Re: The ULTIMATE bond ranking- your 1-20

Quoting Red Grant:

His emotional mood swings were hardly something to aspire to as a memeber of the audience. Our heroes are supposed to make us want to come along on their journeys, and expierence their trials. I dont see how anyone of us could relate to a man who is insincerely lovey-dubbey to Kara and then seething with rage minutes later by the death of Saunders.

I completely disagree with you here. I could completely relate to a man who is making out with a beautiful women in whom he is interested, and then when his friend dies, gets very, very angry. This makes perfect sense. Even if I was with a woman, if my friend and partner for the time being died, I would be very angry, enough to push Kara away.

The winners are

5/5 No Body did it beter
1The Spy Who Loved Me
2The Living Daylghts
3From Russia With Love
4Octopussy
5The World is Not enough

4.5 Great
6Tomarrow Never Dies ( would have been even beter with a different bond girl than Micheil Yo)
7For Your Eyes Only
8Liscence to Kill
9Live and Let Die
10 On Her Magesty Secret Service

4.0 Good But not the Best
11You Only Live Twice
12The Man With the Golden Gun
13Goldfinger
14Dr. No
15Golden Eye

4.0 Let downs
16A View to A Kill
17MoonRaker
18ThunderBall
19 Die Another Day

And the worst bond film ever 20Diamonds are forver

Quoting Myrddin:
I think that you are completely wrong. Dalton was a completely a new James Bond, very different from Moore and Connery, and his relationship with felix Leiter isn't that of Dr. No, or Diamonds are forever.
The main problem with Licence to kill was not Dalton, but the very, very pooor pubblicity in U.s.a. (in Europe Licence to Kill had a box office similar to Th Living Daylights): Dalton has the eyes of a man that can really kill something, not a campy man as Roger Moore, or a good but a little too nacissist man as Brosnan.
If you see Looney Toons back in actions you can see that Dalton is more Bond than Bronsan now, these days ...

There is only one James Bond of the films, and thats the constant character that runs through each incarnation. The man we see up on the screen now is supposed to be the same man who woke to Honey Rider on the beaches in Dr. No.

Further, the films are a series, with each new entry taking the story from the same cue. Thus the history is supposed to be the same, not change with each new actor. I know their have been some minor inconsistensies, such as Bond knowing how to disarm a nuke in some films, not in others, or being able to speak Japanese in one but not in another etc. But the history with Leiter is more documented than a slight oversight by a screen writer. And that history should have been paid better attention to IMO.

1 The Spy Who Loved Me
2 Octopussy
3 For Your Eyes Only
4 From Russia With Love
5 Tomorrow Never Dies
6 A View To A Kill
7 Goldeneye
8 The Living Daylights
9 The Man With The Golden Gun
10 Moonraker
11 Goldfinger
12 The World Is Not Enough
13 Dr. No
14 On Her Majesty's Secret Service
15 Diamonds Are Forever
16 You Only Live Twice
17 Live and Let Die
18 Thunderball
19 Die Another Day
20 Licence To Kill

Never Say Never Again isn't even worth putting with the other Bond films

Last edited by Q_Branch84 (3rd May 2005 04:50)

1 - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
2 - From Russia With Love
3 - The Spy Who Loved Me
4 - The Man With The Golden Gun
5 - Goldeneye
6 - The Living Daylights
7 - For Your Eyes Only
8 - Octopussy
9 - Tomorrow Never Dies
10 - Moonraker
11 - Live and Let Die
12 - You Only Live Twice
13 - Goldfinger
14 - Dr No
15 - A View To A Kill
16 - Diamonds Are Forever
17 - Licence To Kill
18 - Thunderball
19 - Die Another Day
20 - The World Is Not Enough

1. CR 2 OHMSS 3. TSWLM 4. TLD 5. SF 6. FRwL
7. GE 8. FYEO 9. LtK 10. TMwtGG 11. AVtaK 12.OP
13. DN 14. GF 15. TND 16. SP 17. TB 18. TWiNE
19. MR 20. YOLT 21. LaLD 22. QoS 23. DAD 24. DAF

I think we need some discussion with regards to your choice of films, why etc etc. Please make this a discussion rather than a list. We are working to thin out lists, therefore the topic will b removed unless it has an element of discussion.

