Pussy Galore - Am the only one?

superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
Is it just me? I think that the Pussy Galore character has been too highly revered in Bond fandom. With all respect due to Honor Blackman as an individual and professional, she did nothing for me in the sex appeal department. To me, she came across like a gangster Moneypenny. For the mantle of Golfinger top-babe, I liked Jill Masterson a lot more although she was chiefly a sex object.
"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

Comments

• Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited August 2003
    I really like Honor Blackman.Long before we were regularly subjected to speeches by attractive young Bond Girls insisting that somehow they--and they alone--were James Bond's "equals",Honor came across as precisely that-while never once appearing embarrassed to be in a Bond film,or for playing a character with an extremely suggestive name.

I like her smirk and her cool attitude towards Sean Connery--as if to say:"Show me you're good enough for me."They have a terrific onscreen chemistry.She's not only beautiful,Honor's also an excellent actress.Granted,Honor Blackman's not a showgirl type like the lovely Shirley Eaton,but she's an English rose all the same.;)

W.G.
  • KhanKhan Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    Honor Blackman definitely has that delicious self-confidence that comes with being one of the most beautiful women on the planet during her era. Other than that I couldn't really add to what W.G. said, he said it all.
  • kmartkmart Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    Quoting superado:
    Is it just me? I think that the Pussy Galore character has been too highly revered in Bond fandom. With all respect due to Honor Blackman as an individual and professional, she did nothing for me in the sex appeal department. To me, she came across like a gangster Moneypenny. [\quote]

Gangster Moneypenny? That sounds like the best of both worlds!

Honestly, while I admit I thought Jill Masterson was hot back when I was 13, as an adult I've always thought Honor was top of the line for Bond femmes (Daniela Bianchi too, but Honor could actually SPEAK!) The fact she had a decently written part is a big advantage, but there is also tremendous chemistry between her and Connery, plus Blackman just plain out delivers the goods as an actress.

In terms of sexuality, she wasn't a Bond girl, she was a Bond WOMAN, which are a distinct minority ... I have a vague recollection of some low budget flick Blackman did nude scenes in during the 70s, and man, even near age 50, she looked tremendous to me! Actually, come to think of it, the fact there was a nude scene is all that I remember!
    "Achievement is it's own reward - pride obscures it."
    Major Garland Briggs, in TWIN PEAKS
  • JaelleJaelle Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    Quoting kmart:
    In terms of sexuality, she wasn't a Bond girl, she was a Bond WOMAN, which are a distinct minority ...

Pussy rules!
  • Doake18Doake18 Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    Quoting Jaelle:
    Quoting Jaelle:
    Quoting kmart:
    In terms of sexuality, she wasn't a Bond girl, she was a Bond WOMAN, which are a distinct minority ...

Pussy rules!

I second that notion. Haha...:007)
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited August 2003
    Well, in regard to all these posts, I have to concede (and this is a most appropriate time for one of today's popular expresssions) that Honor Blackman indeed "was all that."

And I second Jaelle's reply; what else do men live for? :)
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    I like her smirk and her cool attitude towards Sean Connery-- as if to say: "Show me you're good enough for me." W.G.

Couldn't have said it better... I LOVE that smirk! Easily Connery's best acting & chemistry partner in the series, their scenes together crackled with intelligence, wit and sex. She was indeed that rare breed, a Bond "woman". I agree there were more conventionally beautiful Bond women but few any better or more interesting.

MBE
    Quoting Doake18:
    Quoting Doake18:
    Quoting Jaelle:
    Quoting Doake18:
    Quoting Jaelle:
    Quoting kmart:

Pussy rules!

I second that notion. Haha...:007)

I was just waiting to see who the first guy was to reply with something like that! :)
  • TeeHeeTeeHee Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    So if pussy rules, does Dr. Goodhead indeed live up to her name? ;)
  • Doake18Doake18 Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    edited August 2003
    Quoting Jaelle:
    Quoting Jaelle:

I was just waiting to see who the first guy was to reply with something like that! :)

Glad to be of service. To be honest, I was waiting for someone to post it too, but I couldn't help myself...:)
    Well, you see, the name is one of the things that I have a hard time coming to grips with. Maybe this is the central source to my objection towards the character. I mean, it was a contradiction to Honor Blackman's characterization, and even to Ian Fleming's literary tomboy. It would have been fitting for someone like Sylvia Trench's character who literally offered herself to Bond like a buffet. In short, "Pussy Galore" ideally belongs to a lascivious vixen type, don't you think?
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited August 2003
    Quoting superado:
    Well, you see, the name is one of the things that I have a hard time coming to grips with. Maybe this is the central source to my objection towards the character. I mean, it was a contradiction to Honor Blackman's characterization, and even to Ian Fleming's literary tomboy. It would have been fitting for someone like Sylvia Trench's character who literally offered herself to Bond like a buffet. In short, "Pussy Galore" ideally belongs to a lascivious vixen type, don't you think?
    That's the beauty and irony of her name, she has so much to offer a man it's virtually "Pussy Galore". But unfortunately we (the men) are verboten! So it's sort of a teaser. I also liked the literary PG who calls Bond "handsome" but is more interested in Masterson (I like how she fawns and worships Pussy all wide eyed and naive)

