New Interview with Craig- The Times

emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2099-2381828,00.html

Good, meaty stuff. Everyone'll be happy with this one: he's noted for his performance and presence is praised, so there's plenty to like him for, and he's also noted for swearing a lot and talking monotone so there's plenty to hate him for- for people that enjoy that! :)
It's a tricky interview and feels a bit spiky: I get the feeling the interviewer wasn't won over by him and perhaps isn't a Bond kind of person, but it lets you make up your own mind about him. He's not black and white.
And as a web-active Bond fan I still find it very awkward to hear him talking of going online and looking at what those nasty sites were saying at the time.

Plus he talks about Doctor Who, which is rather fun!

Comments

• highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    GREAT story. Balanced and objective, I think. It does seem to give a sense of what Craig is like (of course no one is really completely themselves when talking to the press: the situation is too extraordinary). A bit Connery-like, if you ask me, in that he's not the least bit touchy-feely. But I'm wondering if he's applying a lesson learned early on: that anything less than a macho pose (like the perfectly reasonable step of wearing a lifejacket when barreling through water in a pneumatic boat with Royal Marines or not caring much for guns) will get you tagged as a wimp. Then again with just a little more than a month before the moment of truth, he must be on pins and needles. Relax, Dan. You'll do fine.
    benskelly wrote:
    "Trademarked sphincter"??? The Times have turned our beloved gunbarrel image into an ass--le.

:(

Well, Em - you and I have found something to agree on. He does come off ornery and it's really more of the same. He may be a great Bond but I'm not sure I'd love years and years of this kind of "publicity". Granted he doesn't have to be all sunshine, but if you're going to be ****ed off all time then why even do the interviews?

You make a good point. Although to be fair, I have read several interviews where he seems to be in a good enough mood and talks with a lot of enthusiasm. I'll chalk it up to pre-release jitters/media exhaustion. But I would advise him that if he's going to be out of sorts, it's probably best to be that way with the Podunk Daily Bugle rather than the Times of London. I would also clean up my language for the occasion (Is that c*** what I think it is? 8-) I wouldn't use that one in a U.S. publication if I were him. He'd be better off using a 12-letter word starting with "m" than that one. I don't think using the dreaded "c-word" is as bad in the U.K. as it is here).

Ever notice that when an actor gets testy, it's almost always in a print interview, rarely TV?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited October 2006
    benskelly wrote:
    I still like his general sense of humor - and he's honest about dealing with all the negative reaction, which I like. He's not pretending to not be aware of it.

He talks about peeking at the internet, when the worst of the Anti-Craig stuff was at its zenith, and says, "I had a dark couple of days." Yeah; no s**t.*

Encouraging that the boycott site wasn't mentioned by name; just a passing reference to AKB's famous photo comparisons.
    Another bit of significant interest (for me) is Barbara Broccoli's talking about Craig's screen presence; his ability to maintain 'the upper hand' in the scene where Mads Mikkelson's Le Chiffre thwacks him with a carpet beater. The interviewer follows up on this with Craig:

"How did he pull off that torture scene she admired? How did he make Bond, naked, come out the winner while baddies whacked his genitals? 'I just got myself angry. Bond thinks he's going to die. It's his last shout.'"

:007)

Also of note is the revelation that we will actually see a bit of blood this time round---for which I'm glad. Seeing people get shot and just fall down, as has been the case in the last few, always serves to remind me that I'm only watching a movie. I welcome a bit of viscera, however limited in scope. :v It was described in the script, but I'm relieved to see that it has survived production and post-....

* A bit of profanity, in keeping with The New Guy's 'earthy' approach to media relations :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    Why does every interviewer cut right to his worst possible fears? You'll never win an Oscar for this, and your career is probably ruined...so was it a good experience??? God. Craig will need an intravenous feed of anti-depressants by the time this film comes out.

What a stupid question asking them why they make more Bond films when they are already rich! 8-) Keepers of the flame...yeesh.

