601

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

OHMSS for 50th anniversary.

Watched it with my girlfriend. She was kinda puzzled why go to all the effort to show Bond getting married only to bump her off right away? I think she has a point considering the films didn’t even make the slightest mention of it again until 1977.

She also thought Blofeld in that film was the best, most evil Bond villain.

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. MR 2. GE 3. TSWLM 4. DN 5. GF 6. TND 7. TMWTGG 8. OP 9. TWINE 10. AVTAK

602

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Thunderpussy wrote:

I also think he had some of the best suits in QOS, before they
Went for that tight look.

Yep the clothes were good.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

603

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

License to kill,  this morning, as I'm off work today. Still one of my favourites.
Dalton puts in a great performance and R Davi is a superb villain

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

604

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Just watched The world is not enough tonight. Its been a while since i watched it through the whole movie, but this time i decided to watch with complete concentration through the whole movie. And i think its quite good actually! So my Brosnan list is like this:
Goldeneye really good bond movie (one of the best) second, The world is not enough, its better than i remembered and i truly enjoyed it, so this time the movie climbed higher on my list. And as for the other two, there's no need to even mention them for me. Maybe he should have just made Goldeneye and The world... and then maybe people would put Pierce on a higher scale?

605

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

fyeo last week.
a great british cast of julian glover, michael gothard (a personal favourite), john wyman, jack klaff and charles dance ( who im sure would have been a main villain if he had half of the career he has had since).

"You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
James Bond- Licence To Kill

606

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

I love FYEO a lot, it feels refreshing that its not so convoluted in its plotting, and that its not yet another remake of YOLT for once. That said... it does feel patchy, like they added action scenes at the end of each key scene. Its Michael G. Wilson's first script, and it shows in that regard. It also shows, however, in the emphasis on Bond's psyche, which is a touch I think we can all appreciate.

And, of course, Moore is so good in this.

607

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Last night I began a marathon - I'm going to re-watch all 20 "Ultimate Edition" DVDs complete with docummentaries. The amount of bonus material hasn't been bested since, imho (do the "Bond 50" blu rays include this features, btw?).

Began with Dr No, of course. The feature on Dowry Digital restoration is very interesting. Shocking to see how technology has evolved (their equipment would be obsolete nowadays), and good to know there are 4K versions of the camera film somewhere.

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
"The very words I live by."

608

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Bond films are now being shown once again on television. I watched Diamonds Are Forever on Sunday. I am still not a fan of this film and did not finish watching to the end. This time I got to where Plenty O'Toole was thrown into the swimming pool. I must say though that my wife was nagging at me because she says I have seen James Bond films too many times or I would have watched more. ajb007/rolleyes

609

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

writingsonthewall wrote:

Last night I began a marathon - I'm going to re-watch all 20 "Ultimate Edition" DVDs complete with docummentaries. The amount of bonus material hasn't been bested since, imho (do the "Bond 50" blu rays include this features, btw?).

Began with Dr No, of course. The feature on Dowry Digital restoration is very interesting. Shocking to see how technology has evolved (their equipment would be obsolete nowadays), and good to know there are 4K versions of the camera film somewhere.

Ι would really encourage you see NSNA in its restored picture in BD, it looks beautiful in there, never looked better in any version before (and I liked the DVD edition, myself). And it has some nice features on the making of it, though not as extensive as either I would've liked or how the EON are (reasonably) treated.

610

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Jimmy Bond wrote:
writingsonthewall wrote:

Last night I began a marathon - I'm going to re-watch all 20 "Ultimate Edition" DVDs complete with docummentaries. The amount of bonus material hasn't been bested since, imho (do the "Bond 50" blu rays include this features, btw?).

Began with Dr No, of course. The feature on Dowry Digital restoration is very interesting. Shocking to see how technology has evolved (their equipment would be obsolete nowadays), and good to know there are 4K versions of the camera film somewhere.

Ι would really encourage you see NSNA in its restored picture in BD, it looks beautiful in there, never looked better in any version before (and I liked the DVD edition, myself). And it has some nice features on the making of it, though not as extensive as either I would've liked or how the EON are (reasonably) treated.

Been meaning to for a long time now. As I foolishly passed on the DVD, I'll be sure to track a copy down. Thanks for the suggestion!!

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
"The very words I live by."

611

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

writingsonthewall wrote:
Jimmy Bond wrote:
writingsonthewall wrote:

Last night I began a marathon - I'm going to re-watch all 20 "Ultimate Edition" DVDs complete with docummentaries. The amount of bonus material hasn't been bested since, imho (do the "Bond 50" blu rays include this features, btw?).

