1

Topic: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

Hi forum!

Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

2

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

is your real name Denis?  ajb007/lol

3

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

An Albanian with a name more suited for a Frenchman?

What's next, Blofeld is Bond's brother?

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

4

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

Sorry, what? Who's Denis? 

richmenstoys wrote:

is your real name Denis?  ajb007/lol

Last edited by JB007fan (9th Mar 2018 13:22)

5

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

Wikipedia: "Le Chiffre is the main villain of the official 2006 James Bond film, Casino Royale, portrayed by Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen. Believed by MI6 to be Albanian and officially stateless, Le Chiffre is a financier of international terrorism. M implies that Le Chiffre conspired with al-Qaeda in orchestrating 9/11, or at least deliberately profiteering from the attacks by short selling large quantities of airline stocks beforehand. In the video game version of Quantum of Solace, it is said that his birth name is "Jean Duran", in the MI6 mission briefings."

Dirty Punker wrote:

An Albanian with a name more suited for a Frenchman?

What's next, Blofeld is Bond's brother?

6

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

I heard his real name was Duran Duran but he later changed it by deed poll to Le Chiffre, for obvious enough reasons.  ajb007/biggrin

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

7

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

JB007fan wrote:

Sorry, what? Who's Denis? 

richmenstoys wrote:

is your real name Denis?  ajb007/lol

He was Margaret Thatcher's husband. You may have seen him briefly at the end of FYEO (1981).

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

8

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

richmenstoys wrote:

is your real name Denis?  ajb007/lol

I thought the same thing ajb007/lol

9

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/martini

walther p99 wrote:
richmenstoys wrote:

is your real name Denis?  ajb007/lol

I thought the same thing ajb007/lol

10

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

Some here do accept the video games as canonical.
I just go by the books, and in the beginning M reads a dossier which states

...Monsieur Le Chiffre (alias 'The Number', 'Herr Nummer', 'Herr Ziffer', etc.)...

Maybe Le is short for something, like Leonard or Lester. or Lesley. He probably got teased for having a girl's name, so he shortened it to Le as an affectation, to make it sound more hip-hop, like "whussup Le Chiffre bro, where's them brothel moneys youse owes us?"

11

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

ajb007/insane  ajb007/confused  ajb007/crap 

richmenstoys wrote:

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/martini

walther p99 wrote:
richmenstoys wrote:

is your real name Denis?  ajb007/lol

I thought the same thing ajb007/lol

12

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

caractacus potts wrote:

Maybe Le is short for something, like Leonard or Lester. or Lesley. He probably got teased for having a girl's name, so he shortened it to Le as an affectation, to make it sound more hip-hop, like "whussup Le Chiffre bro, where's them brothel moneys youse owes us?"

My french is rusty, but "Le" means "The" and "Chiffre" means "Number" in french, so I doubt that the "Le" in the name is an abbrevation like you guess  ajb007/wink

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

13

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

Higgins wrote:
caractacus potts wrote:

Maybe Le is short for something, like Leonard or Lester. or Lesley. He probably got teased for having a girl's name, so he shortened it to Le as an affectation, to make it sound more hip-hop, like "whussup Le Chiffre bro, where's them brothel moneys youse owes us?"

My french is rusty, but "Le" means "The" and "Chiffre" means "Number" in french, so I doubt that the "Le" in the name is an abbrevation like you guess  ajb007/wink

Exactly, Higgins, and your French is fine my friend. If the OP really wants to know the origins of Le Chiffre as a name might I politely suggest that he look to the 1953 source novel, upon which the 2006 film version was based, which contains a Dossier for the destruction of M. Le Chiffre.

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

14

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

Silhouette Man wrote:
Higgins wrote:
caractacus potts wrote:

Maybe Le is short for something, like Leonard or Lester. or Lesley. He probably got teased for having a girl's name, so he shortened it to Le as an affectation, to make it sound more hip-hop, like "whussup Le Chiffre bro, where's them brothel moneys youse owes us?"

My french is rusty, but "Le" means "The" and "Chiffre" means "Number" in french, so I doubt that the "Le" in the name is an abbrevation like you guess  ajb007/wink

Exactly, Higgins, and your French is fine my friend. If the OP really wants to know the origins of Le Chiffre as a name might I politely suggest that he look to the 1953 source novel, upon which the 2006 film version was based, which contains a Dossier for the destruction of M. Le Chiffre.

And... in brief (if I remember correctly), he's just a cypher, a number on a passport.
Name never revealed.

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

15

Re: Le Chiffre's real name - Jean Duran?

Dirty Punker wrote:
Silhouette Man wrote:
Higgins wrote:

My french is rusty, but "Le" means "The" and "Chiffre" means "Number" in french, so I doubt that the "Le" in the name is an abbrevation like you guess  ajb007/wink

Exactly, Higgins, and your French is fine my friend. If the OP really wants to know the origins of Le Chiffre as a name might I politely suggest that he look to the 1953 source novel, upon which the 2006 film version was based, which contains a Dossier for the destruction of M. Le Chiffre.

And... in brief (if I remember correctly), he's just a cypher, a number on a passport.
Name never revealed.

Correct, he was a displaced person after WWII and claiming that he had amnesia, couldn't remember his name but took on the name Le Chiffre as he was only a number on a passport.

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).