Simon

My humble observations...
1. Goldfinger (Bond as it should be; fun, dangerous, slightly chauvenistic)
2. Goldeneye (Brosnan's great mix of Connery and Fleming's Bond, great re-start)
3. Dr. No (This series should always be set in the 60's! Simple and beautiful)
4. From Russia With Love (The best adaptation from the book. Great train fight!)
5. The Living Daylights (Along with Goldeneye, great restart, interesting new Bond)
6. For Your Eyes Only (Moore's chance at a throwback to early Bond film glory and for the most part, the movie succeeds)
7. The Spy Who Loved Me (Great story, Moore's only other performance where he seems to care IMO)
8. Octopussy (Close to a good performance from Moore, they should've played up Moore's obviously advancing age at this point)
9. Thunderball (Something's wrong with the tone, could never figure out what is missing here, does not stand up to Connery's first 3 films)
10. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Great story and despite his best efforts, a bad new Bond)
11. Tomorrow Never Dies (Interesting idea, bad execution. The filmmakers started to turn Bond into a superhero)
12. Live and Let Die (Loved Solitaire but Bond felt stiff. Needed to show his dangerous edge)
13. The World Is Not Enough (Story is a mess, Brosnan tries to bring Bond some rough edges in a sterile film)
14. Moonraker (Bond in space, ugh...)
15. Die Another Day (Great idea to have Bond caught and tortured. Way too much emphasis on CGI FX. Invisible car??? Please!) 
16. License To Kill (I want to like this movie, I really do. But there is nothing fun or entertaining about it. I liked Dauton as Bond and wish he would've done a third film to find that proper mix of his TLD Bond and his LTK Bond)
17. You Only Live Twice (Connery phoning it in. His boredom ruins the film, it's hard to ignore)
18. Diamonds Are Forever (Fun to see Connery back, but the early 70's wardrobe does not scream class or dignity. Bond should not wear pink!)
19. The Man With The Golden Gun (Dull. No real point to this movie despite the presence of Lee)
20. A View To A Kill (Not even a younger, more athletic Bond could save this mess. A tired movie made by tired filmmakers.)

If anyone cares, Im going to compile a ranking of everyone's replies to this thread so far. I will assign the #1 choice 20pts, #2 choice 19 pts, down to #20 choice 1pt, then list the results, so we can get an idea as to which films are ranked overall per our replies, if anyone cares ajb007/smile

1. You Only Live Twice
2. From Russia With Love
3. Diamonds Are Forever
4. Moonraker
5. The Spy Who Loved Me
6. Dr. No
7. Goldfinger
8. Live & Let Die
9. The Man With The Golden Gun
10. Octopussy
11. Thunderball
12. For Your Eyes Only
13. A View To A Kill
14. Die Another Day
15. Golden Eye
16. Tomorrow Never Dies
17. The World Is Not Enough
18. License To Kill
19. Living Daylights
20. On Her Majestys Secret Service

Here are results of voting (through my post above) (45 total replies counted). I assigned a point value (1 for #1 choice, 2 for #2 choice, etc), then totalled them up and heres the rankings of the overall votes so far:

1.  From Russia With Love (229 pts)
2.  Goldfinger (263 pts)
3.  The Spy Who Loved Me (318 pts)
4.  GoldenEye (346 pts)
5.  Thunderball (378 pts)
6.  The Living Daylights (392 pts)
7.  On Her Majesty's Secret Service (394 pts)
8.  For Your Eyes Only (407 pts)
9.  Dr. No (431 pts)
10. License To Kill (464 pts)
11. Live & Let Die (492 pts)
12. You Only Live Twice (504 pts)
13. Octopussy (510 pts)
14. The World Is Not Enough (522 pts)
15. Tomorrow Never Dies (548 pts)
16. Moonraker (616 pts)
17. The Man With The Golden Gun (621 pts)
18. Diamonds Are Forever (630 pts)
19. A View To A Kill (670 pts)
20. Die Another Day (700 pts)

