James Bond the psycopath

If you'll notice Bond exhibits many characteristics similar to that of a psychopath:

1) He shows no remorse.
2) He exhibits superficial charm.
3) He will use people to get what he wants.

James Bond must be a certified psychopath!

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    First, welcome to the best Bond site on the net. {[]

Second, I completely disagree. You identified three characteristics but you can't evaluate Bond's personality based solely on those three characteristics (wether they are accurate or not.)

Now, you noted that Bond shows no remorse. If this were true (and it may be), then the reason would be that he is a 00 whose job does not allow him to feel remorse. However, one could argue that this is not true, as based on GE in which Alec asks him wether 'the vodka martinis drown out the screams of all the men that he killed.' So, wether or not this is true, I don't think it makes him psychopathic. You also stated that he exhibits superficial charm. That is quite debatable as one could argue (and I would) that he is genuinely charming who may usually entertain only sexual relationships but truly loves women. Finally you state that he will use people to get what he wants. That is probably true, considering his job description, although one could argue that he is used just as much (by M and the British Government.)

Finally, I think you are ignoring all of his less psychopathic qualities; he truly cares for people (Tracey, Ali Kerim Bey etc..), he knows the difference between right and wrong, he has a sense of honour and justice, he is loyal, he's willing to sacrifice his happiness for a higher purpose and he appreciates the finer things in life. So, no I don't think he's a certified psycho. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I don't think that Bond is a psychopath. But I do believe he has some deep psychological problems that require the attention of a psychoanalyst or a good priest.
    For entertainment's sake, let's hope he never sees either one.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I don't think that Bond is a psychopath. But I do believe he has some deep psychological problems that require the attention of a psychoanalyst or a good priest.

Interesting observation.In Ian Fleming's novels,James Bond occasionally visits the noted psychiatrist Sir James Molony.Dr.Molony is the man all the Double-Os have sessions with.Even government sanctioned executioners need to unburden themselves from time to time.

Like Bond's housekeeper May,and Bond's personal secretary,Loelia Ponsonby,Dr.Molony has yet to make an appearance in any of the Bond films.But maybe we'll see all three of these characters in future 007 films.