Re: The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

he is the ninth doctor ( which means that Richard E Grant in Scream of the Shalka doesn't count).McGann definitely does and is the eighth
incarnation.
Rose Tyler may be played by Lucy Speed or Susan Earl but I suspect the Doctor will get his first non caucasian companion.

The new Doctor!

[img=http://www.shillpages.com/dw/ecclec01.jpg]

Lucy Speed?  As in Nat-uh-lie from EastEnders?  Blimey...

I would've liked to have seen Julia Sawalha get her chance (she was going to be the replacement for Ace, way back when).  Sadly, her work as sidekick to a magical weirdo on Jonathan Creek probably rules her out.  If there's going to be a darker Doctor, a lighter companion would be good - Lucy Davies from The Office perhaps, or Natalie Casey from Two Pints of Lager... (terrible show, but she's got a fantastic comic sense about her).  Dare I even mention the words Patsy Palmer?

Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart

Quoting jetsetwilly:
Dare I even mention the words P**** P*****?

No ... now go away and don't darken our door again!!

ajb007/lol ajb007/wink

precisely what I was going to say!
The perfect choice would have been Victoria Shalet but she has already said no

According the Daily Mail the other day,Billie Piper is in the frame.

Quoting jetsetwilly:
Bad news about the companion however: rumours have it that Billie Piper is hotly tipped...

That's becoming hotter and hotter...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen … 576629.stm

http://media.open2.net/flags/unitedkingdom.png

Here is sad news regarding the reported death of Anthony Ainley. Bond fans may remember him as one of the Hong Kong policemen that discover the "dead" body of Bond in the pre-title sequence of You Only Live Twice. Dr Who fans will remember him as The Master. May he rest in peace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/new … 0973.shtml

Master actor reportedly passes away.

Several sources are reporting the death of Anthony Ainley, best known to Doctor Who fans for his portrayal of the Master during the 1980's.

Anthony joined the series in 1981, following such actors as Roger Delgado, Peter Pratt and Geoffrey Beevers in the role of the Doctor's arch nemesis.

He portrayed the character with six Doctor's - Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, plus Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee in the 20th anniversary special, The Five Doctor's.

Anthony Ainley was born in London in 1932, and first appeared on film at the age of five. Trained at RADA, Ainley featured in such films as You Only Live Twice and Oh! What a Lovely War. His other TV roles included parts in Elizabeth R, Upstairs Downstairs and Nicholas Nickleby.

Aside from acting, Ainley was a keen cricketer, playing for the London Theatres Cricket Club team.

Anthony Ainley was very much a private man who handled his own business affairs, making the story hard to verify. Following an obituary published in today's edition of The Independent newspaper, Doctor Who Magazine checked with their sources and believe the news to be correct.

I hope this news isn't correct. . .I always enjoyed Ainley's take on The Master (really, he was the true heir to Roger Delgado--the other two actors mentioned played dessicated versions of the character), and his appearances were always a real pleasure.  Sad loss, if it's true.

Vox clamantis in deserto

Here is an extract from an article at the BBC's website announcing Billie Piper as the Doctor's new assistant Rose Tyler in the forthcoming series.

Billie Piper is Doctor Who helper

Former pop singer Billie Piper is to play Doctor Who's new sidekick when the cult BBC sci-fi show returns next year.

She (Piper) said: "Doctor Who is an iconic show and I am absolutely thrilled to be playing the part of Rose Tyler."

"I am also looking forward to working with Christopher Eccleston and writer Russell T Davies."

Executive producer/writer, Russell T Davies, added: "The Doctor's companion is one of the most important and cherished roles in the history of TV drama."

"I'm delighted that someone of Billie's talent is coming on board the Tardis, to travel through time and space."

For the full article click on the link below.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen … 743753.stm

Mmmmmm....  Not sure if I like the sound of this.  However, I've not seen her act and I'm prepared to separate her former pop attempts and the image of Chris Evans from her go at this.  After all, she is in the Calcium Kid with Orlando Bloom, is she not?  Has anyone seen it?  ajb007/confused 

I'm not going to judge her before I watch the first few episodes.

Agreed: she's firmly in the "could've been worse" category, rather than "yes!!!".  And one of my mates put the fear of God into me this morning - he pointed out that the last time the Doctor had a actress/singer as a companion, it was Bonnie bloody Langford...:o

@merseytart

Quoting jetsetwilly:
Bonnie bloody Langford...:o

Everytime I hear that name I hear the screeching bars from the theme to Psycho  ajb007/amazed

Quoting Moonraker 5:
Mmmmmm....  Not sure if I like the sound of this.  However, I've not seen her act and I'm prepared to separate her former pop attempts and the image of Chris Evans from her go at this.  After all, she is in the Calcium Kid with Orlando Bloom, is she not?  Has anyone seen it?  ajb007/confused 

I'm not going to judge her before I watch the first few episodes.

