826

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

ml94 wrote:

Aidan Turner.

He's my top choice as well!

You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us

827

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

If we can get over the "he's an American" thing, I'm a huge proponent of Aaron Tveit.

If you're worried about the British accent, watch Les Miserables.

He'd be the perfect age of 39-40 by start of B26, and he has that "cruel mouth" Fleming described Bond as having...


https://i.postimg.cc/jCN7nhfj/17161-FC0-F6-D3-45-A0-93-E8-B785157-EB87-E.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/CzgfGfCs/C08-D2103-760-F-4123-A919-9-A04760-F8-D59.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/jL4nZdZ0/F3-C5-BE5-B-5411-4430-8-BA5-65-E2-D860-FB89.jpg

828

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

No thanks. Bond absolutely has to be played by someone from the commonwealth with an accent similar to one from the UK (so Australia and NZ are ok!).

I'll throw my hat in the ring for the next Bond.

829

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

005 wrote:

No thanks. Bond absolutely has to be played by someone from the commonwealth with an accent similar to one from the UK (so Australia and NZ are ok!).

I'll throw my hat in the ring for the next Bond.

Who wants to tell him Pierce Brosnan was not born in the Commonwealth?

830

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Arbogast777 wrote:
005 wrote:

No thanks. Bond absolutely has to be played by someone from the commonwealth with an accent similar to one from the UK (so Australia and NZ are ok!).

I'll throw my hat in the ring for the next Bond.

Who wants to tell him Pierce Brosnan was not born in the Commonwealth?

Is Ireland not part of the commonwealth? It's still part of the uk? Former members then? He was born only a few years after Ireland was no longer part of the commonwealth. Close enough ajb007/smile

831

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

I have a feeling they're going to go with a considerably younger actor for 007 in the next block of films.  Daniel Craig was a Gen-X and Millennial Bond, but those generations are entering retirement and middle-age years.  The next generation is also big and technology-driven but more grounded and reserved, at least according to demographers.  I suspect they'll want a more classic Bond type -- not the angsty, psychologically tortured (a la Bruce Wayne, etc.) Bond of the Craig era but someone confident and pragmatic, at ease with himself but navigating a world that doesn't always make sense.

832

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Gassy Man wrote:

I have a feeling they're going to go with a considerably younger actor for 007 in the next block of films.  Daniel Craig was a Gen-X and Millennial Bond, but those generations are entering retirement and middle-age years.  The next generation is also big and technology-driven but more grounded and reserved, at least according to demographers.  I suspect they'll want a more classic Bond type -- not the angsty, psychologically tortured (a la Bruce Wayne, etc.) Bond of the Craig era but someone confident and pragmatic, at ease with himself but navigating a world that doesn't always make sense.

I generally agree, and also hope you are correct. The next Bond will almost certainly be a millennial, unless they go younger than they have ever gone in the past. The so-called millennial cohort is between 25 and 39 currently. So even if the new Bond isn’t cast for five years and is 30 at the time, he’ll still be a millennial.

833

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Miles Messervy wrote:
Gassy Man wrote:

I have a feeling they're going to go with a considerably younger actor for 007 in the next block of films.  Daniel Craig was a Gen-X and Millennial Bond, but those generations are entering retirement and middle-age years.  The next generation is also big and technology-driven but more grounded and reserved, at least according to demographers.  I suspect they'll want a more classic Bond type -- not the angsty, psychologically tortured (a la Bruce Wayne, etc.) Bond of the Craig era but someone confident and pragmatic, at ease with himself but navigating a world that doesn't always make sense.

I generally agree, and also hope you are correct. The next Bond will almost certainly be a millennial, unless they go younger than they have ever gone in the past. The so-called millennial cohort is between 25 and 39 currently. So even if the new Bond isn’t cast for five years and is 30 at the time, he’ll still be a millennial.

I should hope the next Bond be of the Y or Z generation. When the public discusses the next Bond the discussion is primarily for Generation X men like Elba or Hardy. The days when three Bonds could be from the same generation are over. Bond needs to appeal to a younger generation once again, and they don’t want their dad to be Bond. Then again, I liked Pierce in the ‘90s and he’s a year older than my dad.

834

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

I think if they stick with the same M, MP, Q, T cast, then they should have a late 30's actor with height and presence. Otherwise, there could be some awkwardness in the interaction and a feeling of babying Bond.

