Thunderball/ Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Hugo DraxHugo Drax Leeds, United Kingdom.Posts: 210MI6 Agent
A feature on the Thunderball DVD allows you to watch the title sequence with Dionne Warwick's version of Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

After watching I think this song is much better than Tom Jones' tune, which is not without its merits though. Ms Warwick's song is much more complementary to the title sequence.

What do others think about this point?

Comments

• MagicalMeMagicalMe Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    I have the DVD but I didn't know about this... How do you do it?
  • Hugo DraxHugo Drax Leeds, United Kingdom.Posts: 210MI6 Agent
    Quoting MagicalMe:
    I have the DVD but I didn't know about this... How do you do it?

It might depend upon which version of the DVD you have but try the following. Go to the Special Features section of the DVD and choose to watch the film with the second commentary, which includes contributions by Peter Hunt and others.

In this mode the title sequence should play with the Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang song.
  • MagicalMeMagicalMe Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Wow, thankyou so much!
  • ilove pierceilove pierce Posts: 224MI6 Agent
    Ill have to try that HD, i havent explored the whole DVD yet so that'll be great! i watched the documentary on it and they sang a part of it, sounds a lil weird, but its got a bit of a kick to it.
  • Ice Station 0Ice Station 0 Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    When I first heard Dionne's version I almost laughed out loud, I found it to be really odd. Then I heard Shirley Bassey's take on the song and I much preferred her version however, I think the right decsion was made to go with a new song with Tom Jones. His reply to to the song's title was, "What's a Thunderball?" One can only guess!
  • Alan_moreAlan_more UKPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    Hugo Drax wrote:
    After watching I think this song is much better than Tom Jones' tune, which is not without its merits though. Ms Warwick's song is much more complementary to the title sequence.
    What do others think about this point?

Would you believe we had to wait until the 30th Anniversary collector CD to listen to that song?

The answer is no: Three single versions were released between 1965 and 1966 sung by 1) Buddy Greco 2) Ann Margret 3) Alan Corb.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Alan_more wrote:
    Alan Corb.

Aber das ist eine Deutsche liede... :p
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Anyone know of a site where the Bassey version of MKKBB can be found?
    Ignore my previous post. I just found it :) :)
    So tell us your thoughts on Shirley's version.
    I just found it on the Thunderball dvd. The song does grow on you but I was glad to have been familiar with it since they use parts of the theme song throughout the movie. Particularly when Bond and Felix are looking for the downed Vulcan bomber. It was cool seeing how the opening was originally intended to be.
    edited April 2006
    So tell us your thoughts on Shirley's version.

Well, I like both versions of MKKBB. I guess Dionne Warwick's version has a slight edge. I like Bassey's other Bond themes, but her performance of MKKBB wasn't as good IMO. I can't put my finger on what I didn't like, it just didn't ring right with me.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff
    The Cat wrote:
    Aber das ist eine Deutsche liede... :p

Und ist das ein problem? :D

(PS "ein deutsches Lied" ist besser :)) )
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    DAS Lied? Oh mein Gott... :p
    Having replayed the two songs over and over again, Dionne wins. There's a lot more interesting background sounds that are not in Shirley's redition. It's too bad, it would have made a great theme song for Thunderball.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    I am of the school that belives every Bond movie deserves its own title song, so for me Thunderball is the best choice. But as supporting music, KKBB is perfect, well used throughout the movie. I prefer Dionne Warwick's version to the Shirley Bassey effort.
  • BrakeBrake Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    A 1966 Japanese 45 rpm release of the title song "Thunderball" as well as "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" was released. It indicates that the artist was Tom Jones. Actually, Bang Bang was performed by The Movietones. This was the first
    release of the song version of "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" that was directly connected to Bond
    (to the best of my knowledge).
    My question to anyone out there. Is there a version of "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" sung by Tom Jones?
    Risico
    Not as far as I know.
  • Alan_moreAlan_more UKPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    Brake wrote:
    A 1966 Japanese 45 rpm release... performed by The Movietones. This was the first
    release of the song version of "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" that was directly connected to Bond (to the best of my knowledge).

To our knowledge, the first ever released version of the MKKBB song was by Buddy Greco (Columbia DB 7790) in 1965.
    RJJB wrote:
    I am of the school that belives every Bond movie deserves its own title song, so for me Thunderball is the best choice.

How do you feel about "An All Time High" (Low, in my opinion) instead of using Octopussy in the title song?
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    My dad believes that OP should've been called "All Time High" rather. I have a difficult time disagreeing with him on that. I don't get why the movie is named after the Bond girl, other than it's a Fleming title. And if I'm not mistaken, the title of that has nothing to do with the Bond girl.

I'll need to take The Cat's advice on watching the titles of TND while listening to "Surrender."

As for KKBB, I still have difficulty getting my mind around the notion that it was Dionne Warwick that sang it. I first knew of her hawking the Psychic Friends Network, and she had a voice comparable to Macy Gray.
  • Hunter HarryHunter Harry Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Can someone link me to Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (the version found on the Ultimate Edition DVD)? I don't want to download, just listen.
  • KissyLoverKissyLover AustraliaPosts: 139MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    Aber das ist eine Deutsche liede...
    Babel wrote:
    Und ist das ein problem?
    (PS "ein deutsches Lied" ist besser )
    The Cat wrote:

Hmmmm....you two are a little crackers, aren't you! :s :))

As for the original question.

I was pleasently suprised when I found this feature on the DVD and while I like Dionne Warwick's (one of my fav. singers btw :x) "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" I think they did made the correct choice going with Tom and "Thunderball" .... it has more of that grab you by the throat feel I think and the lovely, sleazy brass in the intro..;)
    edited November 2006
    KissyLover wrote:
    The Cat wrote:
    Aber das ist eine Deutsche liede...
    Babel wrote:
    Und ist das ein problem?
    (PS "ein deutsches Lied" ist besser )
    The Cat wrote:

Hmmmm....you two are a little crackers, aren't you! :s :))

:)) A little crackers? KissyLover, we're both stone mad!
    You should hear some of the totally trivial titbits of title-tattle (sic) concerning Bond music we've discussed/disputed/dissected/displayed/dismissed, although often not in the forums.