Billie Piper appeared in The Miller's Tale along with James Nesbitt and Dennis Waterman. It was a part of the BBC's Canterbury Tales series which was broadcast at the end of last year. Considering her lack of experience I thought that Billie Piper was pretty darn good. Regarding her forthcoming appearance as Rose Tyler in Doctor Who. Like you, I won't judge her until I have seen the first couple of episodes. 

In the meantime, you can see a short preview clip (Real Player) from The Miller's Tale featuring Billy Piper by clicking on the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/canterburytales/ep … ndex.shtml
Then click on preview clip.

The BBC have failed to agree editorial control of the Daleks with the late Terry Nation's estate, who own the property rights to the Daleks.  So they won't be returning in the new series.

No Daleks in Doctor Who's return

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen … 859651.stm

The BBC has confirmed the Daleks will not appear in its new Doctor Who series after a failure to agree terms.
Talks between the BBC and the estate of late sci-fi writer Terry Nation, who created the Daleks, broke down over issues of editorial control.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "After lengthy negotiations, the BBC and Terry Nation have been unable to reach an agreement on the terms of the use of the Daleks."

The Terry Nation estate said it was "bitterly disappointed".

The metal monsters were voted TV's most evil villains in a poll last year.

Fans had hoped to see the Daleks' return in the series, scheduled for release on BBC One in early 2005, but feared copyright issues might stand in the way.

The BBC spokeswoman said: "The BBC offered the very best deal possible but ultimately we were not able to give the level of editorial influence that the Terry Nation estate wished to have."

But an agent for the Nation estate accused the BBC of ignoring copyright laws and said the corporation was trying to "ruin the brand of the Daleks".

Agent Tim Hancock, who represents the Nation estate, said: "We wanted the same level of control over the Daleks that we have enjoyed for the last 40 years.

"If the BBC wanted to re-make any of George Lucas' films, you can bet George Lucas would have something to say about it. "

Mr Hancock accused the BBC of lying about the reasons a deal had not been made.

He said the BBC had tried to commission a cartoon series about gay Daleks for BBC Three.

He also said the corporation had allowed Warner Bros to use the Daleks in the recent movie Loony Tunes without consulting the Terry Nation estate.

"We want to protect the integrity of the brand," he said.

Mr Hancock said the estate would be willing to make a new deal if the BBC accepted the arrangement that had been in place for the last 40 years.

Writer Russell T Davies said he was "disappointed" by the decision but it would not affect the success of the series.

He said: "We are reinventing Doctor Who for a 21st Century audience with a fantastic writing team and exciting new challenges.

"We are disappointed that the Daleks will not be included but we have a number of new and exciting monsters.

"And I can confirm we have created a new enemy for the Doctor which will keep viewers on the edge of their seats."

As Doctor Who's sworn enemies, the Daleks were voted the most evil villains on television in a vote by more than 3,000 GMTV viewers in 2003.

Christopher Eccleston, star of films like Shallow Grave and The Others, has been confirmed as the new Doctor Who.

Former pop star Billie Piper has been chosen to play his sidekick Rose Tyler.

First, I have to say I didn't realize Terry Nation had gone off to the Great Beyond--sad news.

Second, it's distressing to find out the new Doctor won't be battling the Daleks.  Gads--that's like Batman not having the Joker to battle!

Third. . .gay Daleks?!  I just don't see it.  "You. . .will. . .be. . .ex-ter-mi-nated!  But. . .first, Doctor. . .where. . .did. . .you. . .get. . .that. . .fabulous. . .scarf?  And. . .we. . .must. . .do. . .something. . .about. . .these. . .exo-shells. . .they. . .just. . .make. . .our. . .butts. . .look. . .so. . .big!"

Vox clamantis in deserto

Quoting Hardyboy:
Third. . .gay Daleks?!  I just don't see it.  "You. . .will. . .be. . .ex-ter-mi-nated!  But. . .first, Doctor. . .where. . .did. . .you. . .get. . .that. . .fabulous. . .scarf?  And. . .we. . .must. . .do. . .something. . .about. . .these. . .exo-shells. . .they. . .just. . .make. . .our. . .butts. . .look. . .so. . .big!"

ajb007/lol  LMAO!!  Thing is, I can just see it!  If you've ever seen impressionist John Culshaw on Dead Ringers as the 4th Doctor, Tom Baker, taking on the Daleks and Cybermen in The Weakest Link, or doing Wife Swap with a Cyberwoman it's all too real...