Other than the significant age difference between George Lazenby and Lois Maxwell. We've never had a young Bond interacting with an older Moneypenny.

Wouldn't be surprised to see all completely recast for Bond 26 in 2024/25.

Personally, I would be happy to have DC once more in a couple of years with the same cast, in a completely stand alone, no strings attached mission, like the old days. Can't see it happening..

I know many insist that a younger Bond will appeal more to younger audiences, but I don't agree. In David Zaritsky's interesting vlog with his son, his son expressed his love for Roger Moore. When I was a kid growing up I loved Roger Moore.  It didn't register with me he was old or too old to play Bond. He was just James Bond! Tom Cruise isn't young anymore. People still love watching the MI films. It's the film that matters most - the story, direction, action sequences, script, soundtrack.

I do think the recent Bond films have suffered with a slight identity crisis and still do going forward. Whether that's trying to be more like Bourne, whether to be a hard spy thriller or whether to go back to the Moore era? Inject some humour? More characters? Compete with the Marvel universe? I think sometimes they forget what worked in the first place and how to recapture that magic formula.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

835

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Bmorelli11 wrote:
ml94 wrote:

Aidan Turner.

He's my top choice as well!

Close but no Cigar. Despite all the hoopla about him with his shirt off i find him weak and lacking presence. Id also much prefer someone taller this time. I want Bond to stand out in a crowd.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

836

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

The Red Kind wrote:

I think if they stick with the same M, MP, Q, T cast, then they should have a late 30's actor with height and presence. Otherwise, there could be some awkwardness in the interaction and a feeling of babying Bond.

Other than the significant age difference between George Lazenby and Lois Maxwell. We've never had a young Bond interacting with an older Moneypenny.

Wouldn't be surprised to see all completely recast for Bond 26 in 2024/25.

Personally, I would be happy to have DC once more in a couple of years with the same cast, in a completely stand alone, no strings attached mission, like the old days. Can't see it happening..

I know many insist that a younger Bond will appeal more to younger audiences, but I don't agree. In David Zaritsky's interesting vlog with his son, his son expressed his love for Roger Moore. When I was a kid growing up I loved Roger Moore.  It didn't register with me he was old or too old to play Bond. He was just James Bond! Tom Cruise isn't young anymore. People still love watching the MI films. It's the film that matters most - the story, direction, action sequences, script, soundtrack.

I do think the recent Bond films have suffered with a slight identity crisis and still do going forward. Whether that's trying to be more like Bourne, whether to be a hard spy thriller or whether to go back to the Moore era? Inject some humour? More characters? Compete with the Marvel universe? I think sometimes they forget what worked in the first place and how to recapture that magic formula.

I don't think young people mind older action stars. Tom Cruise, Keanu Reeves and Jason Statham are all in their fifties and very popular with younger audiences. I still want the next James Bond to be in his 30's. I want to see an actor that age as Bond because he hopefully can make many Bond Movies and not play the old agent in his third Bond.

Last edited by Number24 (20th Aug 2019 12:51)

837

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

zaphod99 wrote:
Bmorelli11 wrote:
ml94 wrote:

Aidan Turner.

He's my top choice as well!

Close but no Cigar. Despite all the hoopla about him with his shirt off i find him weak and lacking presence. Id also much prefer someone taller this time. I want Bond to stand out in a crowd.

Interesting take. Have you watched Poldark through the series (as opposed to catching an episode or two)?

And he’s nearly 6 feet tall, so I don’t really understand the height knock. Tom Cruise is barely 5’7 and I’ve never heard anyone say he “lacks presence.” Humphrey Bogart was 5’8. Robert Redford, Paul Newman, and Steve McQueen were all 5’10. Do you find them weak? It’s true that many classic leading men (Peck, Cooper, Grant) and many Bond actors before Craig were over 6 feet, but that’s one of the less important traits of the character for me. Good tailoring can make up for a lot of it. Craig looks markedly taller in Casino Royale and QoS than he does in Skyfall and Spectre.

838

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

I think Aidan Turner has many qualities that fits Bond, a comanding voice is one of them. What makes me doubt a little bit is that he  hasn't got a strong chin and his smile can look a bit cheesy. I still rank him among my top three favourites, I think.