Began with Dr No, of course. The feature on Dowry Digital restoration is very interesting. Shocking to see how technology has evolved (their equipment would be obsolete nowadays), and good to know there are 4K versions of the camera film somewhere.

Ι would really encourage you see NSNA in its restored picture in BD, it looks beautiful in there, never looked better in any version before (and I liked the DVD edition, myself). And it has some nice features on the making of it, though not as extensive as either I would've liked or how the EON are (reasonably) treated.

Been meaning to for a long time now. As I foolishly passed on the DVD, I'll be sure to track a copy down. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Be sure its not the earliest, 2001 DVD, but the newer one, that coincided with the blu-ray release. Its got the said extras, including Barbara Carrera and Kersh himself talking about the experience.

Afterwards, and only afterwards, you could seek out a certain fan-edit that was made on this particular film...

612

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Jimmy Bond wrote:
writingsonthewall wrote:
Jimmy Bond wrote:

Ι would really encourage you see NSNA in its restored picture in BD, it looks beautiful in there, never looked better in any version before (and I liked the DVD edition, myself). And it has some nice features on the making of it, though not as extensive as either I would've liked or how the EON are (reasonably) treated.

Been meaning to for a long time now. As I foolishly passed on the DVD, I'll be sure to track a copy down. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Be sure its not the earliest, 2001 DVD, but the newer one, that coincided with the blu-ray release. Its got the said extras, including Barbara Carrera and Kersh himself talking about the experience.

Afterwards, and only afterwards, you could seek out a certain fan-edit that was made on this particular film...

Hmmmm. Now I'm intrigued. As I did watch the movie back then (what I've been meaning to do is own a copy and watch it nowadays), please tell me more about this fanedit.

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
"The very words I live by."

613

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

There's a thread where you ask for directions for the fan-edit itself. Look in this very forum for 'Never Say McClory Again'.

However, do buy it, first.

EDIT: The original DVD/Blu-ray, I mean.

Last edited by Jimmy Bond (17th Jul 2019 05:57)

614

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Octopussy - It just keeps getting better with every viewing.

The sheer amount of action is superb and they never lose sight of Bond’s character amidst the chaos.
Bond is really put through the wringer in this film and it’s not surprising he is bed ridden with several injuries by the end. Whoever thinks RM’s missions were a cakewalk needs to revisit OP.

There was a time when I considered TSWLM as “by far” the best of the RM era
but I have to say that his other ones are catching up fast. I suppose the same could be said about Goldfinger as it’s regarded as the definitive Bond film by every mainstream critic, yet very few Bond fans on here rank it as #1

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. MR 2. GE 3. TSWLM 4. DN 5. GF 6. TND 7. TMWTGG 8. OP 9. TWINE 10. AVTAK

615

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

A bit of NSNA. Really, it seems to me that Connery is not playing Bond in this movie. He seems hesitant and apologetic about everything, like a narcissist without his enablers. I have watched the bootleg vesion with mostly John Barry on the soundtrack, so watching this I get surprised by how awful some of the music is, and the other stuff too, cringey moments that get cut out of the other version.

Die Another Day seemed better than I remembered, largely because it's now so topical. References to the danger of North Korea are more potent, plus we have China and Hong Kong in the mix. Much of that passed me by at the time, and the writers were doubtless hoping to anticipate events, which they did but by nearly two decades! Even Madonna's awful theme sounds quite contemporary now.

The whole premise of the minefield and Moon getting around it with hovecrafts is simply ingenious. Bond shooting the minefield so it would blow up and deter his pursuants passed me by too.

In my defence, there is a lot of information and exposition early on and Wade and Purvis have the usual problem of producing a droll script (sometimes) with nobody directing or acting who can quite carry it off. 'It's a minefield out there' is a good line, a joke phrase that in this case also informs, but Brosnan has a mumbly bored delivery and the soundtrack just isn't quite clear enough for it to carry, you have to strain to hear the jokes which you don't anticipate because the tone is so dry.
In the pts chase the music level is all wrong, it's rubbish. That said, there is a real sense of dread and foreboding when Bond is stranded there that we haven't seen in another film.
In the era of Alexa, the whole invisible car thing isn't quite as bonkers as it might have seemed.

Of course the film is rubbish really and the main problem is that unfamiliar information piles up, as do so many different settings and set pieces just thrown at us, it doesn't charm at all. It doesn't settle into a theme. Again, it's hard to hear the dialogue quite, the nadir being that Cuban agent and his cigar, why like Matthis they keep insisting on these actors you can never quite make out I do not know.

