8. Sin City
7. Old Boy
6. Road To Perdition
5. Blade
4. Spiderman
3.Batman Begins
2. Superman
1. X-Men 2

Why BATMAN didn't make this list is beyond me. ?:)

http://www.empireonline.com/features/comicbookfilms/
Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
-Batman: The Brave & The Bold -

Comments

• arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Surely Spiderman 2 was better than the original. Ditto Blade II. Where is Superman IV:The Quest For Peace?
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    These kinds of lists are always very subjective. One man's masterpiece is another man's garbage.

I would have definitely picked the 1989 Batman and even Batman Forever over Batman Returns. I would have also recognized the 1966 Batman movie as it did quite accurately reflect the tone of the comics at that point in time.

For me, the 1978 Superman would be #1. The 1989 Batman and Batman Begins would also be near the top of the list.

I don't know that Constantine, Ghost World, Akira or Old Boy would even make my list as they're not really my kinds of movies. Also, I know I'm in the minority, but I think Marvel's Spiderman and X-Men movies are overrated and really don't hold up to repeated viewings.

Danger Diabolik is a worthy inclusion, but where's Jane Fonda's Barbarella?
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I, for one, would place Spiderman 2 at the top. Not sure Hulk merits a spot in the top 20 though. If necessary, bump Hulk and replace with The Rocketeer IMO.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    I may be in the minority but how come The Phantom & The Shadow weren't considered is pretty puzzling to me.

Cosmetically The Shadow was pretty much dead-on.

shadowmovie.jpg

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent
    theres some notorious stinkers on that list
    I woulda made Mystery Men no 1
    and The Mask should be on there somewhere, preferably infinitely higher than Ang Lee's Hulk
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    It is unforgivable that Spiderman 2--probably the best comic book movie ever made--is nowhere on the list, and that the godawful Constantine made it. And what about V for Vendetta? Who put this list together--a bunch of manatees?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    you know what I liked better than many of those was the fleischer superman cartoons from the early 40s
    but I guess they were 20 minute cartoons, if not shorter, so by definition they dont count

I think comic book superhero movies in general are usually letdowns on two fronts:
    1. they almost never capture the charm of the comic book
    this is partially the problem of these characters being corporate properties, already redefined by hacks repeatedly over the decades
    but it may just be impossible to make a film look, for example, like the way Steve Ditko draws
    and
    2. such films embody the worst aspects of modern lazy hollywood filmmaking: all CGI and loud explosions and musclebound prettyboys who cant act
    the character interactions from the source material are usually the first thing to be jetissoned
    TonyDP wrote:
    where's Jane Fonda's Barbarella
    forgot about that one! that one was awesome
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    How can Road To Perdition be considered a comic book? I thought it was a Stephen King novel. And A History Of Violence , again. That was a comic book also?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Mr Martini wrote:
    How can Road To Perdition be considered a comic book? I thought it was a Stephen King novel. And A History Of Violence , again. That was a comic book also?

Stephen King had nothing to do with Road to Perdition--it's a graphic novel written by Max Allan Collins (I don't know who illustrated it, though). Likewise, AHOV is also a well-received graphic novel. Of course, I'm now wondering why Dick Tracy is on the list, since it's a newspaper comic strip and not a comic book!

And, sorry, but I think Mystery Men doesn't belong. It has a couple of funny bits, but, otherwise, ugh. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited October 2006
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Of course, I'm now wondering why Dick Tracy is on the list, since it's a newspaper comic strip and not a comic book!

Well, H.B. I have an early 1940s issue of Dick Tracy in my possession; it happens to be the oldest comic book in my entire collection and in pretty good shape I might add. So yes, Tracy was in more than just newspapers.

Just like the Bond craze of the 60s, apparently Chester Gould's character prospered from the same type of success in the 30-40s. According to my grandfather, Tracy was on everything. :)

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:

Stephen King had nothing to do with Road to Perdition--it's a graphic novel written by Max Allan Collins (I don't know who illustrated it, though). Likewise, AHOV is also a well-received graphic novel. Of course, I'm now wondering why Dick Tracy is on the list, since it's a newspaper comic strip and not a comic book!

And, sorry, but I think Mystery Men doesn't belong. It has a couple of funny bits, but, otherwise, ugh. . .