I'm embarrassed that of all Bond sites, CNB seems to leave such a lasting impression. It certainly isn't a rational representation of Bond fans. I'm sure he peeked in here and CBn as well...but still the fact he had some dark days will delight the CNBers to no end. I guess I would be cranky too if I read stuff like that about myself. Being Bond is definitely not for the sensitive and weak of heart.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Monique wrote:
    Why does every interviewer cut right to his worst possible fears? You'll never win an Oscar for this, and your career is probably ruined...so was it a good experience??? God. Craig will need an intravenous feed of anti-depressants by the time this film comes out.

:))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    Monique wrote:

:)) Exactly! I was thinking the exact same thing! Then the interviewer wonders why he doesn't like doing interviews!

And that was a very daft question to Barbara Brocolli too, "You're rich now, so why haven't you quit?" Maybe because they like making them? Maybe "just because"? I did like the interview, but I thought the interviewer was a bit of a pillock, to be honest.

It is embarrassing that the CnB thing has stuck. Particularly now that it's gone, it's sad that its foul stench is still lingering.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Eh, the press just doing their job, going for the headlines, which are usually negative. "Train makes it safely to the station" will never get the coverage that "Train smashes into brick wall" gets. Bond comes with baggage, and Craig has his particular flavor of it due to how and when he came to the part. I imagine this will be a non-issue during the press junket leading up to the release of Bond 22, but with a new and "different" actor and the reboot and all, it'll all get mentioned a lot, sure.

One thing I like about how Craig handles it, his responses seem to minimize it or at least not lend such negative questions any more credence, he comments on them truthfully and moves on. Water off a duck's back, like. Be terrible if he were obsessing on stuff like that, or over-analyzing it. Sounds like he can separate from it and go have a pint. {[]
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Interesting interview. I wasn't impressed with Craig's ridiculous answer to a perfetly innocent question (when he used the C word), the concluding paragraph about 1967's CR and some of the reporter's questions. But I was pleased to know that Craig would love to win an Oscar and he feels passionate about some of his acting work (if not CR.)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Goodness me; I actually find myself being less impressed by this interview than the usual teeth-gnashers! I've got to admit I wasn't that fond of the bit where he seems to say that all of the great work which he's been doing over the past many years has just been seen as a sort of means to an end: to become a film actor. The TV stuff was just to pay the wages? Fair enough, but hopefully he's not including Our Friends in there...
    I'm not against someone doing acting work for the money - it is a job after all- but he does seem to be a bit too casual about the great stuff he's done so far; and I think that frustrated the interviewer slightly as underneath this bluster it seems like Craig actually is passionate about what he does. You've got to be to do that well, haven't you? Perhaps he was just in a mood that day.
    And yeah; I do like the Oscar admission. Why the hell pretend you don't want to win one? He is ambitious and now he's got to where he wants to be he isn't finished yet; and he's said in other interviews how he wants these Bond films to be fantastic. I do like his honesty and I'm not sure what's wrong with his answer to the rather pointed 'do you think an actor can an Oscar for Bond?'.
    edited October 2006
    benskelly wrote:
    I've read several interviews with him where it sure sounds like HE brings up his reticence to take the role because of what it could do to his "serious" acting career. I think a lot of these interviewers are just following up on things he's said before and the general Hates-The-Bond-Circus vibe about him. He talks about turning the role down at first, really having serious doubts, some friends of his telling him not to do it - so yes, the press will definitely pick at a scab. But if he seemed happier, dare I say thrilled, at the prospect of playing Bond, then it wouldn't be an issue.

