Fan produced 007 Dossier

PMKanePMKane Posts: 10MI6 Agent
Hey there . . .

Been way too long since I've posted here, but I am back with some news. Many of you might recognize me from some of the covers I've designed for the various fan-fictions here at ajb007. I can't tell you how much fun it had been doing those.

Onto the news . . . I've just sent to the printer my lastest publishing project. The 007 literary dossier. You can get a peek at the cover here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/pmkane/.

I attempt to summerize all the Bond books out there. From Fleming to Benson. 32-page, black and white interior with a full color cover.

It'll be available for purchase online and at the various shows I'll be attending this year. The purchasing links should go live in February. I am also planning a follow up with featuring Bond as featured in comic book format.

Take a look and let me know what you think . . . it's good to be back on the boards!

-pmk
www.pmkane.com

Comments

• 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Cool...Does it cover each book individualy in a chapter-like format? I really want to know if it has good info on DR.NO.
  • PMKanePMKane Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    Thanks for the interest . . . each page covers one book . . . I had to double up on a few books to allow for the page count. But Dr. No has it's own page . . .

-pmk
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    Wow, great artwork, and I love the fact that you're basing it on the literary James Bond (aka: the forgotten James Bond).
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Very nice! Excellent work...it's a great idea to recap the literary Bond in such a format!
    Where did you say we could buy it online...I have always liked the books. Also what's the cost?
    The book will be available in early February . . . I'll post the links to purchase the book when it's up. The cost will be $4.95 plus shipping. Each book is signed - and can be personalized, if an inscription is desired.

thanks again for the interest!

-pmk
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,557Chief of Staff
    Nice to have you back, PMKane. I look forward to getting a copy.
    YNWA 97
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Hi, the cover art looks really impressive, and it is an intriguing style. Good luck with this project!!

:007)
  • CorsicanaCorsicana Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    That's really cool. It's great to see something like this covering the books as opposed to the films!
    a beard? ohhh . . . that's a shadow . . . had me crazy there thinking my JPG was currupt . . . :-)
    When should the website be up for purchase of this book. Also, Very nice website . Congrats.
    I am awaiting the first press proof of the book as I type . . . as soon as the proof is approved, it'll go into production for a February 10th release . . . I'll keep everyone posted!

-pmk
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    Great cover,PM.:)

I've occasionally wondered what James Bond would look like if he was ever in an animated motion picture as opposed to a live-action one.This particular version of 007 definitely gives me an idea of how he might appear in those circumstances.Very stylish and dramatic.Well done!
  • QwertyQwerty New York, USAPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    This sounds like an excellent release! I'd love to get a copy! :)
    ~ Nobody Knows Me Like You Know Me ~
  • j j hunseckerj j hunsecker Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Does anyone have a spare copy for sale?
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Paul it is great to see you back! It's almost like you've risen from the dead! It is great to see you have been working hard and that you are well my friend. The book looks great - I will certainly be purchasing a copy.

Anyway a welcome return to you indeed - and don't stay away so long next time! :)
    Paul it is great to see you back! It's almost like you've risen from the dead! It is great to see you have been working hard and that you are well my friend. The book looks great - I will certainly be purchasing a copy.

Anyway a welcome return to you indeed - and don't stay away so long next time! :)

Ditto here - just a pity I missed out on the first print run :(
    I'm glad they sold well well for you though.
    YNWA 97
  • Justice41Justice41 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    Hi Paul, Um I sold you that art on Ebay and you used it to make a book? What's up with that man? I have talked to my Lawyers and you'll be receiving a letter about this Matter soon. Paul you can't buy an artists original artwork and then slap it onto a product for resale or I would be able to do that with Adam Hughes pics or any artists artwork I purchased at a con or online. I am seeking compensation and giving me credit isn't it. This was done for an online art jam. It was done for fun. If I was selling this for reprint and as cover art do you think I would have sold it for $15 bucks. I have all my info and the Lawyers are looking it over. I will be seeking a percentage of the total take from each book sold. Look for a letter soon.
    *edit* Pics removed as well as accusations.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    Justice41 wrote:
    Hi Paul, Um I sold you that art on Ebay and you used it to make a book? What's up with that man? I have talked to my Lawyers and you'll be receiving a letter about this Fraudulent Matter soon. Paul you can't by an artists original artwork and then slap it onto a product for resale or I would be able to do that with Adam Hughes pics or any artists artwork I purchased at a con or online. I am seeking compensation and giving me credit isn't it. This was done for an online art jam. It was done for fun. If I was selling this for reprint and as cover art do you think I would have sold it for $15 bucks. I have all my info and the Lawyers are looking it over. I will be seeking a percentage of the total take from each book sold. Look for a letter soon.
    Here's what the original artwork was intended for. Not this Fraud.[quote/]

Umm.. oh dear. I appreciate it could possibly be your work, but It always frustrates me when people say "you'll be hearing from my lawyer!".

