51

Re: QoS DVD Review

Bondtoys wrote:

I am pretty sure that Loeffs got the irony in my comment

I did indeed  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/wink  I was mildly surprised they didn't at least let a month go by before they started pimping the next version, however  ajb007/crap  ...just for the sake of appearances   ajb007/lol

Last edited by Loeffelholz (4th Apr 2009 22:47)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

52

Re: QoS DVD Review

Bondtoys wrote:
blueman wrote:
Bondtoys wrote:

You know, Loeffs, I am blaming you having woken up sleeping dogs... ajb007/crap

Yup.  Terrible thing, discussion.
.

I am pretty sure that Loeffs got the irony in my comment ajb007/rolleyes

Yup.  Still thought it was snarky though, JMHO.

53

Re: QoS DVD Review

... the only occasion that I am getting snarky is when I am reading unconditional praises of QoS ajb007/embarrassed

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

54

Re: QoS DVD Review

Unconditional condemnation is just as absolute, really, and there's been plenty of that here as well, but it's all just opinions!  Nobody gets hurt,  ajb007/smile  so let's all try to be friends...

Not much middle ground with this particular picture...but if anything it will stay on people's minds as we wait for the next one  ajb007/wink

Last edited by Loeffelholz (5th Apr 2009 17:32)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

55

Re: QoS DVD Review

Golrush007 wrote:

Here is my review of the DVD, copied over from my blog.

The film has been released in both single disc and 2 disc DVD editions. Here in South Africa, the 2 disc DVD would appear to be exclusively available at Musica stores, while all others are only stocking the 1 disc release ...

Hey Golrush007, I don't know about the single disc version but the copyright info on my copy of the "Musica" 2-disc version is completely wrong - refers to some The Simpsons production from 2007. Makes one wonder how accurate the rest of the info on the back sleeve is!

56

Re: QoS DVD Review

I suppose the shaky cam effect worked with Bourne because his chase scenes are usually at base level meant to be unenjoyable. He doesn't want to be in this situation, he hasn't signed up for it. It is exciting but fraught in a negative way.

Traditionally, we are sort of meant to enjoy and embrace being  Bond so the action should be enjoyable on a visceral level, and aesthetically pleasing.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

57

Re: QoS DVD Review

I was watching the Blu Ray I noticed on scenes (as in the fire scene at the hotel and the Russia scene)I noticed that some colors are distorted especially in the Russia scene Bond's neck has a shadow effect, but the other objects in the shot are sharp as supposed to be.  Did anyone else notice this?

58

Re: QoS DVD Review

BH1191 wrote:

I was watching the Blu Ray I noticed on scenes (as in the fire scene at the hotel and the Russia scene)I noticed that some colors are distorted especially in the Russia scene Bond's neck has a shadow effect, but the other objects in the shot are sharp as supposed to be.  Did anyone else notice this?

Yeah I noticed that too during closeups of Bond and Camille in the fire at the end (also mentioned it in a post I made on the previous page). Its a minor quibble but the people mastering the film for DVD and BluRay clearly had trouble with the extreme contrasts of the skin and the shadows in those bits. Maybe they'll fix it for the Special Edition.

59

Re: QoS DVD Review

Napoleon Plural wrote:

I suppose the shaky cam effect worked with Bourne because his chase scenes are usually at base level meant to be unenjoyable. He doesn't want to be in this situation, he hasn't signed up for it. It is exciting but fraught in a negative way.

Traditionally, we are sort of meant to enjoy and embrace being  Bond so the action should be enjoyable on a visceral level, and aesthetically pleasing.

That's an interesting point, and I can buy into it.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem as if Forster made such a distinction, and perhaps he should have.  To him, it seems that immersion is immersion---it's the action style-of-the-moment, trendy and increasingly ubiquitous.  The good news about trends and styles is that they wane...

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

60

Re: QoS DVD Review

FACT wrote:
Golrush007 wrote:

Here is my review of the DVD, copied over from my blog.

