1

Topic: Washing the RGT jacket

Dear Sirs,
I would appreciate your opinion on this.

As I have expressed before, I like color, fit and style of the RGT.
What I do not like is the wax.

Has anybody ever tried to wash clothes that had been waxed?
I believe that I recently read something like that in the description of a new piece of clothing, could've been Ralph Lauren.

I wonder if it wouldn't look quite cool, once the wax had been washed off.

But what is your experience?
What will it do to the washing machine?

Best regards,
7

2

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

On the RGT Website, under the "Care instructions" for the jacket:

"Spot clean only. DO NOT put this jacket in water. DO NOT dry clean."

I would heed to that instruction.

3

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

I think RGT would do really well with an unwaxed version, but ya can't say that too loud around here.  I contacted 'em about it and they said the closest they might come in the future is a tan jungle cloth version.  Maybe if others email them they'll get the message.

My guess is anything you try to do to de-wax the jacket could ruin its shape and still not remove all the wax.  That said, I'd start by hanging it on a wide hanger over old towels in a hot car.

Last edited by Cajun (25th May 2020 16:59)

I edit, therefore I am.

4

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

I have de-waxed a Burberry jacket before in the washing machine.
The look is very different and not so nice.
The color is much lighter.
I don't cope with the wax too.
According to the instructions, you cannot wash it at all?

5

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

Cajun wrote:

I think RGT would do really well with an unwaxed version, but ya can't say that too loud around here.  I contacted 'em about it and they said the closest they might come in the future is a tan jungle cloth version.  Maybe if others email them they'll get the message.

My guess is anything you try to do to de-wax the jacket could its shape and still not remove all the wax.  That said, I'd start by hanging it on a wide hanger over old towels in a hot car.

RgT did an unwaxed copper canvas version a couple years ago. I think a store in Switzerland may have some in stock.


https://i.postimg.cc/WhzxFfgM/Rogue-Territory-Copper-Supply-front-1000x.jpg

6

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

RGT have plenty of unwaxed supply jackets. I think there is even a water repellant canvas version. I’ve got a waxed supply jacket which is superb and a denim one which is sublime. You can see both on my Instagram page.

Yes. Considerably!

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lukey_sparrow/

7

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

I did have to spray the inside of my Barbour Skyfall-ish jacket with enzyme spray (the sort you use to get rid of pet urine on furniture!) to try and clean off the large amounts of my own sweat that it had accumulated without me realising! ajb007/biggrin

These wax jackets manage to not actually keep you warm whilst simultaneously making you incredibly hot and sweaty at the same time: they're like black magic! Bond should probably invest in something with down lining next time he goes somewhere chilly...

8

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

emtiem wrote:

I did have to spray the inside of my Barbour Skyfall-ish jacket with enzyme spray (the sort you use to get rid of pet urine on furniture!) to try and clean off the large amounts of my own sweat that it had accumulated without me realising! ajb007/biggrin

These wax jackets manage to not actually keep you warm whilst simultaneously making you incredibly hot and sweaty at the same time: they're like black magic! Bond should probably invest in something with down lining next time he goes somewhere chilly...

ajb007/biggrin

9

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

Wear it mindfully (not in the driver's seat of your car, etc) for about six months and any wax that's going to wear off will wear off. Trying to de-wax it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

10

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

Ya know, every time I try not to over-articulate my posts I end up having to do it anyway.  I know some people are trying to be helpful; the rest are just trying to be "right."

To clarify: Yes, I'm aware RGT offers unwaxed supply jackets. I was specifically referring to one available online and identical in color to the NTTD jacket, just without wax.  I figured my post made that obvious but maybe not.

I edit, therefore I am.

11

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

Cajun wrote:

Ya know, every time I try not to over-articulate my posts I end up having to do it anyway.  I know some people are trying to be helpful; the rest are just trying to be "right."

To clarify: Yes, I'm aware RGT offers unwaxed supply jackets. I was specifically referring to one available online and identical in color to the NTTD jacket, just without wax.  I figured my post made that obvious but maybe not.

The copper canvas one Westward Drift shared looks like that to my eyes..? Not sure what the complaint is.

12

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

emtiem wrote:

The copper canvas one Westward Drift shared looks like that to my eyes..? Not sure what the complaint is.

Drift falls under "I know some people are trying to be helpful."  The color is definitely similar and some jackets from that 2-year-old run may or may not still be on a rack somewhere in or near the Swiss Alps. ajb007/lol 

I wasn't referring only to this thread anyway. ajb007/martini

I edit, therefore I am.

13

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

In that case I think we all would be very interested to see the outcome of that experiment. Please do post some photos. I believe most of our posts falls under the "trying to be helpful" category in that NONE of us would try to do that to our Supply jacket. So any replies would be either speculative, or not wanting to see you ruin a perfectly nice jacket. Just my thought.

14

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

So it sounds like we’ve started down a rabbit hole that isn’t mine.

Seven was looking for opinions so I volunteered mine (overserved it perhaps).  My NTTD RGT was returned long ago. Seven might be weighing in further on this project.

I edit, therefore I am.

