The Spy Who Humiliated Me

Its usually the star wars and star trek fans who get labelled as geeks and outcasts for their fanaticism, but I was wondering if your interest in the Bond films has ever caused you any embarrassment or other noteriety? A quick story to get things started:
I was married two years ago, in the same Church where my wife and I grew up and met. At the time, I was Assistant Principal in the local Catholic school and my wife a teacher in another area school. The point is, we were very well known in the neighborhood an our Wedding ceremony was attended by a packed Church, many of them family and students who came to see their teachers tie the knot. I, of course, had my groomsmen wear traditional black bondlike tuxs, and I did the same. The priest, a young man of 35 and a longtime friend, got up at the pulpit and announced to this packed church of many youngsters--"This is the first time in history Phil has a legitimate reason to run around playing dress- up as James Bond, but I had to convince him to leave the toy gun at home" The Church roared with laughter, knowing what he meant. If you watch the video, my face was beat red---and the kids (and my wife) never let me live it down.

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Man, did he roast you good! :))

My wife never lets me live down the fact that I was having a scuffle with Sanchez in my sleep. She says I elbowed her so she just got up and watched until I had calmed down...But the kicker was; as she tells her family, co-workers and close friends of ours during certain occasions, is that I did it all in a classic Roger Moore impression. She even went to say that after the fight, I had the presence to straighten my "invisible" tie but I think she added that one on for good measure. :))

I swear I don't remember any of it...but there was a TBS Bondathon on the tube the week of. :D
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • BondlikeBondlike Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    ha ha good one rogue, i love it.
  • VroomfondelVroomfondel Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    XD

I can't say that I've ever done anything Bondlike that caused me embarrassment, although a friend of mine has taken the sneaking around with the gun a little too far; he was sneaking around his house with a sticky-dart revolver when he heard the computer shut down (rather loudly). He jumped and slammed himself into the wall, adopting a wall-hug pose with the revolver held in two hands and ready to fire at anything that moved. :))
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    XD

I can't say that I've ever done anything Bondlike that caused me embarrassment, although a friend of mine has taken the sneaking around with the gun a little too far; he was sneaking around his house with a sticky-dart revolver when he heard the computer shut down (rather loudly). He jumped and slammed himself into the wall, adopting a wall-hug pose with the revolver held in two hands and ready to fire at anything that moved. :))

You sure he wasn't trying to emulate T.J. Hooker? :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Well, congrats to whoever has done something Bondlike. What did I do??? I look like Bond. :D
  • VampiressRNVampiressRN CaliforniaPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    Why just today I was in a meeting and several doctors were talking about how to give a certain medication to a baby and someone said something about shaken and I muttered "yes, shaken not stirred" and nobody got it. Obviously no Bond fans in that room. 8-)
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Love your signature Vampiress, Fatima is one of my favorite henchwomen!
    Thanks....I think she was the best female villian...so eager to kill, and her outfits were just as flamboyant as her character. :x
  • JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    Nothing really embarrasing, but once, when buying
    a diamond necklace for my girlfriend, the jeweller asked if I knew anything about diamonds.
    I quoted Connery in "Diamonds are Forever."
    "Hmmm. Hardest substance found in nature, cuts glass, suggests marriage, and I suppose have replaced the dog as a girl's best friend." That got a smile fromthe jeweller and laughter from the young couple behind me. That was the first and so far only time I've been able to use a Bond line in public.
  • spymx5spymx5 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    many years ago I attended a function at New Yorks "Waldorf Astoria" with my girl friend ,we were both under age to drink but when the waiter came around for the drink order,I ordered a vodka martini,then another and another.this was the first time I ever had one.I don't remember leaving the hotel.:-)
  • C_WalkenC_Walken Posts: 125MI6 Agent
    haha these are great so far...

lets just say one night my toilet broke in my apartment (at college) and i needed to go somewhere, it was around 12 at night, so i snuck into the school building, with my ipod on the "james bond theme" i got in, unnoticed by any janitors..did my business- as i left i snuck from class room to class room to avoid a few jaitors who were in the hallways cleaning up, just for kicks i guess- i doubt i would have gotten in trouble... but the best was - because i put the them back on... as i left the room the music built to the classic DO DO DO DO..

it was amazing lol
    Thanks....I think she was the best female villian...so eager to kill, and her outfits were just as flamboyant as her character. :x

