Re: Music Tastes

I often think I actually don't have a *music taste* - simply because there's no one genre I'm really into per se.  With the exception of death metal, trance and hip hop (50 Cent style), and even at that there's a fair few artists/tracks I can pick out, I'm pretty much into anything.  Whether it be Classic FM to soothe away the Glasgow M8 jams, cheesey pop crap, hard rock, garage, indie... I've got anything an everything on my iPod and having it on Shuffle can produce some seriously weird combinations.

However, best gig I've ever been to, hands down, was the inimitable Grace Jones, 3 years ago, in Glasgow's Barrowlands.  As a casual listener of her stuff, I went along more for the experience (she is infamous, after all) and for the reason she was in a Bond film.  But she blew us all away.  Simply an electrifying presence, completely and utterly bonkers in an OTT diva stylish way (particularly when she grabs your arm and swings you about screaming "DANCE!!!").  And coupled with Sly & Robbie live, the Parisian-Jamaican beats on Libertango were just breathtaking - I'd never have thought.

Last edited by Moonraker 5 (6th Oct 2006 20:48)

http://media.open2.net/flags/unitedkingdom.png

Napoleon Plural wrote:

So which album would represent the nursery slopes for early listeners...?  ajb007/wink

Depends. Two different sort of Slipknot fans. Old School fans and fans of the newer material.

Older stuff like the self titled album is more metal, heavier and grittier.

Iowa is my personal favourite album. It's an underrated masterpiece. Listen to a few songs, see if you like.

They only have three big selling albums, Slipknot, Iowa and Volume 3. You aren't too far behind to become a fan!

My tastes jump all over the dial pretty much. I have no true loyalty to one or the other:

Classical
Jazz
Classic R&B
Classic Rock
Alternative
Some Country

Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
-Batman: The Brave & The Bold -

I just saw the incomparable Alice Cooper in concert last night---a sold-out affair in an intimate 2,000-seat auditorium at the local university.  I'd never seen him before, but I'd heard about his live shows, and I wasn't disappointed.  He's still the quintessential showman---smart enough to surround himself with very talented young musicians.  His daughter, a dancer and obviously very talented in her own right, played the female foil in many of his classic stage antics.  When Alice is 'decapitated,' she's the one who shows off his disembodied head to the crowd, which roars its approval in a manner surely not unlike audiences of ancient Roman coliseums...

Yeah.  It was a blast.  ajb007/cool  If you can't appreciate this guy, you're missing out---metal, glam, horror-theatre and comedy, all rolled into an intoxicating two-hour show. 

My ears are still bleeding, 24 hours later  ajb007/cheers

ADDENDUM:  I'm a rock n' roll man, first and foremost---Beatles, Bowie, Stones, Kinks, Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Yes...and those are just the first ones I can think of...all Brits  ajb007/confused

...and the Doors, Kiss, Cheap Trick, REO Speedwagon, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Van Halen (early stuff), Black Crowes, Ramones, Talking Heads, Neil Young, Frank Zappa, U2, Elvis, ad infinitum...

Newer stuff:  I'm enjoying Velvet Revolver, Queens of the Stone Age, Jet, The Killers...

"Yeah, you know you gotta help me out..." - from the last scene of The Matador; 'All These Things That I've Done'  ajb007/cool

Plus classical, blues, real country...sadly, there's much more music than there is time to enjoy it...

Last edited by Loeffelholz (7th Oct 2006 08:53)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Alice Cooper should have been on my list, how could I neglect the quintessential performer? This blemish on my behalf calls for a quick smack on the knuckles, Sister Stigmata style.

Thar must have been a blast, Loeffe, ajb007/cheers I'm a little bit green with envy right about now - haven't been to a really good show in about a year.

Alex wrote:

Alice Cooper should have been on my list, how could I neglect the quintessential performer? This blemish on my behalf calls for a quick smack on the knuckles, Sister Stigmata style.

Thar must have been a blast, Loeffe, ajb007/cheers I'm a little bit green with envy right about now - haven't been to a really good show in about a year.

He's still got it...that's the advantage of being ugly all along---old age doesn't do any real harm  ajb007/lol

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller

Loeffelholz wrote:
Alex wrote:

He's still got it...that's the advantage of being ugly all along---old age doesn't do any real harm  ajb007/lol

I like Alice, too and saw a "homecoming" concert of his in high school at a place called Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix (his hometown). The concert was somewhat notorious in its day for heavy drug doings. But Alice puts on quite a show.  Years later I was nearly run over by Alice one time (just kidding).  I was walking down a street in front of a golf club in Phoenix when who should come to a stop at the edge of the driveway than old Alice himself at the wheel of a Corvette. It was kind of funny seeing him exit a place full of old guys in plaid pants, but he is a golf nut.

Y'know, HH, not all golfers wear plaid pants...

Loeffelholz wrote:

...that's the advantage of being ugly all along---old age doesn't do any real harm

ajb007/lol ajb007/lol ... That would make a fabulous signature!

As for Alice ... love him but dont really like his music ( apart from 3 songs) so it just goes to show how far showmanship can take you.

love the Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Barry/bond music (of course!), Gorrilaz, a band called Death Cab for Cutie (reminiscent of the beatles), Coldplay, Goldfrapp,Black Sabbath, Queen, Alice Cooper,Frank Sinatra, and almost
everything else, except:

I hate: Country and Rap (I like some rap)

Nightshooter wrote:

Y'know, HH, not all golfers wear plaid pants...

They do at this particular club ajb007/lol Believe me, I worked there for a while as a kid. That's what was so strange about seeing Alice. Surely there had to be a place with a younger, hipper crowd.