The film has been released in both single disc and 2 disc DVD editions. Here in South Africa, the 2 disc DVD would appear to be exclusively available at Musica stores, while all others are only stocking the 1 disc release ...

Hey Golrush007, I don't know about the single disc version but the copyright info on my copy of the "Musica" 2-disc version is completely wrong - refers to some The Simpsons production from 2007. Makes one wonder how accurate the rest of the info on the back sleeve is!

That's weird! I hadn't noticed this until I read your post and had a look at my copy which is the same. I suppose the old saying applies again: "This is Africa"!!

61

Re: QoS DVD Review

Golrush007 wrote:
FACT wrote:
Golrush007 wrote:

Here is my review of the DVD, copied over from my blog.

The film has been released in both single disc and 2 disc DVD editions. Here in South Africa, the 2 disc DVD would appear to be exclusively available at Musica stores, while all others are only stocking the 1 disc release ...

Hey Golrush007, I don't know about the single disc version but the copyright info on my copy of the "Musica" 2-disc version is completely wrong - refers to some The Simpsons production from 2007. Makes one wonder how accurate the rest of the info on the back sleeve is!

That's weird! I hadn't noticed this until I read your post and had a look at my copy which is the same. I suppose the old saying applies again: "This is Africa"!!

I got a chance to check the sleeve of the single DVD version in Look & Listen a couple of days ago & its copyright info is accurate, so it seems Nu-Metro just goofed the double-disc version ... which is supposed to be the collectable one! I'll give them a call later this week and complain!

62

Re: QoS DVD Review

I've been holding out on the DVD release because I've merely been assuming that another edition, this one with a commentary track, will be out not long before the release of Bond 23. However, since I've heard nary sight nor sound of any news on the matter, I'm beginning to lose faith that such a project is in the works. Does anyone have any speculation about whether something along the lines of Casino Royale 3-Disc Collector's Edition is in the works for QOS, or should I just break down and get the best version of what's out right now? If nothing else, it would be a good excuse to finally get a Blu-Ray player.

63

Re: QoS DVD Review

Agent Wade wrote:

I've been holding out on the DVD release because I've merely been assuming that another edition, this one with a commentary track, will be out not long before the release of Bond 23. However, since I've heard nary sight nor sound of any news on the matter, I'm beginning to lose faith that such a project is in the works. Does anyone have any speculation about whether something along the lines of Casino Royale 3-Disc Collector's Edition is in the works for QOS, or should I just break down and get the best version of what's out right now? If nothing else, it would be a good excuse to finally get a Blu-Ray player.

I'd bet the farm that there will be a Super-Duper Deluxe Double-Dipper Collector's Ultimate Maximum MoneyGrabber Edition...and it will probably (finally) come out when #23 is in post-production and is ready to hit cinemas...but even knowing that, I'd have bought the current version---like I did with CR---anyway. 

I gave the previous version of CR to a friend when the 3-Disc release came out...

Last edited by Loeffelholz (3rd Sep 2009 15:55)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

64

Re: QoS DVD Review

Its a safe bet that a QoS special edition will be timed to conincide with the release of Bond 23 so as to maximize consumer interest in both movies; that kind of cross-promotion is what has been done in the past.

In the meantime, Amazon.com is selling the current QoS BluRay for a meager $19.49 which puts it in the same ballpark as standard DVDs. My brother was watching the QoS BluRay on his new plasma the other night and the image quality was really really sharp; its a title that definitely takes advantage of the hi-def format.

Here's a link to Amazon's page: QoS BluRay

BTW, Amazon also has the CR Special Collector's Edition 2 disc BluRay for a paltry $11.99; here's a link to that one as well in case you decide to double dip: CR Special Edition BluRay

Last edited by TonyDP (3rd Sep 2009 16:00)

65

Re: QoS DVD Review

Thanks for the pep talk. It's been a crappy little time in my dramatic world, and this is exactly the booste that I needed. What I can do in the meantime is just have my blockbuster account send me QOS so that I can work on my fix until the ultimate super duper epitomic edition is released.