351

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

First post. Just discovered the site...

Wow. Lots vitriol in this thread.

Considering the abuses the franchise has been put through over the decades CR06 rises above the dross and floats at or very near the top (FRWL and possibly GF occupying top spots IMHO).

Pros (a selection):
- Relatively gadget free. I for one was very happy to see the gadgets being played to a minimum in this film (though I thought the defibrillator in the glove box was a bit too convenient).
- Realistic character development. As a "reboot" it correctly places Bond in the formative stages of his career--emotionally and professionally.
- Straight Villains. Okay, a little tongue-in-cheek villainy isn't a bad thing, but it was nice to see Le Chiffre played straight.

Cons:
- Action, action, action. Lets face it, the action sequences that dominate the first half of the film are only filler, setting up the real action at the table. I realise this is a sop to the target market, but half of the action sequences' running time (as well choreographed as they were) could have been left on the editing floor without any injury to the film.
- Unrealistic relationship development. A minor gripe. I don't care how suave the Bonds have been in the past, winning over miss Vesper should have been a little more difficult... and Jame's would have to have been seriously deluded not to have sniffed things out.

All in all the best Bond film since the 60s.

Aaron ajb007/martini

352

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Solaris wrote:

has he only just seen Casino Royale recently or has he seen it and has been trying to put into words his horror ever since?


ajb007/lol ajb007/lol ajb007/lol ajb007/lol

He missed the dis on the gun-barrel sequence, the ugliness of the leading lady, the lack of silhouette babes in the title sequence, the disappearance of our beloved Moneypenny and crusty old Q.

353

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

It's becoming harder and harder not to put CR at the top of the Bond list, for reasons stated above (7289 and Luke make great points IMO).  Still give the overall edge to OHMSS, but only just.

354

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Strange, those reviews seemed spot on to me! ajb007/biggrin  I don't know, what we can agree on is how odd these split views are, like it's two different movies completely.
I don't mind sometimes thinking of renting CR to watch again, I like the idea of it and must admit that Craig has rejunivinated the series in a way that a Hugh Jackman type never could.
But odd memories of the film resurface to put me off. I mean, Vesper getting Bond's tux: "I need you to look like a man who belongs at that table..." Er, why? He's not there to negotiate a sale or to pitch an idea. It's not a job interview. He's there to play a game of poker. Surely what you need to do is wear what you're used to and comfortable with. He's not exactly trying to impress anyone.
And then Bond says, I need them all to be jealous of me cos you look so ravishing in your dress. It's all so hamfistedly written.  ajb007/rolleyes

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

355

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Coming soon:  CR QuibblesTM Thread #10,743 - Was Martin Campbell Cramped and Retaining Water During The Poker Scenes?

Last edited by Loeffelholz (6th Jan 2008 04:59)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

356

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Strange, those reviews seemed spot on to me! ajb007/biggrin  I don't know, what we can agree on is how odd these split views are, like it's two different movies completely.
I don't mind sometimes thinking of renting CR to watch again, I like the idea of it and must admit that Craig has rejunivinated the series in a way that a Hugh Jackman type never could.
But odd memories of the film resurface to put me off. I mean, Vesper getting Bond's tux: "I need you to look like a man who belongs at that table..." Er, why? He's not there to negotiate a sale or to pitch an idea. It's not a job interview. He's there to play a game of poker. Surely what you need to do is wear what you're used to and comfortable with. He's not exactly trying to impress anyone.
And then Bond says, I need them all to be jealous of me cos you look so ravishing in your dress. It's all so hamfistedly written.  ajb007/rolleyes

Nappy, if CR was ham-fisted, what do you call the scripts MR-DAD inclusive? ajb007/insane  Rump-footed, maybe? ajb007/tongue  Cuz there's a helluva lotta crap writing in the series the last 30 years or so.  CR may not be Pulitzer-worthy, but it's a huge step up from what we've been getting IMO.  Massive, massive improvement IMHO.

357

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Those films are a different genre, blueman. CR is to be compared with Die Hard, the Jason Bourne films and so on.

I could suspend my disbelief with the era you talked of, but not with CR. Actually that's a lie, the Brosnan films bar TWINE fell way short too!

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

358

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

"Different genre" shouldn't preclude quality writing/directing/acting IMHO.  If CR doesn't hit the right mix for you so be it, but differences aside it's STILL a huge step up from MR-DAD, and more in line with DN-OHMSS--finally and thank Heaven!  (IMHO and FWIW ajb007/smile )

359

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Everybody needs a hobby, and CR QuibblesTM is one of the least expensive one can undertake  ajb007/takecover  ...at least, until our marketing people get ahold of the idea... ajb007/biggrin  ...surely, there's some money to be made here, somehow...  ajb007/shifty

I've got it!!  CR QuibblesTM...Nap, you really need to design a board game  ajb007/lol

Last edited by Loeffelholz (6th Jan 2008 05:14)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

360

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Snakes And Plot Holes!

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

361

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Well I’ve been very tight-lipped about my feelings concerning CR ever since it premiered.  I know it’s considered by many to be the best Bond ever.  This makes me feel like I’m in a very small minority because I couldn’t disagree more.

I tried ranking the movie with all the others, but I simply couldn’t.  Not necessarily because I think it’s so bad it’s like an Ed Wood production, but more because it seems nothing like a Bond film.  It’s just a real oddity to me, like the 1954 TV version of CR, or the 1967 headache-inducing spoof. 

Even more puzzling is how so many Bond fans for decades have insisted NSNA isn’t canon, but I don’t see how that can be a legitimate argument anymore.  CR actually does more to legitimize NSNA then Kevin McClory ever imagined.  Ironic, since Eon would like you to believe NSNA never happened.  (And they even have the uncanny distinction of being the only two Bond films where Felix Leiter is black!  ajb007/smile  )  NSNA may not be a very good Bond film, but at least it seems more like a Bond film than CR.

Some reading this post will surely come to the conclusion that I’m unfamiliar with the original novels.  Not true.  I’ve read every one by Fleming and Gardner.  My favorite Fleming novel is DN.  In the movie TLD, I thought Timothy Dalton really nailed the character, and felt he was a worthy successor to Roger Moore.  I enjoy catching little references to the books in the movies.  And my three top favorite films are very faithful to the Fleming versions – OHMSS, FRWL and GF.  (Actually, the movie GF is even better than the book.)

So what is it?  Why am I so negative towards this movie?  I think some of it has to do with the utter contempt CR seems to have for any past tradition with the Bond series.  It makes me wonder why the producers still make Bond films if they are so ashamed of the last 40 years that they have to pretend like it never even happened.  I just see cheap shots made at the legacy all over the place – from the PTS to Bond’s choice of car rental to his response for how he wants his martini prepared to the film’s unenthusiastic score.

You could argue that this was how Bond was always supposed to be.  But I maintain that Fleming’s DN novel was even more fantastical than the movie based on it, so I don’t really buy into the whole theory that James Bond is supposed to be more grounded.  And I see no proof that Daniel Craig is the way Fleming wanted his agent portrayed.

I might still be a little bitter about how the whole thing was handled with Brosnan.  If you want to reboot the series, fine – reboot the series.  But at least give the guy who saved your franchise a proper send-off.  The fanboy in me would have loved to have seen one final adventure with Brosnan that actually brings closure to the entire series.  (A revenge tale involving Irma Bunt would have had me giddy with anticipation.)  Instead, DAD ends like any other Bond film, and most will say not exactly on a high note.

Maybe if I could have said goodbye to the James Bond I’ve known my entire life, I would have been more accepting of CR.  Instead, CR strikes me as being more guilty than MR of wanting to be something it’s not.  MR was a Star Wars wannabe, and CR desperately wants to be Jason Bourne.  I like the frantic seriousness of Jason Bourne and I like the escapist fun of James Bond.  These two tastes don’t have to be mutually exclusive, and it is possible to like both.

