51

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Thunderpussy wrote:

A bit of T-cut would buff that out.  ajb007/wink

ajb007/lol its no wonder Q gets upset with 007 sometimes.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

52

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Higgins wrote:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fe/70/39/fe7039c9efd0c71f92f76f7275659dfb.jpg

But I agree, I've never noticed the damage before! Must watch GF tonight  ajb007/wink

I might join you in that,  virtually speaking of course  ajb007/smile

It was either that.....or the priesthood

53

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

ajb007/lol  I think many of us will be checking  it out again .

quickly  had a look, the car looks undamaged  during his chase with the Mustang,  but is there in the
shooting sequence.  So as suggested it must have been damaged in the chase section.

Last edited by Thunderpussy (6th Apr 2017 12:02)

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

54

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

I certainly had a YOLT (fully laden there, empty here) moment when I saw that. Truly astonishing how you can learn so much trivia on these films that you would never even dream of. I already knew that they also had some engine trouble during filming, as a result, using little of the car's power.

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

55

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Chriscoop wrote:

I might join you in that,  virtually speaking of course  ajb007/smile

ajb007/crap  I was just about to get beer and the bbq ready for you  ajb007/cheers

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

56

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Higgins wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:

I might join you in that,  virtually speaking of course  ajb007/smile

ajb007/crap  I was just about to get beer and the bbq ready for you  ajb007/cheers

ajb007/cheers be with you in spirit,  what beer are we having?   ajb007/cheers

It was either that.....or the priesthood

57

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

https://s4.postimg.cc/ixhntk5cd/IMG_2892.jpg

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

58

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Higgins wrote:

https://s4.postimg.cc/ixhntk5cd/IMG_2892.jpg

Cheers Higgins

https://s9.postimg.cc/uwd5u5h8b/DSC_0010.jpg
I'm doing paperwork while watching so it's on on the small TV  ajb007/crap

It was either that.....or the priesthood

59

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

and you still don't manage to post full size pics on AJB?  ajb007/rolleyes

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

60

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

ive tried  ajb007/crap  , I will  have to attempt it on my laptop one day.
On Goldfinger, I notice the Aston looks pristine when Tilly looks at it after 007 wrecks her car. Always makes me laugh how the mustang has a huge rip down the side but Tilly just remarks on the state of her tyres !!

It was either that.....or the priesthood

61

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

I wonder what Fleming's reaction Goldfinger would have been. I think Fleming's Goldfinger is one of his weakest efforts and the film makers actually came up with a better plan for Goldfinger and a better reason for Goldfinger to keep Bond alive. I think having Goldfinger get sucked out of the jet rather than Oddjob also worked better.

62

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Agreed, also we get to see T Masterton's gold coated death, rather than hearing of it later.

The famed tailing of GF is different also. In the book it goes thru France and winds up in Switzerland, but in the film it's straight to Geneva, and the location is that of the opening to The Italian Job a few years later.

One point really doesn't make sense. It's the tyre slasher scene. I mean, the gadget doesn't just cause a double blow out but gorges Masterton's car, a massive slash. I mean, where the hell would that have come from? Yet we see it happening, and she doesn't seem to notice at all afterwards.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

63

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Napoleon Plural wrote:

One point really doesn't make sense. It's the tyre slasher scene. I mean, the gadget doesn't just cause a double blow out but gorges Masterton's car, a massive slash. I mean, where the hell would that have come from? Yet we see it happening, and she doesn't seem to notice at all afterwards.

Possibly a bit like my missus, who claims not to have any idea how the dents which mysteriously appear on her car have happened?  ajb007/crap  ajb007/lol

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

64

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Also, after the pts it seems that GF is the sequel to Dr No, as it picks up with Felix Leiter and references Jamaica. Okay, it's to clue us in to who he is, but Bond talks about M booking him into Miami Beach out of sheer gratitude. That seems to be a better summary of his mission against No than his near miss against Smersh in FRWL, which v nearly went wrong thanks to Bond's lecherous tendencies. I suppose he did bring back the Lector machine, though we see and hear of no beneficial pay off from that.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

65

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

I always assumed  because he'd been in S.America, he was flying to Miami  anyway. Old M booked
him in, as they were suspicious  of Goldfinger.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

66

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Oh that makes sense. M is grateful for the success of the pts operation.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

67

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Agreed, also we get to see T Masterton's gold coated death, rather than hearing of it later.

The famed tailing of GF is different also. In the book it goes thru France and winds up in Switzerland, but in the film it's straight to Geneva, and the location is that of the opening to The Italian Job a few years later.

Minor point- it's Jill who gets gilded, not Tilly.

Major point- part of the transformation of GF from novel to film is the change in emphasis on the various parts of the story. Fleming spends four chapters in Miami, and the best part of three on the golf game, while covering the raid on Fort Knox in less than twenty pages. The film cuts down on the first two and stresses the third (and similarly with the tailing of Goldfinger). This is quite understandable and reasonable- a book can tell you, but a film must show you. As Kingsley Amis said it is possible to write about a golf game in an interesting and thrilling manner but showing it onscreen is different (the film version is much abbreviated from the book).  This is why it works in the book for Bond to simply be told (by Tilly) about Goldfinger having Oddjob paint Jill gold, but the film has him actually discover her body so we the audience can see it. And also why the film's raid on Fort Knox is more elaborate and involving than the book's.

Off-topic for a moment- this is fairly analogous to Peter Jackson's filming of Tolkien- in the books, Gandalf and Elrond (etc) will spend entire chapters discussing the reasons for a battle, who is going to take part and who their ancestors were, etc, and then Tolkien deals with the actual battle itself comparatively quickly. While Jackson will get the talking over with as quickly as possible then happily spend half an hour showing us the audience the battle in as much detail as he can get away with.

I'm of the opinion that the changes made (mainly by Richard Maibaum, but Paul Dehn also deserves credit) to Fleming's GF novel actually improve it, which is not something that can be said for many of the other Bond stories.

68

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Mnar, you see, lemme tell you about Goldfinger Sammy...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/37/8b/09/378b09cc8ef0ed5358916f5b9e05df32.jpg


ajb007/biggrin

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

69

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Cheers!

70

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Number24 wrote:

I think it's because Goldfinger was the first time they found the Bond formula. Many (most?) Bond movies have followed the same formula since, some better and others not. Goldfinger was perhaps when Bondmania struck and James Bond became a phenomena and not just a series of spy flicks.

But that's kind of what makes Goldfinger not feel like one of the best, cause it just feels like a formula set up movie, doesn't it?  I mean if you say that there have some that have come after, and have done it better, then shouldn't those movies be ranked higher?  For example, could we argue that The Spy Who Loved Me, out Goldfinger-ed Goldfinger?

71

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

I'd argue that it's more comparable to YOLT.

72

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my8GWWAKU-c

Sept 17 : 55th anniversary  ajb007/bond

73

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Wasn't it the first Bond film to really incorporate it's classic elements?
A Villain with an elaborate plan. A henchman with a unique intimidating quality, a Bond girl with a sexual pun name.

Couple that with big action scenes, classic Bond lines, witty banter and you've got one of the best!