Re: Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

I just saw AOTC on DVD. It was nice with all the special effects but I think they overdid it this time. The number of special effects put in makes it almost comical.

True, special effects are not what we want from legacies, I mean look what the CGI did for DAD! I watch things like The Matirx for special effects! Although I expect some effects, for things like lazers and shields, too mugh is never good!

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.

Has anyone in the UK seen Stargate SG1? I usually watch it over the weekends once I'm done with my homework.

Oh the only film/tv prog with the word "star" in its name that i like is star wars!

Hey is it too late to join this wayward thread?  ajb007/lol

First, Buffy ended for us here in the US several months ago.  I've been with the show since the start -- it's the only young people's show (apart from Angel) in the 90s that I got interested in.  Fabulous writing, acting, unjustly ignored at the Emmys.  The episode "Hush" and the episode where Buffy's mother dies is far, far better than the stuff that gets Emmy awards.  I adore Spike but my real favorite has always been Giles and I always felt that Joss underused the character.  I don't know why it's impossible for Joss to write a scene where Giles and Buffy hug each other.  I'll miss the show a lot, and look forward to the new season of Angel.

I watched Stargate faithfully until about two years ago.  I need to catch up -- great show. 

As to Star Wars, well, imo, the only ones worth watching are the first 3 tho the third is definitely the weakest, not my favorite.  Still, it's lightyears above the recent ones that Lucas has foisted on the public.  I find Phantom and AOTC absolutely unwatchable, except for that lightsaber duel between Darth Maul and Kenobi/Qui Gon in Phantom, and Yoda's cool duel in AOTC.  Paying $10 just for that, tho, is pretty abysmal.

The 90s had some great TV SF/fantasy - DS9, Stargate, Farscape, X Files, Buffy, I also liked the New Outer Limits' first few seasons.  But there's not much out there right now.

Quoting Jaelle:
Hey is it too late to join this wayward thread?  ajb007/lol

First, Buffy ended for us here in the US several months ago.  I've been with the show since the start -- it's the only young people's show (apart from Angel) in the 90s that I got interested in.  Fabulous writing, acting, unjustly ignored at the Emmys.  The episode "Hush" and the episode where Buffy's mother dies is far, far better than the stuff that gets Emmy awards.  I adore Spike but my real favorite has always been Giles and I always felt that Joss underused the character.  I don't know why it's impossible for Joss to write a scene where Giles and Buffy hug each other.  I'll miss the show a lot, and look forward to the new season of Angel.

I watched Stargate faithfully until about two years ago.  I need to catch up -- great show. 

As to Star Wars, well, imo, the only ones worth watching are the first 3 tho the third is definitely the weakest, not my favorite.  Still, it's lightyears above the recent ones that Lucas has foisted on the public.  I find Phantom and AOTC absolutely unwatchable, except for that lightsaber duel between Darth Maul and Kenobi/Qui Gon in Phantom, and Yoda's cool duel in AOTC.  Paying $10 just for that, tho, is pretty abysmal.

The 90s had some great TV SF/fantasy - DS9, Stargate, Farscape, X Files, Buffy, I also liked the New Outer Limits' first few seasons.  But there's not much out there right now.

Please do join! We need some life back in here. I was also saying in a much earlier post here that Giles is my favourite character, though I can't complain much about Sarah Michelle Gellar either ajb007/wink. The series was definetely entertaining, but I liked it best when the central characters were still in school and Giles was the librarian. My favourite Episode was back in Season 2 - 'Killed by Death' in which small children are being picked off by an invisible killer - quite chilling. I agree also on your point Jaelle that the acting was always superb. As for Angel, though I don't anymore - I used to find David Boreanaz annoying. I quite like him now but there is no point in watching a show that you have missed loads of!

Stargate - never really could get into the series though I tried a few times - and the film was excellent.

Again I agree that the first three Star Wars films wipe the floor with the latest two which are trying way too hard on the special effects. The duel between Yoda and Dooku (Christopher Lee!!) is always brilliant to watch but the rest isn't up to standard - even John Williams' score isn't as good as those classics made so long ago...

The series was definetely entertaining, but I liked it best when the central characters were still in school and Giles was the librarian. My favourite Episode was back in Season 2 - 'Killed by Death' in which small children are being picked off by an invisible killer - quite chilling. I agree also on your point Jaelle that the acting was always superb. [/quote]

I agree entirely, the best time for the series was when they were all still in high school and Giles was the librarian.  I loved the episodes with Jenny Calendar and Giles.  And the episode where we learn about Giles' old friend who calls him "Ripper" (I forget his character's name) ranks very highly among my favorites.  I LOVED that look into Giles' past.  For awhile there was talk of a show based in the UK just about Giles -- too bad it didn't take off.

That would have been excellent, a show specifically about Giles, though I can't imagine what it would be about. If ot were showing him in his younger days then they'd have to use another actor rather than Anthony Head. I can't see myself watching Giles unless it's Anthony Head.

I thought the Jenny Calendar episodes were entertaining aswell.

Oh yes definately the best episodes were the high school years!

You two have brought the thread back to life without me! Thanks!!

My faveourite episodes are all the ones where the world was ending, I absolutely adored the suspense in them! The ones I can pick out (which are obviously the best!) are the one where the prinicpal or someone turns into a huge snake, and the one where they finally defeated glory and Buffy committed suicide, I loved that bit! And the last episode, fantastic!

I think it was also better when they had one problem in every episode and it was found confronted and resolved in the same epsiode, like the ones with the invisible death, the dreams coming true (a master piece!) and the one with that living puppet, he was great!

And I agree that the acting was superb from start to finish, particularly Anthony Head, he played Giles so incredibly well! Nobody does it better!

I liked the episode when Buffy was a Guidance Counselor. Who thought our vampire slaying hero could be giving guidance to troubled teens?

I felt the last season, tho, had a lot of weaknesses.  All those potential slayers, the new girlfriend for Willow...the show seemed to meander a lot without any coherence.  And the First just never really impressed me as a Big Bad Evil the way the mayor or the big bad vampire at the hellmouth in the first couple of seasons did.  The First and Glory were the weakest villains.

But the last episode redeemed most of the weaknesses of the last season.  Great stuff!

About the Bond movies, my favorite is TWINE.  It has great action, excellent story, wonderful love scenes, and one of the most beautiful ladies on the Silver Screen, IMO (Sophie's picture is my personal photo, in case no one noticed ajb007/biggrin). What more could you ask for? ajb007/smile

IMO, there is no movie that competes with TWINE.  What are your opinions??? ajb007/smile

Last edited by The Sly Fox (25th Sep 2003 01:51)

100% the same as yours I have to confess! ajb007/biggrin

Quoting Jaelle:
I felt the last season, tho, had a lot of weaknesses.  All those potential slayers, the new girlfriend for Willow...the show seemed to meander a lot without any coherence.  And the First just never really impressed me as a Big Bad Evil the way the mayor or the big bad vampire at the hellmouth in the first couple of seasons did.  The First and Glory were the weakest villains.

But the last episode redeemed most of the weaknesses of the last season.  Great stuff!

Yes I disliked the way the show gradually turned into a soap opera through series five particularly. That series was awful, and really moved away from the action.

Six was better, because they had many episodes that hadn't a thing to do with the overall story, like Buffy working in the burger bar. Seven wasn't great - but as you said this was redeemed by the excellent final show.

I always looked forward to the finales at the end of each season, there was always a big final battle. Season one brought us a fight between Buffy and the Master. Season two was Buffy, Spike and Xander against Angel, Drusilla and a few henchmen. Season three was the huge fight in the school with Mayor Wilkins turning into some huge serpant. Season four was Buffy fighting the almost invincible cyborg Adam. You get the idea, but that was great stuff.

Last edited by General_Ourumov (25th Sep 2003 18:58)

Quoting The Sly Fox:
About the Bond movies, my favorite is TWINE.  It has great action, excellent story, wonderful love scenes, and one of the most beautiful ladies on the Silver Screen, IMO (Sophie's picture is my personal photo, in case no one noticed ajb007/biggrin). What more could you ask for? ajb007/smile

IMO, there is no movie that competes with TWINE.  What are your opinions??? ajb007/smile

Sophie is quite stunning in that film I agree...

Though I rank TWINE about 7th or 8th, so its very good.
My favourite Bond film will always remain GoldenEye for the plot, the villains and the action.

It's too bad I didn't see the last episode. From what you guys are saying, it seemed pretty good.

This doesn't have to do with the topic whatsoever, but General, I liked your old signature better.

Quoting tirpitz:
This doesn't have to do with the topic whatsoever, but General, I liked your old signature better.

I liked your old signature better too, General.

Of course it has to do with the topic its Jedi Master and GENERAL OURUMOV chat!!

I officially have 200 posts! I will also have been a member for over a month on the 28th!

Sorry to break with the topic but I just had to post this. Last night I saw 3 crazy british comedies on PBS. I hope someone here has heard of them, because they are very funny.

Goodnight Sweetheart: Tales of a time traveling bigamist

As Time Goes On: Judi Dench in a comedy with Geoffrey Palmer. I almost felt like I was watching M's home life!

Mr. Bean: A show about a walking disaster.

I hope someone has seen them.

goodnight sweatheart sounds familiar, what was it like. Old isnt it? No idea about as time goes on. And Mr Bean, he is perhaps one of the most famous actor comedians, Rowan Atkinson. Mr Bean is indeed hilarious! And he has been in lots of other things, like Rat Race, Jonny English, The Mr Bean films of course, can't think of anymore of the top of my head, but he is particularly good at accents. Rowan Atkinson is one of my favourite comedians, along side Jim Carrey, and Jim Davidson!

Quoting tirpitz:

You liked my old signature more? I can't even remember my old sig!

You mean the one in which I said about me not liking TND, and about GE and AVTAK?

Quoting Jedi Master:
goodnight sweatheart sounds familiar, what was it like. Old isnt it? No idea about as time goes on. And Mr Bean, he is perhaps one of the most famous actor comedians, Rowan Atkinson. Mr Bean is indeed hilarious! And he has been in lots of other things, like Rat Race, Jonny English, The Mr Bean films of course, can't think of anymore of the top of my head, but he is particularly good at accents. Rowan Atkinson is one of my favourite comedians, along side Jim Carrey, and Jim Davidson!

Actually Goodnight Sweetheart ran from 1993 to 1999, and it was quite popular. I believe at the height of it's popularity it had over 6 million viewers. I have seen all 14 Mr. Bean episodes and I am a Bean fanatic. He IS my favorite comedian and I even saw the Mr. Bean movie. Pity I didn't see him in Johnny English.

P.S. How do you like my new personal photo?

Quoting General_Ourumov:
You liked my old signature more? I can't even remember my old sig!

You mean the one in which I said about me not liking TND, and about GE and AVTAK?

Yes, that one, at least that was the one I was talking about anyway.

Quoting tirpitz:
P.S. How do you like my new personal photo?

I like it very much!

Last edited by The Sly Fox (28th Sep 2003 07:07)