Re: Last film seen...

So, we watched DRACULA (1979) with Frank Langella, Donald Pleasance, and some guy named Larry Olivier.

It was pretty good!  It wasn't great but it was a different take on the Dracula story and everyone seemed pretty game for it.  The production design was excellent and quite lush, making for a rather compelling 'world' for this film to inhabit.  Langella as Dracula was a real charmer.  He had a different kind of presence from the other Draculas that I've seen and it worked for me. 

There are some dated special effects in here (the use of lasers in some scenes is really quite iffy) and the makeup never really works, but it was overall engaging and fun.  Really nice John Williams score, too.

Shout Factory has this on blu ray in both the original theatrical color timing and in the director's preferred de-saturated color timing.  We watched the original version and buzzed through the de-saturated for a quick comparison.  Both versions work but I think I prefer the full color version of the original theatrical release.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>GE>OP>DN>FYEO>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

I saw that version in the cinema on its release, and didn't like it very much. Olivier was clearly doing it for the money, though Langella wasn't bad.
Small point of interest- it was the first Dracula movie made by Universal since the Bela Lugosi days.

Thunderpussy wrote:

A little note on the great Christopher Lee, I recently read that he said he only got
the role of Frankenstein's Monster because his agent charged a  ajb007/amazed little less than
Bernard Bresslaw's agent !  and that lead to Dracula ........  ajb007/wink

https://i.postimg.cc/F7cLCWLw/89720378-carry-on-camping-rank.jpg
Here with Sid James.

What a waste of great talent it would have been, if Christopher Lee had ended up in the Carry On series and Bernard Bresslaw had played Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, The Mummy, etc. Come to think of it, Bresslaw might have played Scaramanga!!!  ajb007/amazed

What a Carry on, ... that would have been.  ajb007/wink  Acting is at times a case
of Luck,  one role leading to another.  Apparently Lee was blackmailed
in to doing some of the Dracula films, as although he wasn't happy with
some scripts etc. He was told without his name attached to it, it wouldn't
get made and all the technicians, crew and other actors would be out of
work, so he did them !
   In a recent YouTube documentary on the Hammer films, they showed two
scripts. One from Peter Cushing, which only had the odd note here and there
to change a word or two, and one from Christopher Lee, which had Notes all
over it, and replacement lines inserted.

Barbel wrote:

I saw that version in the cinema on its release, and didn't like it very much. Olivier was clearly doing it for the money, though Langella wasn't bad.
Small point of interest- it was the first Dracula movie made by Universal since the Bela Lugosi days.

To his credit, Olivier didn't phone it in.  He did a good job and was convincing in his role.

That said, the best Dracula movie that year was LOVE AT FIRST BITE.  That's a fun one and still holds up nicely.

Current rankings:

Totally disagree- Olivier couldn't have been less interested!

Thunderpussy wrote:

In a recent YouTube documentary on the Hammer films, they showed two
scripts. One from Peter Cushing, which only had the odd note here and there
to change a word or two, and one from Christopher Lee, which had Notes all
over it, and replacement lines inserted.

I'd like to see that one, TP, could you please give a link?

I think this is the one, it's in two parts.

https://youtu.be/KCX1j5YZkls

https://youtu.be/s1KScQ67XnY

In fact this channel has lots of Hammer stuff

Barbel wrote:

I respectfully disagree.  If he was disinterested, he didn't show it or sabotage the film.  Then again, he was a pro.

The only role of his where he looked like he was phoning it in was as Zeus in CLASH OF THE TITANS.  He seemed more bemused than anything else.

Current rankings:

Thunderpussy wrote:

I think this is the one, it's in two parts.

https://youtu.be/KCX1j5YZkls

https://youtu.be/s1KScQ67XnY

In fact this channel has lots of Hammer stuff

Many thanks, will get watching that soon.