Thought they are similar, I take Xenia Onatopp any day. HOwever, back to the topic. I have never been humiliated by my Bond obsession ever before, and I have made quite alot of frieds through it.
    Mmm... I love Fatima's outfits! Better than Xenia's if I do say so myself, the huge pants, the huge red hat. All that red... just seductive and what about her vampiress cape she wore to the party? Fatima's not just evil... she's EVIL!
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    People always make fun of me because of my huge Bond obsession. But I don't care, at least I know that I am much coller than they are. I've used Bond lines every now and then, but they are always unnoticed.
    You don't care LET IT BE
    To get mixed up with
    A man named Nightshooter
    May be big trouble but then...
    I just could be
    the AVTAK fan to take you
    and make you be a big Bond fan AGAIN.
    Jade.....good one....that would have had me laughing. :))

This is a great topic, thanks for starting it Bondlike. I am going to try to pay more attention to opportunity knocking for me to make a fool out of myself in the name of Bond. -{
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2006
    My Bond obsessiveness has never really interfered with my life because I'm the kind of fan who internialises my obsession, rather than externialising it. That is, I am more likely to spend an extreme amount of time on this site or evaluating, in my head, each of the Bond films. Dressing up and quoting dialogue in public doesn't interest me. That's not to say that my obsession is entirely private. I once wrote a letter to a newspaper about an article (suggesting Hugh Grant should play Bond) that infuriated me. Two or three years ago, I left a University tute feeling quite upset that the tutor had insulted Bond. And not so long ago I became quite depressed when I learned that my best friend hates Bond (don't worry, our friendship is as strong as ever, we just don't talk about Bond!)
    So now, I really only discuss Bond with those who might be interested (such as this site) or my parents who don't mind hearing about Bond because they know how much I love it. For example, I subjected my father to a 'doom and gloom' rant about CR and whenever TWINE is on TV, I always get my mother to watch the final scene. In conclusion, because my Bond obsessiveness is more of an internal thing (thinking about the films, watching the films, reading about and discussing the films) and because I only discuss Bond with those who are not completely disinterested, it doesn't really interefere with my life. Except for when newspaper columnists write ridiculous/offensive articles about Bond. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Jade.....good one....that would have had me laughing. :))

This is a great topic, thanks for starting it Bondlike. I am going to try to pay more attention to opportunity knocking for me to make a fool out of myself in the name of Bond. -{
    no problem--i have thoroughly enjoyed reading these stories---any type of public display of bond fanaticism, whether humiliating or not.
  • TraceyVTraceyV Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    I wrote a Bond book and carted it around the school with me, this random girl started reading it and was like
    "What the *%$ is this?"

Yeah I am a geeky sort, obsessed with things like James Bond and Harry Potter
    Bosh Tracy, thats not bad. I made a book too, took it to school, and used it for a Spanish project. I then got alot of people saying I look like bond, which I don't. :D
  • ATrustATrust Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Yesterday, a colleague leaving work said by IM she was picking up her child, would have a relatively boring evening, and urged everyone else to "have a vodka martini." I replied, "Shaken, not stirred?" She totally didn't get it. Sigh.
    Yeah...what is up with that ATrust....I just don't get it. That is like theeeeee most famous Bond line. The people that don't respond to that line must be BRAIN DEAD. X-(
  • TraceyVTraceyV Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    yeah I know my story wasn't embarassing I just posted it because it was the best I could come up with.

Unforunately no one said I looked like a Bond Girl lol-{-{
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    I actually submitted a fan film as my wild west project in 10th grade U.S. History. "James Blonde was sent to Wyoming from London to investigate a heavy cattle theft in the film _Golden Y_." The movie was horrible. I'm actually ashamed to watch it. But I loved making every minute of it.
    But....I'll bet if you have a martini "shaken not stired" and watch it with a fellow Bond fan, it will truly be a treasure. -{
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    Some friends recently bought me my first medium dry vodka martini. I must say, the chemical afterburn was a surprise that I could learn to get use to. What I did NOT expect was to be so trashed off it so quickly. Bond must've been training his system for a while on those things to be able to put them down without flinching or getting completely wasted.
    Indeed--on my 21st birthday my friends bought me a few vodka martinis , my first LEGAL drink---I remember very little else from that evening.
    Agent Wade wrote:
    Some friends recently bought me my first medium dry vodka martini. I must say, the chemical afterburn was a surprise that I could learn to get use to. What I did NOT expect was to be so trashed off it so quickly. Bond must've been training his system for a while on those things to be able to put them down without flinching or getting completely wasted.

Well, he did have a bad liver as was said in TND. {[]
    ....and don't forget to "eliminate all free radicals" after a heavy martini night-{
  • Ice Station 0Ice Station 0 Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    Just because I'm on a buying binge to find all the Fleming books in hardback and that I have all the original James Bond theme songs on my Ipod does not mean I'm fixated on him!