Re: The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Asp9mm wrote:
ppw3o6r wrote:
Thunderpussy wrote:

I gave up with the second episode   ajb007/lol  and began watching
Some of the older series on the BBC i_player.

A very wise decision Mr TP. It's just so bloody awful ....Can't wait for the Christmas Special ...Cyberpersons & PC Daleks!  ajb007/crap

There is no Christmas episode this year.  Chibnall actually said he’d run out of ideas for an Xmas special

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/11/ … _Dvlg3Vaus

That article explains a great deal, run out of ideas. First episode, a Predator lands on Earth to hunt humans & takes souvenirs/body parts from the fallen ...where did that storyline come from? This weeks mess a creature eats a bomb, it explodes & smiles afterwards ....all it was missing was a/the Mask!  ajb007/insane
Personally this Donkey does not feel like he is watching Dr Who, regardless of gender. It's just a run of the mill sci-fi show & apart from Colin Davidson & most Capaldi, DW was never a run of the mill sci-fi show! (although the later McCoy storylines & creatures sucked ass!)

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018 … y-be-back/
A question from the Radio Times, why do all the latest villains
From the new Dr Who, ....... just wander off ?

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

Sir Miles wrote:
Silhouette Man wrote:

That's what happens when you let a woman take over things.  ajb007/tongue

It’s odd...I actually think Jodie is doing a decent job as the Doctor, I just find the episodes a bit ‘preachy’  ajb007/crap

Very much in agreement, Sir Miles. . .I feel like every episode is patting itself on the back.

Vox clamantis in deserto

Hardyboy wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:
Silhouette Man wrote:

That's what happens when you let a woman take over things.  ajb007/tongue

It’s odd...I actually think Jodie is doing a decent job as the Doctor, I just find the episodes a bit ‘preachy’  ajb007/crap

Very much in agreement, Sir Miles. . .I feel like every episode is patting itself on the back.

Being as common as a dung beetle, they're just crap! It's political correctness gone mad & we the viewing public don't need that on Dr Who ...thank you  ajb007/mad

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7 … -pc-plots/
Dr Who, ratings  plunge !

I still have 3 episodes on my DVR to watch. Not particularly interested in doing so.

I don't think Chibnall is a good science fiction writer.  If the current season doesn't improve I may start missing the "subtlety" of The Happiness Patrol from the McCoy Era.

I miss the days of social satire written by Robert Holmes.

The story lines are crap, easily written on the back of a beer mat when pissed up......don't get me started on the female doctor....I'm old school and I can't believe he's now a she, a Time Lord into a Time Lady......not for me I'm afraid.

FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, GF, SF, TLD,  LTK, TND,  FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK.

"Do you expect me to talk?  "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"

ppw3o6r wrote:

And tonight's Silly Moo in a Police Box had the potential to be something special but no it was an environmental message about the horrors of land fills!

I must point out that the Third Doctor's adventures often had an environmental message, typically when silly humans drilled too close to the centre of the earth, and that his companion Jo Grant exited the show when she fell in love with an environmental activist. Some of that was because Pertwee was the earthbound Doctor, so the monster-of-the-week had to come from somewhere closer. But I think it was also the times: pollution, overpopulation, and species loss were all starting to become big news in the early 70s. And Dr Who was always intended to be an educational show.

But I would agree these new shows lack any subtlety, seeming to assume nobody in the audience has considered the costs of a landfill before. Also, the Alec Baldwin look-alike character in that episode was a very onedimensional stereotype, equating American businessman with pollution and guns. As if the Industrial Revolution had been invented in the USA not Britain. I assume this character is meant to be a recurring villain?

I think one very big problem is too many companions. They are really cluttering up the show. For an all-new Doctor, they should have just given us one companion, to ask lots of questions of our new Doctor and allow the shows star to reveal her personality. Then maybe after a season, once we've got to know the new Doctor and her one companion, then add a couple of hanger-on to complicate the dynamic.

Also its just visually very dull. I now officially miss Moffatt's striking images.

Well Auntie Beeb has truly surpassed herself. Tonight's Silly Moo in a Police Box episode was perhaps the biggest crock of sh1t this Donkey has ever seen. The only Indian thing it was lacking was a song and dance routine at the end however some Indian chap? with a bad case of piles did wail the DW theme music at the end! Why is this Donkey even bothering to watch this excrement?  ajb007/mad

Watched around five minutes of it tonight as I
Surfed the channels, ...... Quickly moved on.
No Christmas special, and a change of time,
After the change of day of broadcast ?  Doesn't
Sound like a huge success.  ajb007/lol  could be another
Top Gear fiasco for the BBC.

