176

Re: No Time To Die

Matt S wrote:

I have never heard of "A View to a Kill" being a typo. I thought the "From" was dropped on purpose. I know that TND was the result of a typo. TNL would have been much better.

you're probably right, but why would they choose to drop the word and render the phrase meaningless?

in those other cases, I agree Fleming's intentions are meaningless once the filmmakers decide to replace Fleming's story with another plot. They should still find a way to make the title relate with to the content of their new story, and I would prefer something more thoughtful than simply naming a woman Octopussy or an evil organization Q.U.A.N.T.U.M.

177

Re: No Time To Die

Number24 wrote:

This movie title is hotly debated because it's so bland and uncontroversial  ajb007/biggrin

This couldn't be more true!

178

Re: No Time To Die

caractacus potts wrote:
Matt S wrote:

I have never heard of "A View to a Kill" being a typo. I thought the "From" was dropped on purpose. I know that TND was the result of a typo. TNL would have been much better.

you're probably right, but why would they choose to drop the word and render the phrase meaningless?

in those other cases, I agree Fleming's intentions are meaningless once the filmmakers decide to replace Fleming's story with another plot. They should still find a way to make the title relate with to the content of their new story, and I would prefer something more thoughtful than simply naming a woman Octopussy or an evil organization Q.U.A.N.T.U.M.

I don't see how "A View to a Kill" has any less meaning without "From".

179

Re: No Time To Die

Matt S wrote:
Number24 wrote:

This movie title is hotly debated because it's so bland and uncontroversial  ajb007/biggrin

This couldn't be more true!

Well, it has created buzz.

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

180

Re: No Time To Die

Matt wrote:

I don't see how "A View to a Kill" has any less meaning without "From".

then I concede I don't know what it means.
Isn't "from a view, to a kill" referring to two actions taken by a hunter, in sequence?
First you view your prey, then you kill your prey.

is the "from" implied in the film title?
is Bond hunting Zorin? (I guess, that's his job, but the same is true in every film).
Is Zorin or Mayday hunting someone? increased market share for microchips is their goal, albeit by killing millions of people to manipulate the supply. What is the kill? Are they going to make a killing in the marketplace, is that "the kill"?

within the film, the line is spoken when Zorin and Mayday admire the view over San Francisco, and I don't think it means anything there.
Zorin: "what a view!" Mayday: "...to a kill!"
It always sounded like a non-sequitir to me.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding their dialog, and I wouldn't mind if somebody patiently spelled it out to me.

181

Re: No Time To Die

So even if it might be bad marketing, it's brilliant marketing.

EDIT: Potts, I think that parodying the series itself had gotten so far up its schtick that they wanted that line to feel forced.
Unless of course, this is supposed to serve as irony because Zorin even though he means San Francisco will be destroyed by his attack, he himself dies on the Golden Gate bridge they're overlooking.

I'm putting way too much thought into this, I'm sure.

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

182

Re: No Time To Die

Greetings all - been ages since I posted but I couldn't stay away now we actually have a title!

I love NT2D.  The last two movies have had single word titles, so it was time for a "sentence".  There is (kind of) a link to Broccoli, from that 1958 film, but I also think it sounds like an homage to teh Gardener/Benson novels of the 80s and 90s.

Either way I think it works and can't wait to get back into AJB007, debating, discussing and getting NT2D news.

183

Re: No Time To Die

I love the NTTD title and it's actually my favourite original title. I'm not totally sure why though. It sounds really cool to me and very Bond - it doesn't just hint at the danger in his life, but that he's a man on the move who has stuff to accomplish both in his missions and with his enjoyment of finer things.

184

Re: No Time To Die

No time for Lea to die....

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

185

Re: No Time To Die

005 wrote:

I love the NTTD title and it's actually my favourite original title. I'm not totally sure why though. It sounds really cool to me and very Bond - it doesn't just hint at the danger in his life, but that he's a man on the move who has stuff to accomplish both in his missions and with his enjoyment of finer things.

Very easily pleased

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

186

Re: No Time To Die

zaphod99 wrote:
005 wrote:

I love the NTTD title and it's actually my favourite original title. I'm not totally sure why though. It sounds really cool to me and very Bond - it doesn't just hint at the danger in his life, but that he's a man on the move who has stuff to accomplish both in his missions and with his enjoyment of finer things.

Very easily pleased

Well, I hated spectre and I'm not a fan of Skyfall as films. So perhaps not.

187

Re: No Time To Die

005 wrote:
zaphod99 wrote:
005 wrote:

I love the NTTD title and it's actually my favourite original title. I'm not totally sure why though. It sounds really cool to me and very Bond - it doesn't just hint at the danger in his life, but that he's a man on the move who has stuff to accomplish both in his missions and with his enjoyment of finer things.

Very easily pleased

Well, I hated spectre and I'm not a fan of Skyfall as films. So perhaps not.

ajb007/smile

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

188

Re: No Time To Die

Just watched an episode of The Saint, its title 'A Time To Die' - (Series 6 Episode 8), won't spoil it for any one but might be interesting to see comparisons to the plot of 'No Time To Die'.