Connery's Head

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
Here is a link to photos of a bust of Connery that I privately commissioned. When finished it will be part of a lifesize mannequin, replete with flesh color, painted hair, and glass eyes. The artist is extremely talented. Tell me what you think.

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=372683861105&page=1&sort_order=0

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Very impressive.Your friend is remarkably talented.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Wow! Looks great. A young Connery.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    When I read this topic title I thought you were about to take out a contract on Sir Sean, Donald. Anyway--wow! That's terrific work. If you don't mind my asking, how much are you paying for this? And--err--what will you use the mannequin for? :))
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Once again I get the ofoto error page -so I can't see the pictures DG! :(
  • justvisitingjustvisiting Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    Can he make for me a model of Maud Adams!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    That looks really good DG. Perhaps you would keep us informed of it's progress ?
    YNWA 97
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    I don't realy want to say how much this cost, but it was not cheap. The mannequin will be put in my study with the rest of my Bond collection. My copy will be made out of resin reinforced with fiberglass. It's one of those items I've wanted for a long time. I'll keep you all posted.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    Terrific work, though reminds me of one of the creepier things I've ever seen on ebay: Couple of years back, a seller listed a lifesize, poseable Connery with a pliable rubber head, real hair, glass eyes, etc. It wasn't necessarily a great likeness, but it definitely looked alive.
  • GyrojetGyrojet Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    While we re on the subject of large busts(fnarr fnarr)what does everyone think of the 1/4 scale Connery being released by Sideshow?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Quoting Gyrojet:
    While we re on the subject of large busts(fnarr fnarr)what does everyone think of the 1/4 scale Connery being released by Sideshow?

Hey there Gyrojet! As you know from the other board we're both on (it was you who pointed me there, thanks!), I'm pretty excited. I did suggest for an accessory an extra pistol, the Walther LP53 used in the FRWL publicity pics; Sideshow responded that it was considered but it was an either or decision and the PPK won out. I also commented how the head looks too big for the body, to which they have not commented on yet.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Quoting Donald Grant:
    Here is a link to photos of a bust of Connery that I privately commissioned. When finished it will be part of a lifesize mannequin, replete with flesh color, painted hair, and glass eyes. The artist is extremely talented. Tell me what you think.

DG

DG, that is a great project! Again, this convinces me that fans think alike. For years, I've toyed with the idea of doing this myself, and using for a basis one of the cheaply available lifemasks of Connery while he was young to compensate for my artistic limitations. I then thought about a separate arm "materializing" from the body like the bust portion (connected separately on the same base), with hands made out of rubber that can grasp either a PPK or LP53 (alternate these regularly of course) against the statue's cheek. Then, portions of a used tuxedo from eBay would complete the effect. To really go cheap and to make it easily displayable as a wall ornament, I even thought of making just the front half of the head.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Quoting Donald Grant:

DG

I'd love to see the image of this bust, and for the life of me can not work out why every time I go on that link I get the ofoto error page.

Does anyone out there have any idea why? :(
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    If anyone is interested in a casting of the Connery bust, please PM or Email me.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Akbar SharAkbar Shar LondonPosts: 58MI6 Agent
    My compliments to the artist, it's a great job.
    Would it be possible to see the eyes though?
    ...one hundred caratsh rough!
    Maybe it's my computer, but I can't see any of the images--not even the orignal ones I was able to view originally. Anyone else have this trouble?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    I can't see them either I keep getting errors from ofoto.

If you want to send me some sico@ajb007.co.uk I can put them up for you on here.
    Simon
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Maybe it's my computer, but I can't see any of the images--not even the orignal ones I was able to view originally. Anyone else have this trouble?

No Hardyboy, I can still see all the images.
    YNWA 97
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Quoting Hardyboy:

No Hardyboy, I can still see all the images.
    For some reason I have always had this trouble!

I still haven't seen this work of art -and it's really frustrating! :#
    I know it does not work for me either. Let me try again.

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=855067381105&page=1&sort_order=0

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Well,

It works for now. It's far from finished according to the sculptor, but let me know who wants one.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Still nothing. But in terms of getting one. . .well, how much are you asking?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    If you all Email or PM me I'll provide you with pictures as well as price.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    Here are the images:

connery-front.jpgconnery-right.jpgIt looks pretty good if you ask me.
    Simon
    Wow excellent -at last I can see it! :)Just have to count my pennies. :)
  • SeansGalSeansGal Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    And--err--what will you use the mannequin for? :))

heh heh I guess I'm naughty... but I would
    be very tempted to act out some scenes with it!!
    I'd be the Bond girl, natch. :x
    . . .Too much information, SeansGal! :o
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • SeansGalSeansGal Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    sorry about that, Hardyboy. I'll try to contain
    myself in the future.
    Some of you have expressed an interest in the price of this item and I have responded privately to your querries. If you compare the price I have given for this 1/1 scale bust and compare the price to what Sideshow Toy is asking for their
    1/4 scale Connery figure, you'll realize what a bargain the full size bust is.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg