Topic: Extras

The last episode of Ricky Gervais' follow up to 'The Office' has just aired here in the UK and I was wondering what people thought of the series? I was disappointed with the first episode, but that was because I had The Office in mind and had to warm to a new situation, environment and character (or characters in this case). However, as the series progressed I found it not only hilarious but also interesting, almost fascinating. The relationship between Andy and Maggie wasn't your typical "friends into romance" affair, they are two seemingly very different people who are in the same situation. The chemistry between the two was very nice, I also enjoyed the way the show poked fun at famous faces (interestingly, I found the less famous ones to be funnier, Ross Kemp and Les Dennis more so than Samuel L Jackson and Ben Stiller), showing their alleged arrogance and ignorance. All in all, a series I thoroughly enjoyed, and i hope for a second!

Re: Extras

They started with the least funny episode (Ben Stiller) apparantly, which wasn't written as the first. The first was meant to be the one with Ross Kemp, but HBO wanted a big-name opener for US audiences.

Yeah, I enjoyed it, preferred it to The Office myself.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I really enjoyed it.I think you either get Ricky Gervais or you dont.I think he is very clever but some of his humour is very subtle and can go over peoples heads.I think Stephen Merchant proved that he is just as talented on screen as well as off.

This series definitely grew on me.Loved the episode with Kate Winslet and last nights with Patrick Stewart.Very good.

I did read that a second series has been commissioned......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/extras/

Lady Rose wrote:

Loved the episode with Kate Winslet and last nights with Patrick Stewart.Very good.

Yes! I thought the episode with Kate Winslet was the funniest in the series.  She was all too keen to rip the P out of herself, while at the same time walking the fine line between out right comedy and out right offence.  As well as being downright dirty ajb007/wink

And Patrick Stewart's obssession with naked women was a highlight too. 

I echo the sentiment that the series started on a low.  The first episode I watched and thought "what the...?" but it definitely grew, with the most cringeworthy being Les Dennis.  Particularly his nude scene!!  ajb007/amazed  Eek indeed.

I think the characters this time round are far more tragic and lonely than The Office, but that doesn't make the comedy any less funny.

http://media.open2.net/flags/unitedkingdom.png

I thought the series was great, really funny and clever.  But I'm curious to know how it was written, and how involved the stars were in its writing.  Did they send Les Dennis the finished script with a note saying "Dear Les; we'd like to completely take the mickey out of your entire life, and have you debase yourself on national television?"  Or did they write a more subtle one and ramp it up? 

And agreed about Kate Winslet; once again she goes up in my estimation.  The girl seems game for anything!

Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart

jetsetwilly wrote:

I thought the series was great, really funny and clever.  But I'm curious to know how it was written, and how involved the stars were in its writing......

I'm not sure how much imput the stars have but I read an interview with RG stating that when they had written the Kate Winslet script she was up for an Oscar and they were just praying she didn't win!

Last edited by Lady Rose (27th Aug 2005 16:17)

Like most of you here, I really enjoyed the series and also thought the first episode was the weakest. Stephen Merchant was excellent and probably stole the series for me.

I wonder what the Americans will think of it !

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

It does irritate me a lot that the American broadcasting company insisted on showing the Ben Stiller episode first because they wanted a 'Big Name Opener' That was a really stupid idea as this episode was clearly not intended to introduce the series to us. Boo, Hiss...

Is it just me, or does Stephen Merchant look like Wallace (of Wallace & Gromit fame)?  When he grins the resemblance is uncanny!

@merseytart

Second episode into Series 2 of Extras, and I have to say I think so far it's been bloomin' brilliant.

Keith Chegwin managed to outshine Orlando Bloom last week with his cringeworthy and highly un-PC comments, but last night's was just brilliance!

The homeless man and the £20 being painful enough, the legend that is David Bowie taking to the piano and singing "Little fat man who sold his soul, little fat man who sold his dream, chubby little loser . . . pathetic little fat man, no one’s bloody laughing" and ending with the whole bar singing the chorus of "See his pug-nosed face" was just genuis!  I haven't laughed so much in ages!

Next up for the ritual humiliation, Daniel Radcliffe!

Last edited by Moonraker 5 (22nd Sep 2006 08:41)

I loved last nights episode. Bowie was great and the cast were all superb. I just adore Sean Williamson and  Steve Marchant come close to stealing the show

The writing of this show is absolute genius in my eyes. It is not a role on the floor comedy ( though it obviously has those moments) but a dark tragic look at these sad little characters lives. The show is full of pathos. Seeing Andy going back to the pub where everyone loved him spoke volumes about the human psyche.