I know what you're saying- I don't think he's really shown any doubts over it, in so much as the press thinking it's a good question to ask him. It is a surprising choice for an actor like him and they've just decided to make a story out of that surpise rather than any real doubts. Obviously he considered the ramifications of taking the role; who wouldn't? I think since they started shooting (beforehand I don't think he'd really prepared himself for the role and so couldn't actually answer too many questions about it; I'm sure it frustrated him taht he was supposed ot be talking about his previous films at the time too!) he hasn't shown anything but serious passion for the character and for making a great film. He's no raconteur and I can't see an after-dinner speech career for him in the future, but he certainly seems as passionate as he could be for the film and for the role.
    emtiem wrote:
    I do like his honesty and I'm not sure what's wrong with his answer to the rather pointed 'do you think an actor can an Oscar for Bond?'.
    You don't have a problem with him saying “No, I don’t think you can get an Oscar for Bond. You know the right question to ask an actor, you c***!”? ?:)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Dan Same wrote:
    You don't have a problem with him saying “No, I don’t think you can get an Oscar for Bond. You know the right question to ask an actor, you c***!”? ?:)

No problem whatsoever.

I think his honesty and humour shine through in that line alone.
    YNWA 97
    edited October 2006
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    I do like his honesty and I'm not sure what's wrong with his answer to the rather pointed 'do you think an actor can an Oscar for Bond?'.

No of course not. Why would I? He's showing how he much he wants an Oscar and how every actor with ambition is vulnerable to that question- what's wrong with that? It's a pretty idiotic question designed to provoke a response because Craig is a good actor on an Oscar trajectory and these journos want a response saying hes regretted his decision to take what they see as the money path rather than the critical appreciation and credibility path.
    emtiem wrote:
    Goodness me; I actually find myself being less impressed by this interview than the usual teeth-gnashers! I've got to admit I wasn't that fond of the bit where he seems to say that all of the great work which he's been doing over the past many years has just been seen as a sort of means to an end: to become a film actor. The TV stuff was just to pay the wages? Fair enough, but hopefully he's not including Our Friends in there...
    I'm not against someone doing acting work for the money - it is a job after all- but he does seem to be a bit too casual about the great stuff he's done so far; and I think that frustrated the interviewer slightly as underneath this bluster it seems like Craig actually is passionate about what he does. You've got to be to do that well, haven't you? Perhaps he was just in a mood that day.

That sort of struck me as odd, too. And out of character, to boot, for someone who elsewhere has fretted about not being able to get certain parts if he became James Bond. If anything, from reading other interviews, I would have pegged him him as one of those actors with a capital "A," with some of that pretentiousness the Times writer mentions in the piece -- which comes with the territory. So I think you're right about him being in a little bit of a funk that day. It's a little too bad it had to be for a Times guy, that's all.
    But, if I'm feeling anxious about CR's opening and the general public's reaction to it, I can imagine how he must be feeling right now. After some of the stuff that's been said and written about him, the success of the film must mean even more to him than it would otherwise.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    What caught my eye was the statement that Barbara Broccoli speaks with an English accent. Errr, I've seen her interviewed before and I've seen all her contributions on the Bond DVDs, and she sounds far more California than GB. Has Babs gone to the Madonna School for Fake English Accents or something?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Ashenden272Ashenden272 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    This was an interesting read. It tries to be balanced but it's actually got a bit more negativity to it. One of the first things the interviewer describes about Craig is that "His lunchtime performance is more like one of 007’s dull-eyed enemies than Bond himself."

Oh great...when you're selling a Bond movie, you (the Bond actor, especially one who is appearing in the role for the first time) had better come across as Bond to the public and the media. The impression of this interviewer--that Craig doesn't seem like Bond--is almost an echo of the scoop over at Moviehole concerning the (alleged?) screening of CR, where supposedly the reaction was that “Craig ain’t no James Bond” (http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060914_gossip_monkey_150906.html).

Michael G. Wilson's comment is bizzare: "But then, perhaps worried about selling tickets," the interviewer explains, he [Wilson] added: 'We are still entertainment...We are trying to make it a PG film.'"

PG? If this true, then this film will be a light version of whatever intention the filmmakers had about making a so-called dark, gritty, intense Bond film.