Hmmmm ....Amazon workers? mindless robots? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  ajb007/mad

I can't even be bothered with a constructive comment apart from Chis Chibnal sucks ass!  ajb007/mad  & clearly Alan Cummings' King James wanted to too!  ajb007/insane
One thing though, the BBC are clearly listening to & acting upon the public's comments because this episode was about sentient sh*te!  ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by ppw3o6r (26th Nov 2018 15:45)

I see episode 11 "It takes you away" (The Christmas special, I think) is set in a cabin in the Norwegian fjords. The quality is obviously going up  ajb007/biggrin
I find it strange that Dr Who finds this strange: "A cottage in the winter. With a chimney, but no smoke". All cottages have chimnies, first of all. Outside of Easter and weekends people normally don't stay in their cottages, In fact I would only find no smoke a bit strange durning Easter. How on Earth can the Doctor not know about the most important thing in the universe, Norwegian cottages?  ajb007/confused

Because it’s not the real Doctor.  It’s some weird faux-Doctor.  There is no Christmas special this year.  People have got better things to do than watch this mess at Christmas.  Even the BBC realise no one is going to watch it on that day and need to air something half way decent.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

I've just watched the first episode of season 11 and I think the Jodi Whitaker seems like a good doctor. Of course I didn't see a single Doctor Who episode until I was fourthy and I have only seen the "modern" doctors. Just like Star Trek and Star Wars isn't a part of my childhood, Doctor Who is just another fun TV series to me. I understand it's different for many others.

I'm a life long Dr Who fan, I have many of the classic
Episodes on DVD  and have given up on the new Dr. ajb007/crap
It may please some but it's not for me.

If only it was possible for people to like different TV series without starting wars over it  ajb007/crap     ajb007/tongue

Next they'll be making a politically  correct, The Flashing Blade !  ajb007/wink
https://youtu.be/7KYWOFo6SFM

And today we have flesh eating moths & an alternate universe which is a sentient talking frog! Sh*te! Sh*te! Sh*te & not to mention Sh*te!  ajb007/mad

Now I've seen  "Rosa" and "it takes you away". "Rose is the first one I didn't like. Rosa Park and the civil rights movment were real hearoes and I don't mind that theme. But Dr Who has to be fun, exiting and scary and this episode wasn't it. Having Your heart in the right place isn't enough to make good entertainment.

The episode "It takes you away" was pretty good. After listening to the "Norwegian" girl talking I'm willing to make a bet: The person who decided on that accent is a "Vikings" fan and knows no real Norwegians ajb007/lol
Speaking of unconvincing Norwegian - "Dårlig Ulv" mentioned in the "Doomsday" episode in series one,  I think they wanted the words for Bad Wolf in the "evil wolf" sense. That would be "Ond/stygg Ulv", but "Dårlig Ulv"means "lousy/not good wolf".  ajb007/lol

I love Jodie Whiticar as The Doctor, classic case of right actress at the right time.
The writing does veer between twee and simplistic, but Ms Whitickar and Co are getting better material than Mr Cappaldi did. (The way he was underused was criminal!)

Rosa worked for me. Yes Dr Who is usually fund, but both the Origial series and the continuarion have had very Serious and sad stories too. The first one about Rose Tyler's Dad and the last one to feature Donna Noble weren't a barrel of laughs. Nor was rhe one with John Simm's Master enslaving The Doctor.

No 24 don't worry. They never get Scottish accents right either! The only episode that has done so was the one featuring Pauline Collins as Queen Victoria. (Not counting Mr McCoy, Tennant and Capaldi of course!)

The only thing I disliked about the Norway house, is they keep dragging back Graham's wife. This is a very old and tired Sci Fi trope. The sad fact is when we loose people, we loose them. Regurgitating them in front of our characters breaks the illusion.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

The streaming service BritBox is showing loads of classic
Dr Who episodes  from Boxing day. It's free for the first
Month,  so an easy way to re-acquaint  yourself with this
Television icon.
I've recently bought all the new who box sets on Amazon
And goigle play, at bargain prices at the moment.

Thunderpussy wrote:

I've recently bought all the new who box sets on Amazon .

Are the boxes bigger on the inside?  ajb007/biggrin

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

Seeing some recent posts on this thread today (albeit about classic Who) isn’t it quite telling how long it’s been since the last post before these? ajb007/crap

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

It's only one perception of Time  ajb007/wink