839

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

I'm not much of poster, but watching Peaky Blinders recently, I saw Sam Claflin playing Oswald Mosley and immediately thought "Wow, he'd make an amazing Bond" . Great actor.


https://i.postimg.cc/YvFdTk0K/MV5-BMj-I3-MDQx-NDUw-OF5-BMl5-Ban-Bn-Xk-Ft-ZTgw-Nj-Y4-Nj-I3-Nj-E-V1.jpg



https://i.postimg.cc/mz7zGXMr/peaky-blinders-9-1565293437.png

840

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Have also thought he would be suitable. Ticks a lot of the boxes. I'm still in the Turner camp though.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

841

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Turner reminds me of a shorter, muscled-up version of Timothy Dalton. Turner has screen presence, charisma and appears to do action very well. I don't know if he can do the sardonic wit part which I'd like to see return....and he may be considered too old by the time Bond 26 rolls around. With regards to many of these younger actors who have been mentioned, boyishly handsome is never going to cut it for Bond IMO.....and some of these guys, no matter how many hours they spend in the gym pumping up their biceps and six pack abs......just look too soft to me.

842

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

I have seen Turner do it all. He reminds me of Dalton and I think he can do everything I have seen Dalton do as Bond, but he has the charm of Brosnan. I think he’s too obvious for Bond. Despite Craig being a non traditional Bond, I don’t think the next Bond will go back to a traditional Bond. I think they may go for another unexpected choice. Turner is just too much like Bond. If they are looking for a traditional Bond, I could see him failing a bedroom screentest. He’d be a great literary Bond, though, similar to Dalton.

843

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Matt S wrote:

I have seen Turner do it all. He reminds me of Dalton and I think he can do everything I have seen Dalton do as Bond, but he has the charm of Brosnan. I think he’s too obvious for Bond. Despite Craig being a non traditional Bond, I don’t think the next Bond will go back to a traditional Bond. I think they may go for another unexpected choice. Turner is just too much like Bond. If they are looking for a traditional Bond, I could see him failing a bedroom screentest. He’d be a great literary Bond, though, similar to Dalton.

I agree with all of this. I want to see a return to the literary Bond - because for me that is the best Bond - and I think Turner is the best choice for that. He is fantastic in Poldark and has shown a lot of range while playing that character. But sadly, Matt is correct. They will try to do something bold and different because they (wrongly) think that’s what keeps the series relevant. They always have the most success, even in the Craig era, when they stick closest to Fleming.

844

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

HowardB wrote:

Turner reminds me of a shorter, muscled-up version of Timothy Dalton. Turner has screen presence, charisma and appears to do action very well. I don't know if he can do the sardonic wit part which I'd like to see return....and he may be considered too old by the time Bond 26 rolls around. With regards to many of these younger actors who have been mentioned, boyishly handsome is never going to cut it for Bond IMO.....and some of these guys, no matter how many hours they spend in the gym pumping up their biceps and six pack abs......just look too soft to me.

I also fear Turner will be considered too old by the time the preproduction for Bond 26 rolls around.

That's the problem with trying to cast an actor even several years in the future. There are young guys who are unknown who will likely be in the running and favorites who will be deemed past their primes (if the goal is signing someone to do 3+ films).

And the comment about softness really resonates with me. It's not a question of whether an actor can get ripped. It's more how he carries himself, his voice, his confidence.

845

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Cheverian wrote:
HowardB wrote:

Turner reminds me of a shorter, muscled-up version of Timothy Dalton. Turner has screen presence, charisma and appears to do action very well. I don't know if he can do the sardonic wit part which I'd like to see return....and he may be considered too old by the time Bond 26 rolls around. With regards to many of these younger actors who have been mentioned, boyishly handsome is never going to cut it for Bond IMO.....and some of these guys, no matter how many hours they spend in the gym pumping up their biceps and six pack abs......just look too soft to me.

I also fear Turner will be considered too old by the time the preproduction for Bond 26 rolls around.

That's the problem with trying to cast an actor even several years in the future. There are young guys who are unknown who will likely be in the running and favorites who will be deemed past their primes (if the goal is signing someone to do 3+ films).

And the comment about softness really resonates with me. It's not a question of whether an actor can get ripped. It's more how he carries himself, his voice, his confidence.