Really? Wow. That is pretty hilarious. You need to start hanging out at some cooler golf clubs.

I like the Beatles, Boston, Moody Blues, America, Geoff Byrd, The Killers, John Mayer, Goo Goo Dolls, and Queen.

Lady Rose wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

...that's the advantage of being ugly all along---old age doesn't do any real harm

ajb007/lol ajb007/lol ... That would make a fabulous signature!

Thanks, Rose.  If Craig is still doing Bond in ten years' time, I might very well avail myself of it  ajb007/shifty

Lady Rose wrote:

As for Alice ... love him but dont really like his music ( apart from 3 songs) so it just goes to show how far showmanship can take you.

Actually, if you gave some of his more obscure stuff a chance, you might like him.  There's more to him than heavy metal and stage blood; his songwriting is wry, biting and sardonic. 

I highly recommend his newest CD, "Dirty Diamonds," to everyone.  Great rock and roll, a bit of social commentary, and a couple of good laughs.

Last edited by Loeffelholz (9th Oct 2006 04:50)

My music tastes are wide and diverse, The Beatles and John Barry being my favourites (grew up with them).  When I've a little more time I'll try and list my other musical interests.

It's nice to see that Alex is also (like myslf) a fan of Tom Lehrer, who I was introduced to many years ago on Radio One, when one of the dj's (can't remember which one) had a "fun at one" spot.  Managed to get hold of two 10" albums.  Another interest from the "fun at one" days is Spike Jones - my father had a 78 I went to your wedding for years (a gift from my mother's brother), got a few of his cds since (and some vinyl).

A fellow Lehrer fan, cheers, Mark.

I owe my father for the introduction. Unfortunately mom couldn't stand the politically incorrect performer. On the other hand I couldn't get enough

We didn't have many common interests, so it was really nice to listen to The Elements Song or Poisoning Pigeons In The Park together; it was a terrific bonding aide! ajb007/martini

Last edited by Alex (9th Oct 2006 14:53)

I also love Tom Lehrer. When I was much younger, my father used to sing I Hold Your Hand in Mine when we were driving. I think it's a brilliant song (like most of his work) and still get a big kick whenever I listen to I Hold Your Hand in Mine or Poisoning Pigeons In The Park. ajb007/biggrin

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Dan Same wrote:

I also love Tom Lehrer. When I was much younger, my father used to sing I Hold Your Hand in Mine when we were driving. I think it's a brilliant song (like most of his work) and still get a big kick whenever I listen to I Hold Your Hand in Mine or Poisoning Pigeons In The Park. ajb007/biggrin

I may have misjudged Stromberg, anyone who likes Tom Lehrer can't be all bad! ajb007/cheers

Alex wrote:

I may have misjudged Stromberg, anyone who likes Tom Lehrer can't be all bad! ajb007/cheers

Thanks. ajb007/lol

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Has anyone else been enjoying Sam's Town, the new Killers release? I'm loving it.

I went to see Steve Reich at the Barbican last night. Any other fans here? Don't know much about him - a friend invited me along, but I'm a convert.

Lovely girl on the cello...

Just listening to some new music tonight on a recommendation from a friend. Just wondering if anybody else has heard of a group called Porcupine Tree? I bought two of their albums tonight. I'm currently listening to In Absentia and have to listen to Deadwing later. So far I'm very impressed. Not hard rock, but not soft rock either. I wouldn't even call them Alternative. If any one else listens to them please give more info. I'm guessing they're from the U.K. but not sure. Also, if anybody knows other good albums by this group, please post here. Thanks!

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

Im totally out of touch with contemporary music
the last new records I remember buying were Portishead, FSoL and The Orb   

I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd, especially those "rare/live" type recordings 
some other progressive rock: Pothead Pixies-era Gong, Robert Wyatt, Kate Bush, Hawkwind, Gabriel both with and after Genesis, Discipline-era King Crimson, Eno, vintage Bowie
various longhaired American Beatnik types: the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Patti Smith 
funk and soul: especially Parliament-Funkadelic
Sly Stone, Curtis Mayfield, Stevie Wonder
old jazz: Satchmo, the Duke, Billie, Bird and Diz, Monk, Miles, Trane, Mingus
and The Goon Show

Last edited by caractacus potts (15th Oct 2006 16:46)

Elvis :

Oh I wish I was , in the land of cotton
old times were soon forgotten
Look away , look away , look away...Dixeland *sing it fellas*

Glory , glory....halle-luu-u-ja !

So hush little baby , don't you cry
you know your daddys bound to die

ajb007/frown

I love The Smiths most of all, and then The Stone Roses and The Sex Pistols. I quite like Nick Drake. I also have a nostlagic fondess for obscure nineties Britpop groups like Marion and Strangelove.

My favourite artist and group is Queen. After that comes Led Zeppelin and Nickelback. My favourite solo artist (and second favourite artist after Queen) is Alanis Morissette.

Other artists that I really like include ABBA, Missy Higgins (a amazing young Australian female artist), Robbie Williams, Guns 'N Roses, Midnight Oil, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Christina Aguilera, Pink, Green Day, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, The Who and The Beach Boys.

The truth is however that there are many artists of whom I like only one song, or perhaps many songs, but whom I wouldn't necessarily see in concert. The only artists whom I would truly want to see live are Queen and Alanis Morissette. Other than that, probably Led Zeppelin and Nickelback, but considering that I'll never see Queen in concert (they stopped touring in 1986, the year I turned 4), my one musical dream is to see Alanis Morissette live. But much to my annoyance, she hasn't toured in Australia since I became a big fan of her. :'(

Last edited by Dan Same (31st Oct 2006 16:59)