Re: Who likes "Tomorrow Never Dies" theme?

I think it is pretty unmemorable (that's a generous appraisal), but then again, I love the kd lang ending tune, which is probably in my top few Bond tunes.

Except for that and some of the score, I think TND is just about bottom of the bucket as a Bond movie, along with MOONRAKER and VIEW TO A KILL -- again, like a song, hate the flick -- and DAD (TND & DAD are the only Bonds I never saw theatrically, and in retrospect ... I sure am GLAD I didn't bother!)

"Achievement is it's own reward - pride obscures it."
Major Garland Briggs, in TWIN PEAKS

She is played poorly by Michelle Yeoh, a less than attractive and talentless actress. Her voice is incredibly annoying and so is her attitude and personality. I cannot believe Bond was attracted to her in any way.

Well, that's about it for Wai Lin. All those things together make her the worst Bond girl of the series, and she brings the film down with her....

I like the first few bars before Sheryl Crow sings, then it goes downhill. I definitely prefer k.d. lang who in my view is more of a timeless singer rather than the anodyne Crow. Surrender is one of the best non-theme songs, after We Have All the Time in the World and If There Was a Man

i actually like the TND and GE themes the best out of all of Brosnan's movies.

GoldenEye is good, but as said before in TND the intro at the beginning is good but is messed up my Crow.

I love TND's theme, but my absolute favourite theme is from TWINE...Right now anyway...I am constantly changing my favourite between the two.

Last edited by The Sly Fox (12th Jul 2003 14:11)

I thought the TND theme was brilliant. I wonder if Sherl Crowe wrote that? I doubt it.

Quoting Magnus14:
I thought the TND theme was brilliant. I wonder if Sherl Crowe wrote that? I doubt it.

It was indeed Sheryl Crow that wrote it, in collaboration with Mitchell Froom.

http://media.open2.net/flags/unitedkingdom.png

Quoting JazzX:
This is one of the annoying things about Tomorrow Never Dies: you get a really strong song at the start, but the score uses theme`s from KD Lang/Arnold`s effort which only appears at the end! You only get a point of reference to the music at the end! How stupid is that!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the kd lang track (Surrender) was the title song of the film and was actually called "Tomorrow Never Dies" up until very late in the production process when Sheryl Crowe became available.  They change the lang track to the end-title piece, but the film had already been scored with references to that song throughout.  IMO Surrender is a much stronger track with better music and lyrics than the actual title track. 

I think something very similar happened on DAD, with the end-title track (written by Arnold) being replaced by the Madonna remix, and the original song ("I Will Return") being scrapped but remaining in the DAD score.

If anyone else has info on this or if my info is wrong (you can't believe everything you read on the 'net ajb007/smile ) please post.

Surrender is one great song, heads and shoulders above Crowe's. That should have been the main theme.

Perhaps we should dub Lang's song over the title credits! ajb007/smile

That's the best idea I have seen on AJB in a while, Alex!  I may try that with the DVD playing video and CD playing audio!

Quoting Felix:
That's the best idea I have seen on AJB in a while, Alex!  I may try that with the DVD playing video and CD playing audio!

It's certainly worth a try! ajb007/smile

I personally love the TND theme song by Sheryl Crow.  I think she does an excellent job at singing this song.  The song has great music, great lyrics, and is bold and classy.  Definitely a Bond classic in my book.

I'm ok with the TND theme song by Sheryl Crow but I actually like the TND Surrender song at the end though.

I like the TND title theme very much, and I play it often.  But then again, for me, Sheryl Crow can do no wrong.  I love all the songs to Brosnan's first three films (title and otherwise).  I think they're all strong, noteworthy entries into the Bond musical canon.  It's Arnold's scores that I'm rather indifferent to.

Quoting JazzX:

Quoting Sir Hillary Bray:
Atonal and shrill -- yuck. Thankfully, it's pretty short.

The key of this piece is clearly C minor - `atonal` implies that it has no key, no tonal centre. I don`t think it`s shrill either - her voice is more alto than soprano - it never sounds that strained either to be considered shrill.

Yikes, this is what happens when a musician reads my quotes.  How's this instead -- it sucks.

Last edited by Sir Hillary Bray (21st Aug 2003 21:08)

Hilly...you old devil!

Sheryl Crow does a great job on TND.

In fact, the only two Bond themes that fall short of the majesty of the franchise are "License to Kill" (obvious "Goldfinger" rip-off) and "Die Another Day" (can't Madonna just die today?).

DAD is by far the worst of the Bond themes. No memorable hook and no chord progression to speak of. Crap.

I think the TND theme is OK. I prefer the 'surrender' theme from the end credits though.

ajb007/smile

I do! Its a brill theme although I like DAD

I used to hate the song, but now I like it a bit. Nothing compared to Surrender though, that wins hands down. My friend went to see the k.d. lang and Tony Bennett concert and they cried at the opening number (you guessed it, 'Surrender'). They used the classic scrim effect with the women dancing behind the screen casting their shadows. Definately a Bond song to remember. A trio of Tina Turner, Shirley Bassey and k.d. would be excellent. But yes, I did like the title song, but I rathered Surrender.
Oh, and the score was written when Surrender was the title song hence the heavy reference. I've never heard of the Die Another Day version though, is the song available to hear? Because I'm sure an announcement would have been made about it, as I read about Madonna writing it in the newspaper.

I like the theme.
Its got a kind of cacth to it. you feel like singing along.
but my favorite bond theme is live and let die! oh yeah!

Quoting Shaken_not_Stirred:

"Darling you've won, It's no fun, Martines, Girls, and Guns, It's murder on our love affair..."

It don't get any better then that folks!

I love that: Martinis, girls, and guns... It describes Bond so perfectly! ajb007/lol

TND theme...hated it! It was too blues-ish...I thought I was watching a Mike Hammer episode for a minute, there. It wasnt the style of song that worked. Nothing against Sheryl Crow...I like her.
I thought KD Lang's "Surrender" would have been better for the credit sequence; but not much better.

Yes, it's a great score, worthy of the special edition treatment. There's that great track as Bond exits Carvers newspaper printworks that sound superb taken from the SP/ED DVD.
But for my mind, the best soundtrack for num ber of quality tracks has to be LIVE AND LET DIE SP/ED

...one hundred caratsh rough!

i like the main theme but it reminds me a little of gene pitneys town without pity...richard branson also thought this when he reviewed the song on a childrens tv show...has anyone else played the tnd credit sequence to the surrender theme...the edits work better and are a lot more in sync...try it