Last edited by Moonraker 5 (2nd Jul 2004 19:36)

I've a lot of nostalgia for them but I can't imagine the Daleks being a particularly credible or terrifying enemy for the new Doctor.  They've been merchandised and parodied for so long that the threat isn't there anymore. 'Genesis' was the last truly memorable Dalek story and, even then, producer Philip Hinchcliffe and script editor Robert Holmes (who gave us the classic early Tom Baker episodes) were reluctant to make it as they felt just about everything you could do with the Daleks had been done.
  My wish would be to have some of the second string bad guys, like the Sea Devils for instance, brought back using modern make-up and effects techniques.

Last edited by Roebuck (3rd Jul 2004 18:06)

Quoting Roebuck:
I've a lot of nostalgia for them but I can't imagine the Daleks being a particularly credible or terrifying enemy for the new Doctor.

I agree.I do think they should be kept in our memories as a brilliantly terrifying bunch of robots.To make them credible now would mean changes them amd I would rather they were left alone and the Doctor has some new enemies to fight.

It will be a very different programme then previous ones because of the developments with special effects and 'wonderful' CGI.Hope they keep the essence of the Doctor though and plenty of hammy acting.

The new series of Doctor Who has begun filming in Cardiff, which will double for London in the first episode.  It looks likely that the rumours of shop mannequins coming to life is actually the case...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3913205.stm

First secrets from new Doctor Who

The new series of Doctor Who will start in an ordinary-looking department store that turns out to be far more sinister, it has emerged.

Speaking on the first day of filming, executive producer Russell T Davies disclosed most of the show will be shot in Cardiff, which will also stand in as London.

Starring Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper, the cult series will arrive on TV screens next year.

The show had ended in 1989 after 26 years.

Most details about the latest incarnation of the timelord and his Tardis are being closely guarded, but it has now emerged that the first scene is being filmed in the department store Howells in Cardiff.

"It is a very exciting scene in the very first three minutes of episode one," said Mr Davies.

"An ordinary department store turns out to be something far more sinister, and that's all I can give away."

Mr Davies, who also wrote Channel 4's Queer as Folk, said that although information about the series would get out, he wanted to keep most of it secret.

"I hate watching stuff when I know what is going to happen.

"I hope millions will be sitting down and watch a brand new series of Doctor Who as a surprise."

The writer also explained how different parts of Cardiff would feature in the show.

"We are going to shoot 95% of the series in Cardiff.

"We are going to use Cardiff as London, we are going to use Cardiff as Cardiff.

"And we are going to be here representing 1860s, and all sorts of different periods throughout history and the future."

Of course, that means Eccleston and Piper will be spending a lot of time in south Wales over the following months.

"When I was told I would have to spend eight months of my life in Wales, I was actually quite excited because I used to come here as a child on holiday," said Piper.

"We used to come here in our caravan, so I am happy to be back."

She has been spending her spare time catching up on the old adventures of the doctor, although she said she was trying not to be pressured by the role's past.

"We are trying to create something new with the essence of the old Doctor Whos - times have moved on and so have we."

The Doctor himself tried to explain what kept the show's enduring appeal alive.

"It's an escape, it's a romp," said Eccleston.

"It's the mystery of the doctor and the mystery of the relationship between the doctor and his companion."

Last edited by Moonraker 5 (23rd Jul 2004 23:25)

Hmmm. . .I recall that the first adventure of Jon Pertwee's Doctor featured mannequins that came to life.  Is this a tribute?  A remake?  A continuation?  Time will tell. . .

Vox clamantis in deserto

Quoting Hardyboy:
Hmmm. . .I recall that the first adventure of Jon Pertwee's Doctor featured mannequins that came to life.  Is this a tribute?  A remake?  A continuation?  Time will tell. . .

The rumour regarding the mennequins did quote "a recurring enemy" ...

Apparently it is the Autons (the killer shop dummies) who are making a comeback.

It's strange; I wouldn't call myself a Whovian by any means, but I'm extremely excited about this new series!  I can't wait for it to start again!

@merseytart

Quoting jetsetwilly:
It's strange; I wouldn't call myself a Whovian by any means, but I'm extremely excited about this new series!  I can't wait for it to start again!

Same here - I watched the Peter Davidson Doctor as a kid, and a bit of the Colin Baker series, but other than that I've rarely watched any of them, yet I'm really looking forward to this new series!

Quoting FROSTY:
I watched the show regularly, from about 1976 - 1984,
but then Colin Baker clashed with THE A-TEAM - so I barely saw any of him! ajb007/lol (didn't like him much anyway!).

Me Too!! The A Team won in our house as well!
But then Dirk Benedict was much better looking than Colin baker ajb007/smile

Iam looking forward to the new series very much and I think Billie Piper will be quite good.

Does anybody know what the things were called that were giant maggots?? I hated those.Think they were fron the Jon Pertwee era.One of my scary childhood memories!!!!