Thanks for the explanation HB! I just realized a mistake. When I typed out the post I had The Green Mile on my mind. Why I got it confused with Road To Perdition I'll never know.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    It is unforgivable that Spiderman 2--probably the best comic book movie ever made--is nowhere on the list, and that the godawful Constantine made it. And what about V for Vendetta? Who put this list together--a bunch of manatees?

Even though I agree with most people about spidey 2 and the other batman, I love Constantine (not the book, just movie).
    edited October 2006
    Hardyboy wrote:

Even though I agree with most people about spidey 2 and the other batman, I love Constantine (not the book, just movie).

I, too think that Constantine is a good movie; it's just that its top 20 ranking is debatable.

I do like the comic a little better though I'm not a month to month guy with the title.

• ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    1st TMNT & Batman MotP should've been mentioned...
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    PB, I too love Constatine.

My major problem with the list is that X-Men 2 made number 1. :o Not only are there arguably numerous comicbook movies which are superior but I would hesitate to put any of the X-Men films (although fun) in the top 10. I mean, Batman didn't make the list yet X-2 made number 1. ?:)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    But where's Batman and Robin? :s

This list is quite strange, and I query the criteria used for assessment. For what it is worth, this is my top ten:

1) Batman Begins (2005)
    2) Spiderman 2 (2004)
    3) Batman: The Mask of Phantasm (1993)
    4) Sin City (2005)
    5) Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker (2000)†
    6) The Incredibles (2004)‡
    7) Akira (1988)
    8) Batman (1989)
    9) Spiderman (2002)
    10) Superman (1978)

† The unedited version.
    ‡ As so many of the pictures on the list are *inspired* by the original character and not based on a specific graphic novel, I'll do a stretch and contend that Pixar's great fun The Incredibles is inspired by DC's Doom Patrol (a four member superhero team with a character named 'Elastigirl'). :)
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    But where's Batman and Robin? :s
    I hope you're kidding. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    I mean, Batman didn't make the list yet X-2 made number 1. ?:)

Right, Dan. Clear evidence that this article had to have been written by a 12 year old. No offense to 12 year olds... ;)

Look for Frank Miller's 300 to crack this list very shortly.

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    In defense of the X-Men movies, I felt they did an excellent job capturing the 'feel' of the comics, particularly the Claremont/Romita era...X-men 2 moreso than the original.

As far as graphic novels go...Road to Perdition is good. What about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
    darenhat wrote:
    What about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Great graphic novels, a so-so movie. For me at least, it gets worse with wear.

• arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    'The League Of Extraordinary Gentleman' (both volumes) are amazing and my favourite graphic novels ever alongside 'Watchmen' and 'The Dark Knight Returns'. I haven't seen the film but it looked like it had bugger all to do with Alan Moore's book in tone and atmosphere.

Does anyone remember The Flash tv film and series? I watched a bit of that a few years ago and it wasn't bad.
    I never understood how Alan Moore,
    a comics writer who demanded and was allowed uunprecedented creative control over his work while at DC,
    allowed his stories to be so completely *******ised by these hack fimmakers
    those guys made it near impossible for me to convince people they might want to try reading From Hell or Extraordinary Gentlemen
    I didnt even see V For Vendetta cuz a the stinktastic precedent of those two movies
    was it any better?
    edited October 2006
    I never understood how Alan Moore,
    a comics writer who demanded and was allowed uunprecedented creative control over his work while at DC,
    allowed his stories to be so completely *******ised by these hack fimmakers
    those guys made it near impossible for me to convince people they might want to try reading From Hell or Extraordinary Gentlemen
    I didnt even see V For Vendetta cuz a the stinktastic precedent of those two movies
    was it any better?
    I actually really enjoyed From Hell. I agree that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is junk but not about From Hell. Also, you should see V For Vendetta. Although flawed, it's terrific.
    I forgot all about FROM HELL. That was an Alan Moore book? That one slipped passed me but I enjoyed the movie.

