151

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

I can only read the headline inthe link, but it looks like I disagree with him. The eastern European countries were in effect occupied by them for about 50 years. Not long after they got their freedom back the countries asked to join NATO to safeguard against it happening again. If Russia chose to see this as the West taking "their" countries and interpreted that as threath to them I don't see that as NATO's fault.

152

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Daily Mail: Unmanned 'spy ship' powered by solar energy and designed to avoid detection is found in Scotland.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … tland.html

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

153

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Thunderpussy wrote:

Daily Mail: Unmanned 'spy ship' powered by solar energy and designed to avoid detection is found in Scotland.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … tland.html

If it’s powered by solar energy no wonder it was found in Scotland - there isn’t any sun there to power it  ajb007/lol

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

154

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

ajb007/frown  Alas, that is true.

155

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

This is a great scene from the movie "The 12th man" about SOE agent Jan Baalsrud and his desperate escape to Sweden in WWII.
12 Norwegian SOE agents traveled to northern Norway on a small fishing vessel to sabotage the Germans, but they are attacked when they were about to go ashore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CppJHeoXOxc&feature=emb_logo


Next scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRFPT3 … e=emb_logo


The trailer (Eng. subst.) The scenes from about 1 min. were filmed on the gun range I used during my military service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQNmp50 … e=emb_logo


https://static.vg.no/partnerstudio/img/nordiskfilm/12mann/chapter16.png

156

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

I found the entrie movie online. It's not subtitled, but it's a highly visual movie. The villans are in nazi uniforms, the most evil-looking uniforms in history, but the story is mostly about Jan Baalsrud's battle with the elements. The events in the movie are true with the exception of a couple of a exagerated scenes.
I suggest anyone with an interst in WWII resistance and survival stories watch it soon, because it's bound to dispear from the net soon:

Entire movie:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1tB4ztKP8M

https://www.canaldigital.no/contentassets/6fc0d68604984559a965c873ac729824/den12.mann.jpg?format=jpg&bgcolor=fff8f6&fastscale=True&down.colorspace=linear&width=1440&height=519

157

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Thanks for the tip-off!

Had to have a sampler; foookin painful to watch the Hero run around in the snow with one bare foot.

I have done enough naked frolicking (ask no questions - read no lies  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ) in the snow in my days to know how that hurts!

Last edited by 0073 (16th Oct 2020 06:11)

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
-Mr Arlington Beech

158

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Can you belive the lead actor isn't a an actor, he's a rapper!
And Jonathan Rhys Meyers did the whole role in German. I think he's good at languages, I saw a movie where he spoke a lot of Mandarin.

Last edited by Number24 (16th Oct 2020 08:54)

159

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Time to contribute something: The story of Ryszard Kuklinski, a Polish army colonel and a CIA asset “Jack Strong”.

https://visegradinsight.eu/ryszard-kukl … is-nation/

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
-Mr Arlington Beech

160

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Thanks N24. Looks good. Will buy the DVD as it's only £3.00

"Any of the opposition around..?"

161

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

That's a great contribution! I didn't know about Ryszard Kuklinski, who in my opinion is a Polish hero.

162

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Number24 wrote:

I found the entrie movie online. It's not subtitled, but it's a highly visual movie. The villans are in nazi uniforms, the most evil-looking uniforms in history, but the story is mostly about Jan Baalsrud's battle with the elements. The events in the movie are true with the exception of a couple of a exagerated scenes.
I suggest anyone with an interst in WWII resistance and survival stories watch it soon, because it's bound to dispear from the net soon:

Entire movie:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1tB4ztKP8M

https://www.canaldigital.no/contentassets/6fc0d68604984559a965c873ac729824/den12.mann.jpg?format=jpg&bgcolor=fff8f6&fastscale=True&down.colorspace=linear&width=1440&height=519


It's also on Netflix (UK). I will watch it tonight, hopefully. Thanks N24.

163

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

There's been some talk about The Guns of Navarone lately, mostly by me. We know it leans heavy towards the cinematic and not the realistic, but I wonder about the mountain climbing part. I'm thinking of not just climbing mountains, but using ropes and other equipment to do so. Were there any cases of WWII special forces doing mountaineering on an operation? We know many SF units trained at it , including the Commandoes.
I know of the US Rangers climbing Pointe du Hoc on D-day, but that was in the elite infantry role and not really special operations in my opinion. Can anyone think of an example?

164

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Number24 wrote:

There's been some talk about The Guns of Navarone lately, mostly by me. We know it leans heavy towards the cinematic and not the realistic, but I wonder about the mountain climbing part. I'm thinking of not just climbing mountains, but using ropes and other equipment to do so. Were there any cases of WWII special forces doing mountaineering on an operation? We know many SF units trained at it , including the Commandoes.
I know of the US Rangers climbing Pointe du Hoc on D-day, but that was in the elite infantry role and not really special operations in my opinion. Can anyone think of an example?

Would Operation Gunnerside count? It's the raid on the Norsk Hydro Vemork plant.

Also: I don't know for sure, I would have to dig up some reference, but I would wager that British covert teams operating in the Balkans  as well as in the Greek islands had to do some rock climbing.

Last edited by 0073 (19th Oct 2020 06:42)

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
-Mr Arlington Beech

165

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Gunnerside doesn't count. The saboteurs had to pass a gorge on the way to the factory, but they didn't use any ropes and the main danger was not knocking over any stones that would alert the German guards,
I agree the Balkans and hte Greek islands (like in the movie) are our best bets.

166

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Daily Express: WW2: Hitler's true nuclear capacity exposed in secret sabotage mission that ‘saved world'.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/13 … ermint-spt

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

167

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

On Stalin's Secret Service - Richard Sorge
An entertaining video on Stalin's main spy in Japan, one of the few cases of spies who probably vhanged history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn9NyRfbSOo

168

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

I watched The 12th Man. What an amazing story! All the people who put themselves at risk by helping him were incredibly brave, as was he.

169

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

They absolutely were. There are some exagerations, let's say the Germans were much less active in the actual events, but the real story was always Jan Baalsrud's fight to survive in hte harsh nature and the civilians who saved him.

170

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32622651
The Austrian castle where Nazis lost to German-US force !

In early May 1945, American and German soldiers fought together against the Nazi SS to free prominent French prisoners of war. It is believed to be the only battle in the war in which Americans and Germans fought as allies.

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

171

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

When you & a few mates decide to take a tanker hostage, it is probably wise to not do it when you are only about 30 minutes away from the main base of the elite Special Boat Service (SBS) HQ in Poole, Dorset  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Needless to say that it only took 7 minutes for control to be retaken by the elite force.  Job well done  ajb007/martini

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/h … d-22905622

172

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

7 minutes amazing  ajb007/cheers

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

173

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Ens007 wrote:

When you & a few mates decide to take a tanker hostage, it is probably wise to not do it when you are only about 30 minutes away from the main base of the elite Special Boat Service (SBS) HQ in Poole, Dorset  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Needless to say that it only took 7 minutes for control to be retaken by the elite force.  Job well done  ajb007/martini

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/h … d-22905622

Can you imagine when they got the call?

'Right lads, you're being deployed? '

'Where too? Afghanistan? Libya? '

'30 minutes down the road ... just take the car'  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol


Brilliant work by our special forces as per  ajb007/martini

174

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

I only hope they wore masks and kept a social distance from each other  ajb007/biggrin

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

175

Re: Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations

Yes, that's the main thing. I'm sure they wore masks.  ajb007/lol