I truly wonder how other life-long James Bond fans can say this is the best Bond film ever when it resembles nothing like the wit and charm of the character that made us fans in the first place.

Last edited by rennervision (8th Jan 2008 19:55)

362

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Strange, those reviews seemed spot on to me! ajb007/biggrin  I don't know, what we can agree on is how odd these split views are, like it's two different movies completely.
I don't mind sometimes thinking of renting CR to watch again, I like the idea of it and must admit that Craig has rejunivinated the series in a way that a Hugh Jackman type never could.
But odd memories of the film resurface to put me off. I mean, Vesper getting Bond's tux: "I need you to look like a man who belongs at that table..." Er, why? He's not there to negotiate a sale or to pitch an idea. It's not a job interview. He's there to play a game of poker. Surely what you need to do is wear what you're used to and comfortable with. He's not exactly trying to impress anyone.
And then Bond says, I need them all to be jealous of me cos you look so ravishing in your dress. It's all so hamfistedly written.  ajb007/rolleyes


I know you don't like CR, Nape, which is cool, but your antipathy is so strong the movie just can't win for losing. 

Are you serious when you say you're put off by Vesper's comment about the tux?  Do you really have to ask "why" that exchange occurred? I've heard several people, even people who enjoyed the film, gripe that the romance was underwritten. That always blows me away. It's as if those folks have never flirted before, or even seen movie characters flirt before. Underwritten? the only way to make Bond-Vesper's attraction to each other plainer would be great big yellow arrows onscreen that point at the characters with the caption "They're hot for each other." 

I suppose you would have preferred for Bond to show up at the poker table in sandals and Bermuda shorts. After all, as you correctly point out, he's not there for a job interview. Hopefully EON will take the hint in Bond 22 and have more "bond-like" moments like that ajb007/lol

I found the Vesper dinner jacket exchange to be typical of the CR script: witty and thoughtful, in the sense that the writer obviously had sat down and seriously pondered Bond both as a character in a particular situation and as an icon before setting pen to paper. It was a marked contrast to the strained, by-the-numbers double-entendres we've suffered with for the last 30 years. Bond, especially in the movies, has always has a reputation for sartorial splendor. Wouldn't it be fun if a young woman challenged that fashion sense? Especially if Bond first tried to push his wardrobe sense on her? Imagine this young woman turning the tables on our hero. It's a nice touch, just like Bond's "Do I look like I care" dismissal of the martini, which works for the same reason: Bond's choice of martini is legendary, but one can easily imagine that after losing several of the Queen's millions, he just wants a #$!* drink. Same thing with the "Stephanie Broadchest" quip, which simutaneously allowed Bond to flirt in a natural way with Vesper and and gave a nod to the Bond tradition of outrageous female names.

If that's hamfisted writing, fix me a sandwich ...

363

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Another hole in CASINO ROYALE...somebody please explain how Mr. White got his hands on the briefcase after it plunged into the raging water.

364

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

donaldgrant wrote:

Another hole in CASINO ROYALE...somebody please explain how Mr. White got his hands on the briefcase after it plunged into the raging water.

They're not the same briefcase. Vesper was trying to doublecross the Venice guy when Bond showed up, so I assume what she gave him was an empty briefcase. I suspect the one Mr. White walked off with contained the money.

365

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Not just before I'm going to bed, highhopes!

I've nothing against flirting, I do it online with Lady Rose all the time!  ajb007/biggrin  And it's a darn sight wittier than what Bond comes up with (back me up on this Rose...  ajb007/amazed  ajb007/wink )

I don't remember using the words underwritten, it's overwritten more like. The chemistry between Bourne and his gal in the first film is more like it for me, and yep, the seen in the shower in CR is on the money. Again, why does he need a posh dinner jacket? No one is that well dressed are they? It's not like Eliza Doolittle turning up at the ball, now is it? This isn't posh gambling like Blades in the 1950s, more the Vegas type thing where anyone can come and have a go if they're hard enough.

Nowl if Vesper had said: "Wear this outfit, it will rattle Le Chiffre because it's his favourite outfit himself... or, it will kill him to see a rough diamond dress posh" Or, "the atmosphere there isn't what you're used to, you just won't fit in if you dress the way you usually do, I happen to know these things..." then you're talking...

Everything about CR winds me up.

And you wind me up too, highhopes!  ajb007/lol

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

366

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Oh no, and now Blueman's reading this, he's gonna chip in too!  ajb007/amazed  ajb007/lol

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

367

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

rennervision wrote:

I truly wonder how other life-long James Bond fans can say this is the best Bond film ever when it resembles nothing like the wit and charm of the character that made us fans in the first place.

I guess some of us might start by not accepting your premise,  ajb007/wink  because to me this Bond film bears a striking resemblance to the character that made me a fan in the first place...and it didn't happen on the silver screen...

I think the die-hard Brozzer fans will always have a bit of a chip on their shoulder where (Formerly) Poor DannyTM is concerned, and that's a shame, but time moves on, Bonds change and the tone of his films does tend to evolve over time.  I've been seeing Bonds come and go since Connery; the parting of ways hasn't always been pretty, and the films have occasionally not been what I would prefer...but I've learnt that patience is rewarded, and a long-term strategic view works best. 

Someday you'll get another Bond you like---but right now, I've got one  ajb007/bond

See you in the queue for #22!   ajb007/martini

Last edited by Loeffelholz (9th Jan 2008 03:01)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

368

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Loeffelholz wrote:
rennervision wrote:

I truly wonder how other life-long James Bond fans can say this is the best Bond film ever when it resembles nothing like the wit and charm of the character that made us fans in the first place.

I guess some of us might start by not accepting your premise,  ajb007/wink  because to me this Bond film bears a striking resemblance to the character that made me a fan in the first place...and it didn't happen on the silver screen...

I think the die-hard Brozzer fans will always have a bit of a chip on their shoulder where (Formerly) Poor DannyTM is concerned, and that's a shame, but time moves on, Bonds change and the tone of his films does tend to evolve over time.  I've been seeing Bonds come and go since Connery; the parting of ways hasn't always been pretty, and the films have occasionally not been what I would prefer...but I've learnt that patience is rewarded, and a long-term strategic view works best. 

Someday you'll get another Bond you like---but right now, I've got one  ajb007/bond

See you in the queue for #22!   ajb007/martini

Ah yes ... the good old days, when the writers would actually name the Bond girl "Christmas" ... for no apparent reason other than to allow Bond in the final, obligatory Bond-in-bed-with-the-Bond-girl scene (the one that follows the obligatory Bond-leads-the-assault-on-the-villain's-stronghold-by-the-troops/ninjas/commandos scene} to crack that he thought "Christmas only came once a year" like some oily lounge lizard; those charming pigeons that do double takes just like they do in Disney cartoons ...; the invisible cars and narrow escapes down mountain trails in cello cases; the canned "Q scene" ( ... Really Double-0 Seven ... pay attention ...) repeated practically verbatim from movie to movie. How witty, how charming. I sometimes think all EON would have to do to satisfy some fans is reissue the same movie with a different title, year after year. I suppose that just for the sake of variety, some years the figure in the gun barrel sequence could crouch when he fires his gun, and stand upright in others. Sure, the purists will howl because everything isn't numbingly the same. But some of us got tired of their missionary-position Bond long ago. The novelty wore off 25 years ago. I say meet the new Bond -- thankfully he's not like the old Bond. The new one is more like the 007 I used to love. And if there's a resemblance to Jason Bourne, that's because Bourne, Harry Palmer, Matt Helm or any other secret agent of popular culture that you can name, are basically riffs on the original -- and that's Bond. Bourne only seems new because Bond has strayed so far from his roots.

And to think CR's writing has been described as ham-fisted. I think what we're witnessing here in some folks is a kind of cinematic Stockholm Syndrome: keep 'em on a diet of crap long enough, and at some point the crap starts to taste like steak.

