Favorite Theme Song

What is your favorite theme song for a movie?

Personally, I'm torn between about 5:

From Russia With Love by Matt Munro
A View To A Kill by Duran Duran
The Living Daylights by a-Ha
GoldenEye by Tina Turner
Tomorrow Never Dies by Sheryl Crow

My favorite comes out of these, and it really depends on my mood. When I am in a charged up mood or need a really boost, I will play A View to A Kill and The Living Daylights. When I am in a semi-depressive mood, I will listen to Tomorrow Never Dies constantly. When I'm in a very "Bondian" mood (sort of a "dangerous" mood, I guess), I will listen to GoldenEye.

I can listen to From Russia With Love really until the day I die. I guess this would have to be my favorite overall. i

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    The "James Bond Theme" itself. If forced to pick a vocal number, then YOLT or DAF.

(Shouldn't this be in the music forum?)
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Picking a favorite Bond theme is like picking a favorite star in a peaceful night. Anything by Dame Shirley Bassey would probably be my favorite though. (also moving this topic to the music forum)
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    -A view to a kill is definitely my favorite theme song, duran duran nailed this one, great bondian sound and lyrics.

-Others are close, such as Goldfinger, YOLT, MR, and Living Daylights

-Basically i enjoy all of them except TMWTGG, ATH, and DAD is by far the worst
  • Alan_moreAlan_more UKPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    Not forced at all to pick Diamonds are Forever!
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    AVTAK is the best theme song. Duran Duran got it.

Goldeneye is like the modern Goldfinger.

Goldfinger IS Goldfinger.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    AVTAK is the best theme song. Duran Duran got it.

I'm getting nauseous just agreeing with JFF but he's right...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Oh Rogue, is it THAT painful to agree with me. I've agreed with you before!
  • 00Goldeneye00Goldeneye Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    The Living Daylights that's my favorite, though I do enjoy A View To A Kill, as well Live And Let Die, and uhh.. I kind of enjoy Never Say Never Again, it's not bad, really, but I'd Stick With The Living Daylights. -{
    I like NSNA's theme song too! I like the start of it and it's really not a bad theme song, its jazziness is good.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I think AVTAK deserves alot of credit. Also, Nobody does it better is a favourite of mine.
    Oh Rogue, is it THAT painful to agree with me. I've agreed with you before!

Of course not. Just reiterating my anti-NSA stand. :D

• Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I will stick with classic Goldfinger, love that song. From the modern era, I will take License to Kill. I like the lyrics, for example:

"Say that somebody tries to make a move on you
    In the blink of an eye, I will be there too
    And they better know why I'm gonna make them 'em pay"

It does bug me though that someitmes it seems she is saying License to Kilt.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Separating the Bond Theme from the rest, I have to go with Live and Let Die.

But I enjoy them all---even the worst of them has grown on me with the passage of time. :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    1. Nobody Does It Better
    2. A View to A Kill
    3. Moonraker
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. Goldfinger
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Another very underrated theme song:

The World Is Not Enough by Garbage

The music is quite modern, and I think it does a great job of adapting a Bond feel to modern style. I think the darkness of the song and the softness of the verses really represents and complements the mood of the film and its themes quite well.

I tend to be a big fan of the more modern songs (with the exception of Die Another Day, which was just a pathetic turn by Madonna) and less so of the older songs with the exception of FRWL, which I find to be quite romantized and a pleasant listen every time. I just don't hear what everyone else hears in Goldfinger, for example: I actually find myself somewhat annoyed by Bassey's songs. I really don't like Live and Let Die: it seems quite disjointed to me. TSWLM is ok. FYEO is terrific, but it's a more love ballads, and I don't have a particular liking for love ballads.

I do like "Underneat the Mango Tree" and "We Have All The Time In The World," although these are not technically theme songs.
    Another very underrated theme song:

The World Is Not Enough by Garbage

The music is quite modern, and I think it does a great job of adapting a Bond feel to modern style. I think the darkness of the song and the softness of the verses really represents and complements the mood of the film and its themes quite well.

I, too agree that this is a beautiful song that doesn't get much praise on most Bond sites...

• BasiliskBasilisk Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    The theme for OHMSS is still my favorite of all time. When they reprise it during the ski chase it just seems like it helps propel the entire sequence.

Though it's not a theme my favorite song next to the 007 theme is "Twisting with James". Anyone else dig this track as much as me?
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Basilisk wrote:
    Though it's not a theme my favorite song next to the 007 theme is "Twisting with James". Anyone else dig this track as much as me?

I like the DN soundtrack. Although it contains a lot of material that is not in the film, it does contain a lot of great Jamaican flavor. "Twisting with James" is a good track, but my favorite from that soundtrack has to be "Dr. No's Fantasy."
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • BeyliitahBeyliitah Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    AVTAK & TLD
  • ShankennotstirredShankennotstirred Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Thunderball by Tom Jones
    A View To A Kill by Duran Duran
    OHMSS

The actual Bond theme kicks ass over all off them to be fair. Also really like Moby's Bond theme.
  • Count DookuCount Dooku ParisPosts: 18MI6 Agent
    1. The World Is Not Enough
    3. The Man With The Golden Gun
    2. Thunderball
    4. Goldeneye
  • ldavelewisldavelewis Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Thunderball and YOLT are great themes, but only one song can be the greatest and it is undeniably GOLDFINGER. A great song, movie or no movie, sheer brilliant Barry masterpiece. Never gets old or loses an iota of pure power. This is genius, friends and no movie theme comes close as pop perfection.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    You Only Live Twice.John Barry's OHMSS theme is great too.
  • I never missI never miss EnglandPosts: 47MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Basilisk wrote:

I like the DN soundtrack. Although it contains a lot of material that is not in the film, it does contain a lot of great Jamaican flavor. "Twisting with James" is a good track, but my favorite from that soundtrack has to be "Dr. No's Fantasy."

That's interesting - up to this point I haven't bought the DN soundtrack because I always felt that the score sounded very dated in a way that John Barry's scores (FRWL onwards) did not. Perhaps on your recommendation I'll see if I can pick it up.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    My four favorite theme songs are Goldfinger, Live and Let Die, The Man With the Golden Gun and Nobody Does it Better. From a purely instrumental standpoint, my favorites are the James Bond theme and On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • AlucardAlucard Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    1.A VIEW TO A KILL
    2.THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    3.DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Interesting to see Lulu's MWTGG theme proving popular.I think it has dated somewhat,not unlike the plot of the film with its topical energy crisis themes.I saw Lulu on the telly the other day and she still looks great.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    The Bond themes are so great that it's difficult to separate them. If pressed, I would saymy favourite is GF. But, at least in my top five there is nothing between them. Here is my top five though.

Goldfinger - A quintessential classic. My favourite part is the finale where it just gets brilliantly lively and loud and so, so awesome. And Bassey's voice is just great. I hear she nearly passed out after holding that final note. It was shear brilliance.

We Have All The Time In The World - IMO one of the best songs ever written. I can listen to it again and again and again. Not the type of song I usually listen to but it is so beautiful. There is a genuine warmth in the way Louis Armstrong sings it.

Live And Let Die - A fantastic theme. I just love the orchestral 'chorus'. It is so fast paced and exciting. I just love it played at high volume.

Nobody Does It Better - More pure magic, and Carly Simon was great with this song. I'm always preffered the more fast paced title songs, but I make an exception here!!

The Man With The Golden Gun - I'm probably in a party of one with this song, but I do like it and I think it does work within the context of TMWTGG. It wouldn't suit a Connery or a Dalton film, but it goes well with Roger Moore's Bond, partuclary in this film.
  • DSG1986DSG1986 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    My favorite theme is A View to a Kill by Duran Duran. Just an awesome song. I also love Nobody Does it Better by Carly Simon, that song is just pure beauty.
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    Mine top 5 would be:

1.FRWL
    2.TWINE
    3.TLD
    4.AVTAK
    5.GF