Brosnan has some odd posturing in this film, puts me in mind of Beavis and Butthead, has anyone else noticed this?
Doesn't the film give away that Moon becomes Graves early on for anyone paying attention, in the DNA clinic where a photo of Moon is on the right showing his eventual destination Graves?
Still one of the worst and almost wholly charmless that said it does throw a lot at you and there have been many disappointments since.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

616

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

For some reason, my wife wanted to rewatch Die Another Day.  ajb007/crap

Anyway, I agreed on the condition that I don't have to watch beyond the point where Bond arrives in Iceland. When Bond pulls up outside the ice palace and has that exchange with Mr Kil - 'There's a name to die for." - my wife agreed that we need watch no further.

In some ways DAD is a nostalgic film for me. In fact, it was the first Bond film I saw in the cinema, even though I'd been a Bond fan since before the release of TND. There a few bits in the first half of the film that I do still find enjoyable, but they are mostly limited to the pre-title sequence, the scenes with Raoul in Cuba, the underground scene with M isn't too bad, and some of the Blades stuff is decent. But beyond that, my enjoyment comes mostly from David Arnold's score.

617

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

The Vanquish's V12 roar and the ice chase barely makes it worth watching but we share most the same moments that make it watchable.

But you know, I actually find the fencing scenes enjoyable aswell. After that it's all downhill before a jolt with the ice chase and then it's dead again. Poor Diablo ajb007/crap

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

618

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Re NSNA, I forgot to mention Largo's dialogue during the Tears of Allah or whatever it's called sequence. Something like 'The people who used to run this place had power, but not like we have now got!' which seems straight out of the Ernie Wise school of scriptwriting.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

619

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Re NSNA, I forgot to mention Largo's dialogue during the Tears of Allah or whatever it's called sequence. Something like 'The people who used to run this place had power, but not like we have now got!' which seems straight out of the Ernie Wise school of scriptwriting.

While Lorenzo Semple Jr wrote the screenplays for some fantastic films, like Three Days of the Condor, he also wrote for the 1960s Batman. NSNA is along the lines of the silly Batman show/film.

620

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Napoleon Plural wrote:

nobody directing or acting who can quite carry it off.

https://i.postimg.cc/yD365mg8/c555fc3b2d2e88cbaefd624f9b733555.jpg

621

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Well, she's not such a great actress in the Bond films, okay but not as good as elsewhere. I mean, she got an Oscar for 11 mins as Elizabeth I... a tad overrated.
But I really meant Brosnan, and now Craig, not great with the laughter lines.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

622

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Currently watching Sir Roger enjoying himself in a View to a Kill.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

623

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Yeah, I saw that with my 90-year-old Dad on TV the other night, I've always liked AVTAK and he enjoyed it til the end, recognsied Grace Jones though more likely from her encounter with the chat show host Russell Harty back in the day. She and Zorin are great villains, surely the best of 80s.

The whole thing just plays out in a very smooth, likeable way.

At one point my Dad asked, doesn't someone get shot out of a tree at this point and of course the whole Chantilly stuff has echoes of Moonraker, with Bond's notcturnal snooping. In MR he uses seduction to advance his spying around, in AVTAK he uses 'seduction' to get out of his spying around, though there understandably isn't much chemistry between him and May Day (understandably from her pov, as he's 58 and square really) and maybe that marrs the idea that later she and Bond would cooperate to spite Zorin.

Always thought Moore looked younger in this despite the carpers, but not this time round - maybe film flatters more than digital, in particular Blu Ray. He looked better a few years later popping up to give Cubby Broccoli his honourary Oscar. But that's often the way, Connery looked better after both his 'final' Bond films, in films like The First Great Train Robbery and then The Rock, and so did Brosnan after DAD.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

624

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Matt S wrote:
Napoleon Plural wrote:

Re NSNA, I forgot to mention Largo's dialogue during the Tears of Allah or whatever it's called sequence. Something like 'The people who used to run this place had power, but not like we have now got!' which seems straight out of the Ernie Wise school of scriptwriting.

While Lorenzo Semple Jr wrote the screenplays for some fantastic films, like Three Days of the Condor, he also wrote for the 1960s Batman. NSNA is along the lines of the silly Batman show/film.

Cannot agree at all with you.

625

Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Last night watched From Russia With Love. Blu-ray on 100" projector screen.

A bit slow, but has an elegant sense of style.

A few minor thing that never occurred to me before:

I wish Bond would have killed Krilencu as it would have been one of the coolest shots in the series. Instead Bond gets to be a monopod which is not going to make any 007 highlight reels. 

Despite the title, not much of a Russian vibe to this film. Goldeneye and Octopussy have far more Russian influence. 

Bond should keep the film strip at the end for his personal collection!  ajb007/lol

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. MR 2. GE 3. TSWLM 4. DN 5. GF 6. TND 7. TMWTGG 8. OP 9. TWINE 10. AVTAK