Re: Last film seen...

Just watched Beyond Borders starring Angelina Jolie and Clive Owen. It's directed by Martin Campbell and is well worth watching. Clive Owen is very good in it also -much better than his performance in King Arthur.

Finally got to see SpiderMan 2 - what a great film. Can't wait for the third one now.

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

I watched The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three last night. Very good. It was some inspiration for Tarantino when he did Reservior Dogs. Robert Shaw is fantastic. Go see.

Frantic - Polanski & Harrison Ford.

Really good, and with a bitter-sweet ending that was quite moving.

---
jfm

PS. How bleeding hard must it be to find the original version of Blade Runner? Am I the only one to hate the director's cut?

Just bought a flick from the "Saucy Cinema" collection but haven't sat down to watch it yet. Online reviews were terrible but as a fan of "bad movies" that didn't throw me off from buying it.

So it's a Bond parody entitled Zena One with practically a who's who of British actors. Carry On man Charles Hawtrey, the babular Yute Stensgaard from Hammer's Lust For A Vampire and our very own Valerie Leon to name but a few of the numerous starlets. The man's called "James Word", an obvious Bond parody. All in all it looks like a soft core sexploitation piece of trash circa, 1969.

Can't wait to get home and watch it. ajb007/biggrin

Quoting Alex:
Just bought a flick from the "Saucy Cinema" collection but haven't sat down to watch it yet. Online reviews were terrible but as a fan of "bad movies" that didn't throw me off from buying it.

So it's a Bond parody entitled Zena One with practically a who's who of British actors. Carry On man Charles Hawtrey, the babular Yute Stensgaard from Hammer's Lust For A Vampire and our very own Valerie Leon to name but a few of the numerous starlets. The man's called "James Word", an obvious Bond parody. All in all it looks like a soft core sexploitation piece of trash circa, 1969.

Can't wait to get home and watch it. ajb007/biggrin

I love bad movies too. I want to get the DVD series, "Soul Cinema," from MGM. Its of blaxploitation flicks.

Paycheck and Big Fish, fell asleep watching Big Fish -probably just too tired.

Quoting scaramanga1:
Paycheck and Big Fish, fell asleep watching Big Fish -probably just too tired.

I've seen both of those. Paycheck is perfect for mindless entertainment from John Woo, master of the Hong Kong action flciks, and have Ben Affleck and Uma Thurman ajb007/heart

Big Fish was pretty good, IMO. Shows the relationship between father and son, and that relationship far apart because of the father's tall tales.

Watched Tommy last night - a fantastic rock opera !

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Raiders Of The Lost Art last night. Nice the way the Beeb let the credits roll in real time rather than truncated it.

Also appreciate the sly, subtle wit. However, never totally got the hang of this film I must admit, and the main villain seemed a bit nondescript, like the lead singer of The Flaming Lips and as threatening.

Karen Allen was great, a bit like Margot Kidder in Superman.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Watched Back To The Future last night - I had forgot just what a good film it is.

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Saw Unfaithful with Richard Gere and Oh baby!!! Diane Lane. She'd make a great Moneypenny.

Saw Back To The Future 2. Just the third to go now.

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Stanley Donen's "How to Steal a Million" is a cute, pleasant 60's romantic comedy, and it’s a lot better than nearly all of the ones made today anyway.  It's certainly an entertaining caper about a painting forger's daughter enlisting the aid of a thief to steal her father's forged masterpiece from a Parisian museum.  Peter O'Toole doesn't look too bad with his hair dyed brown, and Audrey Hepburn is her usual charming innocent self.  It lacks the suspense and sharp wit of "Charade," though, but it’s fun to watch O’Toole and Hepburn run around Paris.

"The Triplets of Belleville" is a very...memorable film.  The plot is rather hazy, but it seems to be about a grandmother trying to rescue her kidnapped bicylist grandson who was picked up by the French mafia after dropping out of the Tour de France.  The grandmother, with the help of the former French jazz trio, the Triplettes of Belleville, manages to rescue her son from some kind of private bicycle race betting scheme.  For some reason I didn't like the animation style; the people is warped out of proportion.  There's virtually no dialogue, and I still haven't figured out whether or not it was in English or French.  There are some amusing visual gags, like a waiter literally bending over backwards.  The film and the score are definitely overrated, or I'm a cultural barbarian.

I also saw the remake of The Lion in Winter starring Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close.  Short review: Go for the original as the supporting cast is pretty weak, and the direction is so-so.  I'll come up with the longer one later.

Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.

'belleville rendezvous' aka 'Les triplettes de Belville' is one of the most intelligent, innovative, original and utterly charming Animation i've ever seen.
No offense Tracy but you must have missed load of in-gags and references to old movies.
It's also loaded with obvious spoofs/hommages to
real Artists of every facet of life.

Probably yoyu should try and watch it again after some time with more background knowledge.
I admit that some of the gags are very subtle and you have to have a wide general knowledge especially of old(er) movies but that made part of the fun watching this film.

I can only say it's nothing less than brilliant.
I have it on DVD and always watch the DTS original french version with subtitles but as you said there isn't much dialog anyway.

If you get all the references (i'm not sure if i got them all as there are so many) and the great eye for detail the filmmakers have employed you will notice that it is nearly flawless from the aspect of making intelligent animtion.

Ok enough now lol, i think it's not overrated it's just excellent.

In the mood for love - Wong Kar-wai.

Brilliant love story. Thank God it wasn't made Hollyfools.

---
jfm

"Catch Me if You Can" - apart from DeCaprio, an interesting and very watchable film.

Last edited by General_Ourumov (10th Sep 2004 22:53)

Got to agree with you there General Ourumov. The last film I saw was The Ladykillers. Not one of Tom Hanks best performances, but it was ok if you can get around all of the profanity.

I'll tell you the last movie I didn't see, "The Day After"

And glad of it!

I finally got to watch I, Robot today. What a cracking film ! Don't think it will stand up to many repeat viewings though - which is a shame.

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Quoting DFXX:
I would've gone to see it at the pictures, but I don't like Will Smith at all ... if it was someone else I would've gone - I might rent it from Blockbusters.

Why don't you like Will Smith ? I thought he put in another good performance.

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

I saw Office Space a few weeks ago and it was hilarious! I loved how everything works itself out. Michael Bolton was by far my favorite character.

I saw True Romance, written by Tarantino, a few days ago. It was very good, but full of profanity and violence. I saw the Director's Cut.

Quoting bladerunner_ozd:
I rented something random from Blockbuster a few weeks back. I decided on this flick called "The Prophecy of the Tiger". It had Francis Ford Copolla on the front and sounded good: American Doctor goes on honeymoon to Hong Kong, gets mixed up in chinese mafia, wife gets killed and he is revived by an old chinese medicine man who trains him in the martial arts to get revenge bla bla...

Worst fookin' film I have ever seen in my life! Clearly not by Copolla (it must have been a production company named after him or something), the film didn't even have an ending! I am sure it was a pilot for a hopeful TV series that was never made (bcos it was crap!). Me and my brothers found it really funny actually, it built itself up like something big and msterious was going to happen, but nothing happened, hardly even a fight! Rent it just to see how bad it is, it's funny!

Anyone seen it btw?

The sounds awful.

Just watched Fathom with Raquel.