For this guy, Pussy Galore is definitely that one Bond woman who rules them all. So until next time, make mine Pussy! :)
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    I guess now you see why she is so revered superado. Pussy is unforgettable, as she was quite ahead of her time. She is just as fascinating and enigmatic almost 40 years later, and she is still absolutely beautiful. She will always be my favorite.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    I really like Honor Blackman.Long before we were regularly subjected to speeches by attractive young Bond Girls insisting that somehow they--and they alone--were James Bond's "equals",
    W.G.

Off topic a bit, but doesn't it really p*ss you off when a Bond actress describes her character as being 'an equal with Bond'? I remember Michelle Yeoh saying this before TND came out. OK, it was a strong character, but Bond HAS to be the star and HAS to appear in some way superior to his co star. This isn't a sexist thing, I would say the same about a Lara Croft movie (for example). There is a reason that they are called BOND films.

Back to Pussy..Honor Blackman is a Bond WOMAN, Jill Masterton was a Bond girl. I think there's a difference.
  • Ali TaitAli Tait Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Superado, I totally agree with you. Pussy Galor did not really 'do it' for me either.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited August 2003
    Quoting words:
    Off topic a bit, but doesn't it really p*ss you off when a Bond actress describes her character as being 'an equal with Bond'?
    All the time!!! Michelle Yeoh I can understand, as she was a strong character, but Jinx - no. The classic example was that inflatable Denise Richards "Bond has met his match with me". Aye right, luv, your character would meet her match trying to work an ATM machine...

But anyway, on the subject, Pussy rules!!! She was a strong, confident, witty and highly intelligent and well skilled woman. She didn't have to run around in a bikini or pout to exude sexiness and class and she will always be one of my favourite Bond women. That aside, Honor Blackman's attitude to the part is exemplary - making sure she emphasised "Pussy Galore" during US radio interviews back then and being more than happy to share her memories of the part. She was a woman of the nineties in 1964 and stands as the proof that early Bond women were not "bimbos".
    unitedkingdom.png
    Quoting words:
    Quoting words:
    Quoting Willie Garvin:
    I really like Honor Blackman.Long before we were regularly subjected to speeches by attractive young Bond Girls insisting that somehow they--and they alone--were James Bond's "equals",
    W.G.

Off topic a bit, but doesn't it really p*ss you off when a Bond actress describes her character as being 'an equal with Bond'? I remember Michelle Yeoh saying this before TND came out. OK, it was a strong character, but Bond HAS to be the star and HAS to appear in some way superior to his co star. This isn't a sexist thing, I would say the same about a Lara Croft movie (for example). There is a reason that they are called BOND films.

I tell you what I'm tired of: hearing every actress say she's going to be different from the other Bond girls/women/females. Enuf already!
    Quoting words:
    Back to Pussy..Honor Blackman is a Bond WOMAN, Jill Masterton was a Bond girl. I think there's a difference.

Great distinction there. I think it's very much a matter of the actress. Blackman just *oozes* intelligence, class and depth on the screen. Nothing against Eaton but she just came off as a dime-a-dozen model.
    edited August 2003
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    Pussy rules!!! She was a strong, confident, witty and highly intelligent and well skilled woman. She didn't have to run around in a bikini or pout to exude sexiness and class and she will always be one of my favourite Bond women. That aside, Honor Blackman's attitude to the part is exemplary - making sure she emphasised "Pussy Galore" during US radio interviews back then and being more than happy to share her memories of the part. She was a woman of the nineties in 1964 and stands as the proof that early Bond women were not "bimbos".
    Well said...and you know, besides Pussy's grace, majesty, and power, she also has most excellent cleavage! :v

(shallow Alex signing off)
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    My biggest pet peeve, whenever a writer or interviewer (I won't call them journalists) states all the previous Bond girls are nothing more than objectified sex toys and airheaded bimbos they inevitably bring up the character Pussy Galore to prove their point. All that shows of course is that they've never really seen Goldfinger!

MBE
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited August 2003
    Quoting MBE_:
    My biggest pet peeve, whenever a writer or interviewer (I won't call them journalists) states all the previous Bond girls are nothing more than objectified sex toys and airheaded bimbos they inevitably bring up the character Pussy Galore to prove their point. All that shows of course is that they've never really seen Goldfinger!

MBE

Absolutely right...Nor would these "reporters" willingly see a Bond film--any Bond film in order to research the topic at hand.From their point of view they don't need to.After all,everyone knowsthose Bond movies are all alike anyway--they're much too violent and they're always degrading to women.;) :))

That's why this current Bond Girl--Whatzername--will rewrite Bond movie history and strike a blow for women everywhere by being the first actress to play a character who's James Bond's equal.Sex object?Oh no!Those bikinis she wears are actually crucial to the movie's storyline and always in the best possible taste.So is her Playboy pictorial. ;)

W.G.
    Well, that answers my question so far, I am indeed the only one. I do think that Honor Blackman is pretty and she has very nice curves. She indeed is all woman, but to me more along the likes of Katherine Hepburn or Kate Mulgrew (but that's just an issue of preference on my part). Tracy is another example of being "all woman," except to me she exuded large, welcome doses of femininity.

I still think that the irony of her name would have better worked if she was a vamp who flaunts but is ultimately unattainable to the (general) male populace, like some tease from Greek mythology. A sidenote here is how Fleming wrote in egocentric chauvanism into the Bond role who on her own accord suddenly became attractive to Pussy Galore, who on her own accord "switched teams" unlike in the movie in which Bond forced himself on her. To the detriment of rewriting Fleming, the character should have her last name changed to "Emmasculateur."
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I personally do not find Honor Blackman to have any sex appeal in GF, although she has aged extremely well and is a beautiful woman today.

But aside from that, Pussy Galore is an overall weakness in the film, and this comes from someone who has almost nothing bad to say about GF. Most troubling to me is the ridiculous ease with which Bond can toss her around the hay barn, jump on top of her and convince her to abandon her loyalty to Goldfinger and the riches she would gain from Operation Grand Slam. If you're going to present a woman as no pushover, you have to make Bond work harder to make her see his side of things.

I wonder if without her suggestive name the character would garner nearly as much attention as she has.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited August 2003
    Quoting Sir Hillary Bray:
    Most troubling to me is the ridiculous ease with which Bond can toss her around the hay barn, jump on top of her and convince her to abandon her loyalty to Goldfinger and the riches she would gain from Operation Grand Slam.

Also, let's not forget her sexual preference as the movie implied. This issue of the Bond magic was carried directly from the novel. Wow, I wonder if James Bond's sexual magnetism and prowess can "cure" any lesbian and set her straight.
    edited August 2003
    Most troubling to me is the ridiculous ease with which Bond can toss her around the hay barn,
    Ease? she looked like she could handle her own end pretty well to me.
    jump on top of her and convince her to abandon her loyalty to Goldfinger and the riches she would gain from Operation Grand Slam.
    He merely planted a seed of doubt. I'd like to think Galore couldn't come to grips with murdering hundreds of soldiers. The "how they'd know" million dollar question was a suprise for everyone. when she switches allegiance later on in the film Bond himself was suprised.
    If you're going to present a woman as no pushover, you have to make Bond work harder to make her see his side of things..
    Who says he wasn't working hard? The camera didn't show us everything that went on. I'd like to think Bond put in for overtime. :)
    Quoting Alex:

Who says he wasn't working hard? The camera didn't show us everything that went on. I'd like to think Bond put in for overtime. :)

He made her live up to her name. :))
  • micsnmicsn Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Quoting superado:
    To me, she came across like a gangster Moneypenny.
    in the goldfinger novel, shes a gangster.

but i dont think shes as amazing as shes made out to be.

:)
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Is it just me? I think that the Pussy Galore character has been too highly revered in Bond fandom. With all respect due to Honor Blackman as an individual and professional, she did nothing for me in the sex appeal department. To me, she came across like a gangster Moneypenny. For the mantle of Golfinger top-babe, I liked Jill Masterson a lot more although she was chiefly a sex object.

Superado -- that is an appalling observation (Mods -- we need a smiley that feigns schock).

What are you afraid of anyway? And that's what this is about, isn't it? -- fear. You know Pussy Galore could hurt you. You sense her power and it fills you with anxiety. Better play if safe and go for the little blond Masterson girl. She's not likely to pin you helpless in the haystack.

;) Just having a little fun, Supe. PG is my favorite (even above Ursula) and I love Honor Blackman. She's a Bond woman, not a Bond girl. I always thought she'd be perfect for Bond.
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Here's a shock smiley highhopes... :o

I too am surprised that some people don't love Pussy. No pun intended. :v It's funny when you come across one of your own posts from years ago. I don't even remember replying to this back in 2003, but I still feel the same. She's one of my favorites, and to me is definitely in the top 5 of most memorable.
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    That's a great pic of Bond btw Superado.

Pussy Galore was an odd woman for me. The DVD is on the shelf and I would have to put the movie on to say exactly which scene of hers worked and which didn't for me. But I remember at times finding her to be a woman of exceptional beauty and refinments and then a scene or two later she would appear as being nothing more than very ordinary to me.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    I don't think that Honor Blackman was the sexiest woman to appear in a Bond film (that honour IMO would probably go to Diana Rigg) but I do think that Pussy was fantastic. It's not merely because of her name but rather her whole persona. She was great looking (and indeed very sexy), tough, intelligent, deadly and most importantly, she was a W :xMAN. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman