Borat

Is anyone else looking forward to this?

Personally, I can't wait. I think the character is absolutely hillarious.

Comments

• taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I can't wait until i see it, it looks bloody funny. I wanna see what the american reactions will be like - it seems as if the movies got a bit of opposition over there.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    I can't wait until i see it, it looks bloody funny. I wanna see what the american reactions will be like - it seems as if the movies got a bit of opposition over there.
    Not sure where you got that impression, taity. Those who have heard of Borat over here tend to find him pretty funny...unless, I suppose, they're the butt of his jokes.

The people Borat truly offends are the Kazakh government, who are aggressively marketing themselves in the US as a Western-friendly oil-rich spot for foreign investment. For them, Borat is an annoying distraction.

Personally, I think Sasha Baron Cohen is one of the most wildly inventive talents we've seen in a while. Between Borat, Ali G, and the gay Austrian fashionista (name escapes me) he has created some hilarious characters and sketches.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Ha, I wondered when id see this...one of the kids at my school dressed as Borat...he is hilarious...
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    I can't wait till' it comes out.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Borat has made two recent American appearances, first in the opening segment of the most recent Saturday Night Live (hosted by Hugh Laurie) and just last night on the David Letterman show. The audiences loved him--laughing, cheering, applauding, the whole nine yards. We get the joke, and we're poised to make the movie a big, fat hit. Universal Studios is so confident, in fact, that they've OK'd a Bruno film. Roll on, Borat!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    the gay Austrian fashionista (name escapes me) he has created some hilarious characters and sketches.
    Bruno, who is to be the focus of his next film, for which he's just signed a £22m deal...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6101578.stm
    unitedkingdom.png
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    There is program on Ch4 Tv 2night about 11' ish called Borat's Televison Programme. It's a repeat and is a collection of his skits that were in the 11'Oclock show and in the Ali G show. There are some Bruno sketches also. It's approx 1.5 hours long, so almost a movie !
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I have HBO, but I've never seen the guy. I love the trailer though. I'll definitely check it out.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    He also was the french nascar driver in Talladega nights - well, we wont hold that against him
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but this evening I got a call from my ol' Dad, who still lives in Arizona. He was a little panicky (and still amused) to report he just realized that about three months ago Borat--and his film crew--appeared at the Pima County Republican Club, which my Dad usually attends. He doesn't know if any of the PCRC stuff made it into the final cut, but if it does, you know that Hardyboy pere is somewhere there!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Just saw the movie.

The only thing I can say is this:

There is absolutely NOTHING in the world that can prepare you for this movie. At times, I was too short of breath to left, and at other times, I was too shocked to laugh. They really pushed the limit with this film on a number of levels, and some of the people in this film are going to face consequences for it.
  • MI-6 AGENT 003MI-6 AGENT 003 Posts: 53MI6 Agent
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but his skits on Da Ali G show were hilarious. Sasha is hilarious. I think the skit he did on SNL is awesome. I didn't realize he was the French driver in the Ricky Bobby movie until I started looking him up on IMDB. Good stuff.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I'm looking forward to seeing it. Part of me is a little wary because of the anti-semitic aspects of Borat's character, but if the film is as smart as I hope, and it is indeed a critique of the audience's bias and prejudices, then I should have no problem. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    I saw Borat opening night; I don't think anyone was quite prepared for it. I thought perhaps, having read all the news, and having seen Borat and the trouble he causes before, that I may not be quite as shocked as some of the other audience members.

I realised that I was wrong during the hotel room scene.

Despite how painful at times the film is to watch, I almost had respiratory problems because I was laughing so much. Some people have said that Choen should get an Oscar nomination for his completely believable, and yet equally unbelievable portrayal of this foul, chauvinist, barbaric Kazakhstani news presenter. The film is, in many respects, a masterpiece - people need to remember that this is a film actually making fun of Americans; without trying to cause too much offence.