Last edited by SilverBullet_Club3G (11th Jun 2005 00:12)

1. The Spy Who Loved Me
2. Octopussy
3. The Man With The Golden Gun
4. The Living Daylights
5. Live and Let Die
6. For Your Eyes Only
7. A View To A Kill
8. Moonraker
9. Tomorrow Never Dies
10. From Russia With Love
11. Goldeneye
12. You Only Live Twice
13. Goldfinger
14. The World Is Not Enough
15. Licence To Kill
16. OnHer Majesty's Secret Service
17. Dr. No
18. Thunderball
19. Die Another Day
20. Diamonds Are Forever

I know I posted before on this but I had to deffinatly update my list. Moore's Bond films are simply more entertaining then Connery's (well at least for me they are). Dalton is underrated and Brosnan is slightly over-rated. Licence To Kill acctually isn't that bad once you watch it a few times..although Wayne Newton still sucks in it. And then there's Diamonds Are Forever...Connery's downfall.

1 Goldeneye
2 A View To A Kill
3 The Man With The Golden Gun
4 Moonraker
5 You Only Live Twice
6 Live And Let Die
7 The Living Daylights
8 Licence To Kill
9 The World Is Not Enough
10 The Spy Who Loved Me
11 Octopussy
12 Goldfinger
13 Tomorrow Never Dies
14 Diamonds Are Forever
15 For Your Eyes Only
16 Thunderball
17 Die Another Day
18 On Her Majesty's Secret Service
19 From Russia With Lone
20 Dr. No

I like the compilation. I agree with most of it.

Nightshooter wrote:

I like the compilation. I agree with most of it.

I agree with some and not others in the final results, but remember its based on everyones opinions who posted so far, so it will vary. Heck, I love Diamonds Are Forever, but from the results, not many others do. To each his own ajb007/smile
Just gives everyone an idea as to the overall ranking of everyones opinions, so far.

ajb007/smile
1. You Only Live Twice
2. For Your Eyes Only
3.Goldfinger
4.The World Is Not Enough
5.The Living Daylights
6.From Russia With Love
7.The Spy Who Loved Me
8.Dr.No
9.Goldeneye
10.Live And Let Die
11.Octopussy
12.Moonraker
13.Thunderball
14.A View To A Kill
15.Tomorrow Never Dies
16.The Man With The Golden Gun
17.Die Another Day
18.On Her Majesty's Secret Service
19.Diamonds Are Forever
20.License To Kill
ajb007/smile

AlecsCradle wrote:

1 Goldeneye
2 A View To A Kill
3 The Man With The Golden Gun
4 Moonraker
5 You Only Live Twice
6 Live And Let Die
7 The Living Daylights
8 Licence To Kill
9 The World Is Not Enough
10 The Spy Who Loved Me
11 Octopussy
12 Goldfinger
13 Tomorrow Never Dies
14 Diamonds Are Forever
15 For Your Eyes Only
16 Thunderball
17 Die Another Day
18 On Her Majesty's Secret Service
19 From Russia With Lone
20 Dr. No

Good list I personally agree with all of the rankings

broadshoulder wrote:

La Creme de La Creme

1. From Russia With Love
2. Goldfinger
3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
4. The Spy Who Loved Me
5. The Living Daylights

The Still excellent and only just missed on top five

6. Dr No
7. For Your Eyes Only
8. Thunderball
9. You Only Live Twice
10. Licence to Kill

Classic Bond in their own way

11. Live and Let Die
12. Diamonds are Forever
13. Octopussy
14. The Man With The Golden Gun
15. A View To A Kill
16. Moonraker

The deserved bottom of the heap

17. Goldeneye
18. Tomorrow Never Dies
19. The World is Not Enough
20. Die Another Day

Although, there is shuffling from spot to spot of different movies - Thunderball, OHMSS and Living daylights are higher on my list,  Your bottom of the heap pile is DEAD ON!!!!!!

my personal favorites

1. Goldfinger
2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
3. Goldeneye
4. The Living Daylights
5. From Russia With Love
6. For Your Eyes Only
7. The Spy Who Loved Me
8. Thunderball
9. Live and Let Die
10. Dr. No
11. Man with the Goldengun
12. Octopussy
13. The World is Not Enough
14. A View to a Kill
15. Tomorrow Never Dies
16. You Only Live Twice
17. License of Kill
18. Diamonds Are Forever

These are the two worst, by far

19. Moonraker
20. Die Another Day

I had to sign up and get this off my chest! Great postings, folks,

My  order of preference.

