Moby or Oakenfold

Shaken_not_StirredShaken_not_Stirred Posts: 9MI6 Agent
edited March 2003 in James Bond Music
In my opinion Moby and Oakenfold made great Bond theme remixes, but i can't exactly pick one as my favorite. There is something about Oakenfold i realy like and that's how he REALY uses the classic Bond theme. Moby's version seemed to be to much techno, and at some parts i forget i'm listening the Bond theme. But you have to give hime credit for his use of the Bond, James Bond" and "You exect me to talk goldfinger... No mister Bond i expect you to die" lines. what do you all think?

until next time...

Comments

• 007online007online Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    Moved to Music Forum :)
    I much prefer the Moby mix to the Oakenfold one to be honest. Much more enegetic, and fits nicely with the 21st century Bond (even though it was made in the 20th century;) )

The Oakenfold mix is pretty lame in my opinion, a bit like alot of his work at the moment. I'd love to see Paul van Dyk or Tiesto let loose on the James Bond theme. The DJ Tiesto mix of Die Another Day is very little known, but absolutely immence !
  • TGO_TGO_ Posts: 46MI6 Agent
    Well, electronica is not really my bag, but I do prefer Moby's version. Oakenfold sounds almost like a by-the-numbers remake to Moby's. Now the guys that I would really want to see remix the theme is The Neptunes.
  • JLMuenchJLMuench Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    I think I prefer Oakenfield. They are both great., but I just cant stop listnening to Bond vrs. Oakenfield.
  • Agent00CRAgent00CR United StatesPosts: 33MI6 Agent
    I'm a big fan of "techno" and its subdivisions such as trance and happy hardcore. When I first ran into the Moby remix, I was amazed; I listened to it again and again! It is extremely energetic, and it has a nice, smooth break two-thirds of the way in (the mix that is just over three min. long). In the extended mix (5:49 min.), this synthy string break (whatever it is!), which comes right before the 4 min. mark, is longer and comes first as a solo before the other layers return. These mixes are great for driving on a warm day in the summer with your windows down and the volume on high!

I like the original orchestrated theme, too, so the Oakenfold mix is another top pick for me. This mix also is full of power, and it's a bit less electronic than the Moby mix. In other words, it contains the original theme with added "techno" elements. This one is also a lot of fun!

I love Bond music, and I like the electronic genres, too. Moby and Oakenfold both have combined two of my favorite tastes in music to produce incredibly great songs! I'm listening to both of them right now, and I can't make up my mind about which one is better. They both have their strengths, so I'm going to take the easy way out and not choose. It all depends on my mood.

The bottom line for me: they are excellent action themes. I'll pick Oakenfold for now, but I'm going to come back and say Moby later!
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    I honestly don't really like either of them, just because I'm not much of a fan of the newer Bond music. In general though, I'd say that Moby's version is better...but not by much. It's energetic, but a little too techno for my taste. Bond has survived without techno for a long time; all I can say is I hope that the techno is cut back a little more for the next film.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
    What about an ambient Royksopp mix ;)
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Oakenfold for me. I like the way sometimes he slows it down, where Moby are constantly going. The good thing about Moby though is their inclusion of the classic line 'Do you expect me to talk?.......' which almost sways it.
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    They are both excellent, I don't like some of the variations on the Moby mix which were on the single. But the main mixes both have their good sides, the start of the Oakenfold mix is really upbeat and punding which I like, it signifies Bond is here!
    Simon
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,557Chief of Staff
    edited March 2003
    Quoting 007online:
    What about an ambient Royksopp mix ;)

I hate that tune - and I use the term tune in it's loosest form ! It's just bl**dy annoying !!!!!
    Getting back on track I vote for Moby - excellent version. I would like to see/hear the Propellerheads have a crack at it.
    YNWA 97
  • Agent00CRAgent00CR United StatesPosts: 33MI6 Agent
    Well, since you threw the Propellerheads into the mix, I have to say that they do an excellent job as well. They were the ones who helped with "Backseat Driver" from the TND soundtrack, which is one of my favorite action themes. I've also heard a nice, long 9:20 min. remix of the OHMSS theme that they've done. I'm sure you'd like it, Sir Miles, if you haven't heard it already.

