9,876

Re: Last film seen...

So Cats was cat litter then  ajb007/lol

Jake the Snake is a CHL fan , never seen it myself

Gonna watch Kellys Heroes for the 50 anniversary , Oddball rules  ajb007/cheers

9,877

Re: Last film seen...

The Spy Who Never Dies wrote:

Cool Hand Luke (1967)

I had never seen this film before so had no idea what to expect. I liked the first half better than the last half. I was expecting Luke to overcome in some way, to somehow beat or change the system (the optimistic side of me). It was hard to watch the brutality of the guards especially with the brutality of some cops being highlighted in the real world right now. And all over a few parking meters.

I can’t stand egg yolk so was glad they only showed whole eggs. But seeing him eating them, still made me feel slightly ill. Part way through that scene I must have rewritten the script in my head because I thought it was 100 eggs he had to eat! Such a relief to know I’d got it wrong!

This movie is in my top 10 list. I first saw this in the cinema upon release when I was 11 and it made a big impression on me. Lucas Jackson is one of cinema’s great characters. Along with the James Bond craze, Paul Newman OWNED the 60’s cinema with his performances in The Hustler, Sweet Bird Of Youth, Hud, The Moving Target (Harper) and Butch Cassidy.

Cool Hand Luke is full of iconic scenes and imagery and it also led to my lifelong love of poker  ajb007/lol

If you haven’t seen it, do so, it is lamentable that Newman didn’t get the best actor Oscar for this movie. Steiger got it for In The Heat Of The Night, another great movie, but Newman’s performance was in another stratosphere.

I guess everyone can tell that I love this movie  ajb007/biggrin

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

9,878

Re: Last film seen...

LAST OF THE MOHICANS (1992), directed by Michael Mann.  Starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeleine Stowe, Wes Studi, and others.

This was the 'Definitive Director's Cut' of the film.  I guess it's 2 minutes longer than the theatrical cut and something like 5 minutes shorter than the extended cut.

It's wonderful.  I hadn't seen it in probably 20 years and honestly, it's even better than I remembered.  It's a very lush, real feeling movie with some absolutely incredible location work, giving it all a very authentic feeling.  The acting from everyone is top notch, with Wes Studi being particularly memorable and intense as Magua, the overall 'bad guy' of the film.  The action is all well done without being over the top or cartoony.

I have to talk about the score.  This is absolutely one of the best musical scores ever put to film.  All musical cues stand out and have an appropriately epic feel to them that enhances everything on screen to the nth degree.  Just marvelous work.

If you haven't seen it in a while, give it a go.  It's well worth your time.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

9,879

Re: Last film seen...

I agree on everything apart from one short shot where the action gets over the top and cartoony. Hawkeye fires two muskets at the same time, something that doesn't fit the style of the rest of the movie. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful movie.  ajb007/smile

9,880

Re: Last film seen...

Number24 wrote:

I agree on everything apart from one short shot where the action gets over the top and cartoony. Hawkeye fires two muskets at the same time, something that doesn't fit the style of the rest of the movie. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful movie.  ajb007/smile

I know the shot that you're referring to...it's at the end.  Of note, Chingachgook also does the same maneuver with two muskets in that scene.

The movie has taken great pains to establish that Poe, Chingachgook, and Uncas are all at, shall we say, 'highly proficient' levels of capability when it comes to combat.  They're not quite at the level of John Wick but they're otherwise better than average.  As such, a moment like you cite can slide for me without breaking the movie.  Also, it was really cool in the moment ajb007/smile

ajb007/cheers

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

9,881

Re: Last film seen...

True

9,882

Re: Last film seen...

I need to buy that soundtrack.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

9,883

Re: Last film seen...

I've loved that soundtrack since I saw The Last of the Mohicans at the cinema  ajb007/smile

9,884

Re: Last film seen...

This is a great movie. I've seen it 2 or 3 times but not for ages. I, too loved the music. Can hear it now  ajb007/smile

9,885

Re: Last film seen...

Spartacus (1960)

I'd been meaning to watch this for a while as I'd never seen it. (yeah I know!) It was too hot yesterday to do anything except be a couch potato so a three hour film was perfect! Kirk Douglas was brilliant, along with everyone else. Jean Simmons looking beautiful as always. I was delighted to see Herbert Lom. There's nothing I could write that would do this film justice. Many here are a lot better at movie reviews than I am. I came away thinking that history does sadly keep repeating itself, and how much stronger in spirit the oppressed can be than the oppressors.

