If Not Roberts, Who?

PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
Most if not all of us know alot of casting trivia surrounding the films (e.g., Raquel Welch was first cast as Domino, Lois Chiles was first approached for XXX, etc.). It's interesting, though, that with as much debate as we've had over the casting of Tanya Roberts, I can't think that I've heard any other name in connection with Stacy. Anyone know who else was considered? Was anyone else considered?

Comments

• JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    i really don't have any idea, but, Tanya Roberts besides being one of the best/worst BIMBOS in the series (sorry JJF, but is how i see it) was a Charlie's Angel, so, american tv viewer were the target...
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Johmss wrote:
    i really don't have any idea, but, Tanya Roberts besides being one of the best/worst BIMBOS in the series
    Best/worst. Make up your mind. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    The only other name I have heard associated with Stacy was Priscilla Presley. At that time, she was appearing in Dallas and, at 40 years old, the age gap and maturity level might not have been as noticeable (as with Maud Adams the film before). From what I understand she was seriously considered, and screen tested for the role, but Cubby preferred Tanya Roberts and so that's where they went. I wonder if Priscilla failed Cubby's "tit test" that also put paid to Julie Christie in the 60s!
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I heard Tanya was the only one up for the role, as John Glen saw her in the Beastmaster with her very enchanting blue eyes.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    I heard Tanya was the only one up for the role, as John Glen saw her in the Beastmaster with her very enchanting blue eyes.

The more oft told story about AVTAK is that Stacy's final characterization was largely the result of Glen not being able to stand Roberts. Regardless, I can't imagine Roberts being a sole candidate; EON doesn't seem to work that way.
    PoorMansJB wrote:

The more oft told story about AVTAK is that Stacy's final characterization was largely the result of Glen not being able to stand Roberts. Regardless, I can't imagine Roberts being a sole candidate; EON doesn't seem to work that way.

Really? I never knew that at all!
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Oh my god, Prisilla Presly. Now thats one saucy minx. I loved her in the naked gun movies.

Anyway, I also heard that Roberts was prima donna like on the set, including her refusing to film the mine scene while not wearing a thinly cut construction suit. The Roger's line "pity you couldnt find one that fits" was ad libbed, but Glen kept it in anyway.

As for another actress, somehow I dont think it would have changed too much. The part was poorly written and was in dire need of script polish.

JFF, what if they had promoted Alison Doody to the leading lady role, how would you feel about that?
    Then I guess I would be SSF. But I'm always intrigued by the small roles, seeing what they could be.

Stacey Sutton Fan... SSF... doesn't have the same ring to it. If Jenny was May Day's part instead I would've changed my tune, but I love Alison so much when she plays a cold Nazi-type!

Mmm... so I'd still be JFF, and Stacey would still be there, but if she wasn't I'd hope Jenny would be the main girl and Stacey would be the Jenny role.
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Johmss wrote:
    i really don't have any idea, but, Tanya Roberts besides being one of the best/worst BIMBOS in the series
    Best/worst. Make up your mind. :D

well, at least you let her in the BIMBOS category.

she is the Best Bimbo because... i have no idea if she is a wonderfull actress, but her portrayal as Staycy (the character even in the script was as dull as she make her look like) she makes it real, so if she acted, that is the best bimbo performance in a lot of time.

Which it drives me to the worst bimbo part: i haven't see this movie a lot, but i just don't recall something rigth from her... i just didn't saw her doing anything interesting.

it also depend of your type of bimbo ranking: more bimbo makes her a better or a worse bimbo than... i don't know, Tiffany Case? is your number one bimbo in that position for being extremely bimbo or because she is a bimbo but did something right?

About Prisilla, i really had no clue at all
  • The Home SecretaryThe Home Secretary Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    I wish they had promoted Fiona Fullerton to Roberts' role...
    I wish they had promoted Fiona Fullerton to Roberts' role...

NO! Tanya Roberts was great as Stacey, people just can't appreciate it. Stacey was strong, hardworking and determined but she was also a spoiled princess, not accustomed to international intrigue or have thugs trying to raid her house.

All in all, Stacey Sutton was your average American working woman who was going about her day until some Nazi experiment tycoon decided to buy out her shares to her company Sutton Oil. Not used to the business end of things, Stacey doesn't really know how to combat this but tries the best she can and still tries to fight the issue which costs her all her furniture, showing what a determined woman she is.

Stacey: I'd sell everything and live in a tent before I give up.

While Roberts isn't the best actress, this line is delivered superbly by her and afterward she tosses the check aside. This money could have been used to restore her house, do many things for her, but she wanted her family legacy to live on and didn't want this jerk impugning on it.

She has never had a man in life that can protect her as Bond could and while they did it in the shower at the end, their relationship was more platonic than anything and seemed more like good friends. She also doesn't know how to fight, but that doesn't mean she won't try, she tries to fight the thugs in her house, fails, but still crushes their morale with a crushing blow by her grandfather's ashes!

She breaks into City Hall and almost gets barbequed in the elevator shaft, which, anyone here wouldn't just stand there pleasantly while the man who has protected you ever since all the ordeals have happened LEAVE you and nearly ABANDON you in a burning elevator shaft on a loose cable. He saves her life and she helps him get away on the firetruck, proving that she's also loyal to her cause, even though Bond nearly left her for dead (though he had every intention of helping her, I'd be a bit nervous if he left too since I have no escape-a-burning-elevator-shaft skills).

Stacey is also strong in the sense that when women immediately jump into bed with him, she flat out rejects him while he's trying to get information from her AND bed her at the same time. She lets loose nothing important as she has the brains to know that she doesn't know him and he could be very well a "Zorin stooge".

Bond: Oh by the way, you didn't say what part of the states you come from, miss?
    Stacey: No, I didn't.

Bond: Now I shall be all alone.
    Stacey: (sarcastically) Oh I doubt that.

People don't see how well Roberts did with the role, in my opinion, Stacey is a VERY well written character in Bond movies, and in fact, Christmas Jones was a similar one (She was originally a Christmas Island native unsatisfied with the treatment of the land and was therefore cleaning it up by becoming a nuclear physicist, like how Stacey became a geologist to take over Sutton Oil when the time came)

So Tanya Roberts, your performance may be dragged through the mud, but the performance will always have a fan in me.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Sorry, JFF. But I am with The Home Secretary. Not that I am saying Tanya Roberts was bad, she wasn't. It's just that Fiona Fullerton was more suitable for the role of Stacey Sutton, in my opinion.

1. Fullerton was the better actress.
    2. She had more chemistry with Roger Moore in their brief scenes together than was the case between Moore and Roberts.
    3. In terms of age and appearance Fullerton would have been more credible as the leading Bond girl opposite Moore.
    The age, granted.

But the love scene in the end, of both FYEO and AVTAK seemed more like a "Thank you for saving my life" rather than a "I LOVE YOU JAMES!" type deal.

Stacey and Melina both seemed like his friends rather than a girl he could fall in love with and other things.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Stacey and Melina both seemed like his friends rather than a girl he could fall in love with and other things.

Its funny, I always thought it was a bit more father/daughter age - perhaps that could lead to some form of attraction.