369

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

highhopes wrote:

Ah yes ... the good old days, when the writers would actually name the Bond girl "Christmas" ... for no apparent reason other than to crack that he thought "Christmas only came once a year" like some oily lounge lizard;

Say what you want about TWINE, but leave that extraordianry line alone. ajb007/mad ajb007/wink

highhopes wrote:

How witty, how charming. I sometimes think all EON would have to do to satisfy some fans is reissue the same movie with a different title, year after year.

Not quite. LALD is completely different to TSWLM which is completely diffeent to FYEo which is completely different to GE etc... I think that you love CR s much that you've become blind to the fact that, with a few exceptions, each film is completely different. If they were the same, nobody (except for me ajb007/wink) would rank the films. ajb007/lol Plus, HH, if the only reason you love CR is that it's different to previous films, how objective are you? I mean, you're lkely to like anything Eon throws at you as long as it's new. 

highhopes wrote:

Bourne only seems new because Bond has strayed so far from his roots.

And CR is similar to DN-TB how? I'm sorry HH, but you'll have to try alot harder to convince many of us that CR is more like the 60's Bonds than Moore or Brosnan. One if the disappointing things about CR IMO is that it does things that would never have occured in the 60's films (such as, drum roll, Bond's breaking into M's apartment.)

highhopes wrote:

And to think CR's writing has been described as ham-fisted. I think what we're witnessing here in some folks is a kind of cinematic Stockholm Syndrome: keep 'em on a diet of crap long enough, and at some point the crap starts to taste like steak.

"I have no armour left. You've stripped it from me. Whatever is left of me - whatever is left of me - whatever I am - I'm yours." You think that is good writing? ajb007/amazed You use the word hamfisted but how else would you describe such a clumsy piece of dialogue?

And then there's the shower scene in which Bond is sucking Vesper's finges. IMO it's one of the creepiest scenes in the Bond series. Is Bond a vampire or something? ajb007/crap

HH, the moment I saw your condescension and derision, I knew I was home. ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by Dan Same (9th Jan 2008 07:09)

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

370

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Dan Same wrote:
highhopes wrote:

Ah yes ... the good old days, when the writers would actually name the Bond girl "Christmas" ... for no apparent reason other than to crack that he thought "Christmas only came once a year" like some oily lounge lizard;

Say what you want about TWINE, but leave that extraordianry line alone. ajb007/mad ajb007/wink

highhopes wrote:

How witty, how charming. I sometimes think all EON would have to do to satisfy some fans is reissue the same movie with a different title, year after year.

Not quite. LALD is completely different to TSWLM which is completely diffeent to FYEo which is completely different to GE etc... I think that you love CR s much that you've become blind to the fact that, with a few exceptions, each film is completely different. If they were the same, nobody (except for me ajb007/wink) would rank the films. ajb007/lol Plus, HH, if the only reason you love CR is that it's different to previous films, how objective are you? I mean, you're lkely to like anything Eon throws at you as long as it's new. 

highhopes wrote:

Bourne only seems new because Bond has strayed so far from his roots.

And CR is similar to DN-TB how? I'm sorry HH, but you'll have to try alot harder to convince many of us that CR is more like the 60's Bonds than Moore or Brosnan. One if the disappointing things about CR IMO is that it does things that would never have occured in the 60's films (such as, drum roll, Bond's breaking into M's apartment.)

highhopes wrote:

And to think CR's writing has been described as ham-fisted. I think what we're witnessing here in some folks is a kind of cinematic Stockholm Syndrome: keep 'em on a diet of crap long enough, and at some point the crap starts to taste like steak.

"I have no armour left. You've stripped it from me. Whatever is left of me - whatever is left of me - whatever I am - I'm yours." You think that is good writing? ajb007/amazed You use the word hamfisted but how else would you describe such a clumsy piece of dialogue?

