1

Topic: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help me with my nerdy request. Ray Donovan is one of my favourite TV shows, and I've been finding some of the Los Angeles landmarks on Google Earth, Street View etc. I'm looking for the place in the picture below, but haven't come up with anything. Does anyone recognise it? There are two buildings with illuminated blue signs but I can't find them. Thanks to anyone who can help.

https://i.postimg.cc/rDKJ5zm5/IMG-20201116-193721-2.jpg

2

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

I've never seen the show... but what episode is this in? By the looks of the buildings and trees, it's definitely not in Downtown Los Angeles.

3

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

lilusako wrote:

I've never seen the show... but what episode is this in? By the looks of the buildings and trees, it's definitely not in Downtown Los Angeles.

I'd recommend the show; it's a bit hit and miss sometimes but worth watching overall, especially for Jon Voight's character, Ray's father.

The shot above is actually from the DVD menu of the first series. The locations in the actual episodes have already been discussed online, so are no problem to find, but now I'm interested in this bit. I said in my first post it's a nerdy request! I think the building with the blue sign at the top, with what looks like a logo next to it, would be recognisable to someone familiar with it.

4

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

Jellyfish wrote:
lilusako wrote:

I've never seen the show... but what episode is this in? By the looks of the buildings and trees, it's definitely not in Downtown Los Angeles.

I'd recommend the show; it's a bit hit and miss sometimes but worth watching overall, especially for Jon Voight's character, Ray's father.

The shot above is actually from the DVD menu of the first series. The locations in the actual episodes have already been discussed online, so are no problem to find, but now I'm interested in this bit. I said in my first post it's a nerdy request! I think the building with the blue sign at the top, with what looks like a logo next to it, would be recognisable to someone familiar with it.

Even when zoomed in, the picture is to grainy to see the logo. Just curious, does the whole show take place in Los Angelas? Or are there other locations around the United States or World Ray Donnovann takes place in?

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

5

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

I'll have to add it to my list of things to watch. ajb007/smile

As for the building in the middle with the blue sign and symbol, I'm pretty sure it's a Bank of America sign. But there are tons of tall buildings spread out through out Los Angeles and greater Southern California that could have a Bank of America sign on it.  ajb007/lol  Hence asking if it came from an episode.

Gaging from the palm trees -- my guts tell me its somewhere in the greater LA area, maybe Culver city, or Studio City... though Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena also came to mind.

6

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

lilusako wrote:

As for the building in the middle with the blue sign and symbol, I'm pretty sure it's a Bank of America sign. But there are tons of tall buildings spread out through out Los Angeles and greater Southern California that could have a Bank of America sign on it.  ajb007/lol  Hence asking if it came from an episode.

Gaging from the palm trees -- my guts tell me its somewhere in the greater LA area, maybe Culver city, or Studio City... though Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena also came to mind.

I also thought it was Bank of America, but did a quick google search of their buildings and the design of the L.A. BofA building is more square and the windows are different. Thats why I asked if theres different locations for this show across the U.S.A.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

7

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

Mr Martini wrote:

I also thought it was Bank of America, but did a quick google search of their buildings and the design of the L.A. BofA building is more square and the windows are different. Thats why I asked if theres different locations for this show across the U.S.A.

Judging from the list of locations per episode on other websites -- they all seem to be based here in Southern California, not wandering too far away from the film studios. I don't think they would have travelled across the US, but the photo itself looks very Californian.  ajb007/lol

8

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

Thanks for your help, Lilusako and Mr Martini, you gave me some good tips: the Bank of America logo, which I didn't know (I'm in the United Kingdom but have always been fascinated by the USA), and the possibility of it being in other locations. Part of the first series is set in Boston, so I've had a look there, but not come up with anything. I've spent an annoying amount of time zooming through Google Earth from one place to another! I think I'll give up-it's not a problem not knowing where it is, just a bit irritating. Thank you again for your help.

9

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

What episode is the picture from?

10

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

There could also be a lot of post-production magic going on to. Building shapes may be changed, the palm trees might have been added in Post Production. It would help you a lot if you knew what episode it came from, if it does come from one episode. The only other suggestion I could make is, take note of driving scenes. Where are they coming from and where are they going. Then check those buildings on a route. If you already have addresses of filming locations, you could see what route Google maps provides from i.e. 123 Main Street to 456 1st street.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

11

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

As far as I'm aware, the shot isn't from a particular episode; instead, it's from the DVD menu and appears when you are going from the main screen to an episode, special features etc., and it's just a static shot with moving traffic shown for a couple of seconds. This is why I've not found it on any of the online episode guides. The Bank of America suggestion prompted me to look at different Bank of America building locations on Google Earth to find one that matched, but I haven't come across anything, despite spending quite a bit of time on it!

12

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

Based on how TV shows are normally filmed around here... if most of the episodes are filmed in Southern California, its pretty high chance that it's all filmed down there. Rarely do they ever go outside of that mostly due to budget.

The unfortunate thing about searching for a 'Bank of America' building is sometimes these larger buildings might lose/end their lease and another company will take over. Things are constantly changing here in Southern California, nothing is ever the same  ajb007/lol  I'll try look when I've got some free time again... I'm sure it'll turn up eventually.

