Re: The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Hardyboy wrote:

Just saw it, and I enjoyed it. . .I like the way the first Doctor is still in the early 1960s, with his un-PC ideas and words, and a tear came to my eye when the WWI Brits and Krauts began singing carols.  As for the first female Doctor, I'll give her a chance.  I gave a certain Daniel Craig one, and I'm happy about that!

I thought the constant un-PC remarks was ridiculous.  The First Doctor never behaved like that with the constant wittering about Polly doing the dusting and hoovering.  Yet another pandering and twisting of characters to make an unwarranted point.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Thunderpussy wrote:

I too am happy to give her a chance, but Capaldi is a hard act to follow.

I never really took to Capaldi at all...Smith was a very hard act to follow and the episodes Capaldi had were poor, imo. There were moments of good stuff, but that was all. Ironically I thought this last episode was probably his best.

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

This image is NOT P.C. but bearing in mind the TARDIS did gob her out at the end of the episode!  ajb007/biggrin

https://s17.postimg.cc/xvavjhcpn/fullsizeoutput_4bf.jpg

I never thought they'd get anyone as good as
David Tennant. Then up pops Matt Smith, who
Quickly became my favourite  of the modern Doctors.

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

I've been watching Doctor Who since the early 1980s (Tom Baker on my local PBS station).

I personally have no problem with a female Doctor. I haven't seen Jodie Whitaker in anything, so I am reserving judgement on her performance and her accent.

As for showrunner Chris Chibnall, I have reservations based on his previous writings in the DW universe.

finally got caught up.

I shall be sad to see Capaldi go, more than ready to see Moffat go.
I'm not worried about who the next Doctor shall be, all twelve actors so far have been memorable. I'm confident Jodie Whittaker will be strange and funny and unique, in her turn. I'm more worried about who this next showrunner is. Based on the problems with recent seasons, that's the more crucial issue.

Anybody got any opinions on Chris Chibnall? I've never seen Torchwood, but Wikipedia shows he wrote several regular Doctor Who episodes over the years ... and none of them are ones that stuck in my mind. Whereas Moffat did write some of the most unforgettable shows during Davies' run, every one of them remained stamped in my brain years after, and based on that record I had much higher expectations of him than what we actually got once he was in charge fulltime.
Has Chibnall indicated any change in direction once he takes over? has anybody within the Doctor Who organisation ever said out loud that the shows no longer make sense and nobody cares about the characters anymore, and that maybe another approach is needed? or will Chibnall follow the same bad storytelling habits?

Also, plotwise, gotta question about Capaldi's last episode.
Has it been established that when different incarnations meet, they somehow forget? There's been so many of these episodes starting with the Three Doctors (1973), yet...

Spoilerin this new episode, we see the First Doctor prepared to die, at the end of The Tenth Planet, seemingly unaware that he is destined to successfully regenerate. Should he not at the very least remember meeting "the clown" and "the dandy" in the Three Doctors? and several more such meetings over the years?

actually, any such memory would spoil the surprise of the regeneration episodes, wouldn't it? he is always surprised to see his new face and learn his new personality traits, that would never work if he remembered meeting his future selves. Yet I don't remember any in-story discussion that time-travelling past selves as a rule cannot remember meeting their future selves.
For that matter, how come one incarnation of The Doctor never meets his own exact self in a time-travelling mixup? why is it only ever past selves?

Not so much Dr Who but its sister series Torchwood is back on bbc radio 4. ( radio player ) with some 45 min plays.  ajb007/martini  I was a fan of the Torchwood tv series.

Last edited by Thunderpussy (2nd May 2018 16:57)

I watched season 1 of Broadchurch, as several had recommended it up above as something Jodie Whittaker had done. This is very good in and of itself and I highly recommend it.
Turn out there are several Doctor Who connections aside from the Thirteenth Doctor

so if this is the basic plot setup of Twin Peaks without any of the surrealism or laughs, Jodie Whitaker is playing the Grace Zabriskie/Sarah Palmer role, and she is very good as the grieving mother whose world is torn apart. There is a sequence in the second episode where she goes out in public for the first time after her child's body is discovered, that is exceptionally well played. I understand the actors were allowed to improvise a lot of their performances aside from the dialog, and this is a largely silent sequence that that is an actors showcase. She is good.
Not much relevant to how she would play a silly eccentric alien Timelord however, so we will still have to wait and see.

Tenth Doctor David Tennant plays the senior detective, the outsider in the community. He demonstrates some major acting chops never seen in Doctor Who. I guess this show is just more of an actor's showcase.
And Arthur Carvill, Rory from the Eleventh Doctor's tenure, plays the local priest.