9,886

Re: Last film seen...

The Spy Who Never Dies wrote:

Spartacus (1960)

I'd been meaning to watch this for a while as I'd never seen it. (yeah I know!) It was too hot yesterday to do anything except be a couch potato so a three hour film was perfect! Kirk Douglas was brilliant, along with everyone else. Jean Simmons looking beautiful as always. I was delighted to see Herbert Lom. There's nothing I could write that would do this film justice. Many here are a lot better at movie reviews than I am. I came away thinking that history does sadly keep repeating itself, and how much stronger in spirit the oppressed can be than the oppressors.

I adore this movie.  It's a shame that Kubrick kinda disowned it as he didn't have complete control over the production; he did absolutely brilliant work here.

Of note: it's also my favorite performance from Laurence Olivier.  The nobility and intensity that he brings to the role of Crassus is simply astounding.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

9,887

Re: Last film seen...

Carry On Up The Jungle (1970). Suffice to say that this will probably never get a terrestrial showing in the UK ever again  ajb007/lol . Frankie Howerd joins the gang, minus Kenneth Williams, Hattie Jacques and Barbara Windsor. Bernard Bresslaw stars as a blacked up native. A lot of near the knuckle double entendres in the usual Carry On style, this time spoofing the Tarzan movies. The last act is reminiscent of Hammer’s “Prehistoric Women”!

50 years old now and totally un-pc. I love it!

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

9,888

Re: Last film seen...

CoolHandBond wrote:

Carry On Up The Jungle (1970). Suffice to say that this will probably never get a terrestrial showing in the UK ever again  ajb007/lol . Frankie Howerd joins the gang, minus Kenneth Williams, Hattie Jacques and Barbara Windsor. Bernard Bresslaw stars as a blacked up native. A lot of near the knuckle double entendres in the usual Carry On style, this time spoofing the Tarzan movies. The last act is reminiscent of Hammer’s “Prehistoric Women”!

50 years old now and totally un-pc. I love it!

I love the carry ons and this was one of the best imo and yes soooo un-pc  ajb007/lol

ive smelt that aftershave before and both times ive smelt a rat

9,889

Re: Last film seen...

Not seen it for years so i decided to watch Eraserhead on my "dodgy" firestick. If you haven't seen this film and you like weird than this is one you should watch, you will be sickened and amused at the same time and by the end you will be both baffled and bemused  ajb007/crap

ive smelt that aftershave before and both times ive smelt a rat

9,890

Re: Last film seen...

I watched several good films over the weekend but the pick of the bunch for me was Anatomy of a Murder. I found it to be a gripping drama, well over 2 and a half hours in length but at no point did my interest wane and I felt the time went by quite swiftly. Jimmy Stewart plays the lead role of a lawyer defending Ben Gazzara's character in a murder trial, up against a formidable legal opponent in George C. Scott's character. Despite the serious nature of the drama, there are refreshing moments of levity sprinkled throughout, in many cases provided by the judge who is presiding over the case. The score is provided by Duke Ellington, and the main titles designed by Saul Bass are legendary and iconic. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was quite surprised to realise that this is the first film that I have seen that was directed by Otto Preminger. There are a few more of his that are on my watchlist.

9,891

Re: Last film seen...

we watched ANATOMY OF A MURDER recently as well.  It took a while to get going in the first act but it was very solid.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

9,892

Re: Last film seen...

silvertoe wrote:
CoolHandBond wrote:

Carry On Up The Jungle (1970). Suffice to say that this will probably never get a terrestrial showing in the UK ever again  ajb007/lol . Frankie Howerd joins the gang, minus Kenneth Williams, Hattie Jacques and Barbara Windsor. Bernard Bresslaw stars as a blacked up native. A lot of near the knuckle double entendres in the usual Carry On style, this time spoofing the Tarzan movies. The last act is reminiscent of Hammer’s “Prehistoric Women”!

50 years old now and totally un-pc. I love it!

I love the carry ons and this was one of the best imo and yes soooo un-pc  ajb007/lol

I've never seen a Carry On film  ajb007/amazed
What's the best one? What's the best one to start on?

9,893

Re: Last film seen...

Number24 wrote:
silvertoe wrote:
CoolHandBond wrote:

Carry On Up The Jungle (1970). Suffice to say that this will probably never get a terrestrial showing in the UK ever again  ajb007/lol . Frankie Howerd joins the gang, minus Kenneth Williams, Hattie Jacques and Barbara Windsor. Bernard Bresslaw stars as a blacked up native. A lot of near the knuckle double entendres in the usual Carry On style, this time spoofing the Tarzan movies. The last act is reminiscent of Hammer’s “Prehistoric Women”!

50 years old now and totally un-pc. I love it!

I love the carry ons and this was one of the best imo and yes soooo un-pc  ajb007/lol

I've never seen a Carry On film  ajb007/amazed
What's the best one? What's the best one to start on?

My personal recommendations are Carry On Up the Khyber and Carry On Cleo as good ones to start with from the 'historical' ones, and Carry On Camping or Carry On at Your Convenience from the ones in a contemporary setting.

I also like a couple of the early black-and-white ones, Carry On Spying is obviously enjoyable as an early Bond/spy spoof which also reference the likes of The Third Man, and Carry On Cabby is a good, underrated film.

Carry On Screaming is another filme which is very popular, although it's not one of my personal favourites but if you're into Hammer horrors and the like, it might be one for you.

9,894

Re: Last film seen...

Sound recommendations, all, but a hospital based film is a cert, as three were set there, the best perhaps being Carry On Doctor.

Many of them simply spoof the big film of that day - Carry On Screaming is Hammer Horror, for instance (looks up.. as previous poster acknowledges). Carry On... Follow That Camel is an odd one, as it stars Phil 'Bilko' Silvers and was aimed at breaking the US market - it failed to do so, but it's really a spoof on The Four Feathers, where a spurned coward goes off to foreign climes to prove his bravery. To be fair, many of these work best in the context of being a kid surrounded by your family laughing at the jokes.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

9,895

Re: Last film seen...

Funny Face

Late Fred Astaire vehicle and as Bond fans we can - seeing as it's mostly set in Paris - compare how a leading man in his late 50s romances a 27 Audrey Hepburn, still it's the movies, just like the creaky Moore going after 30-year-old Tanya Roberts in AVTAK.
A good few films fail the MeToo test these days. Fred, who plays a fashion photographer, just kisses Hepburn while she's in conversation at their first meeting after the fashionistas just take over her book shop for a shoot. Actually, Hepburn does get generally abused and put upon during this film and it's meant to be funny.
That said, she sings her own songs here unlike in My Fair Lady where she was dubbed - Hepburn also does a brilliant spiky punky New Wave dance in Paris Montmatre.
This is really an excuse to show Astaire again - whose dancing is still very good indeed - and sing some old songs and show Paris again and that's good enough for me. It lacks a third wheel in the form of an Eric Blore - who died two years after this film I believe. I suppose there's no getting away from the idea that Woody Allen would love this film that said one shouldn't always judge a movie through the prism of the present; it was a bit of fun at the time and Astaire is clearly meant to be younger. It's around the same time as Vertigo, where of course Stewart was really too old for Novak and while that played well in France, Hitchcock blamed his star's age for its poor showing elsewhere.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

9,896

Re: Last film seen...

Thanks for the recomendations. I've started watching "up the Khyber" since I'm a history buff  ajb007/biggrin

9,897

Re: Last film seen...

Number24 wrote:

Thanks for the recomendations. I've started watching "up the Khyber" since I'm a history buff  ajb007/biggrin

Hi number 24, The carry on films are very British humour,i notice you are Norwegian so it would be interesting to hear if carry on films can appeal to a wider audience, my recommendations would be Camping, Cruising and screaming...Enjoy! ajb007/wink

ive smelt that aftershave before and both times ive smelt a rat

9,898

Re: Last film seen...

Generaly we are used to British humor and often prefer it. We've been brough up on Allo' alllo', Fawlty towers, Blackadder, Yes minister/Prime Minster and so on.

9,899

Re: Last film seen...

silvertoe wrote:

Hi number 24, The carry on films are very British humour,i notice you are Norwegian so it would be interesting to hear if carry on films can appeal to a wider audience, my recommendations would be Camping, Cruising and screaming...Enjoy! ajb007/wink

Not forgetting, of course, the classic Bond spoof Carry on Spying! (Note how the gunbarrel shape differs in the two posters ajb007/amazed  which clearly mimic the FRWL poster)  ajb007/martini


https://i.postimg.cc/dLBTftjV/IMG-2986.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ygcDyVNB/IMG-2987.jpg

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

9,900

Re: Last film seen...

The Carry On films are often on tv (in UK). Carry on Cruising is the last one I watched. Very good. I think my favourite is Carry On Screaming. There is also a film called What a Carve Up! (1961) It has Sid James and Kenneth Connor in and is very funny.