Then there's Craig's line that "Potentially, you cheapen your brand if you do this [the Bond role]." Granted, I don't blame him for taking the role; obviously, it's a great pay day. But this kind of line implies (even if it wasn't his intention) that he doesn't respect the Bond role.
    edited October 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    No of course not. Why would I? He's showing how he much he wants an Oscar and how every actor with ambition is vulnerable to that question- what's wrong with that? It's a pretty idiotic question designed to provoke a response because Craig is a good actor on an Oscar trajectory and these journos want a response saying hes regretted his decision to take what they see as the money path rather than the critical appreciation and credibility path.
    It may be an idiotic question but I don't think that justifies Craig giving an incredibly offensive and misogynystic response. The fact that Craig had to resort to a response like that shows me that he has no idea of what constitutes common decency. I'm not a prude (I am still angry at my local TV station for cutting the swear words from Pulp Fiction ;)), but in this situation, not only do I think that his response was unwarrented but IMO it was completely unacceptable.

Plus, Craig needs to learn that as the new James Bond he will be asked alot of 'idiotic' questions and how he answers them will affect what the general public thinks of him. It is unlikely that CR will lose box office because of that offensive response, but if I were Wilson, I would arrange for Craig to be given a lesson in public relations before he turns off the public in the way that Tom Cruise has.
    edited October 2006
    Michael G. Wilson's comment is bizzare: "But then, perhaps worried about selling tickets," the interviewer explains, he [Wilson] added: 'We are still entertainment...We are trying to make it a PG film.'"

PG? If this true, then this film will be a light version of whatever intention the filmmakers had about making a so-called dark, gritty, intense Bond film.
    Plus, it is possible to make an entertainment that isn't rated PG. ;) After all, most of my favourite films wouldn't be rated PG. :D
    Then there's Craig's line that "Potentially, you cheapen your brand if you do this [the Bond role]." Granted, I don't blame him for taking the role; obviously, it's a great pay day. But this kind of line implies (even if it wasn't his intention) that he doesn't respect the Bond role.
    Agreed. That is one of my ongoing annoyances with Craig. I'm not asking him to be the world's biggest Bond fan but can't he at least pretend to express an interest in Bond or understand why other people might be so interested in Bond?
    Oh great...when you're selling a Bond movie, you (the Bond actor, especially one who is appearing in the role for the first time) had better come across as Bond to the public and the media. The impression of this interviewer--that Craig doesn't seem like Bond--is almost an echo of the scoop over at Moviehole concerning the (alleged?) screening of CR, where supposedly the reaction was that “Craig ain’t no James Bond”

Doesn't the interviewer keep saying that Craig is trying (possibly too much) to be like Bond, in a macho casual manner? I think that was the interviewer's problem- that he's too much like Bond; not that he's not Bond enough.
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    It may be an idiotic question but I don't think that justifies Craig giving an incredibly offensive and misogynystic response. The fact that Craig had to resort to a response like that shows me that he has no idea of what constitutes common decency.

Oh right- it's just the word c*** that upsets you. I've no idea how you've decided he's 'misogynystic' from that, though. A rather bizarre accusation.

Fact is, swearing like that -in good humour- just shows you're passionate about the subject you're talking about. I'm not sure how it shows that you hate women...
    Dan Same wrote:
    That is one of my ongoing annoyances with Craig. I'm not asking him to be the world's biggest Bond fan but can't he at least pretend to express an interest in Bond or understand why other people might be so interested in Bond?

Eh? All he's done is talk passionately about making this film great and showing his understanding of the role; from why he wears expensive suits to why being a double 0 means being able to make tough decisions rather than just killing people. In his last interview he said how good CR was how much better he wanted to make Bond 22. I'm puzzled as to where you're perceiving this lack of interest- the same place you saw his apparent hatred of women?
    benskelly wrote:
    The last thing I want to do is get into a whole US/UK semantics thing again - had enough of that, thank you - but the "C word" has a vastly different meaning on this side of the Atlantic and is not tossed around casually. I know men call men that over there, but not here. It does have a misogynistic meaning here.