Here is a link to the history of Hammer's
Frankenstein  films. In part two  they show
A script from Peter Cushing's first, which
Is full of notes and ideas, as he was
Establishing  the character.

https://youtu.be/HQ3_pCar7E4

https://youtu.be/0gjljnk2gBY

Gymkata wrote:
Barbel wrote:

I respectfully disagree.  If he was disinterested, he didn't show it or sabotage the film.  Then again, he was a pro.

The only role of his where he looked like he was phoning it in was as Zeus in CLASH OF THE TITANS.  He seemed more bemused than anything else.

You obviously haven’t seen The Betsy  ajb007/lol

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Thunderpussy wrote:

Here is a link to the history of Hammer's
Frankenstein  films. In part two  they show
A script from Peter Cushing's first, which
Is full of notes and ideas, as he was
Establishing  the character.

https://youtu.be/HQ3_pCar7E4

https://youtu.be/0gjljnk2gBY

Thanks TP this looks interesting.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Thanks TP.

Just watched " The House that dripped Blood "  1971, on YouTube.

An all star cast  with Cushing and Lee, Jon Pertwee  etc.  The usual selection of short
stories all connected to a creepy old house.  One funny part was with Jon Pertwee playing
a Horror actor listing all the great horror actors, Like Bela Lugosi as Dracula, ......" Not that
new chap ! "
ajb007/wink  I'm guessing that was a Christopher lee Joke.

Solo : A Star Wars Story.

Not as bad as I was expecting, given all the negative reviews I had read.
Sure Alden Ehrenreich is NO Harrison Ford, but .... I thought it was fun.
I'm working my way through the Star Wars movies, next up will be
Rogue One and then the original three Films.

Duck Soup, the five-star classic Marx Brothers comedy.

Failed to elicit a titter from me.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

[Edited by Barbel]

Farewell, Mr booond. Please do not attempt re-entry.

Wow, you call back in after a short absence and McBarbel is still swinging his Claymore!
Anyway, I watched The Hobbit, The Battle of the Five Armies yesterday. I've read the book... ajb007/lol . A lot as I have all of Tolkiens works, but as much as I enjoyed it, it wasn't a patch on the LOTR trilogy and that wasn't a patch on the Books. It was over long and somewhat procrastinated to the point that it felt bloated. Billy Connolly was a nice touch as the bad tempered dwarf, but a touch underused in such a long film. My boy enjoyed it and it kept him quiet for 3 hours which makes it 10/10.  ajb007/lol

It was either that.....or the priesthood

We watched HANNA (2011) over the weekend.  Solid little action/thriller/spy movie with Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, and Cate Blanchett.  It's extremely well acted by everyone and is nice and tense where it needs to be.  It contains some very solid action beats in it with a particularly long 'single take' fight sequence in it featuring Eric Bana.

It's another one of those 'better than the premise would suggest' kind of films.

Current rankings:

Agreed, the fight in the underground ( car-park I think ) is fantastic.  ajb007/cheers

Chriscoop wrote:

Wow, you call back in after a short absence and McBarbel is still swinging his Claymore!
Anyway, I watched The Hobbit, The Battle of the Five Armies yesterday. I've read the book... ajb007/lol . A lot as I have all of Tolkiens works, but as much as I enjoyed it, it wasn't a patch on the LOTR trilogy and that wasn't a patch on the Books. It was over long and somewhat procrastinated to the point that it felt bloated. Billy Connolly was a nice touch as the bad tempered dwarf, but a touch underused in such a long film. My boy enjoyed it and it kept him quiet for 3 hours which makes it 10/10.  ajb007/lol

Nice to see you back, Chriscoop. I agree with your thoughts on the 3rd Hobbit movie- maybe 30 minutes material stretched to 3 hours.

Barbel wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:

Nice to see you back, Chriscoop. I agree with your thoughts on the 3rd Hobbit movie- maybe 30 minutes material stretched to 3 hours.

Thank you Barbel  ajb007/martini it's good to be back and see things haven't changed much.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Hi Chriscoop. I too wasn't impressed by the Hobbit movies. Three movies was an bridge too far, two would have worked better. The Hobbit movies lacked the magic of LotR. There was too much CGI and not enough character and plot.