I hope things don't get messy :o
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    Justice41 wrote:
    Hi Paul, Um I sold you that art on Ebay and you used it to make a book? What's up with that man? I have talked to my Lawyers and you'll be receiving a letter about this Fraudulent Matter soon. Paul you can't by an artists original artwork and then slap it onto a product for resale or I would be able to do that with Adam Hughes pics or any artists artwork I purchased at a con or online. I am seeking compensation and giving me credit isn't it. This was done for an online art jam. It was done for fun. If I was selling this for reprint and as cover art do you think I would have sold it for $15 bucks. I have all my info and the Lawyers are looking it over. I will be seeking a percentage of the total take from each book sold. Look for a letter soon.
    Here's what the original artwork was intended for. Not this Fraud.
    bond5.jpg

I did not see that one coming!
    edited June 2006
    Justice41 wrote:

Umm.. oh dear. I appreciate it could possibly be your work, but It always frustrates me when people say "you'll be hearing from my lawyer!".

It's mine I still have the original scans and can produce a lot of artwork with my signature on them. Besides I already checked my records before this, to be sure whom I sold it to and it was Paul. Still need more proof check this link here it's the Completed Jam.
    http://uggabugga.net/My_Homepage_Files/Page22.html
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Justice41 wrote:
    Justice41 wrote:

It's mine I still have the original scans and can produce a lot of artwork with my signature on them. Besides I already checked my records before this, to be sure whom I sold it to and it was Paul. Still need more proof check this link here it's the Completed Jam.

Hmm.. seems it could be yours. Oh well, the book is great anyway!
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Well, that's kind of a shame. As a graphic designer and illustrator myself, it's always distressing to see other people taking advantage of your work. Hope this can be resolved with little fuss.

Thanks for the link, though! Never Die Twice is quite the visual treat!
    Justice41 wrote:
    Justice41 wrote:

Hmm.. seems it could be yours. Oh well, the book is great anyway!
    There is no seems to be yours. It's my drawing period.
    edited June 2006
    darenhat wrote:
    Well, that's kind of a shame. As a graphic designer and illustrator myself, it's always distressing to see other people taking advantage of your work. Hope this can be resolved with little fuss.

Thanks for the link, though! Never Die Twice is quite the visual treat!
    Yeah it was a fun little project, I also drew the first page and the large double page splash and the following page. Plus I created the Mock letters page. We do these to get the kids on the site used to working in a collaborative environment. It takes months to do those. The person who colored the cover art did a great job as well.
    here's the original concept and the final pencils for those who think,"It Seems To be Yours".
    *edit* Pics removed
    Good afternoon . . .

I am chalking this experience up to a learning one – I did purchase this original piece off of E-bay from Roy and had no idea that the piece was already used for a project. Had I known, I would never have utilized the work for my own little publishing effort. There were no rights implied at the time of purchase. I have been in contact with Roy via his E-bay account with the hopes that we can resolve this without the use of lawyers as I would think the cost of bringing attorneys into this would far out weight any reasonable compensation sought after. Many people on this board know me as a stand-up guy. So Roy . . . if you’re reading this, I hope you would contact me at my email address: paul@pmkane, so that we can resolve this amicably.

In related news . . . the second, unlimited edition, of 007: a Literary Dossier is in production – a scandal free production, I might add. The artist is fully aware of my intent to use his artwork on the cover and the book will be bigger and better than the previous edition – with the inclusion of the Young Bond books, the Moneypenny Diaries and 003½ . . . Look for more on this as the summer comes to a close . . .

I do apologize to Roy and members of this board for any misunderstanding and hope that everything works out and everyone is satisfied . . .

Sincerely,

Paul Michael Kane
    www.pmkane.com
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    PMKane wrote:
    Good afternoon . . .

I am chalking this experience up to a learning one – I did purchase this original piece off of E-bay from Roy and had no idea that the piece was already used for a project. Had I known, I would never have utilized the work for my own little publishing effort. There were no rights implied at the time of purchase. I have been in contact with Roy via his E-bay account with the hopes that we can resolve this without the use of lawyers as I would think the cost of bringing attorneys into this would far out weight any reasonable compensation sought after. Many people on this board know me as a stand-up guy. So Roy . . . if you’re reading this, I hope you would contact me at my email address: paul@pmkane, so that we can resolve this amicably.

In related news . . . the second, unlimited edition, of 007: a Literary Dossier is in production – a scandal free production, I might add. The artist is fully aware of my intent to use his artwork on the cover and the book will be bigger and better than the previous edition – with the inclusion of the Young Bond books, the Moneypenny Diaries and 003½ . . . Look for more on this as the summer comes to a close . . .

I do apologize to Roy and members of this board for any misunderstanding and hope that everything works out and everyone is satisfied . . .

Sincerely,

Paul Michael Kane
    www.pmkane.com

RIGHT! 8-) 8-) 8-) :v 8-)

Well, you, Paul just lost my trust.
    RIGHT! 8-) 8-) 8-) :v 8-)

Well, you, Paul just lost my trust.

I would suggest, with respect, that you refrain from making comments about this issue and let the people involved sort it out between them.
    YNWA 97
    Well you may have lost faith in Paul But from his actions I think he's a stand up guy. He not only contacted me but we also settled up.
    I echo what he said about chalking this up as a learning experience. It was an honest mistake, that anyone could have made. Thanks Paul for clearing the air. I'll remove the pictures.
    Thank you, Roy . . . I am very glad we got this cleared up and hope that we can work together again sometime . . . Your talent knows no bounds and I can't wait to see what you do next!

-pmk