Re: Thoughts on BMW

I think the Z3 is a fantastic looking car and that is why you see so many on the road.  When Goldeneye first came out they weren't all over the place.  But the car I think Bond should drive is the new two door Bentley.  Specifically the convertible Azure, now that is a great looking convertible.

I drive a used Z3 so I'm biased.  My wife thinks its a feminine car and says she only sees women and gay men driving them, but what does she know.  Any car good enough for Bond is good enough for me.

"A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department.  Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic.  He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars.  All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:

Im sure that Bond would still be popular without BMW, but the fact the advertising was heavy for BMW for TND and GE would have made some difference

My remark wasn't about whether Bond was or would continue to be "popular," certainly he is. But I don't think the audience for [i]GE might have been what it was were it not the the advertising blitz which attended that film. And a smaller turn-out for [i]GE I expect would have meant for a smaller budget for [i]TND, which itself would have then had a smaller audience ... and so on.

Id say something similar, but wont agree with you.  WIthout BMW helping out with costs the budgets would have been smaller.  I think MGM would have done enough promoting for the film to not need BMWs help.

Must as I liked the BMW I always loved the AM in Goldeneye.

PoorMansJB wrote:
heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:

Im sure that Bond would still be popular without BMW, but the fact the advertising was heavy for BMW for TND and GE would have made some difference

My remark wasn't about whether Bond was or would continue to be "popular," certainly he is. But I don't think the audience for [i]GE might have been what it was were it not the the advertising blitz which attended that film. And a smaller turn-out for [i]GE I expect would have meant for a smaller budget for [i]TND, which itself would have then had a smaller audience ... and so on.

I dont believe that the smaller budget had much to do with the advertising blitz on TND, that should have naturally happened after the success of GE, one of the reasons TND was Brosnans lowest (but still very high) box office pull was because it was released at the same time as titanic and TND was a **** movie.

Last edited by heartbroken_mr_drax (12th Oct 2006 20:06)

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

That should be Goldfinger ! duh !

Mr Goodnight wrote:

That should be Goldfinger ! duh !

It was in GoldenEye too...

http://media.open2.net/flags/unitedkingdom.png

Did that guy just "duh" his own post?

Even though I own a 1998 BMW 750 I believe that the car never quite fitted in with the viewers who love the extravagant non-discrete lifestyle of 007, it's more of a book-Bond, Dalton type of car. Kind of like the TLD Aston Martin which was also a somewhat discrete car when compared do Vanquishes, Z3s and Lotus Esprits.

Vantage Volante wrote:

Kind of like the TLD Aston Martin which was also a somewhat discrete car when compared do Vanquishes, Z3s and Lotus Esprits.

Hardly! It's a beast of a car- the closest thing we came to making a Mustang. Whenever an AMV8 passes me, everyone notices.
As you say; it's quite Book-Bond: a massive powerful and slightly brash GT; just like his Bentleys. The Vanquish was right too. The DBS is even better- the functional-looking spoilers make it much more suitable for Fleming's Bond.

Personally I don't think the DB5 really suits him, but it's kind of in the vein of his PPK- not the biggest but the most elegant.

Last edited by emtiem (20th Oct 2006 11:40)

The AMV8 in TLD was amazing, its my favourite aston in the whole series.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

emtiem wrote:

Hardly! It's a beast of a car- the closest thing we came to making a Mustang. Whenever an AMV8 passes me, everyone notices.

Agree with you there, the elegant V8 suited Bond perfectly. Cumberland grey, no Vantage shirts or spoilers and 16-inch cross spoke alloys. Among the most beautiful cars of all time. I have promised myself to buy one someday.  ajb007/cheers