13

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

If you can get in touch with Harris Thomas he might know. He was a fan of the show and has been to quite a few RD locations. I think he is friends with the costume designer too.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB  "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC

14

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

lilusako wrote:

Based on how TV shows are normally filmed around here... if most of the episodes are filmed in Southern California, its pretty high chance that it's all filmed down there. Rarely do they ever go outside of that mostly due to budget.

The unfortunate thing about searching for a 'Bank of America' building is sometimes these larger buildings might lose/end their lease and another company will take over. Things are constantly changing here in Southern California, nothing is ever the same  ajb007/lol  I'll try look when I've got some free time again... I'm sure it'll turn up eventually.

From what I can tell, the Bank of America building in Los Angeles has been a BofA building since 1992. Plus, the BofA building in L.A. looks nothing like the building in the photo.

While the sign on the building resembles BofA, my gut tells me it's not a BofA building. Doing a quick overhead Google map search of L.A., I don't see any buildings that might look like the one in the photo. If its not L.A., maybe a city close by?

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

15

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

lilusako wrote:

Based on how TV shows are normally filmed around here... if most of the episodes are filmed in Southern California, its pretty high chance that it's all filmed down there. Rarely do they ever go outside of that mostly due to budget.

The unfortunate thing about searching for a 'Bank of America' building is sometimes these larger buildings might lose/end their lease and another company will take over. Things are constantly changing here in Southern California, nothing is ever the same  ajb007/lol  I'll try look when I've got some free time again... I'm sure it'll turn up eventually.

Lilusako, I think you're falling into the same trap that I have! What starts off with one screenshot of a location, that as far as I am aware doesn't actually feature in an episode, becomes a compelling hunt! I've been spending a lot of time zooming around Los Angeles and the nearby area on Google Earth so much so that it all seems to blur together. As for the building lease changing, the series started in 2013, so plenty of time for things to change. Thank you for you help with this, but please don't spend too much time on it!

JTullock23 wrote:

If you can get in touch with Harris Thomas he might know. He was a fan of the show and has been to quite a few RD locations. I think he is friends with the costume designer too.

Thank you for the suggestion, I have previously contacted Harris on here about Ray Donovan.

Mr Martini wrote:

From what I can tell, the Bank of America building in Los Angeles has been a BofA building since 1992. Plus, the BofA building in L.A. looks nothing like the building in the photo.

While the sign on the building resembles BofA, my gut tells me it's not a BofA building. Doing a quick overhead Google map search of L.A., I don't see any buildings that might look like the one in the photo. If its not L.A., maybe a city close by?

It's not definite that it is a Bank of America building-it was suggested here the logo looks similar, but it might be something else, which makes the task even harder!

16

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread! This must be how the Bond prop collectors feel when trying to identify a particular baseball cap from two seconds of No Time To Die footage.

In case anyone is interested, this is the music that plays in the few seconds the location appears on screen (when going between the DVD menus, starting an episode etc.). It's a nice couple of minutes of music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14z6xhdvnyk

17

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

Just curious about a few things.

1) How many DVD menus are there?

2) Do these other DVD menu feature things from the show?

3) Does the DVD packaging have any booklets in it?

4) If it does have booklets, have you read any of the small print in the books? I'm thinking maybe theres something in the booklets that might mention a company name i.e. Thanks to (insert company name here) for use of their logo or use of their building.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

18

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

Mr Martini wrote:

Just curious about a few things.

1) How many DVD menus are there?

2) Do these other DVD menu feature things from the show?

3) Does the DVD packaging have any booklets in it?

4) If it does have booklets, have you read any of the small print in the books? I'm thinking maybe theres something in the booklets that might mention a company name i.e. Thanks to (insert company name here) for use of their logo or use of their building.

The same picture is used throughout the DVD menus, and there are no booklets with it.

19

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

Here's an update on this (and I thought I'd given up hope!):
I e-mailed the Los Angeles tourism board a few days ago. I have not had a reply.
I ordered the Blu-Ray from Ebay, thinking the building signs may be more legible. It arrived today. However, while the picture above, that started the hunt, is on the menu, it's even worse! There's a big picture of Ray Donovan right over it, so the building signs are hidden!
At this point I think I've had it, and am somewhat resigned to never knowing, unless someone suddenly recognises it. After all, it's only a picture on a DVD menu; plenty of worse things in the world to worry about at the moment. But I reread some of the messages on this thread, and Lilusako's comment about leases changing prompted me to do a Google Images search on my phone. And now I think I've found the building in the picture! I'm afraid I'm going to keep you in suspense a little while longer until I can get on my computer and have a proper look, but the one I have found looks promising, and the surrounding area (or what I can see from the images) looks similar too. I'll let you know more when I can!

20

Re: Where is this Los Angeles Ray Donovan location?

I thought I had found the building myself at one point. I'm not just looking for one building, I'm also looking for the building behind. It appears to be a black building with a white top floor. I thought I had it narrowed down to the area of Wilshire Blvd, 7th street  Francisco Street. I thought it may have been the Ernest and Young building. With a small portion of 1000 Wilshire (Wedbush Center?). But I don't think thats it either.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope