't know all this it's dumb. All that 'For England, James?' stuff might work if said in a jokey, lads sending it up way. It's so po-faced even England captain Harry Kane would baulk at it prior a World Cup final.
Why would Bond be lured out because 006 is captured, just so he too can be shot? But having been lured out, why do they then shoot 006? And then be unable to shoot Bond jumping back into hiding?
And after the visually spectacular opening bungee, the freefall into the aeroplane is pure rubbish!

Can't get on with Serena Gordon's turn in the Aston, it's too much broad comedy and not funny enough. I can see what they were trying for but the line delivery of both her and Brosnan is all off. 'Very thorough evaluation...' it's creepy.
Then there's the full-on shooting of innocents, not just Russian soldiers but everyone, put alongside naff jokes just makes the film rather distasteful. Shame really, because otherwise the film punches above its weight or budget as a spectacle. As this was a box office smash, how odd that its follow-up Tomorrow Never Dies didn't look more expensive, save perhaps its its - it looked a bit dull and scrappy.

The setup of faking 006's death only makes sense if the plan is to let Bond escape. It's difficult to tell if that is the plan.

I always thought GoldenEye's video game adaptation was more successful than the film itself.

Visit my blog, Bond Suits

806

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

That would make sense if it was a sort of defection for 006, to go over to Ourmov while having the Brits think he's dead. Naturally Bond is allowed to escape - as you say - to report 006's death and the bomb is defused in time.
That way Alec and Ourmov can plot their future shenangans with one of them off the radar.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

807

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

"As this was a box office smash, how odd that its follow-up Tomorrow Never Dies didn't look more expensive, save perhaps its its - it looked a bit dull and scrappy."


I think most of this can be put down to Martin Campbell, who delivers one of the series' most dynamic directing turns on GoldenEye. Spottiswoode's contributions to TND, on the other hand, tend to come across as slightly more workmanlike, despite that film's higher budget.

808

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Meant to write, 'except for TND's its which is pea tea ess corrected to its, I meant pre-credits'  ajb007/insane

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

809

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

"Meant to write, 'except for TND's its which is pea tea ess corrected to its, I meant pre-credits' ajb007/insane "

Ah, that makes a bit more sense.  ajb007/bond  I get what you mean, TND does have one of the more impressive pre-title sequences of the series. The fighter plane duel is an action highlight of the film for me.

810

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

I've tried to pay tribute to Sean, by watching Goldfinger. Got to the golf scene and i couldn't watch it anymore. Maybe it's too soon to be able to watch one of his films.

I'm still trying to proccess it.i can't believe Sean is gone.

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

811

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

I watched Goldfinger last night with Mr Spy, in honour of Sean. Sad, he's gone.  ajb007/frown  90 is a good age to live to.

812

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Once again watched OHMSS, it and Casino Royale are my favourite Bonds, and thought
How far ahead of its time it was. It could be made today with Daniel and almost no
changes needed. Like the DC tenure Bond shows his vulnerable more human side and
Tracy is a very strong character.

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

813

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

O.H.M.S.S. - convinced the Mrs. it was a Christmas movie - after watching it, she's not buying it.

What do you guys think? Christmas movie or not?

Shop the latest thing from Q Branch - James Bond inspired merch and gifts!
https://qbranchmedia.shop

814

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

OHMSS is my Christmas movie  ajb007/smile

815

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Goldfinger is another Christmas Bond for me, as for a long time it seemed
to be shown on ITV every Christmas day  ajb007/biggrin  Watched it again today.

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

816

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

OHMSS on Xmas Eve. The best Bond movie of all, it will never be surpassed. Those who are unimpressed by it, will never get it, and will be forever be poorer for it.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

817

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Dr No

Now, Connery's Bond actually is more immoral in this than in most. The way he knows Zena Marxhall is about to kill him but goes ahead and shags her anyway is really rather sick but for many years one might think, wow, what a rogue, what a cool dude.
His grey suit in the Crab Key Pussfella scenes is a bit loose fitting isn't it?
Monty Norman's theme uses Beethoven's 5th quite a lot.

Unsung heroes are the Govt agency staff in Crab Key, v understated so much so they are hardly in the film but give Connery's Bond more opportunity to spread his legs.
Bond is a curt so and so to Quarrel. Plus the way he heads off to Crab Key without even a holdall or anything.

Plaudits to the woman who dubs Ursula Andress cos she puts a lot of expression into it, it's good work.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

818

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

You've been watching ITV4 again

819

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

I have! From Russia With Love tomorrow evening on the same channel.

You'll know I watched it finishing up the last of the Christmas meal I suppose.  ajb007/biggrin

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

820

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol
I think Goldfinger is on Weds

821

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Just watched Moonraker yesterday as it was on at my In-Laws - the first third of that film is pretty good...once they get to space, that does it for me  ajb007/crap

Shop the latest thing from Q Branch - James Bond inspired merch and gifts!
https://qbranchmedia.shop

822

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Napoleon Plural wrote:

His grey suit in the Crab Key Pussfella scenes is a bit loose fitting isn't it?

This is how all of Connery's suits fit in his first three Bond films. It's a common misconception that Connery wore "slim" fitting suits. His lapels were narrow, and his trousers (that were cut full in the hips) tapered to a fairly narrow hem. In the 1990s I remember thinking that the suits looked quite trim. Today we're used to a close fit. They were all cut fairly full not only because it was the style at the time for English tailors but also because Sinclair cut them to be able to conceal the Walther PP. Not again until Dalton was Bond would the character wear a suit cut full enough to conceal a gun.

Visit my blog, Bond Suits

823

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Had a look at your blog, Matt S. Now that's a hell of a blog! Great stuff there.  ajb007/martini

Not just suits of Bond but everything anyone wore.

From Russia With Love

(Languid English drawl): "Quite right, Mister chrisno1, you guessed correctly that I would tune in to ITV4 again this evening...'

I watched this with two family members who hadn't seen it for a bit, and it benefits from that first-time viewing vibe. 'What's going on?'

The whole pitting the Russians against the British in Istanbul is a bit confusing and maybe even unnecessary from Spectre's pov unless it's to raise the temperature so things will really kick off once Bond is found dead. It's misdirection but really I can't see it helps Spectre because Bond of course nearly gets killed. Guess they're trying to get Kerim killed too. The latter's death might assist them as it leaves Bond relatively alone but the former's death too soon will mess up the whole plan.
I was interested to read Calvin Dyson's piece on cut scenes posted about this forum, in particular the howler that almost made it into FRWL, where the bloke with the beret is in a key scene shortly after we've seen him killed by Red Grant at St Sophia!

Pleasing repetition - Bond at the airport being suspicious at being met on arrival, as he was in Dr No previously! And in his hotel he checks out the crystal chandelier for bugs, in much the same way as years later he'd gaze up at Tiffany's chandelier in Diamonds are Forever.

Isn't that 'run along Miss Freelance' the photographer from the Daily Gleaner in Dr No as one of the gypsy girls in the fight?

Why doesn't the train stop at the crossroads after Kerim dies, leaving his sons gaping in puzzlement? Might have helped if it had. Did it need Kerim's say-so in person?

Those one-liners get a bit heavy. 'Where's there's smoke there's fire' would make more sense if Kerim Bey had used that line to voice his suspicions earlier in the film, then Bond saying it would have real clout.
Why have Tanya under the truck? Seems a bit precarious.

It's all good stuff of course, very enjoyable and John Barry's score is excellent in an appropriate and unobtrusive way when necessary.

Last edited by Napoleon Plural (5th Jan 2021 23:30)

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

824

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Thank you, Napoleon Plural! I cover much of the notable menswear that other male characters wear, but never the women’s clothing. I may try my hand at writing about a woman’s suit. Though my wife has taught me about dresses and other women’s items foreign to me, I don’t know how qualified I am to write about those.

Visit my blog, Bond Suits

825

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Isn't that 'run along Miss Freelance' the photographer from the Daily Gleaner in Dr No as one of the gypsy girls in the fight?

One of the gypsy girls does have a larger role in another Bondfilm, but its not the photographer from Dr No

Annebel Chung, the freelance photographer, was played by Marguerite LeWars.
She doesn't seem to have any other acting credits but she was a Miss Jamaica.

The two gypsy girls in FRWL were played by Aliza Gur and Martine Beswick. Beswick was also Paula in Thunderball. Maybe she's the one you think looks familiar?

Kerim's ladyfriend was played by Nadja Regin, who was also the dancing girl in the precredits scene from Goldfinger.

Both Beswick and Regin were in plenty of episodes of Danger Man, The Saint, The Avengers and other such shows. Gur on the other hand must have been an American actress, and appeared in episodes of the Man from UNCLE and Get Smart.