As for the topic of this thread, I'm still in the Oakenfold mood, but don't make me choose!
  • LivingDaylights737LivingDaylights737 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Is the oakenfold one the one that was used for the GE trailer?
    No that was by ParodiFair (sp?) and was specially made for the trailer, the Oakenfold mix was released in time with Die Another Day and is on the DAD soundtrack CD.

The Moby mix on the other hand was released with Tomorrow Never Dies and has been used a lot since.
    Simon
  • JamesbondmmJamesbondmm Posts: 294MI6 Agent
    The Moby James Bond Theme is in my opinion very good - its really gets you in the mood. Oakenfold is also very good as well - they are both very good at producing Bond music difficult really to pick a favourite.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,557Chief of Staff
    Quoting Agent00CR:Well, since you threw the Propellerheads into the mix, I have to say that they do an excellent job as well. They were the ones who helped with "Backseat Driver" from the TND soundtrack, which is one of my favorite action themes. I've also heard a nice, long 9:20 min. remix of the OHMSS theme that they've done. I'm sure you'd like it, Sir Miles, if you haven't heard it already.

I love the main theme from OHMSS and the Propellerheads do a fantastic version of it - I have a copy of that 9min 24sec version you mention and it's bliss !
    YNWA 97
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    MOBY!

The Oakenfold one was good, but it was slower, not as fast moving. Moby was a great song, really actiony. And hey, if Oakenfold was hired to do DAD, but yet, they used Moby on that movie's trailer.
  • Agent 10Agent 10 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Yeah Oakenfold jsut seems to be lacking something ever so slightly. Its more one that I could see in a Bond video game. But thats not to say it isnt excellent! Only in comparison to the Moby theme do I describe it thus. The Moby theme is fantastic.

I did have trouble deciding between these 2.

Ken
  • Shaken_not_StirredShaken_not_Stirred Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    Correct me if i'm wrong but i do think they made the trailer for DAD long before the movie was finished. I know this cause i was able to download and watch the whole complete thing way befor it was release. Thus, the oakenfold theme may not have been ready yet, thus they used the moby mix. so i don't think that the use of moby's theme in the trailer is a legit argument to prove why you like Moby over Oakenfold. Just thought i'd say that.

until next time...
    Quoting Shaken_not_Stirred:Correct me if i'm wrong but i do think they made the trailer for DAD long before the movie was finished. I know this cause i was able to download and watch the whole complete thing way befor it was release. Thus, the oakenfold theme may not have been ready yet, thus they used the moby mix. so i don't think that the use of moby's theme in the trailer is a legit argument to prove why you like Moby over Oakenfold. Just thought i'd say that.

Thankyou, Shaken_not_stirred, i was truing to make a point, but u ust had to prove me wrong ?:) Oh well. No hard feelings.

But would the DAD trailer have been as good with the Oakenfeld's version?
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    I'd have to say...neither. I've always disliked the Moby version, though I've warmed more to it from the initial "can't listen to this" reaction when I first heard it. The Oakenfold version is competent enough, but not original enough. It's really not touched up much at all and the opening bars are just awful.

As for the Propellerheads version of OHMSS mentioned above, it just rocks. The orchapella version is worthy of a mention too.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • vanguardvanguard Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    Don't care for either one, in fact I sold the single of the Moby one the other day. I got the Moby one for the Grooverider drum and bass mix on there.

I like the Leftfield Space March remix and Propellerheads OHMSS from Shaken and Stirred. Bukem's Bond theme doesn't really go anywher after the start.
    To add another one to the list there is a remix going around on Radio 1 on a Saturday evening it's twice I have heard it now but never caught who did it, it may be the DJ but I don't know who he is either ;)

It features the classical Bond theme and is mixed in with some other stuff it is in my opinion pretty good, need to get a copy of it has any one heard it / know what I am on about?!
    Simon
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent Here and there...Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    I have a question:

I know that Oakenfold's remix appears on Die Another Day soundtrack, and Moby's remix on Tomorrow Never Dies soundtrack, but are those themes actually in the films?
    They were recorded more for promotional purposes than to be included in their respective films.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent Here and there...Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    OK, thanks {[]