Most relevant actually is Chris Chibnall who wrote the whole story and produced it. I had feared up above the next showrunner for Doctor Who would continue the inhumane and too-clever storytelling we had seen for the six seasons of Moffat's reign. Well this show is all about the characters, lots of humanity, contrasted with the remorseless logic of detective work. We get to know and like a large cast of specifically drawn characters and watch their lives shattered by the police procedure needed to find the killer. Like the rational ideal of Sherlock Holmes is in reality a type of cruel vivisection done unto the survivors. (Whittaker at one point says "I don't want to know" and scolds one of the detectives, her best friend, "is this what you do for a job?")
So if Chibnall's Doctor Who contains even a fraction of the character work this series does, it will be a major change in direction, back to the Russell Davies days if not further. Hope he remembers to include some scifi amongst all the actorly showcases.
(to show my preferences, my favourite season of the new Who was the one with Catherine Tate)

Olivia Coleman, who plays the junior detective who has lived all her life in the community, I think has no Doctor Who connections but we all know her from The Night Manager. She delivers the heaviest performance of all here, her reaction shot to the revelation of the killer's identity is just incredible.

SpoilerI'd woof my cookies too

caractacus potts wrote:

Olivia Coleman, who plays the junior detective who has lived all her life in the community, I think has no Doctor Who connections...

Olivia is in the Doctor Who story The Eleventh Hour from 2010  ajb007/martini

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Season One also has David Bradley, who played the First Doctor in the most recent episode of Dr Who.

emtiem wrote:

Season One also has David Bradley, who played the First Doctor in the most recent episode of Dr Who.

ah, I didn't recognise him. He was very good in Broadchurch. His was one of the more disturbing plotthreads in a series full of disturbing plotthreads.
I suppose Torchwood, which I've never seen, would be more of an indication as to how Chibnall will do Doctor Who. But I did think this Broadchurch was a very impressive show, and it convinced me Doctor Who could be taking a very positive course correction once he takes over.

From the online discussion I've seen, the next season was not nearly so good, but really the story was resolved so completely in the last episode there shouldn't be anywhere left to go. There are a lot of things that are said in the first seven episodes that come back with a very nasty irony once the killer is identified. It is just such a perfectly symmetrical and efficiently designed plot-machine designed to deliver that final blow.

Spoilerone example I just thought of, three days later: Coleman's character is in a vastly worse place when that episode closes than Tennants was when the story began … and this after all the negative judgements all, including Coleman, have been imposing upon Tennant. If he was "the Worst Cop in Britain", what does that make her?

I don't think the concept could be nearly so powerful continued as a more conventional ongoing police procedural.

Just a reminder that the good Doctor returns tonight  ajb007/martini

Well.  Not really

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

That was sh*te!  ajb007/insane  They've even fooked up the theme music!  ajb007/mad

ajb007/crap yep, I said I'd give it a chance, but felt like
Switching off half way through. Very disappointed.

I thought it was good, hopefully will get better.
Definitely the storytelling was more coherent than the last six years of Moffat's Doctors.

But much less zany, and I already miss the striking images that Moffat was really good at (Tennant spotting the clockwork clown's feet under the little girl's bed way way back during the Girl in the Fireplace was the specific shot that made me a fan of the new Doctor Who for me once and for all).

Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith's first episodes all stick in my mind years later though. They each started with a bang. I cant remember Capaldi's for some reason, but Whittaker's debut is rather lowkey compared to the other 20th century Doctors.
Hopefully the new series picks up energy.

Episode 2: That was also sh*te!  ajb007/insane They've even fooked up the theme music & the inside of the Tardis!!  ajb007/mad

And tonight's Silly Moo in a Police Box had the potential to be something special but no it was an environmental message about the horrors of land fills!  ajb007/mad  ajb007/mad  ajb007/mad

This just gets worse. I think the BBC should refund our TV license fees and change the title to Dr Excrement!  ajb007/mad

I gave up with the second episode   ajb007/lol  and began watching
Some of the older series on the BBC i_player.

That's what happens when you let a woman take over things.  ajb007/tongue

"The tough man of the world. The secret agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Thunderpussy wrote:

A very wise decision Mr TP. It's just so bloody awful ....Can't wait for the Christmas Special ...Cyberpersons & PC Daleks!  ajb007/crap

Silhouette Man wrote:

That's what happens when you let a woman take over things.  ajb007/tongue

It’s odd...I actually think Jodie is doing a decent job as the Doctor, I just find the episodes a bit ‘preachy’  ajb007/crap

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

She reminds me of Bubble from Absolutely  fabulous   ajb007/lol
That's all I can think of when watching.

ppw3o6r wrote:
Thunderpussy wrote:

A very wise decision Mr TP. It's just so bloody awful ....Can't wait for the Christmas Special ...Cyberpersons & PC Daleks!  ajb007/crap

There is no Christmas episode this year.  Chibnall actually said he’d run out of ideas for an Xmas special

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/11/ … _Dvlg3Vaus

Last edited by Asp9mm (5th Nov 2018 07:17)