I read From Hell before the movie came out, and I completely understand why Moore was dissatisfied with it. The producers seemed to do everything contrary to what Moore and Eddie Campbell did: the graphic novel makes the Ripper's identity known from the start in order to explore his psyche and motives, but the movie of course turns his identity into a mystery; the graphic novel makes the inspector a dumpy middle-aged man with limited romantic possibilities, but the movie casts Johnny Depp as the inspector and hooks him up with Heather Graham; and the graphic novel deals with a dazzling array of theories, philosophies, and metaphysical anecdotes surrounding the Ripper and Victorian England, and the movie is pretty simple in comparison. To me the movie was a standard Jack the Ripper story, lacking the oomph and originality of the Moore-Campbell work.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited October 2006
    From Hell was a collaboration with Aussie cartoonist Eddie Campbell that took years to complete
    first serialised in Steven Bissettes transgressive horror anthology Taboo but continued after Taboo came to an end
    I think it was Tundra or some small 90s publisher, reprinted the Taboo chapters as a very irregularly published series of minitrade paperbacks, and continued for another half dozen issues
    each issue had several pages of annotations, where Moore would cite his sources or else confess some bit was just included to make the FreeMasons look extra-evil
    it took bloody years to complete, I remember the issue where The Ripper thinks hes killing the last girl in her apartment didnt get into Canada for months cuz of the graphic gore (its basically several dozen explicit pages of a surgeon removing internal organs while muttering Masonic rituals to himself)
    once done, it was collected into a phonebook size volume which is not all that expensive
    if youre an Alan Moore fan its essential, its one of his key works

one big difference from the movie:
    the detectives not an opium addict, hes a very cleanliving workingclass conservative type
    and you know in Moores version of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Quatermain isan opium addict

I picture in the development stage Sean Connery saying "theres no damned way Im going to play an opium adict" then Johnny Depp saying "well can my character be an opium addict then cuz I like playing drug fiends!"
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I may be in the minority but how come The Phantom & The Shadow weren't considered is pretty puzzling to me.

Cosmetically The Shadow was pretty much dead-on.

I forgot about that one; somewhat uneven story but the look was 100% perfect, as was Alec Baldwin's laugh. It definitely would have come in over some of the selections from the list.
    'The League Of Extraordinary Gentleman' (both volumes) are amazing and my favourite graphic novels ever alongside 'Watchmen' and 'The Dark Knight Returns'. I haven't seen the film but it looked like it had bugger all to do with Alan Moore's book in tone and atmosphere.

I've never been a big fan of Alan Moore; I must be the only person on the planet who never read Watchmen. I've tried several times but can never remain interested to see it thru. On the other hand, Moore did write what is probably my favorite Supeman story ever: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrw? This was the final Superman story before John Byrne essentially rebooted the book in the mid-80s. Moore was pretty much given free reign and crafted a tale wherein Superman's secret identity is finally revealed and he is forced to make a desperate last stand at the Fortress of Solitude as he tries to protect his friends. He pulls out all the stops (even Krypto the Superdog is in it and has one of the most moving panels in the book) and the ending is sad, happy and poignant all at the same time.
    Does anyone remember The Flash tv film and series? I watched a bit of that a few years ago and it wasn't bad.

I saw it and even used to have the pilot movie on laser disc. It wasn't bad as you say, but I think it suffered from trying to be too much like the 1989 Batman movie, right down to Flash's musclebound costume, which of course is 180 degrees opposite of the slender, athletic build the superhero sported in the books, and Mark Hamill's Joker inspired Trickster. Ironically enough, Hamill would later voice the Joker in the Batman animated shows.
    I'd love to see someone take another stab at doing The Shadow again. IMO, the mistake was making the picture a tad on the cheesy side and not dark enough to the extent of...Begins?

I still cherish it though. :)

Just a side reminder, I was watching Ultimate Avengers last night on Cartoon Network and the commercial for the upcoming Hellboy series will be airing next Saturday. I will be watching it but I think that the subtext for this material is better suited for HBO or some other adult-based channel and not a kiddy-friendly network. Just an opinion.

Re-assessing this list, I have to wonder why The Crow isn't on it? I enjoyed that film much better than Constantine.

edited October 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Re-assessing this list, I have to wonder why The Crow isn't on it? I enjoyed that film much better than Constantine.
    Yeh, that puzzled me as well. The Crow is fantastic and is arguably superior to several of the films (X-Men 2, Mystery Men, Batman Returns, Hulk) that did make the list. A strange list. 8-)