james bond workout

does james bond lift weights on a regular basis to keep fit do u think? if not... what does he do to keep fit?

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    sex
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Yuk, yuk. Well, the movies don't really touch on what Bond does to stay physically fit (beyond showing him in training exercises), but Fleming's novels do. His routine seems to be pretty simple--in FRWL Fleming describes Bond as getting out of bed and doing all the slow push-ups and leg-lifts he can until his muscles start "screaming." Somehow, though, I think that Craig's Bond--with his washboard stomach and all--performs a much more "technical" workout, probably with equipment and trainer.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Watch Never Say Never Again or Thunderball, but watch NSNA because it shows him training more at the Shrublands.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    But in neither film (nor the novel) is Bond's Shrublands experience part of a normal workout: he's sent there because M thinks Bond's out of shape both outside and in.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I have a feeling MI6 would have a gym in it and Bond would go there several times a week. It would probably be mandatory for all agents to do so, similar to how in some of the stories they talk about Bond target practicing.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    I have a feeling MI6 would have a gym in it and Bond would go there several times a week. It would probably be mandatory for all agents to do so, similar to how in some of the stories they talk about Bond target practicing.

Good point. Unlike the "should Bond smoke" issue that deals more with social responsibility and the EON bottom line, a structured work-out regimen would seem manditory today for field agents who use plenty of physicality in the course of their work. If not manditory, any self-respecting professional would undertake such a routine from his/her own volition in light of how far physical fitness has come and how it has become so readily available to wider groups of people just like air-travel, becoming a lifestyle standard.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent
    Flemingwise, theres also a bit in LaLD
    Bond knows hes going to have to scuba dive through a coral reef to Mr Bigs island
    so he hires Quarrell to train him for a week in a beachhouse facing the island
    I'll have to look it up toget all the details, but he basically runs the length of the beach first thing every morning and swims back to the house
    and quits drinking and smoking for that week

he hires Quarrell as his trainer again in Dr No, using the same beachhouse,
    then finds out the beachhouse is on the property of an abandoned estate, and Honey Rider is the orphaned descendant of the original owners living in the ruins of the big mansion up the hill!

in OHMSS he realises he needs to train to do the big ski escape, so basically does a few kneebends

in YOLT he spends three days diving for shells with Kissy Suzuki before sneaking into Dr Shatterhands castle
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited November 2006
    One of my fondest hopes is that some future film (#22 or #23, hopefully!) will give us a taste of Bond's personal fitness regime---have Bond get out of bed...and drop to the floor to do rapid push-ups...cut to Bond doing sit-ups...cut to Bond doing one-handed push-ups...cut to Bond doing leg-lifts, his face red with strain...

Then, show a hand turning the shower knob to 'Cold'...cut to Bond standing in the shower...then cut to Bond having an excellent breakfast.

Total elapsed screen-time: One minute :007)

[the above is a dreaded 'Fleming' thing B-) ]

True, Bruce Wayne does it in BB---but Bond did it first :p Showing more of a variety of exercises---and spending a bit more time on it---would help draw a disinction between the two, I think, and would also go a long way toward showing us the fastidious side of Bond's nature...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    One of my fondest hopes is that some future film (#22 or #23, hopefully!) will give us a taste of Bond's personal fitness regime---have Bond get out of bed...and drop to the floor to do rapid push-ups...cut to Bond doing sit-ups...cut to Bond doing one-handed push-ups...cut to Bond doing leg-lifts, his face red with strain...

Then, show a hand turning the shower knob to 'Cold'...cut to Bond standing in the shower...then cut to Bond having an excellent breakfast.

Total elapsed screen-time: One minute :007)

[the above is a dreaded 'Fleming' thing B-) ]

That Fleming, what a nuisance! :)) Seriously, I'd love to see May serve up breakfast, ala Bond, complete with scrambled eggs (May shown earlier cracking speckled brown eggs from French Marans hens), toast with Jersey butter, Tiptree Li’l Scarlet strawberry jam, Cooper's Vintage Oxford marmalade and Norwegian Heather Honey from Fortnum and Mason, served on blue Minton china. :D
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    You're quite right about May, his Scottish treasure :007) What an excellent opportunity they have here, to do a lot of (admittedly small) things that would add to the richness of the character.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM