1

Topic: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

I was just listening to this John Barry album from 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFjfl82Dgg

Does this have the earliest arrangement of Bond theme riff played by the orchestra? I didn't realise he came up with this arrangement a few years before TMWTGG, and here it has more of the feel from MR and later. I love the arrangements of the other Bond themes as well. Some of them sound much more mature than they did in the 60s. I suggest everyone check it out.

2

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Matt S. I want to thank you personally. I've spent YEARS looking for that version of the Bond theme. You've made me a very happy man.  ajb007/martini

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

3

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

BruceMurdock wrote:

Matt S. I want to thank you personally. I've spent YEARS looking for that version of the Bond theme. You've made me a very happy man.  ajb007/martini

You're welcome. I just happened upon it on YouTube when looking for some John Barry to listen to at work. This version of the Bond Theme sounds mostly like the OP/AVTAK version. I had thought the TMWTGG and MR versions were just steps to get to the OP version, whilst he had already done that version with only a different fanfare over a decade earlier. For the other Bond themes, I'd consider these the ultimate instrumental versions with the exception of OHMSS. But OHMSS here is very close to the original.

4

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Matt S wrote:
BruceMurdock wrote:

Matt S. I want to thank you personally. I've spent YEARS looking for that version of the Bond theme. You've made me a very happy man.  ajb007/martini

You're welcome. I just happened upon it on YouTube when looking for some John Barry to listen to at work. This version of the Bond Theme sounds mostly like the OP/AVTAK version. I had thought the TMWTGG and MR versions were just steps to get to the OP version, whilst he had already done that version with only a different fanfare over a decade earlier. For the other Bond themes, I'd consider these the ultimate instrumental versions with the exception of OHMSS. But OHMSS here is very close to the original.

I first heard a small portion of it used in some fan made Quantum of Solace gunbarrels and I assumed it was from Moonraker. I heard it again in another video and I asked the person who made it which version it was to no answer. It's amazing that this arrangement even came before TMWTGG as I thought it was a change in style to fit Roger's Bond. This is my new favorite arrangement of the theme next to Nic Raine's faster punchier version of the Symphonic arrangement. The "007" theme on the Suite is also fantastic. Very great work by Barry he never disappoints.

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

5

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Matt S wrote:

I was just listening to this John Barry album from 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFjfl82Dgg

Does this have the earliest arrangement of Bond theme riff played by the orchestra? I didn't realise he came up with this arrangement a few years before TMWTGG, and here it has more of the feel from MR and later. I love the arrangements of the other Bond themes as well. Some of them sound much more mature than they did in the 60s. I suggest everyone check it out.

Matt, we discussed this almost exactly one year ago: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/44521/fav … ond-theme/  Don't you remember?  ajb007/confused

6

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Barbel wrote:
Matt S wrote:

I was just listening to this John Barry album from 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFjfl82Dgg

Does this have the earliest arrangement of Bond theme riff played by the orchestra? I didn't realise he came up with this arrangement a few years before TMWTGG, and here it has more of the feel from MR and later. I love the arrangements of the other Bond themes as well. Some of them sound much more mature than they did in the 60s. I suggest everyone check it out.

Matt, we discussed this almost exactly one year ago: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/44521/fav … ond-theme/  Don't you remember?  ajb007/confused

I thought we might have discussed it. But I hadn't found the album to listen to.

7

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

I bought the album digitally and decided to play around with a new Rescore. ajb007/smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG3p_PvsaoM

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

8

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Matt S wrote:
Barbel wrote:
Matt S wrote:

I was just listening to this John Barry album from 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFjfl82Dgg

Does this have the earliest arrangement of Bond theme riff played by the orchestra? I didn't realise he came up with this arrangement a few years before TMWTGG, and here it has more of the feel from MR and later. I love the arrangements of the other Bond themes as well. Some of them sound much more mature than they did in the 60s. I suggest everyone check it out.

Matt, we discussed this almost exactly one year ago: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/44521/fav … ond-theme/  Don't you remember?  ajb007/confused

I thought we might have discussed it. But I hadn't found the album to listen to.

Well, as discussed in the thread I mentioned above, the answer is yes. The album Concert John Barry has the earliest arrangement of the Bond Theme with the riff played by the orchestra. He would use this arrangement in his concerts (naturally), with variations in subsequent Bond films, and re-recorded it for the Moviola album some twenty years later.

9

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Barbel wrote:
Matt S wrote:
Barbel wrote:

Matt, we discussed this almost exactly one year ago: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/44521/fav … ond-theme/  Don't you remember?  ajb007/confused

I thought we might have discussed it. But I hadn't found the album to listen to.

Well, as discussed in the thread I mentioned above, the answer is yes. The album Concert John Barry has the earliest arrangement of the Bond Theme with the riff played by the orchestra. He would use this arrangement in his concerts (naturally), with variations in subsequent Bond films, and re-recorded it for the Moviola album some twenty years later.

Thanks.

Here's a link to the Moviola version for the record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlBtbrWe31Y

While very similar to the Moviola version, The Concert John Barry is closer to the version from the Moore films, with the swing section not swinging.

10

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Oh yes, agreed- I much prefer the Concert version to the Moviola one- in fact, the whole Suite IMHO is better on the earlier album. Interestingly, the only later piece he added was "All Time High"- wonder why? The MR theme would have fitted nicely.

11

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Barbel wrote:

Oh yes, agreed- I much prefer the Concert version to the Moviola one- in fact, the whole Suite IMHO is better on the earlier album. Interestingly, the only later piece he added was "All Time High"- wonder why? The MR theme would have fitted nicely.

The concert suite on The Concert is indeed the best one I've ever heard. Rather than All Time High or MR, I would rather have heard If There Was a Man. I think it's his best Bond theme (of sorts) post Connery, particularly the alternate end titles version on the soundtrack album.

12

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

This album also has the best arrangement of Thunderball I've ever heard. I really have a much greater appreciation for that piece now.

13

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

ajb007/smile And it's followed by "007" for a nice one-two effect. Damn, I have to go play it now...

14

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Barbel wrote:

ajb007/smile And it's followed by "007" for a nice one-two effect. Damn, I have to go play it now...

It has the ultimate arrangement of 007 as well! The 70s were a great time for Barry. His sound had matured considerably from the Connery Bond films by the late 60s, but he was more innovative than in the 80s and later.

15

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

The whole album is pretty amazing. I've always loved the Symphonic style of the Bond theme Barry commonly used during Moore's run. It just screamed adventure ahead. I also love that version of "007" And the OHMSS theme. Did Barry do any more albums like this and Moviola with rearranged Bond themes? I have another John Barry CD like this called "Great TV and Film Hits of John Barry" It's got some great re-recordings of Bond and other music as well. It has a really interesting version of the OHMSS theme though it's not as good as the original film version.

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

16

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

BruceMurdock wrote:

Did Barry do any more albums like this and Moviola with rearranged Bond themes? I have another John Barry CD like this called "Great TV and Film Hits of John Barry" It's got some great re-recordings of Bond and other music as well. It has a really interesting version of the OHMSS theme though it's not as good as the original film version.

"Great TV and Film Hits"- you mean this one?
http://s22.postimg.cc/5h871lgz1/AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

All those tracks and more are on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Music-Of-John … nK0aDx0y_Q which can usually be found quite cheaply on ebay etc. This is a compilation of most (sadly not all) of his recordings for CBS in the 60s, which included several Bond re-recordings. These recordings have been repackaged many times.

The topics here may be of use: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/23001/oth … endations/  and http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/47015/mis … oundtrack/

17

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Barbel wrote:
BruceMurdock wrote:

Did Barry do any more albums like this and Moviola with rearranged Bond themes? I have another John Barry CD like this called "Great TV and Film Hits of John Barry" It's got some great re-recordings of Bond and other music as well. It has a really interesting version of the OHMSS theme though it's not as good as the original film version.

"Great TV and Film Hits"- you mean this one?
http://s22.postimg.cc/5h871lgz1/AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

All those tracks and more are on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Music-Of-John … nK0aDx0y_Q which can usually be found quite cheaply on ebay etc. This is a compilation of most (sadly not all) of his recordings for CBS in the 60s, which included several Bond re-recordings. These recordings have been repackaged many times.

The topics here may be of use: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/23001/oth … endations/  and http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/47015/mis … oundtrack/

Yep that's the one. I found that at a thrift shop not too long ago. Great find. Thanks for the links as well. Any chance to increase my Bond music collection is always a welcome one.  ajb007/biggrin

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

18

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

John Barry re-recordings of Bond music chronologically by record label:

COLUMBIA- JB Theme

EMBER-  007, FRWL

CBS- JB Theme, FRWL, 007, GF (medley of “Alpine Drive” and “Dawn Raid On Fort Knox”), TB, Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, YOLT, Capsule In Space (slightly re-arranged and titled “Space March”), OHMSS, We Have All The Time in The World,  Try, Who Will Buy My Yesterdays, The More Things Change (written for OHMSS)

POLYDOR- James Bond Suite, two versions of WHATTITW, a different version of DAF

SONY- James Bond Suite plus All Time High, WHATTITW

That's off the top of my head and I may have missed one or two- I'll check later when I have more time.

19

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

I enjoyed this suite. Surprised and very interested to learn that Barry's symphonic arrangement of the Bond theme was fully worked out and performed before Moore's debut as Bond. I'd always supposed that this version had been arranged after LALD's release, as an interpretation of Moore's style for TMWTGG and the subsequent movies which Barry scored. It seems that Barry was ahead of the curve in creating a theme which turned out to suit Moore so well.

20

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Shady Tree wrote:

I enjoyed this suite. Surprised and very interested to learn that Barry's symphonic arrangement of the Bond theme was fully worked out and performed before Moore's debut as Bond. I'd always supposed that this version had been arranged after LALD's release, as an interpretation of Moore's style for TMWTGG and the subsequent movies which Barry scored. It seems that Barry was ahead of the curve in creating a theme which turned out to suit Moore so well.

I too thought he created this arrangement for Moore to have something different for a new Bond, but apparently it must have been done purely for Barry's own changing tastes. But I'm sure Barry wouldn't have used it for Moore if he didn't think it worked for the Moore films. And I'm sure the drum machine in TLD was done both because Barry wanted a more modern sound as well as something harder that reflected Dalton's harder portrayal of Bond. Barry was a genius at arranging music to fit the feel of the Bond films. His scores always sounded unified in that way.

21

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

When I click on the link I've only ever seen the video not available  ajb007/crap
I got that the day after it was first posted and still today. I'm so dissapointed, whilst searching else where for this I was amazed to discover John Barry was born in York, as was my family and we share the same birthday!! I wonder if this has anything to do with my love of his music?

It was either that.....or the priesthood

22

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Chriscoop wrote:

When I click on the link I've only ever seen the video not available  ajb007/crap
I got that the day after it was first posted and still today. I'm so dissapointed, whilst searching else where for this I was amazed to discover John Barry was born in York, as was my family and we share the same birthday!! I wonder if this has anything to do with my love of his music?

See if you can download it with this tool: http://keepvid.com/

23

Re: John Barry: The Concert (1972 album)

Brilliant, thanks Matt I'll try that tonight  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini

It was either that.....or the priesthood