15

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

Sirs!
Thank you for all your kind and helping opinions.
In the end - I washed it!
Yes, because I cannot understand the hype of so-called influencers over waxed denim, which I’m wearing over a t-shirt, which means directly on my skin!
Yuck.
With which I’m sitting on the seats in my car, rubbing the wax into them!
Yuck.
With BARBOUR it’s different, because they are lined and I put them in the trunk.
Please see the photos attached. It shrunk a little, it feels now like the washed GRAHAM and I left the washing machine running empty for three more rounds afterwards.
;-)
If someone likes to purchase it now, since it’s too small for me, please let me know.
Kind regards,
7


https://i.postimg.cc/5Y3bHDYh/1-EB59-A3-F-4-D80-46-EC-83-D7-A7-D30-D0429-AB.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/9zmW3XsC/2-E7103-ED-FF06-4-B60-855-E-8-A1262-A29-F42.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/dZVvGnGL/2-E7-CB705-432-D-4-C3-B-8-D07-5-D85-F52250-FC.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/DS92Rr3M/3-BD86925-2-BA4-48-A9-95-B3-687190-E6428-C.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/MvrZmkPx/4-FE7-A40-A-08-CC-4630-87-D8-C19-BD90-C7935.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/7CSx45xY/6-FE649-CE-05-EE-4-BA9-BEC9-30-E4-C5-FD597-C.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZBZJ5JRP/FD50-E94-D-EF60-4987-8-F75-7314-E406470-A.jpg

16

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

Seven wrote:

Sirs!
Thank you for all your kind and helping opinions.
In the end - I washed it!
Yes, because I cannot understand the hype of so-called influencers over waxed denim, which I’m wearing over a t-shirt, which means directly on my skin!
Yuck.
With which I’m sitting on the seats in my car, rubbing the wax into them!
Yuck.
With BARBOUR it’s different, because they are lined and I put them in the trunk.
Please see the photos attached. It shrunk a little, it feels now like the washed GRAHAM and I left the washing machine running empty for three more rounds afterwards.
;-)
If someone likes to purchase it now, since it’s too small for me, please let me know.
Kind regards,
7


https://i.postimg.cc/5Y3bHDYh/1-EB59-A3-F-4-D80-46-EC-83-D7-A7-D30-D0429-AB.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/9zmW3XsC/2-E7103-ED-FF06-4-B60-855-E-8-A1262-A29-F42.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/dZVvGnGL/2-E7-CB705-432-D-4-C3-B-8-D07-5-D85-F52250-FC.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/DS92Rr3M/3-BD86925-2-BA4-48-A9-95-B3-687190-E6428-C.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/MvrZmkPx/4-FE7-A40-A-08-CC-4630-87-D8-C19-BD90-C7935.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/7CSx45xY/6-FE649-CE-05-EE-4-BA9-BEC9-30-E4-C5-FD597-C.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZBZJ5JRP/FD50-E94-D-EF60-4987-8-F75-7314-E406470-A.jpg

Seven, having myself over the years washed, unstitched, removed logos, replaced buttons and all manner of other experiments with fine clothing, you have my respect for your cavalier attempt!

Do you have the pit to pit measurement?

HC.

Hc.

17

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

Hold Command wrote:
Seven wrote:

Sirs!
Thank you for all your kind and helping opinions.
In the end - I washed it!
Yes, because I cannot understand the hype of so-called influencers over waxed denim, which I’m wearing over a t-shirt, which means directly on my skin!
Yuck.
With which I’m sitting on the seats in my car, rubbing the wax into them!
Yuck.
With BARBOUR it’s different, because they are lined and I put them in the trunk.
Please see the photos attached. It shrunk a little, it feels now like the washed GRAHAM and I left the washing machine running empty for three more rounds afterwards.
;-)
If someone likes to purchase it now, since it’s too small for me, please let me know.
Kind regards,
7


https://i.postimg.cc/5Y3bHDYh/1-EB59-A3-F-4-D80-46-EC-83-D7-A7-D30-D0429-AB.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/9zmW3XsC/2-E7103-ED-FF06-4-B60-855-E-8-A1262-A29-F42.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/dZVvGnGL/2-E7-CB705-432-D-4-C3-B-8-D07-5-D85-F52250-FC.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/DS92Rr3M/3-BD86925-2-BA4-48-A9-95-B3-687190-E6428-C.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/MvrZmkPx/4-FE7-A40-A-08-CC-4630-87-D8-C19-BD90-C7935.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/7CSx45xY/6-FE649-CE-05-EE-4-BA9-BEC9-30-E4-C5-FD597-C.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZBZJ5JRP/FD50-E94-D-EF60-4987-8-F75-7314-E406470-A.jpg

Seven, having myself over the years washed, unstitched, removed logos, replaced buttons and all manner of other experiments with fine clothing, you have my respect for your cavalier attempt!

Do you have the pit to pit measurement?

HC.

Thank you for your solidarity!
;-)
Pit-to-pit attached.
Regards,
7



https://i.postimg.cc/R3X0dj0p/19-BF3825-E174-44-DA-8415-5-FBA45846-C52.jpg

18

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

Thanks for that, looks like it will be too small for me too particularly the length, would you say that's where the shrinkage occured most?

Hc.

19

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

The result is not bad at all!

20

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

I'm kinda curious... what size did you start with? Depending on how severe the shrinkage is, I might try it with an upsized jacket...

21

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

Alex006 wrote:

I'm kinda curious... what size did you start with? Depending on how severe the shrinkage is, I might try it with an upsized jacket...

Medium from what I can see in the photos.

Hc.

22

Re: Washing the RGT jacket

Good catch!