Rodney in DAF????

When I was watching Diamonds Are Forever, I noticed that the lead thug who meets Bond at Vegas airport in the hearse is playsed by someone very familiar - I couldn't place him at first but then it occured to me that this henchman, who later throws Plenty out of the hotel room window and says "I didn't know there was a pool down there", tried (and failed) to kill Scaramanga at the start of the Golden Gun mission three years later? I don't remember the guy dying in DAF, so feasibly they could be the same character, do you think? When Blofeld's lat scheme failed, he went freelance, not forgetting his mob roots, before finally being employed by Nick Nack to kill Scaramanga

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    The actor in question is the late great Marc Lawrence, who specialized in playing gangsters. I hate to say it, crawfordboon, but you're not the first person to come to this conclusion; and it certainly isn't unreasonable to think that he is the same character.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • PUCCINIPUCCINI Posts: 70MI6 Agent
    And he did it great I must say...
    first he recieved a knockout from Bond in DAF
    and then a golden bullet was placed on his forehead...

rest in peace dear Marc Lawrence, you were one hell of a character in both Bond films...
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Check out Johnny Apollo with Tyrone Power. Lawrence is a heavily scarred, dark hoodlum, supreme.
  • The Home SecretaryThe Home Secretary Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Lawrence made his whole career out of playing hoods, from Abbott and Costello's Hold That Ghost to Marathon Man.

Incidentally, the big dumb thug is Sid Haig, who more recently appeared in the delightful The Devil's Rejects.{[]
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Talking about Marc Lawrence? Count me in.

Check out Lawrence in a small role in Key Largo (1948) playing Edward G. Robinson's gangster pal.

Also (and this should interest Bond fans) Cloak and Dagger (1946) a good spy film starring Gary Cooper and directed by Fritz Lang.
    I ABSOLUTELY recommend this one to anyone interested in a pre-Bond spy film.

Special note: There is a fight between Gary Cooper and Marc Lawrence that IMO is one of the greatest fights ever seen before the heights of Bond/Grant in FRWL. A sensational bit of action for 1946. (I kid you not).

"I didn't even know there was pool down there."