Sudden Moments of Clarity

jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
I just watched the first twenty minutes of TB on ITV4 (if I carried on I would have watched it to the end and been knackered in the morning!). As I watched, two things occurred to me:

1) All the even numbered SPECTRE agents (Largo, the absent Boitier, the French number 10) are sat on Blofeld's left, while the odd numbers (Brit number 5, the frazzled number 11) are sat on the right.

2) You can see the DB5 outside Shrublands in the establishing shot.

I've seen this film dozens of times, on tv, on a video I taped off the tv, on a pan & scan video, off a widescreen video, on a Special Edition DVD, on an Ultimate Edition DVD... and suddenly I was seeing this for the first time. A similar thing happened a while back, and I posted it on the "Huh?" thread; all of a sudden I understood the infamous "two of a kind" scene in Octopussy.

It amazes me that I can have seen these films a hundred times, and yet I'm still finding new things out (in between saying the lines along with the actors). Anyone else had a sudden instance where they spotted something they'd never seen before?

P.S. On a related note; what does Mademoiselle La Porte say as she gets in the Aston Martin? It sounds like a mass of comedy French noises to me...
Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart

Comments

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited October 2006
    Sorry, jetset...can't help you with the French at the moment, but I had my own moment of clarity while watching that scene the other day: It always disturbed me that when we see Bond and the French agent looking through the back window, the DB5 looks pretty bad. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but the car is covered by dust and debris from the landing of the jetpack! This is perfectly acceptable now that I put the two together, but before I couldn't understand why Bond's car was so filthy! ;%
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Sorry, jetset...can't help you with the French at the moment, but I had my own moment of clarity while watching that scene the other day: It always disturbed me that when we see Bond and the French agent looking through the back window, the DB5 looks pretty bad. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but the car is covered by dust and debris from the landing of the jetpack! This is perfectly acceptable now that I put the two together, but before I couldn't understand why Bond's car was so filthy! ;%

i always thought the same, until recently too!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    GF being my favorite I've completely lost count the number of times of seen it. Still, I'd sat through it quite few times before I noticed on separate ocassions that:

1) ... aboard Goldfinger's jet (not sure about the rest of the film), Pussy wears gold nail polish; I have this growing list of subtle "gold" placements throughout the movie.

2) ... as Bond and Pussy exit the hanger on arrival at Bluegrass, they pass a hand cart stacked with bottles of Delta 9 nerve gas.
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    i always thought connery wore a black polo shirt in goldfinger breaking into the swiss factory and waking on the plane...not until the dvd did i see its a black shirt under a tight black v neck sweater...later copied by roge in tswlm but with that huge tasteless collar
    edited October 2006
    Realized this for the first time last night...

In the opening sequence of TLD, as the runaway truck plummets off the side of Gibralter, Dalton purposely smashes through the window with this foot. For some reason, I always thought this was the window he escapes from, but his chute deploys through the back of the truck. The purpose of smashing through the window was to create a gust that would catch the chute behind.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Great thread, jetset!

I too have always wondered what Mlle. La Porte says...no clue here.

I just finished watching OHMSS for the jillionth time and only just noticed that Che Che, Toussaint and Raphael are sitting at Draco's birthday table with Bond, Draco, Tracy and Olympe. I should have realized it, because it's Toussaint who first spots Tracy when she arrives at the bullring, but I never made the connection.

I also only just noticed that it's a Draco Construction site behind Gumbold's office. I had always assumed it was purely an MI6 operation and cover. I kicked myself for never realizing that because it's such a "duh" thing in retrospect.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    delon64 wrote:
    i always thought connery wore a black polo shirt in goldfinger breaking into the swiss factory and waking on the plane...not until the dvd did i see its a black shirt under a tight black v neck sweater...later copied by roge in tswlm but with that huge tasteless collar

What??? I thought he had a black Polo neck on as well !
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Sorry, I understand every nuance in every one of the Bond films...or so I think :(|)
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I can't think of any at the moment, but I do have moments where I don't remember seeing a particular shot, even after aving watched the movie a dozen times.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Have you ever noticed that the 'spyhole' clock aboard Goldfingers plane, is also present in the 'rack' scene in Thunderball. You can even make out the hole :D
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    when you see bond and largo shooting skeet, their drinks are behind them on the ledge thingy, nothing really special but cool :)
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • BestBondSeanBestBondSean A Bavarian in CornwallPosts: 108MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    P.S. On a related note; what does Mademoiselle La Porte say as she gets in the Aston Martin? It sounds like a mass of comedy French noises to me...

Connery says something about "dressed for the occasion" after he lands, they put the jetpack in the boot and Mme La Porte says "Yes,very practical"
    Bond says "Quick" when she jumps in the car and she replies "Oui" if i'm not mistaken, then when the shield goes up she says "Vite".

I do remember having to watch Octopussy quite a few times before i was clear at any time who had which Faberge egg at any given time.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Yes, FYEO, when Bond and his ally are talking to Julian Glover at the rink. Kristatos shakes Bond's hand, and his ally, Fiji (?) extends his hand but K ignores it, either because he's preoccupied or just rude to a low ranker. Bond and F exchange glances and move on.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Yes, FYEO, when Bond and his ally are talking to Julian Glover at the rink. Kristatos shakes Bond's hand, and his ally, Fiji (?) extends his hand but K ignores it, either because he's preoccupied or just rude to a low ranker. Bond and F exchange glances and move on.

Yeah, I found that rude, but it was very subtle, wasn't it? Thanks, I never really thought about it before and now I take that as a clue to Kristatos' true nature at that point in the story, that he's not a friend afterall.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:

I think they also did that to cover up the lack of a hole for the bulletproof shield when Bond opens the boot, or something- I forget. There was a reason.

Quite as to how the DB5 got the reputation for being Bond's best car- the pile of junk doesn't start when Bond needs it!
  • ZachZach Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    I noticed recently while watching AVTAK, that the guy who gets thrown out of the blimp, stands right next to Zorin at the horse race. He's in plain sight, but I've never noticed it until recently.

I've also noticed that the exact same scream is used a lot from I THINK mr to tld. From what I can remember its in the PTS of MR, Gobinda in OP, Blimp guy, and I think Zorin in AVTAK, and Necros is TLD. I was watching OP, and then I thought the scream sounded familiar. From then on, I noticed it a lot. It's pretty funny actually.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Zach wrote:
    I've also noticed that the exact same scream is used a lot from I THINK mr to tld. From what I can remember its in the PTS of MR, Gobinda in OP, Blimp guy, and I think Zorin in AVTAK, and Necros is TLD. I was watching OP, and then I thought the scream sounded familiar. From then on, I noticed it a lot. It's pretty funny actually.

I noticed the same thing with plane engines in the exact same films. No matter whether it's Kamal's plane, the Moonraker plane from the PTS or the Hercules from TLD... It might be just my ears playing tricks, but I found the plane noises to be waaay too similar.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    Plus of course Stacy's 'quake monitoring PC makes the same noise as Stronberg's submarine super computer!
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    The Cat wrote:
    I noticed the same thing with plane engines in the exact same films. No matter whether it's Kamal's plane, the Moonraker plane from the PTS or the Hercules from TLD... It might be just my ears playing tricks, but I found the plane noises to be waaay too similar.

Amazingly funny seeing that such different engines would make totally different sounds. The moonraker planes a jet whereas the other two are propellers.

On thing that Ive noticed about the plane in TLD is that it often changes from 2 to four engines. Also Bond can't have been looking too hard for a place to put down when he lands in a very flat plain a few seconds later. Additionally, if they were running out of fuel, what was burning in the plane crash. But this is just me being critical of alot of goofs.

