Re: Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Well, the organ player (no, really!) was quite hot ....

Thunderpussy wrote:

Daily Mail: Medieval faeces reveals how diet changes since may have led to disease.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech … eases.html

Great to know you can get paid to study
And old sh1t.  ajb007/biggrin

I was scanning this thread to see if there was anything interesting and I misread it and thought it read: Medieval faces reveals how diet changes since may have led to disease.  ajb007/lol

Our movie watchalongs were great fun, but sadly they did not end on a high. I suggest we revive the "franchise" two more times and watch "The guns of Navarone" and "Where eagles dare" together. In my opinion the two movies are the military/war versions of James Bond and I know many of us love them. Besides, NTTD is pushed back again so we need some fun in our lives and in AJB in particular.
What we shouldn't do is to decide on a date and hope for the best. We have to find out how many members are interested and then find  a date when as many as possible can join. Who wants to do it?

I'm game. Either of those two is fine by me.

Me too.  ajb007/martini

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

I would be interested in both. Only problem with Where Eagles Dare, is I only have it recorded and that includes adverts  ajb007/frown

I need to get "Where eagles dare" at the library so I need  a few days of warning. The response so far has been nice, but let's wait a few days before we decide on a date.

Can't you just scale the library walls, retrieve the DVD, blow up the library, then exit via a cable car while spraying any disgruntled librarians with sub-machine gun bullets?

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Doing it old school? I'll do that, but we need to agree on viewing dates first because I need to return the DVD after a week.
I have an idea: Why don't we watch one of the film on election night? We probably won't know anything significant until the next morning and it's not unlikely we won't know the final result for weeks, so why not spend the night doing something positive and constrauctive?  ajb007/smile

Both the war films mentioned I watched first time only a couple of years ago or so. I was disappointed with both for several reasons.

Someone then told me I must watch them and not take anything in them seriously (a bit like Roger Moore James Bond films I suppose). It is advice I have taken on board, though I have not watched them since.

Any resemblance to real war in the two movies are completely accidental, that's part of the charm.  ajb007/biggrin

Number24 wrote:

Any resemblance to real war in the two movies are completely accidental, that's part of the charm.  ajb007/biggrin

I realise I must switch off my 'that could not happen!' way of thinking if I was to enjoy these films!

That's the spirit!  ajb007/biggrin

The A Team is the only realistic army programme  ajb007/tongue

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

For anyone, in the UK, interested in The Guns of Navarone and who doesn't own it, it is on Sky Cinema until Nov 30th.

I could do Where Eagles Dare. Anyone up for The Wild Geese?

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Surley you mean Henrik Ibsen's play "The wild duck"?  ajb007/biggrin

Joking aside, I think it's a good idea. It's available online here without dubbing, subtitles or (I think) ad breaks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0xy-Xd … e=emb_logo

Ibsen is far too heavy for me, but I do like listening to Grieg, though  ajb007/smile

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Joking aside, I'm relaunching my idea of watching one of the movies on the night of the US election. We won't get to know the final result that evening anyway, that comes days, weeks or even months later. Instead we can do something fun together that night  ajb007/smile

"Where eagles dare" is quote from the Bard, BTW.

The Wild Geese. Is that the film where the old men break out of the nursing home to do a commando mission in Africa?

I only saw a part of that once (and only watched it because Roger Moore was in it). Up to the part where they parachuted in to some pretend country.

Seeing as I did not watch any more, I must ask, did the care workers parachute in with them? Did they drop the wheelchairs and walking frames in as well? Did they take the blue disabled badge so they could park next to the target?

ajb007/lol

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol
The wild geese and The sea wolves are a great double bill  ajb007/martini  shows you what you can do
in your 60s  ajb007/tongue

ajb007/crap

I did watch the sea wolves and enjoyed it! Again I watched because of Roger Moore, but the old soldiers were supposed to be what they were - old soldiers!

Another favourite not Bond film of Roger Moore is 'Escape to Athena' (spelling?).

ajb007/cheers
Yes I love 'Escape to Athena', a light hearted adventure with a fantastic cast. Another but it might
be hard to find is FFolkes  also known as North sea Hijack,  Roger Moore as a grumpy old soldier
foiling a terrorist hijacking of three Oil rigs