And then there's the shower scene in which Bond is sucking Vesper's finges. IMO it's one of the creepiest scenes in the Bond series. Is Bond a vampire or something? ajb007/crap

HH, the moment I saw your condescension and derision, I knew I was home. ajb007/biggrin

Dan, the moment I saw you associate the "Christmas" line with the word "extraordinary," I knew you were about to trip over the doorstep. ajb007/biggrin

371

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

I would observe that CR is different from ALL the Bond films that preceeded it, because it bravely tossed out all the set pieces and started out with a pre-oo James Bond.

With the other "first" Bond - DN, oo7 sprang onto the screen as a fully developed charecter - a ten year vet of the Secret Service. Bond IS what you see on the screen - a womanizing,  ruthless agent with a like of Smirnoff Vodka, as handy with a quip as he is with a Walther.

CR's oo7, has more interesting charecter traits. He is still ruthless - but single minded, and rather than being cool - he loses his temper and acts rashly. He is of superior ability - able to burgle the bosses apartment and discover her name - secrets seemingly way beyond his supposed skill level. Like the DN Bond, he can kill without brooding over it - but more interesting is the fact that this new Bond is able to question the direction of his life - and still emotionally vunerable enough to fall in love, and want a "normal" existance.

The shower scen in CR is wonderful - because it shows us a charecter who realises the brutality of his job, and how that effects a "normal" person - that "vampire" sucking of Vesper's fingers, is Bond's attempt to assume responsibility for the guilt and horror Vesper feels. I think it's one of the best scenes I have watched in ANY film.

Unlike previous Bond's, there is no "diddle" ending with Bond and the latest cutie fooling around under a parachute or in a boat. Like the book the Bond of Casino Royale is on a mission of vengance against people who are enemies of his goverment and also happen to have wounded him personally. There IS more depth to CR'06 than previous Bond's.

It is curious to me that some fans prefer the comic Bond, who marches through predictable set pieces with a casual wink and dispatches villians with a clever joke shop toy, rather than getting into the mud. This is not surprising because many of those who prefer "comic Bond" have yet to crack open an Ian Fleming Novel. For Fans and Producers, ignoring the novels is inexcusable!

CR'06 has taken Bond in a new direction, a rather brave choice for the producers who let (IMO) Bond self destruct with the previous entry - DAD.

In the meantime, for those of you who cannot stand the "New Bond" there are those marvellous DVD's to watch - something we did not have back in the "old days".

372

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

It's interesting that oftentimes when someone doesn't like CR, that person is accused of prefering the 'comic Bond' (which is typically an assumption on the part of the accuser). Does CR try to have more depth? Sure it does. But in my opinion, trying and succeeding are two different things. I personally didn't care for CR for the implicit reason that it was NOT an accurate depiction of Bond in CR the Novel. Bond was not a rookie agent, prone to make rash decision and disrespect the authority of his superior. CR's Bond, IMO, represents neither the character that I enjoy in the novels nor in the previous films (as disparate as those two incarnations are). Eon crafted a Bond film which captured neither the sophisticated depth of the literary Bond, nor the enjoyable escapism of the earlier cinematic Bond. I was hoping to get at least one of those and got neither. This is why TLD and OHMSS remain consistently high on my list because I feel that those films came the closest in combining the two mediums.

Last edited by darenhat (9th Jan 2008 19:18)

373

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

highhopes wrote:

Ah yes ... the good old days, when the writers would actually name the Bond girl "Christmas" ... for no apparent reason other than to allow Bond in the final, obligatory Bond-in-bed-with-the-Bond-girl scene (the one that follows the obligatory Bond-leads-the-assault-on-the-villain's-stronghold-by-the-troops/ninjas/commandos scene} to crack that he thought "Christmas only came once a year" like some oily lounge lizard; those charming pigeons that do double takes just like they do in Disney cartoons ...; the invisible cars and narrow escapes down mountain trails in cello cases; the canned "Q scene" ( ... Really Double-0 Seven ... pay attention ...) repeated practically verbatim from movie to movie. How witty, how charming. I sometimes think all EON would have to do to satisfy some fans is reissue the same movie with a different title, year after year. I suppose that just for the sake of variety, some years the figure in the gun barrel sequence could crouch when he fires his gun, and stand upright in others. Sure, the purists will howl because everything isn't numbingly the same. But some of us got tired of their missionary-position Bond long ago. The novelty wore off 25 years ago. I say meet the new Bond -- thankfully he's not like the old Bond. The new one is more like the 007 I used to love. And if there's a resemblance to Jason Bourne, that's because Bourne, Harry Palmer, Matt Helm or any other secret agent of popular culture that you can name, are basically riffs on the original -- and that's Bond. Bourne only seems new because Bond has strayed so far from his roots.

And to think CR's writing has been described as ham-fisted. I think what we're witnessing here in some folks is a kind of cinematic Stockholm Syndrome: keep 'em on a diet of crap long enough, and at some point the crap starts to taste like steak.

Whew...thank goodness we have leading lights like you to prevent us all from devolving into cavemen!  Can we call your esteemed group The Enlightened OnesTM to show that we recognize your brilliance?  Or is trademarking only reserved for the clever?

Hilly...you old devil!

374

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

Sir Hillary Bray wrote:
highhopes wrote:

Ah yes ... the good old days, when the writers would actually name the Bond girl "Christmas" ... for no apparent reason other than to allow Bond in the final, obligatory Bond-in-bed-with-the-Bond-girl scene (the one that follows the obligatory Bond-leads-the-assault-on-the-villain's-stronghold-by-the-troops/ninjas/commandos scene} to crack that he thought "Christmas only came once a year" like some oily lounge lizard; those charming pigeons that do double takes just like they do in Disney cartoons ...; the invisible cars and narrow escapes down mountain trails in cello cases; the canned "Q scene" ( ... Really Double-0 Seven ... pay attention ...) repeated practically verbatim from movie to movie. How witty, how charming. I sometimes think all EON would have to do to satisfy some fans is reissue the same movie with a different title, year after year. I suppose that just for the sake of variety, some years the figure in the gun barrel sequence could crouch when he fires his gun, and stand upright in others. Sure, the purists will howl because everything isn't numbingly the same. But some of us got tired of their missionary-position Bond long ago. The novelty wore off 25 years ago. I say meet the new Bond -- thankfully he's not like the old Bond. The new one is more like the 007 I used to love. And if there's a resemblance to Jason Bourne, that's because Bourne, Harry Palmer, Matt Helm or any other secret agent of popular culture that you can name, are basically riffs on the original -- and that's Bond. Bourne only seems new because Bond has strayed so far from his roots.

And to think CR's writing has been described as ham-fisted. I think what we're witnessing here in some folks is a kind of cinematic Stockholm Syndrome: keep 'em on a diet of crap long enough, and at some point the crap starts to taste like steak.

Whew...thank goodness we have leading lights like you to prevent us all from devolving into cavemen!  Can we call your esteemed group The Enlightened OnesTM to show that we recognize your brilliance?  Or is trademarking only reserved for the clever?

ajb007/cheers You bet your life you can, Hill! I'd hate to think I had all those calling cards printed up for nothing ... Although to be honest, they read "The Enlightened One."

375

Re: Casino Royale Reviews

highhopes wrote:
Sir Hillary Bray wrote:

Whew...thank goodness we have leading lights like you to prevent us all from devolving into cavemen!  Can we call your esteemed group The Enlightened OnesTM to show that we recognize your brilliance?  Or is trademarking only reserved for the clever?

ajb007/cheers You bet your life you can, Hill! I'd hate to think I had all those calling cards printed up for nothing ... Although to be honest, they read "The Enlightened One."

Then...by the powers IN-vested IN me by this parish, I hereby commandeer this phrase, and all those trademarks within. ajb007/lol

[In best John Belushi Bluto voice]...from now on, your AJB name is TEOTM. ajb007/cheers

Hilly...you old devil!