I agree with this, The fact that people are still talking about people like Idris Elba for Bond shows how wrong most people are when not looking far enough ahead for the potential of the next Bond. At this point the next Bond needs to some someone born in the 1980s, if not the 1990s. The 1990s really might be what is needed for the next Bond to grab a new crowd of people. This is the new audience Bond needs, and someone born in the 1980s might even be too old to get a young audience. We might see the largest age gap between consecutive Bonds. Though there are almost two decades between Moore and Dalton.

846

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

I think for a 2025 release, circa 1990 is probably the cutoff for the birth year of the new Bond. If the film comes out before that, it could back up into the late 1980s, but I think going younger is a good idea. We haven’t had a Bond in his 20s since Lazenby. It could be a way to “refresh” things without getting too controversial. Especially after an era that has not only featured an older Bond, but also plots constantly reminding us how old and washed up he is!

847

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Miles Messervy wrote:

I think for a 2025 release, circa 1990 is probably the cutoff for the birth year of the new Bond. If the film comes out before that, it could back up into the late 1980s, but I think going younger is a good idea. We haven’t had a Bond in his 20s since Lazenby. It could be a way to “refresh” things without getting too controversial. Especially after an era that has not only featured an older Bond, but also plots constantly reminding us how old and washed up he is!

I like Turner, he would be a safe choice. I also think that a gentleman in his mid 30s would have broader appeal - for instance can you imagine a young chap in his mid 20s seducing someone in their 50's?  Seems unlikely, and works both ways, but someone in their mid 30s you could imagine having appeal at both ends of that spectrum.  Ergo Turner would be a good age, in my humble opinion of course.  There are other candidates that I think I would prefer however.

848

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Miles Messervy wrote:

I think for a 2025 release, circa 1990 is probably the cutoff for the birth year of the new Bond. If the film comes out before that, it could back up into the late 1980s, but I think going younger is a good idea. We haven’t had a Bond in his 20s since Lazenby. It could be a way to “refresh” things without getting too controversial. Especially after an era that has not only featured an older Bond, but also plots constantly reminding us how old and washed up he is!

They will have the opportunity to focus the story on how young and inexperienced Bond is. That was a theme in Craig's Casino Royale, but it really bothered me because Craig was already too old for that kind of story.

849

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Miles Messervy wrote:

I think for a 2025 release, circa 1990 is probably the cutoff for the birth year of the new Bond. If the film comes out before that, it could back up into the late 1980s, but I think going younger is a good idea. We haven’t had a Bond in his 20s since Lazenby. It could be a way to “refresh” things without getting too controversial. Especially after an era that has not only featured an older Bond, but also plots constantly reminding us how old and washed up he is!

I agree 1990 is a good cutoff year for a young Bond, even though a mature looking actor who's a couple of years younger can work too.
I wouldn't mind a young-looking Bond born in 1980 or the early 80's. Sam Hueghan was born in 1980, but he looks about 30. Aidan Turner was born in 1983, but again he looks young. Craig was about 37 when CR came out, but he actuyally looked older.
I can imagine Sam Hueghan making his first Bond film in 2023-24 and making 3-4 in a decade or so (I can dream …). Ideally the NeXT Bond is younger, but I think it could work.

850

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Henry Cavill works as an SAS Bond who fought in the Middle East during the Iraq/Afghanistan war and moved his way into MI6. His physique is simply too bulky to work around another back story. Also, his body doesn't fit an alcoholic character that enjoys fine food. You can be in good shape while fooling around a bit but you will not look like him. Think he'd have to slim down from that perspective but I'm probably overthinking it.

As far as age, he is getting older but people are aging quite differently these days. He could still be cast for plenty of movies. Personally, my dream would be for Christopher Nolan to sign on for a Bond trilogy, a la dark knight, and to plan it around an actor. Signing on Cavill when he is 37 and having him play Bond for a few movies, possibly more, works. He is very enthusiastic about getting the role and hasn't made that a secret. The Man from Uncle was in many ways an audition.

Is he the best actor ever? No but I still think he is good enough to play Bond. He's also the type to really cherish the community and embrace the role.

At the end of the day, the direction of the franchise will be more important than the actor in my opinion. James Bond is in the crosshairs of a PC culture and its roots.

If they are filming 2 DC movies at once, then that is fine but if not this should really be Craig's last movie. It's time for a new Bond and I love Craig. He's my second favorite to play the role. I just don't like the history of hanging onto an actor for too long. Diamonds, View to a Kill, DAD are a history we don't need to follow.