I have never had much time for Orlando Bloom, but after seeing him take the mickey out of himself last week he has gone right up in my estimations.

N.B ... thought that song Bowie did was the best thing he's done in years ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by Lady Rose (22nd Sep 2006 11:36)

It makes me laugh every time they call Shaun Williamson "Barry".  Self-humiliation seems to be a pre-requisite on this show!

@merseytart

My dad said it represented the nadir of British comedy, and that last night's telly overall was the final dregs...

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Napoleon Plural wrote:

My dad said it represented the nadir of British comedy, and that last night's telly overall was the final dregs...

"Are you having a laugh?" ajb007/lol

jetsetwilly wrote:

It makes me laugh every time they call Shaun Williamson "Barry".  Self-humiliation seems to be a pre-requisite on this show!

I'm glad him and Merchant have an increased role in this series, the tragedy of them all is just fabulous.

benskelly wrote:

I heard these episodes were online somewhere, is that true?  Anyone know where an unfortunate Yank might be able to find them?

The programme is a co-production with HBO, so will be on that channel soon.  Last year the US transmission followed the British one quite quickly.

@merseytart

benskelly wrote:

Well, not quickly enough, if you know what I mean.  Someone said it's going to play in January, that's a long time to wait.

You wont have to! Whilst trawling I came across this... enjoy

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001 … 93,00.html

Last edited by Lady Rose (24th Sep 2006 02:47)

Lady Rose wrote:

Whilst trawling I came across this... enjoy

The Bowie song is just as hysterical second time round!  Brilliant! ajb007/biggrin

I think it's a decent enough series, not exactly littered with laugh out loud moments though and it is taking a bit of stick in the press for that. Probably the right decision to finish the series here.

Agreed - great song by Bowie ajb007/lol

The Joy Of 6

Sir Miles wrote:

I think it's a decent enough series, not exactly littered with laugh out loud moments though and it is taking a bit of stick in the press for that.

I dont think its meant to be .Its more of a Greek tragedy with its use of pathos. I think you either get it or you don't, a bit like 'The Office.'

I do find it extremely funny though, unlike Andy's comedy  ajb007/lol

Lady Rose wrote:

I dont think its meant to be .Its more of a Greek tragedy with its use of pathos. I think you either get it or you don't, a bit like 'The Office.'

Agreed, that's why there isn't a laugh-track played over it. It's the awkwardness of the situation and people that create the fun.

I think it's funny and very watchable with Steve Merchant and Shaun Williamson stealing every scene they are in.

The Joy Of 6

I think this is one of the funniest shows ever.  I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.  The episode with Ross Kemp killed me!

I was hoping an espisode from the new season would have centered around CR with a cameo by Craig!  Wishful thinking...

Last edited by Red Indian (25th Sep 2006 21:15)

Dame Diana's exchange with Daniel Radcliffe about the 'sheath' in this episode was quite hilarious!
And the 'evolution' of the news story about Andy's attack on a Down Syndrome was funny ajb007/lol

Possibly the best episode of the series so far!

Last edited by i expect u2 die (28th Sep 2006 21:29)

i expect u2 die wrote:

Dame Diana's exchange with Daniel Radcliffe about the 'sheath' in this episode was quite hilarious!

Yes, last night's episode really was roll on the floor laughter!  I really wasn't expecting Dame Diana to be in the episode at all, despite the fact she was name-checked earlier in the programme, so to see her so rudely interrupted at lunch, prophylactic ( ajb007/lol ) draped over her face, saying "Can I have my Johnny back please. And it's not actually called a Johnny, is it?"  Just hysterical. 

Last night's had to have the most celebs crammed in to any one episode so far.  The whole Richard & Judy/Fern & Phil thing with the down syndrome child was quite simply unbelievable in today's ultra-PC world!

Moonraker 5 wrote:
i expect u2 die wrote:

Yes, last night's episode really was roll on the floor laughter!  I really wasn't expecting Dame Diana to be in the episode at all, despite the fact she was name-checked earlier in the programme, so to see her so rudely interrupted at lunch, prophylactic ( ajb007/lol ) draped over her face, saying "Can I have my Johnny back please. And it's not actually called a Johnny, is it?"  Just hysterical. 

Last night's had to have the most celebs crammed in to any one episode so far.  The whole Richard & Judy/Fern & Phil thing with the down syndrome child was quite simply unbelievable in today's ultra-PC world!

Have'nt seen it yet but I'm laughing already ajb007/lol