Re: The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Doctor Who has never been a programme I'm interested in (not a fan of sci-fi stuff) but apparently the New Year's Day special is called Dr Who Meets Bond and has a bit of a Bond theme, so I think I'll give it a go.

I'm enjoying watching the classic Dr Who episodes on Britbox  ajb007/cheers  so many memories
from my childhood, great to see Jon Pertwee again, after all these years.

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

Spyfall part two ? ..... bloody awful  !  ajb007/crap

I was visiting my dad (almost 89) last week, and he came across one of the Whitaker episodes.  Dad has never been in any way, shape, or form a Whovian--having been raised on "hard" science fiction from Asimov, Clarke, et. al., "Who" has always been juvenile to him--but he had a great observation: "The show seems to have lost its sense of humor."

Vox clamantis in deserto

So this season is no better.

Weakest Master, Doctor, and companions. Weakest plots and Tardis design. Poorest humour.

The only thing this iteration has going for it is the way its shot looks better.

That's it. New showrunner please.

I'm so disappointed  in the new Master, his  introduction  in
Pt 1 was great. Then with pt2 he turned into a whining
Teenager !

Who is playing the Master? I’ve not seen these episodes yet but not concerned about spoilers, not much to spoil really is there?

Frankly I’m struggling to get through her first season so far and I’m continually amazed in the overall dip in quality of the series...

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

According  to reports this will be Jodie's last series as
The Doctor is to return to being Male. A name has been
Mentioned as the next Dr.

Thunderpussy wrote:

A name has been
Mentioned as the next Dr.

Who  ajb007/lol

It's a shame Jodie didn't succeed, as I think she's a very good actor, but the material (on the whole) and the way the character has been presented has let her, and the show, down.  A darker tone like Eccleston's (with some good humor) would have been far better, rather than the silly, often vacant Jodie.

I'm one who has given up on the show, but I watched this weeks episode due to hype.
In my opinion it was better that many of Jodie's adventures, as they basically got rid of the companions, cut down on the virtue singling speeches, and I enjoyed Jo Martin's " character " perhaps if she'd been cast instead of Jodie, I'd still be watching.  ajb007/biggrin

I haven't seen all of Jodie's episodes, but of the ones I've seen "Rosa" is the one that delivers the message in the most heavy-handed way. There's nothing wrong with good intentions, but in Doctor Who messages has to be delivered in a fun way.

I've been calling the show "Dr. Woke."

Vox clamantis in deserto

I bet no-one gets tired of you saying that... ajb007/wink

I think Moffat and Gattis like big changes and big messages too much. At first I liked Sherlock better than Elementary, but not any more. In Sherlock the story has to be about blowing up Parliament, Elementary is still content solving a clever murder.

Number24 wrote:

I think Moffat and Gattis like big changes and big messages too much. At first I liked Sherlock better than Elementary, but not any more. In Sherlock the story has to be about blowing up Parliament, Elementary is still content solving a clever murder.

They haven't worked on it for two years.

I haven't really watched it in about two years, so that makes sense,

I'm enjoying reliving the Jon Pertwee years, what an action hero he was  ajb007/martini

New years day 2019 is the last time I watched anything PERIOD on the BBC and that was that goddam awful abortion of an alleged Dalek story. Previous to this I watched Top Gear under Clarkson which got completely bolloxed under Evans and Doctor Who under Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman....also bolloxed without that Dynamic Duo!
The BBC used to stand for quality programming or so the Donkey thought. It's as if they have given up trying to compete with Netflix or Amazon etc or even trying to justify extorting the license fee out of the set upon public. Remember we used to pay the BBC for the analogue signal which was turned off so what the hell are we paying them for now??  ajb007/frown

I've Just moved on to the Tom Baker years  ajb007/martini

ppw3o6r wrote:

New years day 2019 is the last time I watched anything PERIOD on the BBC and that was that goddam awful abortion of an alleged Dalek story. Previous to this I watched Top Gear under Clarkson which got completely bolloxed under Evans and Doctor Who under Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman....also bolloxed without that Dynamic Duo!
The BBC used to stand for quality programming or so the Donkey thought. It's as if they have given up trying to compete with Netflix or Amazon etc or even trying to justify extorting the license fee out of the set upon public. Remember we used to pay the BBC for the analogue signal which was turned off so what the hell are we paying them for now??  ajb007/frown

Nine national TV stations, regional TV, one online TV channel, Sports coverage, the largest broadcasting news-gathering operation in the world, weather, a large website, iPlayer, BBC Sounds, 10 national radio stations, 40 local radio stations, one worldwide radio station and six orchestras. For 42p a day. You never paid them just for the analogue signal, no.
Netflix has got The Irishman and some truly dreadful films. Great.

If you haven't watched it in a year then how would you know if you're missing anything or that they've 'given up'?

Last edited by emtiem (30th Jan 2020 22:45)

Thunderpussy, did you really watch all the Third Doctor episodes over the last month?
That's a lotta episodes!
As I remember, Pertwee had longer serials, too, I think his first season was all 7 episode stories, which makes it harder to cherrypick just the essentials.

Any observations for us? Any favourite Pertwee stories you'd recommend?

I think the Brigadier is the only companion who witnesses the regeneration twice!

In my case the BBC offers possibly the best international news coverage and some of the best TV series.  ajb007/smile

caractacus potts wrote:

I think the Brigadier is the only companion who witnesses the regeneration twice!

He only actually sees it happen once with his own eyes, but he meets a few incarnations: he's probably the one who meets the most until Clara and River are on the scene.

Hi, caractacus potts. I watched several full stories each night six parts to each. Some I'd already
seen as I have a few adventures on DVD.  Even took in many of the Patrick  Troughton stories.
With Jon Pertwee I have a great affection for some of these shows. The Green Death, scared the
poo out of me as a kid " Giant Maggots", Invasion of the dinosaurs despite the dated special effects
I love the story. I do tend to jump around as I've already watched several episodes of the other
Doctors,  even the " New Who " finished the Christopher Eccleston era and have watched a couple
of the David Tennant shows.
At the moment DR who is all I watch after work etc.  On The BBC, I think they will become a
subscription service as the license fee seems an out dated concept, everything I watch is on some
subscription service or other. I watch little to none of the terrestrial TV.

Are you watching on Britbox?

Agreed about Invasion of the Dinosaurs: I tend to think that might be his best story.