Oh okay- I think I've seen it used in US things in the same way you might call someone a 'pussy'; to suggest someone is being a little unmanly/pathetic. Is that right?
    edited October 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    Oh right- it's just the word c*** that upsets you. I've no idea how you've decided he's 'misogynystic' from that, though. A rather bizarre accusation
    Not just. It's a horrible word. Anyway I actually never said that he is misogynystic. Perhaps he is, perhaps he isn't. I do know that the c word is very misogynystic and if he were to say that here in Australia he would get in alot of trouble. Personally I find it bizarre that you would have no problem with him using a word like that.
    emtiem wrote:
    Fact is, swearing like that -in good humour- just shows you're passionate about the subject you're talking about. I'm not sure how it shows that you hate women...
    I don't think it is in good humour and nor do I think that it shows passion. Rather I think it shows that Craig has absolutely no idea of how to speak in public and to the media. I don't have a problem with swearing as of itself (although I do think that Craig should tone it down) but I do have a problem with the use of the C word. I don't like it and I don't think that Craig should use it. I find it to be an incredibly offensive word and it is one of several words which I never use under any circumstance. I don't think that Craig should be using it either. Plus, the question that he was asked wasn't that bad. It was a silly question, but he has been asked worse and he will be asked worse, and he needs to learn how to answer the questions in a decent fashion.
    emtiem wrote:
    Eh? All he's done is talk passionately about making this film great and showing his understanding of the role; from why he wears expensive suits to why being a double 0 means being able to make tough decisions rather than just killing people. In his last interview he said how good CR was how much better he wanted to make Bond 22.
    Perhaps you're seeing things that I'm not because the only time I ever saw him express real passion was when he was talking about Our Friends in the Northand working with Michael Gambon.
    emtiem wrote:
    I'm puzzled as to where you're perceiving this lack of interest- the same place you saw his apparent hatred of women?
    I never said he hated women. However using that word does suggest that he is either disrespectful of women or completely unaware that the way he would speak to his friends is not the way to speak to the media.
    edited October 2006
    benskelly wrote:
    Not really, no - I've only heard it used in that context once between some hardcore gamblers/card players. And only when that guy is beating you, lol. Mostly it's just the ultimate insult for a woman. And a man who calls a woman that is very much suspect himself. In that way, it's like the "N"-word. It just reeks misogyny.

Right- it's nothing like that here. It is the strongest one there is pretty much and you generally don't say it around women, but its use doesn't really refer to women: it's just a very strong version of b*****d etc. It doesn't show any kind of hatred of women or anything else anybody's determined to read into it; just that someone feels strongly about something.
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Oh right- it's just the word c*** that upsets you. I've no idea how you've decided he's 'misogynystic' from that, though. A rather bizarre accusation
    Not just. It's a horrible word. Anyway I actually never said that he is misogynystic. Perhaps he is, perhaps he isn't. I do know that the c word is very misogynystic and if he were to say that here in Australia he would get in alot of trouble. Personally I find it bizarre that you would have no problem with him using a word like that.

It's strong but it's only a word. We're all grown up; I think I can take it.
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Eh? All he's done is talk passionately about making this film great and showing his understanding of the role; from why he wears expensive suits to why being a double 0 means being able to make tough decisions rather than just killing people. In his last interview he said how good CR was how much better he wanted to make Bond 22.
    Perhaps you're seeing things that I'm not because the only time I ever saw him express real passion was when he was talking about Our Friends in the Northand working with Michael Gambon.

You said it was an 'ongoing annoyance'; meaning you've had for a while and therefore before this interview. I was talking about previous interviews. No one interview gives you the whole picture.
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    I'm puzzled as to where you're perceiving this lack of interest- the same place you saw his apparent hatred of women?
    I never said he hated women. However using that word does suggest that he is either disrespectful of women or completely unaware that the way he would speak to his friends is not the way to speak to the media.

Obviously as it's upset you so much you're right- he shouldn't speak to the media like that. It obviously upsets some people. I think calling him mysogynistic is a touch strong though- like calling someone who uses the mild swearword 'bloody' a blasphemer: the root of the word isn't really applicable. I'm not sure you'd be able to cope if you had to work on a building site! :)
    edited October 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    Really? Would you mind if I called you a f***** English ar******? I wouldn't because it would be incredibly offensive and although I may feel frustration at some of the things that you do, I would express my frustration in a mature way. The same thing with Craig. Using the c word is incredibly offensive and he should learn to speak in a mature manner. Plus, it's not just a word. There are certain words and phrases which I think are so disgusting that they trancend mere language; the c word is one of them.
    emtiem wrote:
    You said it was an 'ongoing annoyance'; meaning you've had for a while and therefore before this interview. I was talking about previous interviews. No one interview gives you the whole picture.
    He's inconsistant. I can't remember every interview that he gave, but while in some, he did express interest in CR (if one can call it that), generally he came across as someone who might have liked CR's script but didn't really express the level of interest that I would have liked. (I'm not saying that he has to jump up and down in excitement but he could at least express a bit of passion.) I have to say though that this is an old issue. In that particular interview, I was more concerned about the use of the c word, some of the questions asked and the concluding paragraph.
    emtiem wrote:
    Obviously as it's upset you so much you're right- he shouldn't speak to the media like that. It obviously upsets some people. I think calling him mysogynistic is a touch strong though- like calling someone who uses the mild swearword 'bloody' a blasphemer: the root of the word isn't really applicable. I'm not sure you'd be able to cope if you had to work on a building site! :)
    Two things:

One, I think using the c word is a little worse than using the word 'bloody'. Perhaps it is different in England, but here in Australia the word bloody is considered to be perfectly okay while using the c word is not. I often use the word 'bloody' but I have never and I will never use the c word. It is an incredibly offensive word, and as Benskally pointed out, many people find it enormously offensive. As for the root of the word, well, trying using the c word in front of an American or Australian woman and see where that takes you. ;)

Two, this isn't a building site! It's a newspaper interview! My god, can't you see the difference? It does not matter at all wether people use the c word at building sites; you do NOT use it in an interview. Perhaps that's the problem; Craig thinks he is on a building site or something. Em, I am not saying that he should act prim and proper, all I am saying is that in an interview he should not use the c word (and perhaps should tone down his language). Why is that so unreasonable?
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Really? Would you mind if I called you a f***** English ar******? I wouldn't because it would be incredibly offensive and although I may feel frustration at some of the things that you do, I would express my frustration in a mature way. The same thing with Craig. Using the c word is incredibly offensive and he should learn to speak in a mature manner. Plus, it's not just a word. There are certain words and phrases which I think are so disgusting that they trancend mere language; the c word is one of them.

Well if you called me that you'd be being unpleasantly nationalistic; which would be extremely uncalled for. Good thing that sort of thing doesn't come to your mind.

C*** is a word; it's a strong word, but just a word nonetheless. Some people swear. And when you tickle them on their achilles heel, they might swear a bit more.

Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    He's inconsistant. I can't remember every interview that he gave, but while in some, he did express interest in CR (if one can call it that), generally he came across as someone who might have liked CR's script but didn't really express the level of interest that I would have liked.

That's pretty inconsistant of yourself- just above you said he never showed any passion at all. Which suggests you've not read many of the recent interviews; all he's shown has been a deep desire to make this film work and an innate understanding of the character.
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Two things:

One, I think using the c word is a little worse than using the word 'bloody'.

You're just making up your arguments again- where did I say they were the same strength? Did my point entirely pass you by?
    Dan Same wrote:
    Two, this isn't a building site! It's a newspaper interview! My god, can't you see the difference? It does not matter at all wether people use the c word at building sites; you do NOT use it in an interview. Perhaps that's the problem; Craig thinks he is on a building site or something. Em, I am not saying that he should act prim and proper, all I am saying is that in an interview he should not use the c word (and perhaps should tone down his language). Why is that so unreasonable?

Seriously- read what I wrote. Here; I'll copy and paste it for you: "Obviously as it's upset you so much you're right- he shouldn't speak to the media like that." So why do you think I find it unreasonable?
    I didn't say this was a building site- my point was that in real life people swear, and in some places they swear a lot. Yes, Craig is in the wrong environment to swear here (although clearly is able to reign it in when he's doing a video interview); my jocular worry was that if you were to venture to an environment where swearing is de rigour you might find it hard not to cope. It was a joke.