Also, The contact in Italy who Kristatos ignores is Luigi. And I have to say, that is the coolest of Italian names.
    Realising that Zurkovsky in TWINE, when asked what class his newphew is in the Navy he says "Shuka" it sounds like sure, thanks to subtitles!

They really make a difference! :D

"Better make that two."
    There is one moment of 'clarity' that alludes me, no matter how hard I look for it. Perhaps someone can enlighten me:

In GoldenEye, I'm assuming that each GoldenEye weapon can be fired only once, hence the constant concern that there was a 'second' one. But to this day, I hear nothing in the film that explains this to be the case.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    There is one moment of 'clarity' that alludes me, no matter how hard I look for it. Perhaps someone can enlighten me:

In GoldenEye, I'm assuming that each GoldenEye weapon can be fired only once, hence the constant concern that there was a 'second' one. But to this day, I hear nothing in the film that explains this to be the case.

My understanding of it is that the Severnaya project was secret to the Defence Minister and, by implication, the Russian government. The first Mishkin knew of it was when the satellite was fired. His concern, therefore, was not about the satellite he knew about - and which, presumably, he could control - but instead about the possibility the Russian military (under Ourumov, the head of the Space Division) had more of these weapons hidden up their sleeve.

At least that's my assumption - not sure if it's right or not (it could be another of those plot holes for which GE is infamous!)

@merseytart
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    taity wrote:
    Amazingly funny seeing that such different engines would make totally different sounds. The Moonraker planes a jet whereas the other two are propellers.
    The plane Bond gets pushed out of in the PTS of Moonraker isn't a jet, it's a twin prop.

There's a universal twisting of metal sound I've noticed. The cable car shreiking with tension and the Space Station breaking up in Moonraker, the sinking of Atlantis, the blimp pulling on the Golden Gate Bridge in AVTAK... They all make the same sound.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    The rope during the keel hauling sequence in FYEO and the rope on the Golden Gate Bridge both strain on the soundtrack in the same way... even though the first one is underwater!

@merseytart
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Okay, M5 you were right - it was a prop plane. One could argue that it wouldnt sound the same as a Hercules.

It's funny how limited the Foley artists were at the time.
    and the cables in the lift shaft of AVTAK are the same as every creaking metal in most of the ROGER bonds. Also the computer beeping noises.

They must have had one sound fx button that said "Metal Creak" lol :))

"Better make that two."
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    Okay, M5 you were right - it was a prop plane. One could argue that it wouldnt sound the same as a Hercules.
    No, it shouldn't, and given that Kamal Khan's plane was piston engined, it shouldn't sound like the other two either!
    darenhat wrote:
    They do explain how the GoldenEye works though - while in orbit it detonates in a nuclear burst, directing an electromagnetic pulse over a target area on earth. You're right in that they don't point out that it can be used only once, but maybe they thought it was obvious the satellite wouldn't survive an atomic explosion ;% {:)

Right enough, it proves Zorin's EMP-impervious microchips were bloody useless! :D
    unitedkingdom.png
    and the cables in the lift shaft of AVTAK are the same as every creaking metal in most of the ROGER bonds. Also the computer beeping noises.

They must have had one sound fx button that said "Metal Creak" lol :))

Oh! Those were the cables creaking! All this time I thought it was Roger Moore! ;%
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Oh! Those were the cables creaking! All this time I thought it was Roger Moore! ;%

No, Rog had a different creak:

Whooooah! Oaaaaah!

I don't know about you, but the clever sound editing totally convinced me Roger's hanging from a firetruck and gets a crotch-kick by an antenna. ;)
    The Cat wrote:
    darenhat wrote:

No, Rog had a different creak:

Whooooah! Oaaaaah!

I don't know about you, but the clever sound editing totally convinced me Roger's hanging from a firetruck and gets a crotch-kick by an antenna. ;)

Another moment of clarity! If CR is a prequel, then that explains how Bond could have survived the antenna swat to his jewels...it's the scar tissue! :p