1.    The Spy Who Loved Me (The Ski Jump, Kurd Jurgen in an underwater base, the car chase is the best of the series, Egypt and oh, yeah, I almost forgot…. XXX The Best Bond Girl, ever.)
2.    Goldeneye (Cool factor: the fallen Russian empire set design; great plot for a James Bond; gorgeous cinematography, the opening, the tank chase and, oh, yeah, I almost forgot: Framke Jansen, the coolest Bad Bond Babe, ever)
3.    Thunderball (Slow? Are you kidding? I’d like to see you swim any faster! One of the best plots of the series and one of the great villains in Largo)
4.    License To Kill (the vicious side of James Bond from the novels brought to life, one time only, but it’s fantastic. Memorable villain.)
5.    Dr. No (Best villain ever! The original Darth Vader. ‘Dude used to scare me awake!)
6.    Goldfinger (Two words: Odd Job)
7.    Octopussy (The Beautiful women are like a special effect in this movie and there’s the little plane, in the opening sequence)
8.    The Living Daylights (Cool plot for those who care to follow, Timothy Dalton and the second best (house) car chase in the series.
9.    The World Is Not Enough (Sophie Marceau vs. M, the cool tree cutters and of course, Denise Richards. Yeah, right ajb007/wink
10.    For Your eyes Only (Great plot, Carol Bouquet, The best ending in the series but also the worst opening, by far)
11.    Die Another Day (The car chase, third best in the series, the cool ice castle set, the fun in jokes for the real fans)
12.    From Russia With Love (Yeah, yeah, I love it too, but the plot: it’s heavy on romance which is great – if you hire a good actress. Too bad Diana Rigg isn’t in this one)
13.    Never Say Never Again (Welcome back, Sean, and thanks for a cool Bike chase)
14.    Diamonds Are Forever (I like the Vegas stuff, worst ending in the series)
15.    On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (Not at the bottom thanks to Diana Rigg, the most beautiful bond babe ever. But Lazybond, well, his name is great….)
16.    Moonraker (yeah, but it’s funny if you’re friendly to it, and the Brazilian sequences are fantastic. Plus, the villain has a great accent!)
17.    You Only Live Twice (Formulaic and a mess from beginning to end, and Connery is so bored, you’d almost wish George Lazybond had made two movies!)
18.    The Man With The Golden Gun (Christopher Lee saves this from being at the very bottom of the pile)
19.    Tomorrow Never Dies (To call this one thin on plot would be to infer that there is a shred of story in this flick. Worst villain in the series)
20.    A View to a Kill (Stupid Blimp!)
21.    Live and Let Die (There’s the tune, and there’s the fun boat chase and the DVD has the coolest menus in the series. But it is also the one that aged the most. The New York scenes hurt (I’m not kidding) and the voodoo stuff looks silly, especially with Mrs Seymore, who’s never been caught acting. Too bad, it’s a great concept for a James Bond story, and look! It already has a killer title!)