I just can't get upset about swearing. Sorry; but they're just words. I can tell the type of guy he is with this swearing and I can tell how it's intended; and it's just someone who's been in environments where swearing isn't considered that offensive. As you say- he's not there now and needs to watch in print interviews. And he clearly doesn't mean it as aggresively as your (thankfully not real) tirade against me as he's never met the chap before.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Well I regularly call my mother a c****, is just the way we behave in England. Maybe it's different in America.

With regards the rest of it, I'm surprised no comment on Babs and Mikey, with their PR spiel: "We're awful, we're control freaks" as the always slightly hysterical sounding Babs puts it.

Maybe it was cross purposes, the interviewer tries to get onto Craig's good side by bringing a play along he was once in, instead Craig smells a rat that he's going to be depicted as a worthy luvvy, too high and mighty for all this.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Maybe it was cross purposes, the interviewer tries to get onto Craig's good side by bringing a play along he was once in,

That was a bit odd, wasn't it? Sort of makes him look like a weird stalker or someone who's after an autograph! :D

I do wish the interviewer had said what he thought of the preview clips he saw. Even if he's not keen on Bond films as a journalist he should be able to tell if it's been well executed or not.
    edited October 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    Well if you called me that you'd be being unpleasantly nationalistic; which would be extremely uncalled for. Good thing that sort of thing doesn't come to your mind.
    It is uncalled for, just as Craig's use of the c word was. That was my point.
    emtiem wrote:
    C*** is a word; it's a strong word, but just a word nonetheless. Some people swear. And when you tickle them on their achilles heel, they might swear a bit more.
    It's NOT just about swearing. Perhaps you'll never understand, but the c word is considered by many people to be among the worst words in the English language.
    emtiem wrote:
    You're just making up your arguments again- where did I say they were the same strength? Did my point entirely pass you by?
    I never make up arguments. What do you call "like calling someone who uses the mild swearword 'bloody' a blasphemer"? But even if you don't think they are of the same level, the fact that you constantly imply that the c word isn't a big deal obviously means that you think that it and most other swear words are of a similar strength.
    emtiem wrote:
    Seriously- read what I wrote. Here; I'll copy and paste it for you: "Obviously as it's upset you so much you're right- he shouldn't speak to the media like that." So why do you think I find it unreasonable?
    I don't know, the fact that we are having this discussion? ;)
    emtiem wrote:
    I didn't say this was a building site- my point was that in real life people swear, and in some places they swear a lot. Yes, Craig is in the wrong environment to swear here (although clearly is able to reign it in when he's doing a video interview); my jocular worry was that if you were to venture to an environment where swearing is de rigour you might find it hard not to cope. It was a joke.
    Well, I guess I didn't get the joke. ;)
    emtiem wrote:
    I just can't get upset about swearing. Sorry; but they're just words. I can tell the type of guy he is with this swearing and I can tell how it's intended; and it's just someone who's been in environments where swearing isn't considered that offensive. As you say- he's not there now and needs to watch in print interviews. And he clearly doesn't mean it as aggresively as your (thankfully not real) tirade against me as he's never met the chap before.
    For the 1000th time, I will simply say that I don't have a problem with swearing; the c word however is different. Benskally mentioned the n word. Well, many people consider the c word to be just as sexist as the n word is racist. Look, why don't we agree to disagree because you will obviously never understand that many people consider the c word to be overwhelmingly offensive and just as offensive in fact as my so-called tirade.
    Dan Same wrote:
    Look, why don't we agree to disagree because you will obviously never understand that many people consider the c word to be overwhelmingly offensive and just as offensive in fact as my so-called tirade.

Dan, I've said again and again that I know and agree it's just about the strongest swearword, and I've addressed the meaning behind it with our little 'bloody' skirmish which you failed to understand. It's a shame you can't respect my opinion on it in the same way that I've respected yours and agreed that he shouldn't use it in interviews.