The Book of Bond

Hello,
I am new to the board, and have just now started collecting, and trying to live the Bond lifstyle, and thought that I would say hello and tell you all of my only(so far) piece of Bond. I have a copy of a book entitled "The Book of Bond, or Every Man His Own 007" by Lt. Col. William Tanner. It is a fun book with tips on grooming, dress, etc., as well as scenarios to play when on holidays to give a secret agent feel to your time abroad. Has anybody else ever heard of this book, or are you all inwardly laughing at me for my Bond virginity?

Comments

• The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Welcome, and no one is laughing....check out www.jamesbondlifestyle.com when you have a moment...
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    The Tanner book is a classic. Does yours have the reversible dust jacket?

Be sure to have a look at www.bondlife.com too. Though much of it is simply common sense advice using 007 to set the tone, it says more to me about "life style" than a closet full of Turnbull & Asser shirts.

*Edit: Just removed the comma to make your link work*
  • loochboyloochboy Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Hello,
    I lost the dust jacket a few decades ago, but the book is still in pretty good condition and is a first printing. $0.15 in a used book store!
  • Walther 00Walther 00 Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Welcome Loochboy!

Nope, I'm not laughing at you!

I also have this book, its pretty good. My copy cost me about £12 in good contion about a year ago.

Another similar book is "James Bond: A Report" by O.F. Snelling. If you can find it I would recommend it. It cover the literary Bond and all sorts of stuff, from his personality to girls and bad guys.

Best Regards,

Walther
    Walther 00 wrote:
    Another similar book is "James Bond: A Report" by O.F. Snelling. If you can find it I would recommend it. It cover the literary Bond and all sorts of stuff, from his personality to girls and bad guys.

That was actually the first Bond book I ever read. However, I'm thinking the poster is looking for guides to living like Bond, not references to how Bond lived. To that end, Snelling wouldn't be much help.

On a sort of middle ground, though, is a book mentioned in several other threads on this site: Dressed to Kill. I bought it expecting a laundry list (pun intended) of his wardrobe from film to film but it proved to be much more than that by giving terrific insight into why Bond has dressed as he does over the decades.
  • Walther 00Walther 00 Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Is that book commonly available?

Walther
  • JamesbondmmJamesbondmm Posts: 294MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Is this the one you mean? Shame about the price! :o
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,515Chief of Staff

That's the book - boy am I glad I bought it when it came out :))
    YNWA 97

I know I saw it listed on someone's site recently (I thought Bond Pix but just checked and "no" ...) at a reasonable price; they are out there!