Ciao!

these are the reason I love bond:
1 GF (Connery is perfect aswell as the rest of the cast, great music, everything is perfect.
2 DAF ( I understand why most of you don't like it, but I do.extreamly entertaining, funny, exciting and connery is great)
3 TSWLM ( this film is totally cool. roger's best appearence, great music, gadgets and gimmicks.and the PTS is the best. simply a high quality action movie that alouds itself to be extreme)
4 FRWL ( great spy movie in the perfect sense. Connery looks great. I love Blofeld in this one. another hugh-quality film.
5 OP (diserves more credit. afterall it has everything a bond-movie needs, and I feel that it is very special.)
6 OHMSS ( this one is amazing. it was my nr1 before but I got tired of it. great mucis and plot. lazenby isn't as bad as some say. the film is very different from the others wich I strongly like.
7 DR.NO ( the first one is the least pretentious. the "bond, james bond"-scene is ultimate. I love the vilian.
8 TMWTGG (another one that I understand people dislike. but I strongly enjoy it. few things are HQ except some scenes and the appearences by christopher lee and roger moore. I think the J.W. pepper scenes are very fun.)
9 TB( very exciting. I like the music. the underwater scenes are good.)
10 YOLT (it gives me some amature-vibes but it is still great. japan's culture is being used just right. blofeld and the fight at the pirayas are the best things in this film.)
11 GE (great action and pierce is terrific. what a comeback after the dalton-flops.)
12 TWINE ( peirce is perfect and so are the occurences. action all the way)
13 FYEO (just another bond-movie that is good and fun to watch)

but these are also great:
14 MR (too much science-fiction. some very good scenes like the PTS. it gives me unserious vibes.)
15 LTK (a long time ago I watched it, but of what i remember it is not like a bond-movie. dalton is just not james bond. I love the themesong though. sanchez is no good villian
16 LALD ( low quality movie overall. some very nice scenes still, like the one with all the crocodiles. weak acting by moore.)
17 TLD ( I hate the girl very much and dalton is no james bond. the villians are extreamly sad too. the car looks nice.)
18 AVTAK (great theme song, but an unpleasant movie overall. moore looks strange, doesn't he.)
19 TND (I like some scenes very much, especially the BMW-thing, but most of the film is just crap.)

this one is not a bond movie:
20 DAD (they should never have done it. yet it has some interesting scenes.)

Last edited by rangnar (7th Jul 2005 17:38)

SilverBullet_Club3G wrote:

1.  From Russia With Love (229 pts)
2.  Goldfinger (263 pts)
3.  The Spy Who Loved Me (318 pts)
4.  GoldenEye (346 pts)
5.  Thunderball (378 pts)
6.  The Living Daylights (392 pts)
7.  On Her Majesty's Secret Service (394 pts)
8.  For Your Eyes Only (407 pts)
9.  Dr. No (431 pts)
10. License To Kill (464 pts)
11. Live & Let Die (492 pts)
12. You Only Live Twice (504 pts)
13. Octopussy (510 pts)
14. The World Is Not Enough (522 pts)
15. Tomorrow Never Dies (548 pts)
16. Moonraker (616 pts)
17. The Man With The Golden Gun (621 pts)
18. Diamonds Are Forever (630 pts)
19. A View To A Kill (670 pts)
20. Die Another Day (700 pts)

WHAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!! something is wrong with this. LALD rated higher than DAF TMWTGG MR YOLT TWINE and OOPPPP!!!! and LTK at 10, it should be much lower down. At least some things are correct; DAD and AVTAK in the bottom and TSWLM, FRWL and GF in the top.GE at four is a little too much. the list did really surprise me.

Last edited by rangnar (19th Jul 2005 16:44)

1)GOLDFINGER
2)THUNDERBALL
3)FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
4)DR. NO
5)YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
6)THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
7)GOLDENEYE
8)FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
9)ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE
10)LIVE AND LET DIE
11)DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
12)TOMORROW NEVER DIES
13)DIE ANOTHER DAY
14)THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
15)THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
16)OCTOPUSSY
17)MOONRAKER
18)LICENCE TO KILL
19)THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
20)A VIEW TO A KILL

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Johnny O wrote:

"My humble observations...
11. Tomorrow Never Dies (Interesting idea, bad execution. The filmmakers started to turn Bond into a superhero)"

In a way, he has always been a kind of superhero. He's a 00 with a licence to kill and the best in the business. He's Bond!!

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Well this is going to be tough.

Let's see:
1) Live and Let Die- Yes you heard me right, Live and Let Die is #1! It has a cool plot, awseome villians, good humour (Jw Pepper anybody?) and has a good Bond movie formula (the bugs in the hotel room, snakes.) This is one good movie.
2)Goldfinger- Instant. Classic. I love this movie. Oddjob, awesome villain, "the man with the midas touch", cool car, great plot.
3)Licence to Kill- I love the darkness in this movie. Bond has gone in a new direction and I think it carries a bit into the Brosnan films too. Sanchez is a great villain, I like the truck chase at the end too.
4)You Only Live Twice
5)The man With The Golden Gun
6)The Living Daylights
7)Goldeneye
8)From Russia With Love
9)Diamonds are Forever
10)Dr.No

11)Thunderball
12)The Spy Who Loved Me
13)On her Majestys Secret Service
14)A View To A Kill
15)Tomorrow Never Dies
16)Octopussy
17)Moonraker
18)Never Say Never Again
19)The World is Not Enough
20)Die Another Day
21)For Your Eyes Only

I'm sure my list will change once and while. Maybe I'll post an updated list in 6 months.

ok, i change my rankings after re-watching the Brosnan films and Moore films

1. Goldfinger (always will be number one)
2. The Living Daylights
3. From Russia With Love
4. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5. The Spy Who Loved Me
6. Goldeneye
7. For Your Eyes Only
8. The World is Not Enough
9. Thunderball
10. Dr. No
11. Tomorrow Never Dies
12. Live and Let Die
13. Octopussy
14. Man With the Goldengun
15. License to Kill
16. You Only Live Twice
17. A View to a Kill
18. Diamonds are Forever
19. Moonraker
20. Die Another Day

1. Moonraker
2. The Spy Who Love Me
3. Goldfinger
4. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5. Goldeneye
6. From Russia With Love
7. Live And Let Die
8. For Your Eyes Only
9. The Living Daylights
10. Octopussy

11. Dr. No
12. Licence To Kill
13. Thunderball
14. You Only Live Twice
15. The World Is Not Enough
16. A View To A Kill
17. The Man With The Golden Gun
18. Tomorrow Never Dies
19. Diamonds Are Forever
20. Die Another Day

1. The Living Daylights - Great story, great Bond, great music. Timothy Dalton's performance is outstanding. (I still reckon he should've played Voldermort in GOF onwards in Harry Potter, though. Oh Well)
2. The Spy Who Loved Me - Fun redo of You Only Live Twice, entertaining villains, Moore just lightens the movie, which is good.
3. From Russia With Love - Simple plot, no world domination. Great editing. Pedro Armendariz is awesome. May he rest in peace.
4. GoldenEye - Sheer entertainment, along with great set pieces. Sean Bean in brilliant. Weird music though.
5. On Her Majesty's Secret Service - A turning point for the Bond series. The death of Bond's wife is synonymous with the values of quality in the 60's. Judgement against Lazenby is unfair. He did well.
6. For Your Eyes Only - Nice and simple again, nice little pre-credits sequence. Julian Glover, off the back of his performance as General Veers in The Empire Strikes Back, is brilliant.
7. Licence To Kill – Great to see Felix be a centerpoint for a story. Dalton is frightening, yet brilliant. Q kicks arse. Davi’s performance is terrifying!
8. The World Is Not Enough – Well directed piece, and a rather entertaining twist. Brosnan plays the part well.
9. You Only Live Twice – Donald Pleasance is awesome as Blofeld. Also, one of the most memorable battles at the end. Dahl’s screenplay is sheer escapism. Little Nellie steals the show.
10. A View To A Kill – The first Bond I saw. And it hooked me to the series. Sure, Moore may be way to old, Jones may freak people out, and it may be a rehash of Goldfinger, but Walken’s performance is brilliant, the climax is well done, and the music is some of the best in the series.
11. Goldfinger
12. The Man With The Golden Gun
13. Tomorrow Never Dies
14. Live And Let Die
15. Moonraker
16. Dr. No
17. Octopussy
18. Thunderball
19. Diamonds Are Forever – Gray is only redeeming feature
20. Die Another Day – Cons: Berry and Tamorhi

Posts [ 76 to 100 of 1,270 ]

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 51 Next